- Text Size +

 

Justin began throwing his clothing into the bags provided, cursing the arrogance of the exalted king in the process. He was aware of Emmett's presence in the tower room, as he silently watched and waited, uncaring of how his harsh words were received. "Arrogant dictator! Who the fuck does he think he is? I shouldn't be ordered around like this. I'm innocent in any of this. Why the fuck did it have to be me?"

 

Emmett began to cackle. "Now that's the silliest thing you've said yet, sweetie. Why you? That can be answered by looking in the mirror." Placing his hands on his cheeks, Emmett shook his head from side to side as he visually examined the king's prize possession. "I'm just amazed it's taken the king this long. He's not known for his patience."

 

"I don't know what any of you think is going to happen... but it isn't THAT. I won't submit to him, and since I do believe he's not a rapist, that only leads to one outcome." When he met Emmett's skeptical gaze, he clarified, "Quite simply... he isn't going to have me. He can summon one of his other slaves for that!"

 

Emmett burst out laughing, aware that mockery was the last thing the outraged blond needed right now, but unable to hold it in. Poor innocent lamb. He had no idea of what he would be facing in the king's bedchamber. Justin was right on one count, though. Brian wasn't a rapist, but he was skilled in various arts of persuasion. He predicted that Justin would quickly be underneath the lusty king, mindless to anything that didn't center around the passionate ruler and all that he was making him feel. And after Justin had that first taste of that level of bliss, he wouldn't be able to resist Brian's many desires. What doomed the young blond, even more, was that Brian was aware of that too.

 

Justin glared at Emmett, unable to fathom how traitorous he was. "I knew you could never be my friend. It's all about ‘his majesty.' I don't care if you don't believe me. Everyone will know when he tosses me out of his rooms and back to my private chambers."

 

"Impossible..." Emmett told him. "It won't matter if you elude the king's most seductive tactics, he still won't release you from his quarters; at least, not until Sapperstein is brought to justice. And I am your friend... at least, I want to be - if you'll let me."

 

"Sapperstein..." Justin sneered. "I almost wish the king had split him in two as he did all his other men. That man and his depraved lust are the cause of so many things that have gone wrong for me. And sorry, Emmett. I know you probably mean well, but you are too close to the king; I doubt I could ever really trust you."

 

Emmett gasped, his hand lifting to his chest. "So bloodthirsty!" He grinned at the guilty flush that colored Justin's cheeks. "I like it." A moment later he immediately sobered, Justin's last statement belatedly coming to him. "I'm sorry to hear that; I hope in time you'll change your mind."

 

"I hope so too, but I'm not sure I see it happening." Justin tossed his bag on the bed, deciding he had packed more than enough for a few days; although he had his doubts his stay would be limited to a mere few days. No matter how few, he knew the time would feel interminable as he struggled against his attraction to the gorgeous ruler.

 

Moving closer to the confused young man, Emmett looked at him closely, deciding he wasn't nearly as rebellious as his outspokenness portrayed him to be. Underneath the tough exterior, all he saw was a lost little boy, desperate to find his way. Without any warning his world had been upended from beneath him; in actuality, part of that had been a good thing. As he thought of Craig Taylor and the abuse he was certain Justin had suffered at his father's hand, he decided this new life had been a blessing, whether Justin accepted that or not. "Justin, let's talk for a bit. I might be skilled at running a grand estate, but at times, I have been known to offer sage advice as well."

 

Justin snorted, eyeing the king's servant and friend warily, not immediately arguing, but instead, taking a seat in the chair next to his bed, his gaze alternating between his ‘watchdog' and the patrolling guards in the courtyard. "I doubt your advice is any that I'd want to hear. I think we both know that you are basically an advocate for the king. That position doesn't serve me well."

