- Text Size +

 

Brian Kinney was the definition of concentration no matter what the task. Whether it be business or pleasure didn't matter. He was a man that exercised complete control over his environment... that pertained to both objects and people alike. He didn't like surprises, nor did he tolerate disobedience, or disrespect. Those variables held no place in his well-ordered world. He would never accept them in his life.

 

He heard his office door opening with a soft click, his eyes never wavering from the file in front of him. His secretary had reminded him of his eleven o'clock appointment mere moments ago. It was his policy that visitors never knocked before entering. He didn't like the annoyance of that tapping sound, nor did he find it suitable to shout for entrance across the large room that had a large distance between the door and his desk. Walking to open the door and usher his visitors in was just as unthinkable to him. His time was extremely valuable. He didn't waste it on anything... or anyone, unless it pleased him to do so.

 

His concentration was broken when he heard a gasp of surprise, along with the scuffling sound of feet tripping on the carpet. He pursed his lips together before closing the file, immediately deciding this interview was getting off to a bad start already. He always determined when a meeting would be started... not the visitor that was given the gift of entry. As his head lifted to see the body ungracefully approaching his desk, his eyebrows shot up in surprise... the attractive body that approached him being the opposite of the female he had been expecting.

 

Eyes slowly traveling over the blond man, he forced himself to fasten them intently on the other man's eyes. It was his custom when he conducted a business meeting. He excelled at reading people. The eyes were where he found himself learning the most. Instantly, he wished he wasn't such a stickler for his own personal protocol, but not even this enticing specimen of a man would divert him from his standard behavior. In this case, however, he could have just as easily feasted his eyes on other parts of the man's anatomy, but not right now. His brow arching, Brian needlessly observed, "You are not quite the appointment I was expecting..."

 

"Uhhh, I'm sorry I didn't call ahead first, Mr. Kinney. I'm Justin Taylor, and I'm here to take the place of my roommate, Daphne Chanders. She was suddenly taken ill last night, and I didn't want her to miss this opportunity." Justin bit at his lower lip, noticing the beautiful, but stern man watching him closely, almost flinching at the ice in the other man's eyes. "I hope that's alright with you... S-Sir."

 

Justin Taylor. A name he just might have to remember. Brian's eyes narrowed on the young man, his gaze touching on the lip his teeth had just savaged. An instant thought came to his mind - he would love to bite into that lip in primal passion. His lips compressing once again, he forced himself to remember the man of control he was, and not move around his desk to precisely do that. "Are you a classmate of Miss Chanders? Or... something more?"

 

"Neither, Sir." Justin flushed at the intense gaze the billionaire tycoon continued to level on him. He felt he was being assessed on some level... but what kind he didn't know. He just knew he felt off-balance and awkward in a way he didn't understand. "We've been best friends since childhood. I just wanted to help her out. This interview meant everything to her."

 

"I see..." Brian murmured, the inflection in his tone bland at this point, not letting the young man know if his visit would be a success or not. "I hope that her illness isn't serious..."

 

"No... not at all. It's just the flu. I'm sure she'll be fine in a few days." Justin shifted nervously on his feet, wishing the watchful man would either ask him to sit down or throw him out on his ass. Even though he wanted to help Daphne, at this moment, he didn't care which was the outcome. He patted the small briefcase he held in his hand, stammering when he explained, "Daphne had everything prepared. I just need to read the questions and record the answers. That is... if you are still willing."

 

Continuing to assess the hot, young blond, Brian inclined his head, regardless of this meeting not being what he had expected, deciding to go forward with it - at least, for now. "Have a seat, Mr. Taylor." Deliberately he looked down at his watch, a sly smirk curving his lips. "I had only allotted Miss Chanders fifteen minutes of my time. As it is, you have used up ten of those precious minutes. I'd get on with this quickly..."

 

"B-but that's not fair. I- I had no idea." Justin shook his head in disbelief. Could one man be this ridiculously gorgeous and so self-absorbed at the same time? As he viewed the bored, yet intense look on Brian Kinney's face, he realized he had his answer. Yes, it was more than possible.

 

"Mr. Taylor, I am the owner of a multimillion-dollar enterprise. I don't have time to play meaningless games. My time is extremely valuable... and I don't misuse it." His eyes continued to probe the beauty of the expressive blond's face, despite the awkwardness of this meeting, finding himself immensely intrigued by this Justin Taylor. "For the last time... have a seat and begin your questions. I will give you as much time as I can."

 

Hurriedly taking a seat, Justin pulled out his list of questions and placed the small recorder on the edge of the polished desk. "With your permission, I would like to record from here on out..."

 

Motioning his hand in what was an agreement, Brian told the boy, "Proceed."

