- Text Size +

 

 

The king's eyes were glacial as they met Benjamin's anxious, and extremely intense gaze. There wasn't a doubt of his words being true, no matter how improbable. Rage began to consume him, the king demanded, "Can you explain to me how a man such as Craig Taylor could manage to escape my trained warriors? I will interrogate every last one of them. There will be consequences!"

 

Ben inwardly groaned. Although he hated being the one seated across from the king with this type of news, he was also glad. More often than not, his calm voice of reason was the only one the king would hear. More than any other time in the past, he hoped he could be successful. "My King, there are extenuating circumstances for your consideration. Please hear me out..."

 

"What's to hear?" the ruler snapped. "They allowed a man not skilled in combat to slip through their fingers. There can be no justifiable excuses for that!"

 

"I understand that; however, they never had a chance to confront him. Taylor appeared to have been gone before their arrival." Ben paused for a brief moment, merely giving the king time to process the information, before he continued, "Your men weren't certain whether to go on a search or return with the news. Everything indicates Taylor being gone from the time you found Justin - if not longer. There was no visible trail to follow."

 

The king slammed his fist onto the desk. "Fuck! I should have gutted him the day of our arrival!"

 

Ben swallowed. He had never seen King Bruhier so enraged. Whereas he was relieved that his anger was now where it should be - on the deplorable Sir Taylor - he feared that they would all be on the receiving end of the king's bad temper until this was all favorably resolved. "He is truly repulsive, Sire. Do you want the men to go back out?"

 

"Allow them to enjoy a good dinner tonight, and spend the night with their families. A group of them will head back out in the morning, searching from town to town. Provide them with photographs of Taylor to use in their search, and a reward should be offered." The king shook his head in disbelief, accepting how this would change everything, and knowing those changes would need to be implemented immediately. "If at all possible, I want him alive!"

 

"Of course, Your Highness." Ben nearly flinched at the cold, unforgiving stare in the king's eyes. Sir Taylor would only evade the king for so long. He would hate to be him when that time ended. "I expect you want the rest of the men on heightened alert regarding security on the palace grounds?"

 

The king nodded, doubtful that Taylor would be foolish enough to come anywhere near the palace grounds, but certain that he would be tempted to get his hands on both Justin and Lady Jennifer. That would NOT happen. "It's unlikely he would be bold enough to attack anyone under my protection, but I won't take the chance. I want extra security around the cottage - day and night, and on the tower as well. In addition, at the gates and increased patrols of the grounds."

 

"Realistically, I think Sir Taylor would seek to escape the country, but it's in keeping with his character that he would want to victimize his wife and son in the process. I think your security precautions are highly advised." Ben frowned as he thought about how much this would change life for everyone at the palace. The king would be a tyrant on security now, and he couldn't blame him at all. "Also, your wife returns tomorrow. That will be another concern."

 

The king scowled. He hoped that Lindsay's return would be brief, and when she became aware of the heightened security measures being taken, perhaps she would go off on her next jaunt. Nothing would please him more. "Make certain security is in force when she is picked up from the airport. I wouldn't want to appear negligent in protecting the queen..."

 

Ben couldn't keep himself from laughing, the caustic tone in the king's voice, far more amusing than his actual words. There wasn't a doubt that Lindsay caused turmoil whenever she was home, and he expected her to be even more irritating once she became aware of Justin and Lady Jennifer - two new additions to the palace that had legitimate claims to royal bloodlines. The king's strong interest in them would set the queen on edge, causing her to fear her own standing with the king. Ben sighed, knowing there could be some very rough days ahead, from all directions. "As you wish." Ben bowed his head, standing to his feet, certain the king wanted everything implemented before dinner. "I will just inform the guards."

 

"Thank you, Ben. I'll see you at dinner." Brian gave a brief nod, indicating Ben was permitted to leave before he lowered his head to resume the task of all the signatures that required his attention. Craig Taylor was a walking dead man, he thought to himself. Once he captured him, it would be ended by his own hand...

 


 

Emmett grimaced at Justin's accusing look, the blond intuitive enough to know that he wasn't being led to the dining room, but the king's study instead. "I'm sorry, Justin. I wanted to tell you... but the king was afraid you would rage and alarm the entire house... and enough is going on now without adding that."

 

"Hmph. I thought we were becoming friends, but I can see that you will always be his tool..." Justin spat out. Although, to be honest, it was clear to see that there was much more activity in the house tonight. The guards were moving around, eyes observant on everything... and everyone. Something was certainly amiss.

 

"I AM your friend, Justin." Emmett shook his head, at a loss of how to get through to the younger man. He had thought they had been making progress. But anytime the king visited with Justin or was even near, Justin became irrational. There was such a sexual tension between the king and Justin, and it was two-sided, whether Justin wanted to admit it or not. They needed to deal with that. In his opinion, life would be chaotic until that happened. "I am acting in what I believe is your best interest as well. The king has some urgent news for you that he wanted you to know before dinner. I doubt he will keep you for long."

 

Justin grunted. The king always had important news. "Whatever. Let's just get this over with..."

 

"I will leave you here. If the king wishes for me to escort you to the dining hall, he will summon me." Emmett nodded curtly to the king's guard, irritated that he was in this position. Why him? He had started building something positive with Justin. Now, it could all be for nothing. At the moment, he didn't care that it would prevent him from smoothing things between Justin and the king; it was more about Justin. He genuinely liked the boy and thought he really needed a friend. Before departing, Emmett squeezed Justin lightly on the shoulder. "Please just hear him out, Justin. Above everything else, we all just want you to be safe. Let him do that for you."

