- Text Size +

 

Brian nodded to the guards that stood inside the front entrance of his home, telling them in a cold final certainty. "If anyone attempts to force his way inside, do NOT try to kill them. If it's at all possible, shoot to maim them, but not kill. That is to be left for me!" Knowing this would be the most difficult part for them to understand, he spoke with authority and succinctly. "That includes Tucker or any guards that are stationed outside of the house." He looked at each one sharply, looking for weakness or any sign of disobedience. "Do you understand these instructions?"

 

The guards all bowed to the waist, answering in unison, almost as if the words came from only one man. "Yes, Your Highness."

 

Hurriedly, the king proceeded down the front steps of the palace, briefly glancing at the guard that accompanied him. He didn't want to stand out more than usual. Having one guard with him was customary, an entire troop at his side would spook the men he sought to quickly capture. Whether seen or not, he did have an army of guards spread out strategically around him. He had the general vicinity of Sapperstein's location, along with the Lady Jennifer as well; however, he had a bigger concern than Sapperstein. Tucker was eluding the cameras, therefore, currently undetected by him. He wasn't a fool. That was deliberate.

 

There wasn't a doubt that this mission would be more manageable with Ben by his side. He wished that he could be, but the protection of his son made any concession acceptable. In that placement, he realized he had gone a bit overboard. The odds that anyone not him making it past the armed guards outside of his suite of rooms was highly unlikely. Yet, he didn't feel he could take that chance. The night he had spent with Justin had been enough of one. Regardless of how ill-timed that night had been, he couldn't find it in him to regret it. He had wanted him too much. He wanted him even more now. As soon as this was over, he would have him again and again.

 

Reaching for the handheld communication device he insisted his guards carry, and now carried himself, he spoke into it in a hushed, yet commanding voice. "Close in on your target. Neutralize the intruder, but do not kill him. If Lady Jennifer is in the path, wait for a better opportunity. She is not to be harmed. I will only communicate under emergency circumstances. I don't want either of them to hear us coming."

 

Brian silenced his radio, doing so with mixed feelings. As much as it was safer for Tucker and Sapperstein to remain oblivious to his movements, it was also beneficial to have contact with his men. He could work around that. Sapperstein was trapped whether he knew it or not. The unknown variable now was Tucker. That disturbed him. Tucker knew the lay of the land, and how he directed his guards to react to every situation. He needed to locate him quickly.

 

He had only taken a few steps when he heard the unmistakable sound of a gun clicking behind him. Gritting his teeth, knowing the battle was already on him, his hand reached for his sword as he swiftly twisted around, his blade extending forward to disarm his assailant and forcefully push him back until his attacker's backside was against the side of the house. He scowled when he observed the turban and concealing scarves over the man's face, not foolish enough to relinquish his position of power holding the sword against the man's trembling throat even for a mere instant. "Show yourself..." the king demanded, his blade poking at the sensitive jugular vein that now visibly throbbed in fear. "Now!" he hissed. "Or I will split you in two - sight unseen!" Not pausing to look at the guard accompanying him, the king demanded, "Keep a lookout. It's doubtful this man is alone."

 

The hand slowly pulled the scarves away revealing Tucker, his eyes filled with hatred, directed entirely at the ruler that had once thought he possessed his complete loyalty. It was clear to see that the king was already wise to him and his association with Gary Sapperstein. This was the best of diversionary tactics. Sapperstein had thought this plan out well and was far from the fool the king thought him to be. "You've got me. If you're smart, you'll finish me now. A retreat is your best option."

 

Laughter erupted in the king, the shaking of his body causing the tip of his sword to nick the skin of Tucker's throat. Once he sobered, he looked at the cut that began to slightly bleed. "How careless of me; I seemed to have prematurely injured you. Not to worry, though. Your end will come quickly. I desire a speedy resolution."

 

"I don't think so..." the voice spoke from behind him. "I would suggest you lower your sword. I can shoot you in the back in an instant... and I think you know that."

 

Brian's back tensed as he recognized the voice of the guard that was his shadow. What the actual fuck? Wasn't anyone loyal to him? Briefly gnashing his teeth together, a snarl the instant result, the king angrily spat out, "How many treasonous cowards can there possibly be? And under my own watchful eye?"

