- Text Size +

 

Gary Sapperstein glared at the message, aware that having someone on the inside did very little to help him when the blond slave was being so ridiculously hidden. What exactly did it mean? Could the king know how close he was? No, that was impossible. If the arrogant and blood-thirsty ruler had a clue, he would have his army tearing apart the area, his capture imminent.

 

Only two possibilities came to mind. One, he was punishing the headstrong blond... or it was his way of keeping him out of reach. At this point, he decided it had to be more of the second choice. He was actually surprised that the monarch didn't have the blond secured in his private chambers. His protection and isolation would be achieved even more there... but it would probably raise questions he didn't want to be asked. The boy would be a stand-out, although anyone with eyes in their heads should know that Justin Taylor would be favored over the other slaves. Licking his lips, a snarl curled his lips. He couldn't wait to get his hands on that delicious mass of flesh. He vowed that he would... and it would be much sooner than anyone would expect...

 

Sending a quick and decisive message, he typed, Call me when it is safe. It's time to strike.

 

An evil smile curving his lips, he thought of how he would soon escape with the king's most valued possession. His only regret was that he hadn't fucked Justin before the king had discovered them. Being the first to attack that tight virgin ass would have been so damned sweet. He would have to settle for being second... but the hot little blond would remember his possession far longer than the ruler that owned him. A cold laugh escaped, echoing in the dingy shack he was now forced to call home. Justin wouldn't have to agonize for too long over the comparisons. As soon as he satisfied his lust for the boy, he would slit his throat, making sure the blond's body was returned to the king. He had been demeaned by the primitive king. Even if it ended up in his own death, his retribution would be sweet... and in the end, it would be worth it.

 

His eyes glittered when his phone began to vibrate on the table, cautious enough to have it silenced from anyone possibly snooping outside. "I'll talk, and you listen." Gary walked over to the door, peering anxiously through the windows, making certain no one was near. He had already noticed patrols and increased activity of the king's soldiers. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that a massive manhunt was now underway. He still wasn't sure that he could trust his accomplice on the inside. The man had sought him out, a man that was trusted by the king. He hadn't asked why the influential guard had lost respect for his king. In truth, he didn't really care. All that mattered was results. And the fact that this traitor had full access to all of the king's activities was too much to resist. He had always lived by his instincts, and so far, nothing had alarmed him. Realistically, he told himself that if the man had sought to betray him, the king would have already closed in on him.

 

"Tomorrow night. I just need access to the grounds; I can figure out the rest once I get in." Sapperstein tuned out the expected objections, spitting out, "I decide when and where. You're only needed to make it easier! All I need from you is entrance past the gates, and photos of the inside. I've already told you what I need. And if anything new develops, in particular regarding Justin, I need it immediately! Do you understand me?" he demanded, always hating that he was forced to deal with underlings, but in this case, knew it was vital to his success. And this man had the power to bring Justin to him, should his own plan go awry. He couldn't lose sight of that.

 

"Yes, I understand. There has been much movement on the grounds tonight. I'd surmise that something is happening. Another thought occurred to me..."

 

"What is it?" he snapped, figuring that the informant's information wouldn't be that useful, yet not foolish enough not to hear it.

 

"The boy's mother is staying at the cottage on the grounds. She is protected by a few guards, one in particular never leaves her side... but if Justin is difficult to get to, perhaps the boy will be foolish enough to walk into a trap if his mother needs him..."

 

That was a very good idea and one that he knew he should have thought of himself. "Good thinking, although how would Justin even slip away from his guards, since the king seems to be guarding him so zealously?"

 

"The blond seems to be an enterprising young man. If his mother were in danger, I think he'd find a way. All things considered, I do think she is the key." A mocking laugh followed. "Also, I think you forget how much access I have to the king. That also extends to any of his slaves..."

 

"Fine, for now, we'll go with targeting the widow Taylor. From what I've observed she is weak and wouldn't put up much of a fight. As long as it ends with me getting my hands on Justin, I don't care who is used to making that happen." Feeling his dick hardening at the very thought of being closer to his victim as soon as tomorrow night, the plans began to deepen in his mind. "Call me in the morning and advise me of any changes on the palace grounds. I need to know everything, no matter how slight it may seem."

 

"Of course. I had better get back to the others. I don't want the king to become suspicious. It's not a simple feat alluding to the king's radar. The fact that he trusts me makes our path much easier."

 

A cold laugh followed. "Well, I do try to think of everything... Keep in touch, and watch your back. Having you discovered or killed isn't in my best interests long term. I need a source that has access to the king, as well as those around him."

 

"You have that. I have already sworn so." Ben pocketed the phone, moving back toward the palace, unaware of the queen's eyes following him, and not even at a distance, but close enough to have heard every word.

