- Text Size +

 

Jennifer took a deep breath as she raised her hand to knock on the door of the king's study. These kinds of visits made her nervous, but she supposed that realistically such visits could be commonplace since she now resided on the palace grounds. She waited until she was given the word to enter, then at once, stepping inside and closing the door behind her. Respectfully, she curtsied, only rising when the king waved his hand in an upward motion.

 

"Have a seat, Jennifer... and please refrain from such protocol when we are alone. I don't adhere to such a practice, nor do I care for the gesture." He smiled tightly at her. "All around, it just makes me uncomfortable."

 

"As you wish, Your Highness. I don't want to do anything that makes you ill at ease." She returned his smile, finding once she did, he became much less tense. "I have always been such a stickler for protocol. Perhaps in time, I will relax in that."

 

"I guarantee if you remain here indefinitely, I will insist on it." Brian laughed at her wide-eyed response. "Seriously though, I'd like to discuss the burial of your husband." He watched her carefully, a slight bit surprised when he glimpsed only a brief look of annoyance following the reminder of her newly deceased husband. "I will be blunt and state that I don't feel that Craig Taylor deserves any sort of a proper burial; however, out of my respect for you, I will give him one if it is your desire. Needless to say, if any sort of services is to be held, they would need to be on these grounds. With Sapperstein on the loose, I cannot have Justin on the outside."

 

"I understand." She bit her bottom lip, looking fearfully at the king. "I assume there were no clues leading to the whereabouts of that vile man?"

 

The king shook his head. "I'm afraid not. It's really not unexpected. He is conniving, but not a complete fool. Sapperstein will lay low for a while. I hesitate in telling you this, realizing the delicate nature, and not intending to upset you, but your husband's killer had a very precise aim, one that makes me feel instant death was the intention. Either he knew something that Sapperstein didn't want me to find out, or he was hoping to lure his prey out of the safety of my palace."

 

Jennifer deliberated on that for a long moment. "Of course. If Craig was killed, it would be a natural course of action for services to be held and Justin to be outside of the palace walls. It's actually very clever, although the evilest thing I've ever heard. After all that I've heard about this Sapperstein, that analogy seems extremely likely."

 

"That thought didn't immediately occur to me, but as I investigated the prison and the surveillance tapes, it is the most likely answer. I haven't ruled out the possibility that Sapperstein could have an ally inside the palace. I will be watching everyone closely, but the odds are strong that such a person is a mere informant and nothing more." The king's stare was intense, and extremely cold when he finished, "No matter how heavy the involvement, that person will be brought to justice. I will show NO mercy."

 

Jennifer swallowed. The king was indeed fearsome, and yet, a mesmerizing man. She immediately concluded that any man or woman would be a fool to incur his wrath. "I do realize you have your own self-serving reasons for doing so, but I am extremely grateful for your protection of my son. Regarding Craig, I have no interest in a service that is designed to honor his life. You may dispose of him as you will."

 

The king nodded his head, his brows furrowing together as he thought about Jennifer's statement, not the least bit concerned about her thoughts about his reasoning in regard to Justin. The boy belonged to him, and they both knew that. Discussing that was a waste of his time. "A thought occurs to me, Jennifer, one that could be our best opportunity to capture Sapperstein swiftly."

 

"What is it, Your Highness? A quick capture would mean Justin's safety is more assured. I can't tell you how much I'd like to see that..."

 

"I feel the same." He didn't mention, a safe Justin would allow him to indulge in more pleasurable matters. That was something he eagerly anticipated. "I am going to have a formal burial planned... and outside of the palace walls. I will make sure that news of it travels around the palace." At Jennifer's look of panic, the king further explained, "My decision regarding Justin leaving the safety of these walls has not changed. It will be implied that Justin will be in attendance, but he will not be. A trap will be set for Sapperstein or anyone that seeks to take Justin to him."

 

Jennifer smiled. "That's extremely clever, and it could work. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help."

 

"Only one thing, and I know it will be difficult. When you're around others, try to pretend some sadness regarding your husband's death. It would appear more plausible that you would leave the palace for his services... of course, neither you or Justin will be leaving."

