- Text Size +

 

"Your Highness?" Ben asked, keeping step with the king as they neared the house.

 

Continuing his quick stride, Brian cast an annoyed glance in Ben's direction. No matter how many times he had asked, Ben always followed royal protocol in regard to how he addressed him. He had never viewed him as just another guard, and most definitely not a simple servant. Ben was an advisor of sorts, not that he ever took anyone's advice but his own, and even within their different social structures, he considered him as a friend. "Benjamin, I've asked you this before... when we are alone, you can call me by name."

 

Ben shook his head, his answer quick to come. "No, I couldn't do that. It just feels too strange. You are, My King. I must show my respect to you... always."

 

Brian sighed as they continued to walk. He realized he needed to surrender in this fight. He had never won this battle, and by now, he probably never would. Clicking his tongue, he decided to use one other tactic to catch him off guard, fairly certain this attempt would fail as well. "I should have tried harder to get you into my bed. If I had fucked you, I doubt you would insist on such formality."

 

Ben surprised himself, as well as the king when he laughed. "As enjoyable as I'm sure that would have been, I worry that I would have become uncomfortable. I am built more for one-on-one relationships. Over time, I may have resented your other lovers, perhaps even became jealous of them. Momentary bliss wouldn't be worth the risk of me losing focus. Your safety, along with Gus, is superseded by nothing else."

 

"I can't argue that logic, although I'll probably always wonder. Michael is extremely fortunate to have your devotion. It's a rarity to find." The king quickened his pace as they neared the house, turning to add, "I hope he realizes that."

 

"I think he does." Ben frowned, at once, he remembered what he had wanted to mention to his king, the unexpected turn their conversation had taken, having completely distracted him. "Your Majesty, I wanted to alert you to what occurred in the secret room... before I left and came to find you."

 

The king stopped walking, turning to pierce his security advisor with an intense look. "What happened?" he snapped, Ben's wording causing him to expect the very worst.

 

"I would explain that simply as - the inhabitants are very diverse and don't coexist very well," Ben answered with a slight chuckle.

 

Brian swore. "What has my hot-headed little blond done now?"

 

"Justin?" Ben asked in surprise. "Actually, it would be the blonde that is your wife. While I was still in the room, Lindsay had been extremely unpleasant to Justin... and well, you know how she and Michael get along. He didn't help much in keeping her calm. God only knows how much that has escalated..."

 

Briefly, Brian averted his eyes, feeling a slight bit guilty that he had never divulged the truth of his marriage to Lindsay to the man he trusted above anyone else, a man that had always been consumed by his duty to his king. "I'm sure they'll be fine." Clearing his throat, uncertain of how to broach the subject, but feeling the deep need to do so. "Ben... about Lindsay."

 

Ben was silent for a moment, waiting for the king to continue, and yet, uncertain if they should be taking the time to talk now. "I'm listening, but perhaps we should go let them out. That could resolve much of the discord."

 

"I don't envision any violence breaking out... and if it gets too unpleasant, I expect Gus will speak his mind." A rare soft smile touched the king's lips. "My son will be a remarkable king one day. He already exhibits so many characteristics."

 

Nodding, Ben spoke before thinking. "Perhaps too many for a boy of his age."

 

"What are you implying?" Brian asked in his most authoritative voice.

 

"I didn't intend any disrespect, Your Highness." Ben took a deep breath, knowing that in some cases it was imperative to proceed with caution. The king was extremely protective and doting on his young son, and this was definitely one of those times. "I don't need to tell you how fond I am of Gus, and how confident that I am that he will make a great ruler one day; however, that day shouldn't be now. He needs to be a kid too."

 

"Very well, Benjamin. I suppose I can concede that point. Even though Gus will never be the same as other children his age, I do admit that he can be much too severe. I will see what I can do about that." Casting a momentary glance in the direction of the house, Brian turned to face Ben, determined to be honest with him about Lindsay, for some reason, feeling it was the right time. "What I am about to tell you must be kept in the strictest confidence. You cannot tell anyone. Is that clear?"

 

Eyes widening, his face attentive to his king, Ben nodded emphatically. "Of course, Your Majesty. Always..."

 

"Very well. There is a variable to my marriage that very few people know; in fact, only myself, Lindsay... and Emmett." Brian smiled at Ben's look of surprise. "Emmett received his knowledge on a night when I was drunk and raging about Lindsay's continued improper behavior. It was then that I blurted out that Lindsay is no longer my wife. The marriage was dissolved shortly after Gus' birth."

 

"What!?" Ben exclaimed. "This is incredible! So, she's actually not the queen? At any time of your choosing, you could make that public knowledge, and she could be out of our lives forever!"

 

The king grunted. "Precisely. Sadly, I think that day is rapidly approaching. Her decorum leaves me little choice. The scandal the announcement would cause is minimal to the daily stress she inflicts on anyone she comes in contact with. My patience is quickly evaporating..."

 

"Completely understandable, Sir. I have to admit it's a relief that she would be so easily dispatched should you desire to do so. Keeping this from Michael will be difficult, but I am a man of honor." Ben couldn't describe how elated he was by this news. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that his king would one day cast out the woman that had provided him with an heir but had no other positive characteristics to contribute to her worth. It would be a day of celebration for all of them.