 

"A man of power always has enemies... and you have clearly been distracted by your more pleasurable pursuits." Tucker laughed as the king lowered his sword, more than ecstatic by this turn of events. Finally, they had the upper hand... and he intended on keeping it. "This is what will happen, My dear King." Tucker's smile was cold and unfeeling, his voice dripping with sarcasm as he cautiously watched the unpredictable monarch. "We are about to take a little walk. I'm sure my partner in crime has much to say to you. Then, we wait for Justin's arrival. After that, I'm sure we'll leave you to rule your kingdom." Swiftly, Tucker kicked the king's sword and gun in the guard's direction, roughly patting the ruler down making sure no other weapons were present. This was a humiliation for the controlling king. Tucker loved every moment of it.

 

The king's eyes glinted savagely at the mention of Justin's name. What kind of lunacy did Tucker speak? Why would he even think Justin would be vulnerable to their capture? It was unfathomable and sheer insanity. Tucker and Sapperstein both knew that Justin was under his most intense protection. "Your partner in crime, as you say, has probably already been captured. You forgot to disable the surveillance cameras; I know his precise location."

 

"Fuck!" Tucker swore. "How could we have forgotten that!? It doesn't matter. With or without Sapperstein, this plan will play out. I have no use for the blond, at least, not like Gary does... but if taking him away hurts you, well, I am all for doing that." Tucker pushed the king forward, elated by how exerting force on this man felt. It was euphoric.

 

Brian stilled his steps, turning to pierce Tucker with cold, unforgiving eyes. "Tucker, you are making a grave mistake. Nothing positive can come from this for you. Justin is protected, he won't be accessible to either of you. And at the right moment, I will kill both of you." He almost snickered when the guard gasped and took a step back. Despite having obvious loyalty to Sapperstein, his former guard apparently feared him as well. It wasn't a good mix for these criminals to be successful. Nor would they be. "I just want to know why. I have treated you with honor and elevated you within my ranks. Why do you betray me?"

 

Shifting on his feet nervously, the guard that now carried Brian's gun and sword, hurriedly advised, "Tucker, we should keep moving. We are open targets out here. The king has guards following him. They could move in on us at any moment."

 

"We are not holding a weapon on him. They will not engage without a direct command." Tucker looked around, uncertain of the truth of his own words. "Call them and tell them to go back. If you don't, things will get even more unpleasant." Tucker sneered. "Your Highness..." He hoped the king didn't realize he was speaking with pure bravado. There wasn't a doubt of the king's skills as a warrior being the most superior. If he engaged in battle, the king would hold the advantage, even though it would be two against one.

 

Piercing the disloyal guardsman with an intense, searching gaze, Brian decided to play along, more to stall for time to weigh his options. All in all, this was only a waiting game and one that he would win. When the right moment was present, they would each be disarmed... and dead. No other outcome was acceptable now. He reached for his radio, upon turning on the volume, hearing his guards calling out in distress and clear confusion of what to do next. "Relax. I am fine. Split up into two groups and monitor all the entrances to the house. Alert me as soon as Sapperstein is captured." His lips twisted into a savage smile as he spoke the last words, sensing that if they received news their obvious leader was captured, they would essentially collapse.

 

"You can play all the mind games you want. I know how you excel at them. They won't faze me." Tucker kept his chin held high, determined not to show this menacing ruler any kind of hesitation. "Now, let's get moving. I know someone is eagerly expecting us."

 

Brian nodded, walking along slowly, giving the impression he didn't have a care in the world. That was far from the truth. He was strategizing his next move, and the one after, and so on. It was his way. Much would hinge on how adept Sapperstein had been at evading his men. If he was captured before they reached him, then the resolution would be swift. If he wasn't, and still had Lady Jennifer in his grasp, then, he would bide his time. "So, Tucker... tell me how your deranged leader thinks Justin will miraculously come to him when he's under my most intense security?"

 

"That's very simple. Ben will cause that to take place." As they walked along, he noticed the king's look of amusement, a look one had when he possessed a valuable secret. "Of course, we know Ben isn't truly with us. I told Gary he was a fool to enlist him. There is no way he would ever betray you or his country."

 

"I know this."

 

Tucker continued, eager to tell the king how powerless he was now, and how unpleasant things would continue to be. "Once Ben discovers you are in danger, he won't stay behind protecting your lover or your son." Tucker laughed when the king released an uncustomary gasp. "Yes, we know exactly what's going on inside the palace, and where all our players are. Don't forget - one of your house guards is with us now; he has told us everything. Ben will rush to save his king, complying with our demands. And we both know what Sapperstein will demand from him."

 

It took all of his restraint not to kill the traitorous guard that walked with them, knowing he had divulged everything that was happening inside his home. Brian's nostrils flared, rage causing his stomach to clench, his breathing quickening as he fought the impulse to strike out now, even knowing the timing was not right. "Justin..." he snarled. "Why are you doing this, Tucker? At least answer me that."

