- Text Size +

 

Justin stared at his parents in astounded horror. "Would you mind repeating that, Dad? I know I didn't hear you correctly."

 

Jennifer Taylor's face appeared haggard, her polite smile and typical calm demeanor nowhere to be found. "I just discovered this today too, Justin. I am sure we can find a way out of this... we just have to be patient and find a solution that all parties can accept."

 

"That all parties can accept..." Justin mimicked. "You just said that I am essentially the king's chattel, to swoop down on at a time of his choosing. This is the 21st Century. The time of free will, even in this land - the era of arranged marriages is long past!"

 

Craig cleared his throat dramatically, holding up a forestalling hand. "That isn't quite true, Justin. The hierarchy still lives by the laws of its ancestors, as do most of the older families in this land, and allow me to be more clear, even though the king does prefer the company of men - no one has offered you marriage. You were a clause in a peace treaty. Our family lost a vicious war with the Safar's, one that our family initiated. The Safar family had always been the rightful heirs to the throne, but my father... your grandfather was hungry for ultimate power. As my father's only son, I had to respect his choices. Many lives were lost. Peace could only be attained with a grand sacrifice."

 

"So offering your unborn child, no matter if it was male or female, to the former king's heir was the grand sacrifice? Why must I pay for your father's tyranny?" Justin demanded, his eyes wild in his dismay and complete rage. What shocked him, even more, was his father's admittance the king was queer. That was not common in this land, at least not to his knowledge. Now, he had to silence his response to that news, mindful of the fact that his father still wasn't aware how he preferred men as well. He didn't doubt that his father would rather see him as the king's slave, than anything of a sexual nature - married to the king or not. Sir Craig Taylor would be fine with the king humiliating his son, but for his son to be the king's lover, he would then become banished from the Taylor line.

 

"He does have a good point, Craig. Justin should not be held to this barbaric agreement. It's been how many years now? What would King Bruhier do if Justin reneged on the contract?" Jennifer asked, her heart lurching as she watched Craig's look of shock turning into horror. Apparently, her husband didn't view that as a viable option.

 

"I can't answer that, Jennifer. That is all in the hands of King Bruhier. I understand he prefers to be called Brian - if he gives you permission to address him informally. I have sent a missive to him, imploring him to take action - one way or another," Craig stated curtly, knowing what would be coming from his pristine and all too proper wife. He wondered how his delicate wife would respond if she knew it had been his idea alone, and not one engineered by his father that struck the deal with the current king's grandfather. He had alluded to it earlier, but he had left her a bit vague on those particulars... All hell would break loose. If not for the inopportune timing, he thought it might be good sport to reveal all to not only her... but his ungrateful son as well.

 

"A missive? How could you do that, Craig?" Jennifer's eyes bulged in horror. "I know you do not descend from royalty, and I never lived that life during my time in Europe; however... you don't just send missives to the king! He will be offended... outraged even. In fact, he's probably either on his way here now, or has dispatched someone to reprimand us all!"

 

"That's not exactly a bad thing, Jennifer. This could be resolved with an appearance by the king!" Craig barked, his face becoming red with anger and embarrassment sweltered in him with how his wife was arguing with him in front of their son. Jennifer would never understand that wasn't how things were done here. Even after all of these years, the clueless woman still didn't get it. He sneered as he looked at her, finding her value diminishing even more. She had only provided him with one heir, and that child wasn't his to mold if the king decided to claim him. Her saving grace had always been her bloodline, and the money attached to her name.

 

Justin watched incredulously as his parents argued. Plain and simple, this was a nightmare. And one where he played the starring role. He didn't like it one single bit. "Listen, there's an easy solution. What if I just leave the country for a while? I can go to Europe or even to America. We can let this all blow over. There must be a time frame for the king to act. Isn't there?"

 

"Is there, Craig?" Jennifer demanded, receiving an immediate glare from her husband.

 

"Well, of course, there is. This matter is contractual. It wouldn't be open-ended!" Craig exploded, his icy gaze telling his wife there would be consequences for her brazen behavior. "Jennifer, go to our rooms; I wish to finish discussing this with my son in private."