 

"I appreciate that, Benjamin. Michael despises Lindsay. He wouldn't be able to keep from goading her unnecessarily. It has always been my hope that she would develop a normal relationship with our son; however, that doesn't appear to be the case. I have a number of decisions to make, with Lindsay being a key one. I will do that soon." Jerking his head in the direction of the house, Brian advised him, "that is for later, for now, it's time to let them out."

 

Ben followed along, his heart much lighter with this unexpected piece of news. Somehow, the future didn't seem as bleak as it normally did when Lindsay was around. Now, he knew the king was thinking of throwing her out. After listening to the king, he surmised it was only a matter of time.

 


 

Lindsay was the first one that rushed to the door once it was opened, with an irritated king glowering at her. "It's about time, Brian. I cannot believe you would expect me to suffer in the company of these common people, and in such tight quarters!"

 

"Silence!" he snapped, his eyes looking past her and around the room. "I believe your mouth has run rampant enough tonight."

 

Michael snickered from behind them. "That's an understatement." Raising his eyes to meet the king's disapproving stare, Michael contritely added, "My apologies, Your Highness."

 

"It's fine, Michael. I realize this wasn't an ideal situation for anyone... but it was the safest solution." He stepped into the room, his eyes momentarily resting on his son that was asleep. He doubted he had been for the entire time, but he was relieved that he had managed to find some rest amidst all the chaos. "Lindsay, I wish to see you in my office in the morning. We have much to discuss. For now, I will say goodnight."

 

"That's all you have to say to me? Your wife!?" Lindsay raged, her disbelief at Brian's callous treatment of her in front of these people that she viewed as her enemies, causing her to take this risk that she knew wasn't wise to take. She didn't back down, not even when she viewed the ice in Brian's eyes, knowing the king as she did, there was no going back and no mercy for her in his heart. "B-Brian..." she began, her voice suddenly becoming more timid.

 

His eyes cold and unforgiving, he didn't look away from Lindsay when he addressed Ben. "Benjamin, escort Lady Jennifer to a suite in the house. If Emmett is awake, he can assist in that." The king glanced briefly in Jennifer's direction. "I'm afraid the cottage isn't habitable at the moment." He knew this next request would enrage Lindsay further, although he didn't really care. "Michael, could you see that Gus is settled in for the night? My son is comfortable with you, and I would be most grateful for your help."

 

"Of course, Your Highness." Michael inclined his head, honored that the king had entrusted him with such an important task.

 

Lindsay appeared to be on the verge of protesting when Brian effectively silenced her. "I wouldn't say another word if I were you."

 

"If you are finished humiliating me in front of everyone, I would like to go to my rooms..." Lindsay wasn't a fool. She knew she had pushed Brian too far. Time and distance was her only hope now.

 

"Whatever happens from this point onwards is your doing entirely. Goodnight, Lindsay. We'll speak in the morning."

 

As Jennifer stood to her feet, briefly exchanging a look with Justin, before moving to pass the king, she graciously expressed, "Thank you for all that you've done to keep us safe. When you have time, I would like to meet with you regarding my choice of where I would like to live. I've made that decision, but it's nothing that can't wait."

 

"Certainly..." Brian found himself mildly curious about her decision but did remember that he had told her she was free to choose. "I can meet with you sometime tomorrow. I will have Emmett give you a time in the morning. Goodnight, Jennifer."

 

Justin frowned as he listened to the king interacting with his mother. What had she decided? Either way, he wouldn't interfere. She had gone through hell, not just recently, but during her entire time in Tehara. He would respect any choice she made. He turned his attention to the king, not surprised to find his eyes on him, hungry and wild, more intense than he'd ever seen them. Soon, they would be alone. He had the feeling the king was intending to pick up where they had left off. Feeling captured and possessed by the king's hot gaze, he decided he was fine with that... at least for tonight.

 

Brian remained silent as his instructions were carried out, and one-by-one, everyone filed out of the room... everyone except the one he desperately wanted to spend some time with - his gorgeous slave that he craved even more now than ever before. "Alone at last..." Brian breathed huskily, his eyes devouring the hot blond, the lust riding him causing his heart to pound as fiercely as the throbbing in his cock. He began to advance toward the blond, this time going to him instead of demanding the opposite. "Once more, I have killed for you, my own. I do believe I am owed some kind of recompense for that."

 

Deliberately, Justin's tongue swiped at his bottom lip, his body language, and sultry expression, displaying how much he welcomed the king's advances. "I suppose some recompense could be awarded."

 

"I'm glad you feel that way," Brian growled, his nostrils flaring as he came closer to his enticing prey. He wanted him so fucking much. It would be a miracle if they made it back to his bed. "My hunting instincts are still soaring inside of me. It is the way at the end of such a savage encounter. Now, my desires are moving in a different direction. I want what I fought so hard to protect... what belongs to me. This will be a long night for you."

 

"Well then, I guess we'd better get started..." Justin whispered in a hoarse voice, his eyes drowning in the lust that turned hazel eyes black. Tomorrow, he would think about the future, and what he would and would not accept in his new life... but for tonight, he belonged to his king. As the ruler's arms swallowed him up, Justin clutched at his lover, their lips meeting in an exchange of fiery promise. It would be a long night, with an unknown future on the horizon... but for now, the present was all that mattered.

 

TBC