- Text Size +

 

 

Ben's eyes poured over the documents the king had pushed his way, reading them for the third time now. Much like the king, he found himself in disbelief. Had Lindsay been that callous... not to mention foolish? It was nothing short of cruel to have ripped an innocent child from her rightful home, denying her the love of her father, in addition to the life she had been robbed of thus far, only to keep her in Tehara, so close... and yet unattainable. It was unforgivable, not to mention being horribly twisted. In this, he doubted he would even try to stop the ruler's wrath.

 

‘Your Highness, I truly don't know what to say. I never expected Lindsay would betray you to such an extreme." Ben shook his head, totally unable to fathom it. Keeping Lindsay alive in the aftermath would be much more difficult now. Did he really care to? Not at all, he thought to himself... but for the sake of his king's relationship with Gus and his future one with Jasmine, he knew he had to intercede on her behalf. "Has it occurred to you that this could be subterfuge? That she sent Jasmine out of the country at a later time, and not as an infant?"

 

"I'm going to kill her!" the king snarled. "There is no saving her from that fate! And yes, I have considered that. I quickly disregarded the idea. That would mean collusion from someone here in Tehara, as well as out of the country. She spent her entire pregnancy here; I insisted on it. No, I believe Jasmine is here... and that spiteful bitch will suffer immensely!"

 

Ben flinched, uncertain if he'd ever heard such venom in the king's voice. "I think you called me here because a part of you wants to fight your more savage instincts. In fact, you told me so when you called. Gus would probably forgive you. He is so much like you and far too grown up for his age. I think he would understand." Ben paused, making sure the king was attentive to his words, knowing the ruler's rage needed to be somewhat settled before they stepped inside the secret room. "However, Jasmine could be another story. One, she is a young girl, and undoubtedly sensitive. Also, we don't know how much Lindsay has been in her life, not to mention, how much she could fear and resent you as a result. There are so many disasters that could result from you killing their mother."

 

The king stood to his feet, angrily striding to the door, knowing he couldn't delay this any longer. He needed to finish this. Finding his daughter was all that mattered. Jasmine needed to be here with him, and safe from anyone that could potentially harm her. "Let's go, Benjamin. I do want you with me in the hopes that your presence will settle me. I'm not sure I can resist ending her life!"

 

"I think you will. You are strong. Lindsay isn't worth what it could cost you. When the time comes, I believe you will remember that." Ben spoke the words with confidence, even though a voice in the back of his head reminded him of the king's savage temper. For some reason though, he believed his initial fears had been displaced. The monarch would get through this, and in doing so, he would have a more promising future with his children.

 

"I hope you're right, Ben. I really do..."

 

Ben swallowed the lump in his throat as he followed directly behind the king, unable to quell the nervousness within him. He knew he was right about the king's restraint. When the time came to overcome his wrath, he would do so as he did everything else - with power and strength. Ben never doubted the ruler. He always did what was best, not only for him but for his people as well. He knew that he would do the same with Lindsay. The bad moments would just be getting through the initial confrontation. Whether intentionally or not, Lindsay would push him. The king knew that as well. That was why he was here with him.

 

"Here we go..." the monarch rasped, each of them passing the guards to the king's suite, and inside, without a word being spoken to anyone. "I am sorry that you will have to witness Lindsay's inappropriate behavior. There isn't a doubt that she will lash out. She detests seclusion, just as everyone discovered when they were trapped in this room with her."

 

"It's fine, Sire. As you know, I am more than capable of engaging in battle, just the same as the rest of your army." Ben smiled reassuringly at his king. "Although I prefer peaceful resolutions, I am aware that is not always practical."

 

Brian thumped Ben approvingly on the back, nodding his head in agreement. "Well said, Benjamin. You are a true warrior and one that I am proud to have loyal to me. A man with a conscience, and yet, one that knows when action is required. A rare and vital combination."