 

Opening her mouth to argue, Jennifer flinched at the rage she found in his eyes... a contempt he was doing nothing to hide. It had been years since she had encountered this side of her husband. It was a side of him she had never hoped to see again. "Very well..." she agreed quickly, her voice instantly more docile. She smiled weakly at Justin, knowing she had to do everything in her power to make him not only obedient to his father's wishes but less vocal in the process. "Your father has always taken great care of us, Justin. We must trust him to continue on."

 

Justin looked at his mother in disbelief. How could she go from spitting fury to this timid creature in what was a fleeting moment? There was so much going on here, and he doubted he would be given the benefit of full disclosure. He watched as she left the room, his eyes narrowing at how her head was lowered to the floor as she walked, her entire body language tense and uneasy. "What the hell, Dad? Mom seemed frightened. Her opinions matter too. Perhaps even more since she has experience with royals... and she had no part of involving me in this savage arrangement!"

 

"Enough!" Craig's voice was filled with an unforgiving rage. "She is but a mere woman... and you are still a child. Neither of you has the right to make these decisions. I am the power in this home, and you would both do well to remember that. Now... this is how it will be..."

 

"No... stop! I refuse to be involved in this. If you don't want to tell the king, I can tell him myself. I never agreed to this arrangement; therefore, I will reject it and him. Respectfully, of course." Justin looked sharply at his father when he heard laughter erupting, it was a sound completely devoid of humor, and a sign that this talk would further deteriorate.

 

Craig moved forward and raised his hand, viciously slapping Justin across the cheek with the back of his hand, the force nearly causing Justin to lose his balance, neither of them aware of the presence that had just invaded the room. "You are a spoiled, ungrateful brat that has no sense of loyalty. Your mother's blood taints you. You had better hope he takes you..."

 

"TAYLOR!" an enraged shout sounded from the doorway. "Is this how you treat your only child? Your son? I am disgusted by you. I might take him for that reason alone!"

 

Eyes suddenly distended in fear, Craig fell to his knees, his head bowing as the king forced himself further into the library. "Your Highness, I had no idea you had arrived. Please accept my most humble apologies for witnessing such an unpleasant family dispute."

 

Family dispute? He wanted to curse and berate his father for his savagery... but held his tongue as he watched the king insinuate himself even closer to them. Justin backed away as far as he could without being noticed, holding his burning cheek, certain in the morning his light skin would be bruised.

 

"You make your apologies to me when it should be your son. Stand to your feet, Sir Taylor..." Brian sneered. "I wish our business to be conducted quickly." Jerking his head forward, he ordered, "Remove him from my presence before I split him in half! I wish to speak with Justin in private."

 

Two guards rushed forward, each of them grabbing one of Craig's arms. "You heard the king. Let's go."

 

Craig glared at his son as he exited the room, finding him full of blame for this injustice. "Whatever your decision regarding the treaty, I support you, My King. Justin is willing to follow your commands."

 

"Get out, Taylor. Distance from me is the only thing saving your life. I wouldn't advise you to provoke me further..." Brian growled, his eyes narrowing on the man being led from the room, his lip curling in disgust at the disgrace he was both as a man and a father.

 

Brian glanced over his shoulder, noticing only Emmett remained in the room with him. That was fine. Emmett was one of the most trusted men in service to him and a very close friend. He preferred him at all of his private meetings. In the aftermath, Emmett's advice was always of great significance to him. "Come here, Justin. I wish to inspect you."

 

Emmett sighed behind them, the sound stating that the king's choice of words would not be what the boy needed to hear. "Pardon the interruption, Justin, but I believe His Highness is referring to your injury."

 

"I can speak for myself, Emmett. Do I need to toss you out as well?" Brian demanded, enraged at how all of what should have been a brief meeting seemed to be going.

 

"I don't need the clarification; I know exactly what the king meant!" Justin glared at both of them, slowly lowering his hand from his cheek. "I am not an animal that requires your inspection... and I won't be treated like one."