 

Choosing a chair next to the window, Emmett sat down, his eyes momentarily focusing on Lindsay walking with Gus in the courtyard. He was astounded really. She spent very little time with her son, leaving all of his needs up to the servants, and to the king himself. It was a bit disheartening to know that despite the king's enormous duties, he still spent more time with their son than Gus' mother ever did. In his opinion, the queen's return wasn't advantageous for anyone. Turning back to face the young man, Emmett disagreed. "On the contrary, Justin. You may view it as me promoting the king's wishes, but much of what I tell you is in your best interest. I only want to make things easier for you... a smoother transition. It is what you make of it."

 

"What it is is fucked up, and we both know it. It's not right to be uprooted from all you've ever known to have every choice stripped from you. My father may have been a bigoted psychopath, but I never knew until that day the king arrived to take me that I had been so callously given away." Justin looked intensely into Emmett's eyes, thankful that he at least saw a glimmer of sympathy in them. "It's not that the king is an ogre. We both know he's hot as blazes, but to give myself to him under these bizarre circumstances goes against everything I believe is right."

 

"Justin, I won't say I understand because the length of time I have lived here I have a different outlook on proper behaviors. This is the way of the land. Our king isn't even the one who established most of our laws, but for the most part, he has adhered to all of them. The king is often accused of being a primitive, and yes, I suppose he is, but also keep in mind, Justin, this is a savage land that has old customs, ones that some unknowledgeable people might view as archaic. The king is actually very laid back in comparison to his predecessors. In time I think you'll see a deeper side to him. For example, a man that will do anything for his country... his people. And to be perfectly honest, in the same position as another monarch, things would be more difficult for you." Emmett smiled at the much younger man, his eyes filled with kindness, yet with great concern. More than anything he wanted to get through to him. There were unknowns in their world presently, and if Justin was more agreeable to the king's wishes, his safety would be easier to achieve. More than anything, he wanted to make sure that Justin remained unharmed.

 

"I will give your words some thought... but I can't promise anything. Whenever I'm near the king, I seem to be compelled to provoke him. At times, it's as if I act outside of myself... if that makes any sense." With a deep sigh, Justin shook his head, while turning to look out the window, his eyes narrowing at the woman that was dressed too casually to be a servant. He couldn't help wondering who she could be. He arched a brow as she looked away from the king's son to pull out her phone, her fingers beginning to speedily move over the keys in what appeared to be deep concentration. "Who's the woman? She doesn't seem overly attentive to the king's son."

 

Emmett grimaced. "The woman is the king's wife. I would suggest keeping your distance from her. Typically I have something good to say about everyone... but not her. She is a viper, and I can guarantee that she won't like you." Glaring for a long moment at Lindsay only glancing at Gus in passing, Emmett shook his head in disgust. "She hasn't seen her son in months, and still, she's more interested in her social connections. I truly abhor her." Breathing in deeply, Emmett turned away from the window, forcing himself to push aside all of the negative vibes that Lindsay's presence evoked, his voice teasing when he spoke again, "And I know why you are driven to provoke the king. It's called sexual chemistry. No matter how you feel about the circumstances of your new reality, the bottom line is quite simple - you want him."

 

Justin shuddered. He didn't need Emmett to remind him of that unwanted fact. Justin knew he had been thinking about the king entirely too much; at times, he had ever fantasized about him, and how things could be if he wasn't the king's slave, and they were on an equal footing. He realized that he could never be equal, but if he was free to come and go as he chose, everything could be so much different. Sadly, he knew that would never be his reality. "It doesn't matter what my body wants. I am strong. I can resist his most relentless pursuit." He watched the woman that he now knew to be the queen, squinting his eyes in the distance, unable to get a good view of her face. "She doesn't mind the king having slaves, and obviously preferring the company of men?"

 

Emmett laughed exuberantly. "Heavens no, sweetie. They don't have that kind of relationship. She wouldn't even exist in the king's world, if not for him feeling honor-bound to give respect to the mother of his child... his heir. Truth be told, he has none for her. Years of frivolous behavior and neglect of their son have made her barely tolerable to him. In my opinion, she wouldn't have to cross much of a line for him to make her an outcast."

