- Text Size +

 

Justin followed Jasmine into the tower room, maintaining a close, and yet unobtrusive distance. He didn't want to crowd the young girl. Despite how strong she appeared to be on the surface, he still sensed that she was deeply troubled, and perhaps a little afraid. Anything else would be unlikely, because a girl of eight, summoned to the king's home, whether or not she had been included in the summons would be scary. Her very presence here had to be daunting. "Have a seat, Jasmine." When she looked at him apprehensively, Justin amended his words, "I mean... if you'd like."

 

"Why am I here?" she demanded as she had downstairs in the foyer, once again, her hands planted firmly on her small hips, and her eyes shooting fireballs at the man that had escorted her away. Jasmine compressed her lips, determined to be strong and assertive. For as long as she could remember, she had the feeling of not fitting in with everyone else; in her mind, whether it made sense or not, she had to remain strong... much stronger than her years. In this new and hostile environment, she couldn't afford to be weak.

 

Unable to help himself, Justin laughed. He was still completely amazed at how much Jasmine resembled her father, the king. It wasn't just in her aggressive attitude, although that did factor in, it was even in her more complex expressions. He couldn't read her, just like he couldn't read the austere king most of the time. When he thought he glimpsed a moment of fear, it was quickly replaced with strength and determination. In his estimation, she was even more like her father than Gus appeared to be. He couldn't wait to see the twins interact, and for a family to be forged. It would probably take time, but it would definitely be a sight to see. "I'm sorry, Jasmine. I wasn't laughing at you. You simply remind me of someone. I got lost for a moment."

 

Answering with a slight shrug, Jasmine turned her back on him and walked over to the window, idly looking out into the courtyard. "It's no big deal. I'm used to being mocked. My mouthy attitude causes me a lot of problems."

 

Mocked? Justin's eyes widened. The king wouldn't want to hear of his little girl being treated poorly in any way. He couldn't imagine his reaction to that. "Let me assure you, Jasmine, you will not be mocked here. The king will not condone disrespect to any guest in his home." Justin almost gasped when he turned to look at the drawings still scattered on his table. Quickly, he placed them in the folder with his former slave contract, not wanting Jasmine to see them and make any possible connections. From what he had observed so far, and of no real surprise to him, Jasmine seemed to be a smart little girl. He would need to choose his words carefully.

 

"The king..." she grumbled. "He's the reason we're here. Why were we taken from our home? What did my mother do?" she asked, not knowing how much she had revealed with her questions, her eyes only imploring Justin to give her some answers.

 

"So, uhhh, the lady that was brought to see the king is actually your mother?" Justin asked, trying to appear detached, hoping he wouldn't reveal how interested he was in her answer. "I mean, you don't look anything like her, so I just assumed you were a distant relative."

 

Jasmine narrowed her eyes when she looked at Justin, accusation in her eyes. "You are looking for answers. Why? What does the king want to know? Let me talk to him, and I'll tell him myself!"

 

"Relax..." Justin held up his hands, trying to calm the agitated girl, uncertain of how to proceed with her, only knowing that he was failing so far. "I just figured we could get to know each other while you wait. You don't have to tell me anything you don't want me to know." Justin knew he had to change his approach, if not, he would have a defensive female miniature of Brian facing him. "Are you hungry? I have some milk in the refrigerator... and some freshly baked chocolate chip cookies the cook just brought me this morning."

 

Silently, Jasmine watched as Justin walked into the small kitchen, her eyes wide when he produced two glasses and a pitcher filled with milk. He carried them to the table, before going back to get a covered container, with what she expected to be cookies inside. She slowly approached the table, telling herself that she moved closer out of curiosity, and not out of acceptance of what this man had to offer. Sitting at the table, Jasmine guardedly accepted. "I suppose I could have one."

 

"Excellent," Justin answered, focusing his attention on pouring them each a glass of milk, and setting up a couple of plates and napkins for them to use. In an almost conspiratorial voice, Justin told her, "This gives me an excuse to have a cookie too." He grinned at the more relaxed child. "Perhaps a couple of them..."

 

Jasmine laughed, shaking her head in amusement, clearly uncertain of what to make of this stranger. "Thank you. I guess I am a little hungry."