 

"Thank you, Sir." Justin looked down at his series of questions, oblivious to the hunger in the older man's eyes, at the moment in a mad rush to get through the list as quickly as possible... keeping in mind he was doing this for Daphne and for no other reason. "Mr. Kinney, you reached your fortune at a very young age. To what do you attribute your success?"

 

Forcing himself not to roll his eyes at the basic and uninspired initial question, he reminded himself that young Mr. Taylor was reading from a script, and not forming his own inquiries. Truthfully, he answered, "People. Pure and simple. I am an expert at reading people. In fact, I study their habits and learn precisely what makes them who they are. I surround myself with loyal and obedient employees... ones that I can trust. When a man can do that, well, there is no roof. The sky's the limit."

 

Damn, he's arrogant. Justin couldn't get the thought out of his mind. He should be repulsed by that knowledge, but somehow he found it exciting... "I get the feeling you are very controlling, Mr. Kinney."

 

Brian's eyes flashed. He wasn't certain what had inspired his thought, but it was coiled in his stomach like a burning ache that demanded satisfaction. He wanted this man. Was it the overall perfection of the hot blond? No, he didn't think so. He had met and seduced many men with similar beauty. No, it was so much more. The nervous gestures the young man often displayed, as well as his respectful banter, brought specific desires to the forefront. Not taking this man - here and now - would be his ultimate challenge. "You have no idea..." he rasped, his eyes riveted on the teeth that continued to bite on that perfectly proportioned lower lip. "I exercise control in all that I do. No exceptions. Ever..."

 

Detouring away from Daphne's list of questions, Justin asked, "Does anyone ever challenge that iron will that you impose?"

 

"I have no problem with being challenged... as long as it is done respectfully. Obedience and respect are always a prerequisite. Those that cannot abide by that don't belong in my employ..."

 

Justin shivered. Again, back to his earlier thought. How could one man be so arrogant? He was a control freak. How did his staff survive around him? He realized he would probably leave this interview with even more questions than Daphne had listed. The biggest one, though, at least in his mind was simple - why did he find this man so damned intriguing? Continuing to veer from Daphne's questions, Justin found himself responding, "You speak as if you own your employees. I can't imagine they all find comfort in that."

 

"I pay my employees extremely well, Mr. Taylor. They understand that a certain standard comes with that. I am accustomed to getting what I want." His eyes narrowed sharply on the blond... on his mouth especially. "I sense that you are diverting from your list."

 

Flushing guiltily, Justin answered, "Yeah, maybe a bit."

 

Brian smiled his approval. "Good boy. I admire a man who knows his mind, and who answers truthfully. Honesty is another key factor to me."

 

"I'd be a fool not to be honest when you just told me how skilled you are at reading people..."

 

"Very well spoken..." he answered in admiration. "Since you are improvising on the questions... how about you ask me one that you most want to ask. I'm sure there must be something you are curious about."

 

Justin bit at his lip again, his eyes catching the other man's darkening on the action. His own eyes opened wide at the unmasked hunger in the hazel eyes. Fuck... this man was mesmerizing, he thought. "Uhhh, yeah, perhaps there is. Are you gay, Mr. Kinney?"

 

Brian lost his control for the first time in what had been longer than he could remember. Reaching over, he pressed the pause button on the tape recorder, having just enough sense of mind to do so. He always kept his personal life out of business. It was an unchanging factor in his life. He wasn't about to change that process now. He responded with a growl humming in his throat, "If you don't stop biting down on that ridiculously plump lower lip, I'll be dragging you across my desk to show you..."

 

Justin gasped. His breathing becoming erratic, he whispered, "I'll take that as a yes, then."

 

Cursing under his breath that this man had somehow caused him to lose his standard business decorum, he turned the recorder back on. "My sexuality has never been a secret; however, I do make every effort to keep business and pleasure separate. Sometimes that is more difficult to manage than others." His eyes were smoldering on the beautiful young man. "In answer to your question, Mr. Taylor... yes, I am gay."

 

Justin felt his breath catching in his throat. He almost felt strangled by it. He couldn't look away from the lust shining in the unblinking eyes that almost seemed to be trying to connect with him. That wasn't possible, though. They had just met. "Yeah... I thought so."

 

Knowing they were getting close on time, and not nearly ready to say goodbye to this surprising, and enticing young man, Brian held up a finger to forestall Justin's next question, in order to connect to his secretary. "Ms. Swinton, I need you to cancel my next appointment." His eyes moved slowly over Justin. "We are far from finished here..." Lifting his finger from the intercom button, he folded his hands on his desk, once more giving the young blond his undivided attention. "Please continue, Mr. Taylor."

 

Looking down at his notes, along with Daphne's questions, his eyes focused on them, finding himself desperate to concentrate on anything other than this far too beguiling man. His eyes remaining trained on the questions, Justin blurted out the next statement and question... inwardly cursing Daphne for her choice of wording, knowing that this suggestive man could take his question in multiple ways. "It's clear that running such a worldwide corporation takes a great deal of your time, but do you have any interests outside of these walls?"