 

Both of them were so attentive to the activity in the courtyard, neither of them noticed the footsteps that had crossed into Justin's bedroom, both of them turning when they heard the loud sound of a throat being cleared, both men knowing who was now upon them, and assuming that he had heard every word.

 

"Emmett, if you are finished dissecting the status of my marriage, I would like to speak with Justin..." His eyes narrowing when Emmett sat frozen and unmoving, the king spat out, "That means you need to leave!"

 

Justin remained silent, instinctively knowing this wasn't one of those moments he should provoke the king. Why was he so angry? Was it because of Emmett divulging personal information about the king's marriage to one of his slaves? Or was it something else entirely? He was fairly certain they would all find out. For now though, he knew silence was best.

 

Frowning, despite his typically more casual relationship with the king, Emmett knew he had crossed a line. He shouldn't have been telling Justin, a man that was essentially a slave of the king's, no matter if he believed Brian already valued him as more and would elevate him even further at some future date, such personal details of his life. Nodding to Justin, he briefly bowed his head in the king's direction. "My apologies, Your Highness. I expect we'll speak on this later."

 

"Undoubtedly..." the ruler snapped, his eyes dismissing him, and returning to his rarely silent slave. Before Emmett could fully exit, Brian whipped his head around. "There's been a change of plans. Inform Benjamin to be nearby. Once I am finished here, I want Justin escorted to my rooms immediately!"

 

Eyes widening, uncertain of what caused the king's change of plans, Emmett obligingly responded, "Of course, My King. I'll inform him right away."

 

As soon as they were alone, and his outbursts would be heard by them alone, Justin hissed, "I thought this was to happen after dinner!? What's the rush?"

 

Taking a seat in the chair Emmett had just vacated, Brian gave his blond slave a reproachful glance, before turning to look out at the view in the courtyard, his lips compressing into a grim line as he observed how detached Lindsay was from their son; Gus was running, playing, and alternatively returning to his mother's side, obviously desperate for both her approval and attention. He was disgusted by her behavior. She had been gone for months, and she still ignored the needs of their son. He was just a child, and she seemed not to care. Was he hurting his son by allowing her to remain in his life, even if her returns were always minimal? That was something he truly needed to think about. Returning his gaze to the beautiful man that was far too hot as he glared at him, Brian's response came out in a growl. "Because that is what I have decreed!"

 

"Yeah, that's a good answer..." Justin grumbled. "Why aren't you with your wife and son? I'm sure they would be more enthusiastic about your attention."

 

The king smiled ferally. The boy sought to play with him... now? He intended to be possessing him in a few short hours. Now wasn't the time to incite any of his passions further. "You would be wise to keep a still tongue, my own. Later I will teach you how to use that acidic tongue to please me."

 

"That will never happen!" Justin insisted, his hands clenching around the arms of the chair he sat on, determined he wouldn't stand and begin pacing like an unruly child. Also, in the back of his mind, he knew standing and moving around made him a more accessible target for the lusty king. Forcing himself to concentrate on the king's dictate, Justin knew a more reasonable approach could be more effective. "I know you must have a reason for doing this now and not after dinner. Is it really too much to ask what it is?"

 

Smiling his approval, Brian answered, "There's the reasonable boy I knew you could be. Of course, I have a reason. I am the king. Every action has a purpose."

 

Gritting his teeth, Justin smiled benignly, knowing he was forced to play this game. "And that would be?"

 

"Your mother's servant, Alba, arrived a few hours ago. For whatever reason, your mother has decided to take her meals at the cottage." The king wouldn't be the least bit surprised if she did so because of her unpleasant encounter with his wife. He envied Lady Jennifer the option of choice. He couldn't say he was looking forward to Lindsay at his dinner table with any sort of warm anticipation. "And as I began to explain earlier, I am anxious regarding your safety. Keeping you close is what is best for securing that. I want you there now... not hours later."