 

"I can do that, especially if it helps you capture that horrible man..." Jennifer shuddered as she thought of Gary Sapperstein, the thoughts of his intentions toward Justin running rampant through her mind. "Do you really think he'd be so foolish as to approach Justin at his father's funeral services? He has to know what his fate would be!"

 

The king's gaze became hooded for a long moment, his shoulders giving a slight shrug. "Men have been known to make some very reckless choices when driven mad by lust." Arching a brow at the flush that immediately colored Jennifer's cheeks, Brian decided to soften his manner; although realizing that Justin's mother needed to become accustomed to his free speech - something that he knew might not be easy for this lady to do. "I doubt that Sapperstein would intend to be visible at the actual services, but he could try to use the opportunity to lure Justin into a dangerous situation. I am a realist, Lady Jennifer. If Sapperstein gained support within my prison, and with the men that served him before his capture, it stands to reason that he could still have other supporters."

 

Feeling foolish that the same thought hadn't occurred to her, Jennifer opened her mouth to speak, instead, a gasp escaping at the raised voices she heard outside of the king's study. "What on earth..." she turned to look at the door, expecting them to be barged in at any moment, unable to identify the two voices, only knowing they grew louder with each passing moment. "Perhaps I should leave."

 

Standing to his feet, the king rolled his eyes. "Yes, that would probably be best, Lady Jennifer. The noise you hear is the queen making a grand entrance, and my guard doing his best to keep her from interrupting." Moving quickly past her, determined to silence Lindsay before she had every nearby guard rushing to his aid, he opened the door, glaring at his so-called wife, raising his hand to silence her.

 

Lindsay brushed past him and into his office, hissing at him beneath her breath, "I will not be silenced like a common servant!" She ran her eyes over the woman that looked almost regal, her back stiffly arched, and head angled high. "Who are you?" she spat out. "I didn't know the king was in a meeting..."

 

"Did you even bother to inquire?" Brian snapped, his eyes not warming until he touched on Jennifer's sudden pallor. "I'll speak with you later, Lady Jennifer. In the meantime, if Justin is still at the cottage, please tell him that I wish to speak with him."

 

After a quick nod, Jennifer hurriedly answered, "I will do that, Your Highness." She moved to the door, knowing she had the king's permission to leave, wanting to be out of the room before she forgot herself and told the newly arriving queen just how rude she thought her to be. Queen indeed! First impressions could be faulty, but she couldn't fathom why the king had chosen her to produce his heir.

 

Once the door was closed, Lindsay whirled around, her mouth agape as she stared at it, before turning to watch Brian returning to his seat behind the desk. "Brian, I demand that you punish that rude woman."

 

"Punish her for what?" he snapped. "She immediately vacated when she was the one invited to my study for a meeting. You are the one out of line..."

 

"Out of line?" her eyes widened in disbelief. "I am the queen... your wife! First, she didn't answer my question... and then, she ignores me when she leaves. Is this the homecoming your wife should receive!?"

 

Brian sat behind his desk, staring at her blandly, determined not to allow her to rile him, most especially before Justin arrived. He had much to say to his slave and he didn't want to start the meeting aggravated by one of Lindsay's endless tirades. "Welcome home, Lindsay. As it is..." Brian said in a monotone voice, "I have someone else arriving soon. Unless you have something urgent that needs addressing, this will have to wait until later."

 

Lindsay gasped, staring at Brian as if he'd completely lost his mind. "Brian! What the hell is going on here? I arrived home not even an hour ago, and you are tossing me out to meet your new slave?" When Brian's eyes narrowed at her, she reminded him, "The servants do talk, Brian. My maid couldn't wait to tell me about the addition of Jennifer and Justin Taylor; I am assuming that was the high and mighty Jennifer that just left your study? Your behavior is inappropriate, Brian! They are in private quarters and not with the rest of the servants. What are you thinking??"