 

Interesting, Lindsay thought to herself. Ben was a traitor to the king? Incredible! She pondered that for a long moment, wondering what she could do with that information to secure her position. Brian would be devastated... and out for blood. If the knowledge of such a shocking betrayal found its way to the king, it would be total chaos and destruction within these walls. It would be better to use the information to enhance her own goals. Far from a fool, Lindsay realized she had pushed Brian too hard on her return. Nor did it ever escape her recollection that she wasn't legally married to the king. Not any longer. Should Brian ever want to bring on the scandal, he could cast her out in an instant. She had to proceed with caution, but first, she wanted to see this slave Brian was so obsessive about. Only then could she determine the validity of the threat to her lifestyle. Should he be the threat she feared he could be, Ben wouldn't find an enemy in her, but a sudden ally.

 


 

Justin pushed his dinner around on his plate, as always the taste was delicious, but his confusion and nervousness of the night to come even affected his appetite. That in itself was an oddity for him. His eyes moved around the table, a frown falling on his face when he observed everyone watching him. The queen sat at the far end of the table opposite the king, her eyes glacially staring at him from the distance. In that instant, he realized he had an enemy... but for what reason? It was apparent that there was no love between the king and his wife, and yet, hatred emanated from her. He looked away, the menace in her eyes disturbing, his attention briefly falling to the king, immediately observing the narrow-eyed gaze the ruler directed toward his wife.

 

"Is your dinner not to your liking, Justin?" the king asked, not a doubt in his mind that wasn't the problem with the blond's lack of appetite.

 

"It's fine, Your Highness..." Justin responded in a low whisper, not even looking up from his plate. "I'm just not very hungry." Looking over to his far left, he met the king's burning gaze, he swallowed slowly as he realized tonight was the night, and he couldn't possibly evade the reality of it any longer. Perhaps it was for the best, he thought. There wasn't a doubt that he was physically attracted to the gorgeous and hot-blooded king, although he still wasn't happy with how this night was to come about. If only he wasn't the king's slave, and that archaic contract didn't exist. Then, he would be looking at this much differently.

 

"I'm sure that's not the problem, my own, but I'll allow leniency tonight." Brian licked his lips as he feasted his eyes on the beautiful blond... one that he would be possessing very soon now. This dinner needed to end, and his duties needed to be attended to expediently. He had to have him. In fact, he couldn't imagine lasting out the hour without slaking his lust deep within this entirely too beguiling man. "Should you wish, you may be excused from the rest of dinner. I'm sure dessert can be delivered to my rooms later... should you desire it."

 

Justin shivered. His rooms. There was nothing like announcing to all those closest to him that Justin was about to be moved into the king's bedchamber. Once more, he looked down the length of the table, only to find an even more intense look of hatred shooting from the queen's eyes. She truly despised him for whatever reason, in fact, her look was almost murderous. He would need to watch his back. That was more than apparent now. "I doubt that I will... but I would like to be excused."

 

Emmett watched the awkward exchange, his eyes not missing the animosity in Lindsay's gaze. This wasn't good at all. He genuinely feared for his new friend, even though he was under the king's highest level of security. She was up to something, and whatever it was, it spelled trouble for the innocent young man. "My King, I can escort Justin to your chambers. I am all but finished here."

 

The king nodded curtly, his attention drifting between Justin and his so-called wife at the end of the table. He needed to speak with her before he joined Justin. Her malicious stare would not be his last thought before he claimed his most precious possession. "Yes, that's fine, Emmett. Take one of the guards with you, and advise my personal guards that no one is allowed entrance unless I am present."

 

Standing to his feet, Emmett smiled warmly at Justin. "I'm ready whenever you are, Justin." He looked once again to the king. "I will stay with him until you arrive... if that pleases you."

 

"Thank you, Emmett. It pleases me very much." Brian returned, silence immediately falling over the room as the queen spoke in what was a sudden and antagonistic outburst.

 

"What the hell, Brian? This is an outrage!" Lindsay protested, her anger making her not only lose her temper but speak out of turn as well. "He is a slave. The coddling is ridiculous!"

 

His hand clenching into a fist on the table, Brian spat out, "Once you are finished with dinner, Lindsay, I want to speak with you in my study." He watched as Emmett hurriedly escorted Justin from the dining hall, another guard quick to follow. He wouldn't be surprised if everyone present wanted to escape the sudden tension in the one place he always tried to instill calm. Typically, it was his goal to have a relaxing dinner, passing that along to his guards, as they deserved no less after all they did on a daily basis keeping his home and people safe. He knew he shouldn't be surprised that Lindsay would callously interrupt that peace.