 

Brian laughed, certain this naive young man wouldn't be expecting the detail of a truthful answer to that question. "My interests are extremely diverse, Mr. Taylor." His eyes flashed briefly, his tone teasing and almost cajoling, "A man of my wealth has many expensive hobbies... and a dedication to finding perfection in both business and pleasurable pursuits."

 

Justin cleared his throat, somehow sensing he was being tested for his responses, although he had no idea for what reason. For now, he would surmise it to be a simple case of this rich, and controlling man enjoying the game of cat-and-mouse. Right now, he was finding it both arousing and unsettling. A change of direction was definitely in order. He could only hope Daphne's remaining questions would do that. "You have invested heavily in manufacturing, although you amassed your fortune in the telecommunications, and advertising industries. Was there a particular reason for that?"

 

"I enjoy the process of constructing and learning what makes things work. Not only how they do work, but how to make them work even more efficiently." A reflective, serious expression came across his face. "That is something vastly rewarding to me. And something I feel a man of my means can't know enough about."

 

Nodding in understanding, Justin found himself answering in response... unthinkingly divulging information about himself. "In a sense that's how I feel about my art. Creating is the most rewarding thing in the world to me."

 

Arching a brow, Brian looked even closer at the young blond, immediately filing that bit of information into his archives. "An artist... yes. I can see that. Are you still studying?"

 

Shaking his head, Justin told him, "No, I've graduated. Now, it's just a question of utilizing my skills... and making a career of it in the process."

 

"Sometimes a daunting task." Brian smiled at him teasingly, knowing the answer before he asked. "Are you any good?"

 

Not the least bit offended, Justin answered with confidence. "I interned at one of Pittsburgh's most prominent advertising agencies. It just wasn't the right fit for me."

 

"Apparently it wasn't one of my companies. I would have remembered you - if your file had crossed my desk." His mind took a slight detour on the blond's last statement. One thought pounding in his head - he could envision a mutually pleasurable fit for the man. Appreciative that the apprehensive man was supplying personal information that he sensed he didn't share with everyone, he resisted the temptation to bait him further. "Some clients stifle a man's creativity when they try to impose their ideas. Often, they are doomed for failure."

 

Justin bobbed his head enthusiastically. "Exactly. Although it would be a steady income, I fear I would lose my creativity if I sat inside a room and designed boards all day... largely ones that weren't my particular vision."

 

Brian stroked a finger along his lower lip as he watched Justin talk. There was something about the young man. In fact, many things proclaimed the boy as different. It didn't matter that he knew nothing about him, he still couldn't help wanting to know more. "Tell me, Mr. Taylor, where do you see yourself three years from now?"

 

Compressing his lips together, Justin admonished, "I am supposed to be interviewing you, Mr. Kinney. Somehow our roles got reversed..."

 

Snorting decisively, Brian told him, "Role reversal? I can assure you, Mr. Taylor, that is something that would never happen."

 

"You know what I mean..." Justin told him, his eyes lowering at the heat that once again filled the beautiful hazel eyes.

 

"Indeed I do." Brian watched as the young man squirmed in his seat, more and more finding his interest sharpening. "Please continue with your questions. I will endeavor to stay on topic."

 

"Thank you, Sir." Lifting his eyes, he rushed to tell him, "There aren't many more questions. I'm sure I can wrap this up quickly now."

 

Brian was almost sorry to hear that, even though interviews were something he rarely allowed. He was extremely private. He didn't really hide from the world, but he did act with extreme discretion. "Do go on, Mr. Taylor. I'd like to conclude by learning more about you once you have finished your own questions..."

 

Justin flushed, his eyes darting nervously around the room. "Uhhh, there isn't much to know. I'm very uncomplicated." He gestured down at his everyday clothing, thinking his entire wardrobe cost less than the silk tie Mr. Kinney was wearing. "I- I mean... look at me."

 

Standing from behind his desk, Brian moved around to the front, methodically closing the distance that separated him from the man that continued to fascinate him. He had to know more... and once he did, then, he would know how to proceed. His voice raspy, with eyes stormy and intense, Brian told him, "I am looking at you, Mr. Taylor. Very, very closely..."

 

Looking at him didn't even scratch the surface, Justin thought. The billionaire was assessing him as if he were a fine piece of jewelry he was debating on acquiring. He wasn't sure how he should feel about that. But he did know one thing. This meeting hadn't been what he could have expected. The more sensible side of him urged him to run, but as he met the intensity of Brian Kinney's gaze, Justin realized he would see this through. In fact, at least for now, he had no intention of going anywhere.

 

TBC