 

Smashing his lips together, Brian moved his eyes up the side of the far wall, keeping them everywhere but on the vicious viper that was quickly threatening his control. "Lindsay, what I do is my own fucking business. You have never challenged that, or even questioned it. I would suggest you NOT start with the Taylor's. Now, I will speak with you at length later... for now, I have things to do!" He turned his gaze to her, affixing a cold look on her, contempt in his eyes. "Why don't you do something that isn't self-serving and spend some time with our son!?"

 

Lindsay flinched, uncertain of how things could have changed so quickly, but knowing when not to push her husband. "Fine, I'll go. I wouldn't want to upset your little arrangements... but I expect to speak with you later!"

 

Rolling his eyes, Brian spat out, "I have no doubt!" He shook his head as she made her exit, this time not quite as boisterous as her arrival. Running a hand through his hair, he couldn't help thinking to himself that he'd wished she'd stayed away longer. She would be nothing but a distraction, and with Sapperstein on the loose and plotting what he was sure would be depraved acts against what belonged to him, he needed to be attentive and ready for anything. No matter how much chaos Lindsay brought, he had to keep his focus. If she interfered, Brian knew it would only take a reminder to his dear wife of how easy it would be to reveal her true status...

 


 

Justin took his time approaching the king's study, pretending to be oblivious to Emmett sighing dramatically at his side. He looked over at Emmett's tense demeanor, a look of irritation on his face. "What?" Justin asked. "I don't recall hearing an expected time to arrive before his excellency..."

 

"Must you always look for ways to antagonize the king? Admittedly, I often do the same... but I am in a completely different position, and I know where to draw the line..."

 

Justin snorted. "I'm not interested in drawing any lines - imaginary or not. I don't belong here, and the sooner he realizes that the better for all of us!"

 

Now at the king's door, Emmett shook his head, a hint of censure in his tone when he said, "Justin, you are far safer within the walls of this palace than you ever could be on the outside of it. Especially with a madman on the loose!"

 

Shrugging his shoulders, Justin indifferently replied, "I can't imagine that being a very long-lasting circumstance. Sapperstein doesn't strike me as smart enough to elude the king's soldiers for long."

 

Tapping briskly on the door, Emmett awaited a response, uncertain if the king's dear wife was still with him. "Smart enough to have planned for his escape before he was even captured. It's doubtful he planned that from the inside."

 

"Probably not, but at that point, he still had my father helping him..."

 

Despite his irritation with Justin's attitude, he remembered the young man had just lost his father, quickly biting back his retort of, "not any longer.' Groaning when he heard the roar inside the king's study admitting entrance, deciphering from his tone alone that the ruler's visit with his wife hadn't gone well, Emmett knew that Brian's patience would be very short-lived. In a low whisper, Emmett advised, "Mind your tongue, Justin. The king is irritated. Rebellion won't go well for you."

 

"Does it ever?" Justin snarked, his hand reaching for the all too familiar door handle, turning it to cross into his majesty's inner sanctum. Stepping inside, Justin ignored the flushed and clearly aggravated monarch when he foolishly addressed, "You summoned me, your liege?"

 

A savage snarl curled the king's lip. "Now is NOT the time for any of that, Justin. I caution you to mind your manners; I doubt that I'll give any additional warnings. Close the door!"

 

Justin did so, at this point, finding that a minor point to argue over, not the least bit timid as he approached the king seated behind his desk, and abruptly flopped down into the chair directly across from it. "Apparently someone is having a bad day..."

 

"Please do have a seat, Justin." The king's tone was dripping with sarcasm, tension continuing to build in him. Brian momentarily closed his eyes, doing all that he could to keep his temper in check, knowing that his anger was truly toward his previous visitor and not so much toward what had become commonplace behavior from his reluctant new slave. "I am having a very difficult morning, not to mention the unpleasantries of the previous night. Now isn't the best time for your more spirited disposition."

 

"Uh-huh. So, the king is having a bad day, and that means we are all supposed to be meek and compliant with your wishes? I'm sorry, your highness. That just isn't my way." Knowing he could be sorry in the aftermath but urged on by the little voices inside of his head, Justin continued to rebel. "Perhaps you'd be wise to simply send me back to my tower, then, we can all go on about our day..."