 

Ben was silent as he walked alongside the king, quietly reflecting on the king's accolade, keeping in mind that he needed to be the voice of reason during this encounter. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that Lindsay would enrage the ruler. The question was simple - could the king maintain control, with the much-needed information about Jasmine being on the line? At this point, the only link to Gus' twin was Lindsay. Even trapped in her seclusion, Lindsay would remain hot-headed and obstinate. He could only hope that she used common sense when dealing with the king. It could be her only hope...

 


 

Lindsay paced, back and forth, in the room that was perhaps functional for most people, but much too small for her taste, inwardly raging at how Brian was disgracing her. How dare he! No matter what had happened, she had given birth to his children. He had no idea the ordeal that was. It was one that she would never suffer again!

 

She supposed she should feel some kind of remorse for taking Brian's daughter from him, although at the time, it had seemed like a smart insurance policy for her future. If nothing else, she was realistic. She knew that Brian wouldn't keep her around forever. When he had told her that the marriage would be dissolved shortly after the children were born, she knew the writing was on the wall. She wouldn't always be young and beautiful. Work wasn't something she would ever do willingly. There had to be a backup plan. The money Brian settled on her each month was extravagant... but it wasn't enough should he ever toss her aside. After all, she had a certain standard of living to maintain. To her way of thinking, simply giving birth to the king's heir and future king entitled her. Jasmine was only icing on the cake. If Brian wanted her back, he would pay dearly.

 

When the door slid open, Lindsay didn't even look up. She assumed it was Ben removing her food tray. So far, only Ben had been delivering her meals. She knew that was due to the fact that Brian liked the knowledge of this room kept hidden... it had to be a demeaning task for the king's head of security. The maintenance of this room was another question. Who was cleaning it? The space itself was immaculate and undoubtedly attended to on a regular basis. She couldn't imagine which one of Brian's servants was trusted to such a degree. Her eyes widened when she heard that unmistakable throat clearing. Brian was here. What it meant she didn't know... but she knew that she needed to keep her wits about her. Brian was looking for answers and more ammunition to use against her. All that mattered was leaving Tehara in one piece... and with enough money to continue her life of luxury.

 

Standing to her feet, she stared at the king with a blank expression on her face, quickly discerning the contempt in his eyes. Brian hadn't calmed in the past twenty-four hours. In fact, his rage seemed even sharper. Unable to resist baiting him, she arched her brow, asking him in a tone of cold mockery, "How goes your search?"

 

Ben gasped, his head quickly swiveling to stare at his king. He watched as the king's face became even more reddened, his eyes lowering to see the king clenching his fists at his sides. He was familiar with all of the king's ethics, and what he would and would not do. Striking a woman had always been on his list of forbidden acts. Watching him now, he wasn't quite so sure that policy would continue.

 

"You are a bitch!" Brian snarled. "You do realize that my children are the only reason I allow you to breathe! In addition, Benjamin is present largely to keep me calm and focused. I won't succumb to your sadistic trickery, Lindsay. I want answers and I swear I will have them!"

 

"I'm not telling you anything, Brian. At least, not until I have passage to the airport, a ticket in my hand, and enough money to last me a lifetime." Lindsay laughed as the rage continued to distort the king's face, she began to shake her head at him in disappointment. "You really didn't think I would tell you anything before I was safe and wealthier than my wildest dreams?"

 

"You are truly delusional if you believed that I would give you anything before I had my daughter's precise location." Brian stepped closer, at the moment, feeling comfortable about his restraint... the thought of Jasmine all that kept him under control. "You should know that I have realized that Jasmine is still in Tehara. In fact, she has never left. I'm not sure if that was foolish, or extremely clever on your part."

 

"There are a large number of children in this country, Brian. I'm quite sure she blends in with the crowd; especially, since she doesn't physically favor me." Lindsay smiled at Brian, uncaring at the moment of how much she was enraging the king. She watched as Ben and Brian made eye contact, a silent message seeming to be passing between them, one that she doubted could be in her best interest.