 

Lindsay inclined her head, knowing in the presence of the guards she needed to back down. Arguing with the king in the presence of witnesses was forbidden. "I'm ready whenever you are."

 

Ignoring Lindsay's outrageous and unforgivable behavior, Brian looked at Ben, telling him sternly, "I need you to be on high alert, Benjamin. Make certain that our guards are distributed appropriately. I'd also like you to personally make tours of the grounds at intervals. There can be no areas of weakness. I'll meet with you in the morning and we'll discuss our strategy in more detail."

 

"Yes, Your Highness." Ben glanced apologetically at Michael, surprised that he didn't receive a pouting response, both of them knowing that his attention would be fully on the king's business tonight, and probably in the days to come. "I will make my first round as soon as dinner is finished."

 

"Thank you. We will get through this." Standing to his feet, the king advised, "Stay and enjoy your dinner. You may need all your strength in the days to come." His eyes icily touching on Lindsay, he told her, "I will be in my study..."

 

Silently, everyone watched as the king left the dining hall, two of his guards dutifully by his side. Once the king was gone, eyes watched as the queen stood to her feet, her head held high, her eyes condescending on all of them. "Good evening, gentlemen. I don't require an escort."

 

All at the king's table breathed a sigh of relief. Although unspoken, none of the guards wished to accompany her, even if one man seated at the table was brave enough to mock her as she passed by. "Welcome home, dear Queen..." Michael's tone was derisive, his dislike evident in both his voice and in the scathing glance that followed, a gasp escaping when his partner not so discreetly elbowed him in the side.

 

"Michael..." she sneered. "Good evening. I'm afraid I can't stay and chat. The king is expecting me..."

 

Snickering, Michael responded, "Yeah, we know. Do have fun with that, dear."

 

Gasping, Lindsay slammed through the doors, muttering her outrage for anyone to hear. This had been the most horrid of homecomings... and she deduced the horror hadn't ended yet. She had overstepped her boundaries at dinner and knew she would be facing an enraged king. Of course, it wasn't in her to be demure, but she knew she would be forced to show a degree of humility. Otherwise, life could quickly become unpleasant and disruptive for her, and that was something she wasn't about to allow.

 

To her surprise the door was ajar, with the king pacing back and forth, obviously waiting for her arrival. She didn't delude herself that it was out of any great desire to talk to her, but more as a chore he hoped to conclude quickly before he returned to what was most prevalent on his mind - bedding his little blond slave.

 

"Close the door behind you..." the king snapped, his eyes savaging her in one angry glance.

 

Knowing this wasn't the time to either protest or provoke the king further, Lindsay complied with that simple task, turning to face him, attempting to be her most apologetic, a smile of pure innocence on her face. "Brian, I didn't mean to upset you or cause an incident. Your slave's presence in the dining hall is just extraordinary... and to install him in your bedchamber on the night of my return is an insult to me. Surely you can see that?"

 

"What I can see is that you have once again behaved inappropriately in front of my men. And you know I can't have that!" The king exhaled, forcing himself to remember exactly why she was here. His contempt for her was only growing, his respect for the mother of his child being nearly non-existent now. Lindsay was foolish not to see that and respond more favorably. "My slaves are none of your business - now or ever! When and where I have them is my decision alone! This is your final warning, Lindsay. Continue to provoke me and your true status will be revealed, and in doing so, you will be banished from my home and my country!"

 

"M-my true status?" she began to stammer. Was Brian actually threatening to reveal to the entire kingdom that she wasn't truly the queen? That they were no longer married? "Brian, you've never suggested this before! I thought you wanted the convenience of a wife. You would throw that away because I degraded your new toy? This is unbelievable, Brian. I deserve your respect!"

 

Brian looked at Lindsay with a suddenly gaping jaw. "Deserve my respect? Are you out of your fucking mind!? Get out of my sight before I forget the fact that you gave birth to my son and heir. That is the only thing that saves you. However, keep up with your behavior and that won't be enough for much longer!"

 

Lindsay made to approach him, her eyes widening in sudden fear as she watched a cold mask transforming his face. "B-Brian, I'm sorry. I'll try to do better."

 

"Just get out, Lindsay. I've had enough for today..." Brian's voice was weary, with a slight level of anguish that Lindsay wouldn't be astute enough to catch, but a feeling he understood all too well. In time, he knew he would probably have to banish her. Despite her words of contrition, he was well versed in reading others. She didn't mean a word of it. And after watching how she visually attacked Justin at dinner, he knew a storm was on the horizon. He would need to tread cautiously. The feelings of his son would have to be considered. Once the crisis of Sapperstein was handled, then he would determine how to best handle Lindsay and her venom.

 

There wasn't a doubt that both situations were ticking time bombs. They both needed to be remedied... and soon.

 

TBC