- Text Size +

 

They had barely crossed the threshold of the palace when the king tersely addressed the entrance guards, "This is Justin. He will be staying in the tower." He gave Justin a short glance, forcing himself to focus on the business at hand, and not on the knowledge that he finally had Justin here... and completely at his mercy.

 

"The tower?" one guard was brave enough to question, the others simply looking at each other with fixed, wide-eyed stares. "My King, those rooms can only be opened with a key from the outside. The young man would be trapped inside."

 

"Exactly!" he barked. His eyes were scathing on the guard that dared to question the king's orders. "I would keep my tongue in my head IF I were you..." Brian spat out in flawless Arabic. He wasn't about to explain to his subjects why he made the decisions that he made. He knew what he was doing, and this decision protected Justin as much as it was a deterrent to him making more foolish choices. Until Craig Taylor was apprehended, interrogated, and most likely - executed, Justin would be inaccessible to anyone other than himself, or one of his most trusted guards. "He may use the baths in the east wing to clean up before dinner. During that time, have the maid prepare the tower room. Justin is to have every possible amenity."

 

Bowing to the waist, before being given his dismissal, the king watched as the guard hurriedly moved to inform the servants, his eyes becoming heated as he watched Justin being led in the direction of the east wing, not flinching from the boy's continued antagonistic stare. It was good for the blond that he had matters of state to attend to. The knowledge that his new toy would soon be naked in a private bath, evoked a deep and elemental hunger within him. Denying himself wouldn't be an easy feat. He cast an exasperated look in Emmett's direction when he finally arrived. "It's about time..." he grumbled. "I need you to look after Justin."

 

"I got here as fast as I could, My dear King..." Emmett replied slightly mockingly. Very few would try to bait the king, he was among that group. Most of the time it was amusing; however, not as much right now. Brian was distracted, and not responding to his behavior. That in itself was extraordinary. "I am assuming you mean once he is taken to the tower... after dinner?"

 

"More or less, yes. I want you to make certain that no one accosts him in the baths. His washer shall be female." Brian's nostrils flared when he spoke, "I do NOT want to hear of another man's hands touching him."

 

Emmett's eyes widened. So, that was how it was and so soon. Justin had accomplished what none of the others had ever done, and Brian hadn't even touched the blond yet. Life was definitely going to get interesting. Unable to stop the words from flowing, Emmett asked, "You are kidding, right?"

 

"In my study - NOW!" the king barked at Emmett, his trusted friend, and essentially the man that ran his household. He glanced briefly in Ben's direction. "Assemble a group of men to proceed to the Taylor home. Sir Taylor is to be apprehended and imprisoned immediately! Failure shall result in dire consequences!"

 

Ben inclined his head, knowing this particular edict had been coming. "Right away, Your Highness. Would you like me to accompany the riding party?"

 

"No, this should be simple. I want you to remain here. Taylor shouldn't be difficult to secure. He should be within a caravan on the return trip; I don't want him finding a way to slip away and die in the desert." Savage lights entered Brian's eyes. "I want to kill him myself!" Silence prevailed as Brian began walking to his study, his back tensing when Emmett's happy humming penetrated his senses. "Stop with the nonsense, Honeycutt. I'm not in the mood!"

 

Emmett's humming immediately stopped, his teeth gnashing as he fought back the urge to shout, ‘Don't call me Honeycutt.' Brian knew he abhorred that, and typically did it when he wanted to get under his skin. He wasn't going to fall for it this time. Brian was in a bad enough mood without allowing himself to be pulled into that dark abyss.

 

Brian slammed the door, not bothering to look at his friend as he moved to his sidebar and poured himself a generous portion of whiskey. "Don't bother sitting. You won't be here for long."

 

"Yes, my lord..." Emmett parried, bowing to the waist, a twinkle in his eye when he straightened up.

 

A variety of curses escaped through the king's lips, a slight smile unwillingly coming to his mouth. "One day you will push me too far, dear friend."

 

"I doubt it." Emmett tilted his head to the side, laughing merrily when he continued, "No one else can handle you, or know when it's safe to push, and when to make a quick retreat."

 

"A valid point for certain." Brian sat behind his desk, scowling at the pile of work on it, knowing it wouldn't be tended to right away. He had prisoners to contend with, and another one to arrive by tomorrow. Those judgments must be his top priority. "Regarding your assignment..."

 

Emmett groaned, knowing he wasn't going to like it. "Watching your blond in the baths, or was there more?"

 

"Forget the baths. I'm sure Justin will be adequately supervised, and his tongue is as cutting as my sharpest blade. They wouldn't be after him for long..." the king grumbled, taking another long swallow of his drink, knowing the entire bottle wouldn't be enough to numb the aggravation of this day. "I want you to watch out for him. I am going to be too busy in the next few days dealing with the men that committed this act of treason."

 

"I'm a bit confused, Brian. Watch out for him how? He is staying in the tower rooms. Nothing can happen to him there." Emmett frowned as he thought about that even more. "It's nothing short of a luxurious prison. What do you possibly think will happen?"

 

The king stared broodingly into the amber liquid in his crystal tumbler. "Probably nothing, but I'm not taking that chance. Until Taylor is apprehended, I am being overly cautious."