 

Swallowing almost convulsively, Justin observed, "You believe that Sapperstein has a spy within the palace walls."

 

"Yes, I do, Justin." The king's voice spoke of seriousness, his concern deep for not only Justin, but for his son, and everyone under his protection. "If he could gain support within the prison, I would be a fool not to consider that. A completely different security process is administered for the selection of the king's personal guards, including those that guard my quarters. I trust those men with my life. Therefore, that is where I need you to be, as we know you are what Sapperstein is after."

 

"Fine, I understand that, but do you really think he would be bold enough to come onto the palace grounds? That would mean instant death!" Justin did understand the threat to him that Sapperstein represented, but he just couldn't envision him bringing it inside the king's home. The deranged man had to have a deeper plan.

 

"Do I think he will try to access any of the rooms inside of the house? No, probably not. I think he will attempt to use the traitor to lure you out of the house and to a location that isn't as secure. That would be his best chance for success, and depending on who is helping him, your new living quarters will limit his opportunity."

 

Justin sighed. "I see. I guess I can't argue your decision or even your logic. You are the king, and clearly, know how to protect your domain. Either way though, this madman is still out there, and won't stop until he's either captured or killed."

 

"That's very true, Justin, and I have an intense search effort ongoing. In addition, I have a tentative plan, one I discussed with your mother earlier... one that could trick Sapperstein into revealing himself..." The king frowned, knowing this could be a sensitive matter, although knowing it was the best chance of flushing Sapperstein out. "I am deliberating on staging a memorial service for your father, outside of the palace grounds. If the news is leaked that you will be present, Sapperstein could possibly seek you out there. Of course, neither you nor your mother will be there."

 

"Sapperstein seems arrogant enough to fall for that, especially if he trusts his source. But wouldn't it seem odd that you would be honoring my father with such a service? After all, he was wanted for treason..."

 

Brian shrugged his shoulders, finding himself uncaring of that part of the plan. The overall appeal of Justin being accessible would be all that Sapperstein would think about. He would be obsessed even more, and it would be his ultimate downfall. At first, he had been pessimistic about this plan being successful, but as he thought about it, in particular, how a depraved animal such as Gary Sapperstein thought, he determined that this could actually work. "Sapperstein probably won't dwell long on my motives. He will assume I am doing this to ingratiate myself to you and gain your mother's approval. It can only work if Sapperstein's informant believes this to be a genuine event and that you will truly be present. In that, I need your cooperation."

 

Justin grinned. "Fine. You have it. Even more than provoking you, I want to see him brought to justice."

 

"Good boy..." the king virtually purred. To his way of thinking, this was an extremely productive day, leading up to what he believed would be a hot and satisfying night. Standing to his feet, Brian reached his hand out to pull Justin up. He was slightly surprised when the younger man willingly complied. "I will begin making the arrangements. In the meantime, however, I want a kiss to tide me over until after dinner." When Justin's eyes narrowed, a spark of resistance flaring in them, Brian huskily urged, "Don't fight me this time, Justin, not in something so small. Save that for later..."

 

Justin opened his mouth to protest, instantly realizing he had been skillfully maneuvered. His mouth had become instantly engulfed by the dominating possession of a man that was determined to claim him... and to do so soon. Justin moaned into the king's possessive kiss, at once feeling acquiescent to a desire that he knew was felt by both of them. Fuck. How would he resist this man? A mere kiss always had his legs feeling like jelly. What more could this fierce and passionate warrior do to him?

 

Little did they know that their passionate embrace was being maliciously observed. From below, an image was discreetly and quickly snapped, the form of the monarch and the beautiful blond slave easily discerned. A moment later, the photo was sent, with a short and precise message. He is in the tower rooms. Inaccessible.

 

TBC