 

Frowning at the seriousness of Emmett's words, realizing that whatever news the king wanted to deliver, it must be significant, Justin answered with a silent nod, his hand lifting to knock on the king's study. Justin nearly jumped back when the door opened. He had been expecting the king's standard order to enter. Looking up, he saw anxiety, yet welcome in the monarch's eyes. Justin swallowed anxiously. He couldn't escape the memory of their last encounter. He remained determined to hate this man that had reordered his entire life... but for some reason, he just couldn't. "You wanted to see me?"

 

Nodding, the king urged him inside the privacy of his office. "Come in, Justin, and have a seat."

 

Once Justin moved past him into the office, the king's tone was harsh and unrelenting when he spoke to his guard in Arabic. "I am NOT to be disturbed." Closing the door, Brian locked it from the inside, uncertain if that was the best of ideas... However, knowing how this particular man inspired his most savage behavior, it was better to be prepared. At the moment, he was filled with a murderous rage, all directed toward Justin's father. His rage could be transformed into lust for the blond with very little provocation.

 

Moving behind his desk, knowing that was the best place to position himself, Brian allowed his eyes to admire his beautiful blond as he took a seat in the chair across from him. For a long and silent moment, he simply looked at him. He had never wanted a man so much. Was it because Justin rejected him? Although, he sensed that it became more difficult each time. He had felt Justin's desire for him. The time had already passed that he could be convinced of it being one-sided. Even though he knew Justin still wasn't ready to acknowledge it, or even act on it, Brian knew that it was existent. That was enough for now; at least, that's how he consoled himself. He knew at any given moment, the boy could provoke him to the point where he pushed harder. That seemed to be a constant in each of their encounters.

 

"There's been an unexpected, and extremely unpleasant development in your father's apprehension..." the king stated, his eyes cold, at this moment, he was driven by his determination to stay focused on business, and not the enticements of his newest possession. "When my men arrived at his home, he was gone."

 

"Gone?" Justin asked, his tone sharp in his alarm. He couldn't contain his surprise. Something like this shouldn't ever happen. "How is that even possible? Where would he go?"

 

"That's a very good question and one that I intend to answer. He is a wanted fugitive now, guilty of treason against his king. There will be no vindication for him!" the king snarled, his rage growing the more he thought about Craig Taylor being loose to spew his venom all over his kingdom, in addition to the vile acts he had already perpetrated.

 

Justin swallowed. He remembered this side of King Bruhier. He had been on the verge of being raped by the vile Gary Sapperstein, when the sounds of the king and his men were killing Sapperstein's men. He had assumed that most of the bloodshed had come from the king's blade. "Is there any indication of how long he's been missing?"

 

"It appears that he's been missing since I went in search of you, or shortly thereafter. I wondered about why he would flee, but then I remembered that the men that held you revealed your father's involvement. He would know that once you were found, I would be given that information. From his point of view, I'm sure his only choice would be to run." The king's lips twisted as he spoke the words. Taylor was a brute to his family, but in all other ways, he was the lowest form of men - on all counts, a coward. Uncertain if it was wise, he stood up from behind his desk, walking around to stand in front of it, wanting Justin to see the sincerity more clearly in him. "I want you to know that I have added to your security, and your mother's. In the unlikely event that he tried and succeeded to gain access to the palace grounds, I will be ready for him."

 

Justin stood to his feet, feeling foolish that such a thought hadn't even occurred to him. "I hadn't thought about that. I can't believe he would be that stupid. That would be instant death for him!"

 

"Yes, it would..." the king snarled. "In all likelihood, he is making his way to the border, trying to find an escape route. If he has had enough of an advantage and already passed through, there isn't much I can do, but if he is still on my lands, one way or another, I WILL find him."

 

"I believe you," Justin answered. As much as he didn't want to encourage the possessive and passionate king, he felt compelled to give him his due. "I may resent you for how you have taken my life over, but I want you to know that I trust you with my safety, and my mother's. I haven't said as much, but I am very grateful you brought her here. She has been victimized so much by him."

 

Brian surveyed Justin thoughtfully. "I believe you have as well."

 

A short nod was Justin's answer. He smiled slightly, before saying, "I'll try not to rebel too much against your security measures. Of course, that doesn't mean I won't rebel against you..."

 

Laughter erupted from the king, he leaned back to sit on the edge of his desk. This boy delighted and intrigued him in every possible way. "I wouldn't expect anything else." Looking at the time, and knowing dinner would be delayed, pending his arrival, the king instructed, "We will talk more after dinner, for now, let's join the others. You can sit with your mother again."

 

Uncertain where the impulse came from, Justin moved forward, leaning upwards to kiss the king lightly on the cheek. When he pulled back, he laughed at the monarch's look of surprise. "Thank you again for protecting us. My mother means everything to me. She is truly all I have left..."

 

Not quite all, the ruler thought to himself. It was still early days. He knew he wanted Justin, although he wasn't sure how the younger man would fit into his life over time. The king grasped Justin's hand, silently walking with him to the door. Once they reached it, he squeezed Justin's hand lightly before saying, "He will never touch you again, Justin. As I swear that Sapperstein faces his death in the morning, your father will soon be following him..."

 

TBC