 

"Sir Taylor? Does he have anything to do with Justin's disappearance?" Emmett shook his head, thinking that couldn't be it. "Taylor was in the process of handing his son over to you. I don't understand..."

 

"There is reason to believe that Sir Taylor hired these traitors to take Justin from the country - all to keep him from me. I won't know the specifics until I have interrogated him... but I am confident in what the outcome will be." Brian finished his drink, slamming the glass down on his desk, uncaring at the moment if it remained intact or if it completely shattered. "If you can find a way to do so, I'd like for you to befriend Justin. Occupy his mind and time while I am engaged in business matters. If he has a hobby that can be enjoyed within the safety of his rooms, then make certain he has whatever he needs."

 

"So, I am to babysit your new slave?" Emmett curled his lip in disgust. He didn't care how cute the young blond was, being Brian's spy and babysitter to a grown man just wasn't his idea of a day well spent.

 

"Something like that..." Brian answered. "It's not only to keep an eye on his movements. It's for his protection as well. Think you can handle it?"

 

"Well, of course, I can." Emmett knew he was provoking the king unwisely, his last outburst showing signs of him crossing the line, but at times, he loved living perilously. "He's such a sweet young thing. Why wouldn't I want to be his attentive shadow?"

 

Brian growled, his nostrils flaring. He breathed in deeply, knowing Emmett was baiting him once again. This had to stop, especially now when his temper needed so little to elicit a spark. "Enough. This is the last warning I give you. Today, this boy's treasonous act has caused me to slay men, with more deaths on the horizon. I am NOT in a patient mood."

 

Eyes wide, Emmett decided he had never seen the king appear quite so savage. It was frightening, but in another way, it was mesmerizing. Despite how angry and resistant Justin currently might be, he knew he didn't stand a chance against Brian once he truly began to hunt him. Once that happened, he wasn't sure if he wanted to be the voyeur and stick around and watch... or if he wanted to be hidden, far removed from all of the action. "Very well. I will check on Justin. He should be in the baths now. Is he dining at your table tonight, or in the tower rooms?"

 

"He will take his meals at my table, then, he will return to the tower. His mother should be at dinner tonight. I will allow him to sit next to her so that he may be reassured that all is well with her. Their visit is over after dinner. I want Justin secure in the tower until Taylor is in custody. I will have more guards placed around the cottage to watch over Lady Jennifer as well. Although, I trust Tucker to make certain she is protected." Brian paused before he advised, "I will make an appearance at dinner; however, I probably won't stay for the duration. I have too many matters that require my immediate attention. I am trusting you to make sure my orders are carried out."

 

"Of course." Emmett inclined his head, knowing when to bait his friend, and when to be respectful of his king's direct commands. "I will do my best to keep Justin entertained."

 

The king gave a tense, brief smile. "Thank you, my friend. Knowing that Justin is occupied, and not falling into more mischief will enable me to concentrate on taking care of more unpleasant business." Brian's eyes touched on his desk, his gaze settling on the calendar. He lifted his eyes to Emmett, knowing how unsettling his realization would bring throughout the palace. "My wife is due home in two days."

 

Emmett shuddered. He got along with Lindsay, at least, for the most part, but she could be very condescending and even cruel to the staff. And she had no tolerance for Brian's slaves. "It will be interesting to see how Lady Jennifer, a true lady in every sense of the word, responds to the dear queen. Not to mention... Justin."

 

Brian rolled his eyes. Queen indeed. More like a self-entitled bitch that consistently abused her power, and squandered his fortune all because she had given birth to the king's heir. His patience with her was also nearing an end. "I will make certain that Lindsay understands that our guests are to be treated with respect. I won't tolerate anything else."

 

Emmett nodded, not the least bit surprised by Brian's answer. He walked to the door, his hand poised to open it when he turned to meet the monarch's steely gaze. "You do know that I am aware of your secret?" When the king appeared confused, Emmett continued, "the one regarding your marriage..."

 

The king's eyes narrowed. "I told you that in a moment of intense rage... all caused by my wife's scandalous behavior. It was agreed that we'd never speak of it."

 

"Oh, I don't mean to alarm you with the reminder, My King." Emmett smiled, lowering his voice so no guard on the other side of the door could hear him, although that in itself was doubtful with the thickness of the palace doors. "It must be comforting knowing that you dissolved the marriage shortly after Gus' birth. If she gets out of line, she is easily dispatched."

 

Brian's smile was predatory. It was a thought that often came to mind. "Yes, it is. Even if it is nice having the convenience of a wife, and living my life the way I choose, it is a relief having that out clause - if I ever wished to use it."

 

"I have no doubt." Opening the door, Emmett turned back to bow in respect to his king, in the presence of others, always adhering to all the customs that were due to the monarch. "I'll see you at dinner, Your Highness."

 

Inclining his head, Brian frowned as Emmett closed the door behind him. His own words echoed in his mind, ones that he really never thought about seriously, but for some reason wondered if the day would come that he would. It is a relief having that out clause - if I ever wished to use it. In the back of his mind, he had often wondered if he would ever find the reason to publicly announce his marriage to the queen was in actuality dissolved. Considering how Lindsay's behavior and discretion seemed to deteriorate each time she traveled the continents, he wouldn't be surprised if one day he became compelled to take such a scandalous step. For now though, her existence as queen was beneficial, but he always kept in mind that things could always change.

 

TBC