 

"You won't be treated like one. I think someone needs a reminder of his status..." Brian moved closer, his eyes sweeping over the hostile and immensely hot blond. Instantly, he had wanted to fuck him, even from across the room. Coldly, Brian told him, "This is much like an inspection of a horse. Should I take you on, I would be riding you in a different manner."

 

"Oh, God..." Emmett moaned, holding his hands to his face. This wasn't going to end well for any of them. He could just feel it. He wanted to intervene on the young man's behalf, but knew he couldn't. Brian was already incensed at the first interruption. And what was worse, Brian wanted him. He had observed that from the moment Brian crossed the threshold. That hadn't been a surprising development. He had already heard of Justin Taylor's almost ethereal beauty, as had the king. After hearing Justin's physical description, he had known this to be inevitable. This indeed could end very badly.

 

Justin gasped. "Ride me? You are arrogant, uncouth, and a complete savage. I will never let you touch me!"

 

"Now is not the time to provoke your king..." Brian growled. Eyes and nostrils flaring equally, Brian found himself torn in what he wanted to do most to this rebellious blond. Three things immediately came to mind.

 

Bend him over his knee and spank him until his ass was shining blood red.

 

Throw him over his shoulder, leave the carriage behind, and savagely ride with him across the Arabian Desert like something written in a Victorian romance novel.

 

Or... push his hot little body to the floor, and fuck the living hell out of him, right here, in Taylor's library. His eyes heated as he looked the boy over. Option three appealed to him the most.

 

"Don't do it, Brian..." Emmett cautioned. "Think of the after. Don't be rash. It will lead to harsh consequences."

 

"What the fuck is your mouthpiece talking about?" Justin demanded. "You know what? I don't fucking care. Just get out. My answer is no. It won't change an hour from now, tomorrow, or next week. I am breaking the terms of your barbaric peace treaty. Find some brainless idiot to bend to your will."

 

Brian's rage grudgingly turned into admiration. He knew that feeling would be short-lived, once he remembered how much this boy continued to insult and disrespect him... but for the moment, he was amused. "I'm afraid these decisions are not yours to make. The treaty can only be dissolved by the king. Whereas I had debated on doing just that during my trip here, I have now changed my mind."

 

Justin advanced toward the king, uncaring of how the abruptness of his movements could be interpreted. "But why? You don't even know me. Why take me when you know I have no desire to go? I'd rather stay with my asshole of a father than to be your slave."

 

"Again, Justin, the choice is not yours to make. I have decided. You became mine before you were even born... and mine you shall remain until I decree otherwise." Brian reached up and touched the red mark on Justin's face, Arabic curses falling from his lips. "I may just kill your father, yet. No one marks what belongs to me."

 

Backing away in horror, Justin could clearly see his fate reflected within the lust in the king's eyes. It was a shame really. Under different circumstances, he would be so attracted to this domineering and possessive man... but not like this. Never like this. "Please, Your Highness, let me go. I am not capable of submission. I will only continue to anger you."

 

"It's too late, Justin. You will become accustomed to my ways." Brian placed his hand under Justin's chin, lifting it so he could stare deeply into the blond's beautiful blue eyes. "I want you, Justin. Therefore, I shall be taking you home with me today. Once there, I will determine your position. How you adapt will greatly affect that decision."

 

Turning away from Justin, not trusting himself to be near him for one moment longer, Brian met Emmett's concerned gaze, tersely commanding, "Take one of the guards and house staff with you and escort Justin to his room. He is to be packed and ready to travel within the hour. Do NOT let him out of your sight for a single moment."

 

"Of course, My King." Emmett bowed to the waist. "Shall we, Justin?" Emmett implored, lifting his hand, and gesturing toward the library door. Once they passed through it, Emmett whispered for Justin's ears alone. "Don't act rashly, Justin. He can be the most generous of men to those that please him, and I have the feeling you could be in the position to please him more than anyone else - ever.."

 

"I have no intention of pleasing him," Justin spat out. "The first chance I get, I will make my escape."

 

Emmett moaned, clutching at his chest dramatically. "I was afraid you would say that." Emmett looked up, folding his hands as if in deep meditative prayer. "Please don't let it be on my watch."

 

TBC