 

An idea was forming in the back of his mind, one that could greatly benefit his search if Lindsay continued to be stubborn and not make the resolution more simple. "Are you saying that Jasmine has my coloring, or that she looks like Gus?"

 

"I'm not saying that at all!" she snapped, sensing she had already said far too much. "I shouldn't have to say anything. After all, Gus and Jasmine are identical twins..."

 

Ben gasped. Why was Lindsay making this so easy? The king would have a solid place to start with this information. It could still be a difficult search, but one that held promise. What was she thinking? Perhaps she just wanted this over and done, knowing she had lost every battle with the determined ruler.

 

Identical twins? Was it possible, Brian thought to himself. He knew exactly what he needed to do, and he wouldn't need Lindsay for any of it. "I am giving you twenty-four hours to provide details of Jasmine's whereabouts. I will find her - with or without you. The easier you make my search, the more generous I will be with you. Think about what I am saying, Lindsay. You have betrayed me, stolen what you had already signed away. There is no going back!"

 

"I don't want to go back!" Lindsay hissed. "I want to leave this wretched place, and live the life I should have always had. However, I am not a fool, Brian. I know how you deal with those that oppose you. Once you have your information, I will be Tehara's next missing resident... a victim of a vengeful King!"

 

Brian swore, seeing no point in denying that was what the primitive in him desired, although recognizing that was not a viable solution. If he put the mother of his children to death, or even placed her in a position of public scrutiny and humiliation, not only could it make him repellent to his children, but despised by his people as well. He couldn't risk it. The momentary pleasure wouldn't be worth the overall cost. However, she would have a judgment! "Apparently you are a fool, Lindsay. No matter how much I would love to give you a punishment that equals your crimes, I will not traumatize my children in such a way." The king sneered. "I wouldn't expect a self-serving bitch like you to understand that..."

 

"You can call me all the names you want, but I was only looking out for my future. I saw an opportunity and I took it. I don't regret that..."

 

Ben's eyes widened as he listened to the long litany of curses spewing from the king's mouth, each of them growing louder in both volume and fervor. The king was close to his breaking point. Up until now, the monarch had been maintaining an unbelievable amount of control over his rage. He feared that it would end soon, and if it did, so many consequences could follow.

 

Forcing himself to back away from the woman that he wanted to kill with his own bare hands, Brian spat out, "You don't regret a choice that separated twins that should have always been together, potentially placing Jasmine in danger not being under my protection, not to mention all the lost time, not only for me but for Gus as well!" His cursing began anew, his footsteps now taking him to the door. "Remember my words, Lindsay. You have a choice, but only twenty-four hours to make it. In the meantime, I have another option." Brian laughed coldly. "I might not even need your assistance." The king turned to pierce her with cold and cruel eyes. "If that's the case, where will you be then?"

 

Lindsay gasped as Brian left the room, Ben quickly following behind him. Brian was bluffing. He had to be! She understood the twenty-four hours he had given her... but another option to lead to the same result? It was impossible. What could he have discovered in such a short amount of time? It was true that Jasmine was in Tehara, but she had no contact with her daughter or the family that now raised her. Brian would never believe her, and to admit that she wasn't even slightly overseeing Jasmine's care, definitely wasn't in her best interest with an enraged King. She had to thoroughly think through her options. Another mistake would be catastrophic.

 


 

Justin stared at the king, his mouth dropping open in shock. He had listened to him speak for the past fifteen minutes, the most bizarre and unexpected story coming from the agitated ruler. "I- I don't know what to say, Brian. This is unbelievable. In a way, fantastic that you have a daughter, and that Gus has a twin sister, but Lindsay? The woman is hideous!"

 

Brian stared out the window, his hands clenching and unclenching at his sides. His rage was fully renewed as he relayed the story to Justin. The more he spoke about Lindsay and what her greed had caused, the harder it was not to carry out a swift vengeance. "That she is, Justin. And unfortunately, I can't punish her how I typically would for an act of treason. I have to think of how Gus and Jasmine would feel. And despite how horrible she is, I must remember they are still children, and she is their mother."