 

Surprising even himself, Brian began to laugh. "You are such a delight, Justin... even when you're trying to provoke me." The king's eyes became more intense, in one long glance deeply penetrating the young blond. "Perhaps I just need to kiss you into compliance again. That was working so well before duty called."

 

"No!" Justin countered. He remembered how he had felt in the king's strong, unrelenting arms. He had felt helpless, hot, and irresistibly drawn to the monarch. He could only imagine what would have happened if the king hadn't needed to leave for the prison. "Uhhh, why am I here?" Justin asked, deciding a quick detour from that particular subject was definitely to his advantage.

 

Brian considered that very question, his eyes thoughtful on the beautiful blond. "Hmm, let me see. One day I went on a journey to judge my prospective new property. I saw something I liked and I took it. That being so, here we are..."

 

Justin rolled his eyes. "Cute."

 

"Cute? Probably not... but you can call me a handsome, unmerciful, unscrupulous devil when it comes to taking what I want." Brian rose to his feet, moving around his desk and closer to his enticing prey. His voice suddenly becoming hoarse with desire, Brian told the suddenly wide-eyed blond, "I think it's time that this particular claim be commenced..."

 

Jumping to his feet, his eyes looking wildly around the room, half expecting one of the doors to open up into some elaborate bedchamber, Justin stammered, "N-no. I-I don't want that. And you promised you wouldn't force the issue..."

 

Brian moved closer, his eyes smoldering and possessive on the beautiful blond, uncertain of how much longer he could resist taking what belonged to him. Advancing forward until they were nearly toe-to-toe, Brian reached out and brushed his hand along Justin's cheek, as always luxuriating in the softness of his flawless skin. "I would never force you, Justin. That is NOT who I am. However, I may feel compelled to seduce you. Deny it all you want; I know that I will succeed."

 

"Don't be so sure..." Justin spat out, determined to display confidence in his ability to resist the hot-blooded king, even though he was extremely doubtful of his success. "I want to return to my rooms. I see nothing for us to discuss further. Unless it is to negotiate the destruction of my contract and my immediate release!"

 

The king moved away from the enticing blue-eyed blond, laughter beginning to erupt in him, his shoulders shaking in the process. "Justin, you amuse me. Release you? Negotiate? I have become very lax with you, but I assure you, that will change as of tonight."

 

Justin gasped in response. "T-tonight? What happens tonight?"

 

Affixing an intense gaze on the suddenly nervous young man, Brian moved further away, not trusting himself to be within touching distance. His rage was still strong regarding Sapperstein's escape, and what he intuitively sensed was the madman's master plan for revenge. Justin was a target, and more security needed to be attained. If Sapperstein could compromise the prison, there was no way of being certain he didn't have someone within the palace as well. His personal guards were the only ones that had his complete trust. In selecting them, a more thorough security protocol was utilized. That being so, there was only one viable option.

 

"You will be returning to the tower to gather anything you wish to have with you for the next several days. After dinner tonight, you will be temporarily moved to my chambers." The king's eyes flared as lust consumed him. Justin would be at his mercy. It was the moment he had been waiting for since the instant he had first laid eyes on him. Finally, he would claim him. "Not only will your security be more enhanced, but I will also be taking what is mine."

 

"You're out of your mind!" Justin spat out. "You just said you wouldn't force the issue. There is no way I will fall into your bed like a mindless fool. You are wasting your time!"

 

Brian arched a brow, staring possessively at his beautiful slave. "Am I really, my own? Shall I come closer and kiss you into submission again? We both know that you want me, and tonight, you will be unable to deny it."

 

Justin felt his heart racing in his chest. He wasn't sure how to effectively refute a single word. It was true. He did want the king... but he didn't want to submit to his will. Biting his lip, uncaring of how the ruler hungrily watched him, Justin huskily replied, "Perhaps I do want you. Who wouldn't? You are beautiful, powerful, and completely mesmerizing. At the same time though, I hate what submitting to you means. I am not a man that can ever be happy as a possession. Not even to a king."

 

The king's eyes savaged Justin in one smoldering glance. "You will adapt. Now, go and do as I have commanded. I will see you at dinner. After that, your entire reality changes..."

 

TBC