 

Shrugging, he continued to walk, not the least bit ill at ease now, knowing he would be at the meeting point very soon. "Your father..." Tucker spat out. "He was evil and a terrible king. He raped and then killed my mother in front of my father's eyes. Mine as well, although my presence wasn't known to anyone at the time. I was thirteen years old." Briefly, he met the king's eyes, to his surprise he thought he detected a glimmer of compassion in them. "I do realize that the son is not the father; however, I promised my father that revenge would be met. He died less than a year after my mother. I will have my revenge."

 

Brian stopped, his body turning in Tucker's direction. "I can't undo what happened in the past, but I am sorry about my father's actions. Sorry is not a word I often use, but it is all I can offer. I am not totally without mercy; I can see how a young man could be provoked by a horrific tragedy to right a terrible wrong. If you surrender and assist in Sapperstein's capture, I will spare your life. However, if you do not, you will die at the end of my sword."

 

Tucker actually thought about the king's words, giving them careful consideration. He had been on this path for so long, he couldn't back down now. He pointed his gun at the king's chest, fear merging with hatred in his eyes. "You talk a nice game; in fact, you always have. But one thing will always be unchanging. Every time I look at you, all I see is your father and his evil. Nothing can change that now."

 

"I see." The king's tone was sad, realizing without an uncertainty remaining that he would be forced to kill this man, one that he had hoped could be saved... but no longer. He had played along for about as long as he was going to. It didn't appear to be productive, and so far, he hadn't been alerted as to Sapperstein's capture. At this point, he had to assume Sapperstein had eluded his men... and that was something that troubled him. Was there even a remote possibility that Sapperstein could get to Justin in the house? It was unthinkable, and yet, he had to consider it. This had to end now. "I'm afraid that makes my choice very simple. You must die tonight."

 

His former guard gasped, taking an immediate step back, while Tucker stiffened his spine and stared coldly at the king. "You forget that we have weapons and you are now unarmed. There's very little you can do, oh fierce and powerful one..." Tucker's voice dripped with sarcasm, the mockery present in every word. Despite his words, he wasn't oozing with confidence. Unarmed or not, this was the King of Tehara, a fiercely skilled warrior. The king could change their circumstances quickly.

 

The king laughed coldly, his eyes brutally assessing each man. "I realize your fear is choosing your words, Tucker. You know that isn't true. As I also know that your boss isn't foolish enough to assassinate his king. That would bring more attention to him than he could possibly want. I suspect he is simply trying to maneuver his way around my movements, hoping you will buy him enough time." Brian paused when he heard a nearby sound. Footsteps that could barely be detected, but with a motion he recognized. Things were about to get interesting. "Trust me, it won't be."

 

Everyone stilled as a shot fired, and the guard that stood closest to the king fell helplessly to the ground, Brian reaching out to grasp his sword when it was just in reach. A feral smile twisted Brian's lips as he turned to face Tucker, the gun in the other man's hand trembling... even now, displaying extreme cowardice. "Drop the gun, Tucker. It's over."

 

"You heard the king. Discard your weapon, or I will fill you with holes too." Ben came out from the shadows, his eyes attentive on Tucker, watching and judging his every move. Shaking his head in sheer disappointment, Ben sadly admonished, "I'm deeply ashamed, Tucker. I valued you as a friend and a trusted comrade. I've been such a fool."

 

Leaning down, the king picked up Tucker's weapon, swiftly securing it before he motioned for the trio of guards that he noticed rushing toward them. "Search him, and then we can move on." The king turned to look at Ben, his eyes narrowing on the loyal subject that knew he could soon be facing his master's wrath. "Later, we will discuss your blatant disobedience; however, in the meantime, I will thank you for your assistance."

 

"You're welcome," Ben smirked, sensing that he wasn't in too much trouble. "Perhaps this will ease your mind - Sapperstein has been apprehended, and he is in custody inside the cottage, surrounded and bound. I took Lady Jennifer to the secret room. And now I'm here with you."

 

The king whistled in surprise, inclining his head in response, laughing at the curses that now slid from Tucker's throat. Tucker knew he was doomed to failure now; in actuality, he should have always known it. In other circumstances, he would have enjoyed it more, but this truth about Tucker was bittersweet. "Let's move. I want to wrap this mess up tonight." Watching as his guards pushed an unresisting, and clearly defeated Tucker forward, he turned to Ben. "Excellent work, Benjamin. Now, let's get this finished..."

 

TBC