 

"I don't envy you that position. I can't imagine how you are holding yourself together. The worry alone of not knowing who has her, and how much they know... well, it must be frightening." Justin bit his lip, wanting to say so much more, but realizing the king didn't need such obvious reminders. He could only imagine the agony he was suffering. A man of supreme strength and control going through something like this? It had to be unbearable.

 

Unwilling to fully acknowledge his fear, Brian simply nodded, before turning to face Justin, fire, and determination in his eyes. "I WILL find her. And I am hoping you can help me."

 

"Me?" Justin squawked. "I am your slave... remember? What can I possibly do?"

 

Brian walked over to the table, idly picking up a sketch pad, marveling at the image of his son on the paper. It was remarkable and a mirror image of his child. "You can do this. I want you to draw what would be a female version of my son. They are identical twins. It is my hope that your drawing will be close enough to what Jasmine looks like now. I will have her picture everywhere. Someone will recognize her and seek a reward from their king!"

 

"It is far-fetched, Brian... but I suppose it could work." Justin was about to instantly agree when another thought attacked the back of his mind. This was his chance, and probably the only one he would ever have. He didn't like the guilt he instantly felt... but he had to think of what was right for him too. Brian wanted his daughter returned to him... and he wanted his freedom. Before he could stop himself, the words were spoken. "I will help you, but at a price..."

 

Narrowing his eyes, Brian angrily spat out, "A negotiation? Really, Justin? I am in a crisis now, and you want to play games? This is my daughter's life!"

 

"I understand that, and I don't feel good about it... but I know I won't get many opportunities like this - if I ever get another." Justin took a deep breath, before boldly continuing on, "I want the contract destroyed. I was never meant to be a slave, and I think you know that too. I'm not saying that I will want to leave here. I like it here... but not under these circumstances."

 

"I see." Brian rolled his lips under, his eyes carefully surveying the beautiful blond. He wasn't ready to give him up, but did he have any other choice? A part of him actually admired Justin for essentially seizing the moment. In truth, he would be doing the same thing. However, he still wanted this man. He burned for him in ways he never had with another. He couldn't lose him. "Justin, my desire for you hasn't waned; I'm not sure it ever will. I don't want to release you."

 

"Think about it, Brian. Releasing me and establishing me as something else isn't losing me. In fact, it could be just the opposite. I would be more open to spending more time with you. And isn't that what you want?" Justin asked, uncertain of why he was pushing so hard, but certain this was the time, and what was the right thing to do. In actuality, he would agree to help Brian in his search for his daughter regardless of his decision. He was a bit surprised that Brian didn't realize that.

 

Moving closer, Brian reached out and placed his hands on each side of Justin's face. Looking deeply into his eyes, he fervently answered, "Yes, Justin. It's all I've ever wanted since I brought you here. Chasing you might be enjoyable at times, but in all reality, I don't have time for those games. I am a king. As such, my responsibilities are immense. I know you can understand that." When Justin nodded, Brian continued, "That contract is an archaic piece of paper. Before I went to your home to meet you, I was half inclined to shred it, but of course, once I saw you, I had to have you. Accepting the offering was the most expedient way possible."

 

Justin smiled for a moment. For some reason, the knowledge that Brian, the King of Tehara, the most primitive man he had ever known; perhaps the most primitive man he would ever know, on first thought had rebelled against accepting the barbaric contract, filled him with more hope than anything else had before this point. He wasn't sure why it mattered so much, but it did. "Thank you for telling me that. For some reason, that means a lot."

 

Lowering his head, Brian claimed Justin's lips in a thorough and possessive kiss. In a mere instant, his tongue slid inside and claimed Justin's mouth. Brian decided he couldn't care less about the damned contract. He knew it was something that almost stood between them, and Justin's outlook on that would never change. Even without the contract, Brian was true to himself. He didn't need a piece of paper to solidify his possessive feelings toward this man. No matter what the legalities were between them, he would always consider Justin as his. He doubted he could relent in that. Passionately, Brian moved his mouth over Justin's, claiming the territory as his - over and over again.

 

A moment later, Brian pulled back to look into Justin's glazed and receptive eyes, his voice hoarse when he spoke, "It will be as you wish. The contract will be destroyed. You will be free. I am taking a chance, but I believe you to be a man of your word." Justin stared back at the king, speechless and attentive, clearly waiting for the ruler to continue. "You can remain in the tower; at least, for now. The guards will be removed, as will the locks. You can move about the estate at your leisure."

 

"Thank you, Brian." Justin leaned forward, hugging him tightly for a long moment, for the first time since this all had started, his heart feeling much lighter, even more, hope instilled in him. Pulling back to look at the king, Justin tried to reassure him. "I will work all day on various drawings, black and white, and one with color. I want you to be successful in finding your daughter. She needs to be here with you, safe and loved as I know she will be."

 

"It's what matters most right now." Brian pulled completely away from the beautiful blond, arching a brow when he told him, "Don't expect miracles from me, Justin. I am very possessive where you are concerned. The change in your status won't affect that."

 

Justin laughed. "I wouldn't expect anything else... and to be honest, it's fucking hot."

 

"One question before I go..." Brian began, forcing himself to continue in a softer tone, and not with the authority that was more typical for him. "I wish to come to you tonight... however, only if you want that too."

 

Justin's face transformed into a beautiful, blinding smile. "Yes, I want that."

 

Brian nodded, moving in the direction of the door. "I will see to your new freedoms immediately. Please come to me as soon as you have something ready. I am extremely eager to see how you perceive Jasmine."

 

"I will, Brian, and I have a good feeling about this. You are going to find your daughter, and I think it will be very soon. I truly believe that..." Justin told the king earnestly, not the least bit doubtful about the outcome of Brian's intense search. It was meant to be.

 

"I hope you're right, Justin." Brian turned to look at Justin before he opened the door, his expression was amused and proud. "Well done here today. We both know that you would have helped me no matter what I had decided regarding the contract. Your instincts are good, and I have immense respect for that."

 

Justin frowned, the king surprising him again. "If you knew that, why did you agree?"

 

"I have decided that I was wrong about something. I kept saying you would adapt given enough time. I know that was poor judgment on my part. I don't want your life to be filled with misery here. I want you to desire our time together as much as I do. I think your freedom will make that happen." Brian rolled his lips under, studying Justin carefully, trying to keep his face a blank mask as he always did, but sensing he failed to do that with this incredibly intuitive man. "I am hoping this will feel like home to you in time."

 

"This changes so much, Brian. It already feels like home. I don't want to go anywhere." Not watching as the king left the room, Justin returned to the table, sorting through his art supplies, lining up everything he needed to perform his task. This would be the project of his lifetime, one that he was determined would go far in resolving the king's personal torment. He couldn't wait to see father and daughter reunited. That would truly be a special day.

 

TBC

 

Chapter End Notes:

A/N: As most of you probably know, identical twins are predominantly of the same sex, in fact, it is extremely rare for it to be otherwise. There are rare occurrences, which is explained in this article snippet below. (I knew I would be questioned.) I decided to go with the extreme since it fit in with my story here.

Can identical twins be male and female?

Twins of different genders are universally accepted as a sound basis for a clinical determination that boy and girl twins are not identical. However, in very rare cases, boy and girl twins can stem from the same egg, like identical twins do. Occasionally an egg contains three sex chromosomes XXY. This is opposed to the usual XX for a girl or XY for a boy. If this XXY egg splits it can lose a Y in the process, leaving one embryo with a girls XX combination and her twin as an XY boy. It's extremely unlikely that you would experience it, as only a handful of cases are known. These twins would not be sharing the same DNA, as identical twins do.