 

Frowning, unsure if he liked her choice of words, Justin asked, "Shall I call down and have the cook make you something more filling? The king has some wonderful chefs. They can fix just about anything." Surely, she wasn't suffering from malnutrition, and merely hungry in a more natural way? What if she had been mistreated? Justin shuddered at the thought. The king would kill everyone that had ever come in contact with his child.

 

"Uhhh no, this is fine." She took a couple of large bites of the cookie, forcing herself to take her time, for some reason not wanting to reveal just how hungry she was. "I'm sure the king will finish his business with my mother soon. I will eat later."

 

Even though Jasmine gave away very little in the words she spoke, Justin couldn't help but feel trepidation about what could be discovered if the child decided to open up. "It's difficult to say. The king can often be long-winded over the strangest of subjects."

 

Nodding, Jasmine answered with a slight smile, "Don't all grownups do that?"

 

"At times they do." Justin smiled, slowly pushing the container of cookies in Jasmine's direction. "Help yourself to as many as you like. I can always get more."

 

Reaching into the container, Jasmine took two more cookies, quietly laying them on her plate. "Thank you, Justin. They are very good. I've never tasted anything like them."

 

"The king has several cooks, but the baker told me that these cookies came from a recipe handed down through generations. I will let him know he has your seal of approval." Justin smiled, pleased that Jasmine was enjoying one part of her arrival here while wondering how angry the child would become when she found out she was here to stay. Studying her closely, Justin observed, "You are very well-spoken for a child of eight." His eyes widened when Jasmine's hand paused in raising the cookie to her mouth, her eyes flashing a look of suspicion.

 

"How do you know how old I am?" she demanded to know, at once, back on the offensive.

 

Justin inwardly swore to himself. He wasn't good with the game of cat-and-mouse, in particular, when he needed to keep vital information to himself. "Just a guess. The king's son seems close to your age." Looking at the suspicion in the child's eyes, Justin added, "I am an artist, that kind of detail is simple for me."

 

"Uhhh, okay." Almost instantly, a glimmer of excitement began to shine in the girl's eyes. "Can I see your art?"

 

Surprise on his face, Justin told her, "Sure you can. I'll get you some of my most recent sketches, many of them of the courtyard, the king, and some of his son."

 

Silently, she watched as he reached for a sketch pad, moments later, taking it from his hand. Her hand slowly leafed through the pages, her eyes widening at the sketches, her hand freezing when she looked at a profile sketch of the king in all of his royal attire. "This is the king. I've seen photos of him, and on TV."

 

Justin smiled, absorbing Jasmine's fascination with Brian's image. It almost melted his heart seeing the spark in the child's eyes, knowing what he did, but the girl was oblivious to the fact that she was transfixed by her father's image. "He may seem imposing, and I'm sure in anything you've seen of him on television, he certainly was, but he is a fair king, despite how he is thought of publicly." Justin chuckled, realizing that had been his point of view until recently. "I haven't known that side of the king for very long. He is a good man, Jasmine."

 

Once more, the child shrugged in response, returning her eyes to the sketch, and moving on to the next. Justin silently observed her, while he did, he couldn't help wondering what was going on with Brian and his interrogation of the nurse. The only thing that he did know for sure was that Jasmine wouldn't be leaving with that woman when the meeting was over. In fact, he couldn't think of a scenario that would allow the woman to leave here of her own accord. Some kind of punishment would be rendered. It was just a matter of how severe that would be.

 


 

"I believe you know why you are here..." the king spat out, his eyes only lifting from the quivering woman to briefly glance at Ben guarding the door against anyone entering. This woman wasn't going anywhere.

 

Nodding, she answered in a low, and suddenly frightened voice, "I- I have a good idea, Your Highness."

 

The king exchanged a surprised look with his security advisor, neither one of them expecting the woman to be so instantly forthcoming. "I will try to remember that you are cooperating now. Depending on what is revealed in this conference, that may or may not help you."

 

"I understand..." she answered, her head downcast, afraid of looking into the king's angry and vengeful eyes again.

 

"Look at me!" he demanded, uncertain if he could restrain his anger if she continued in this demure role that he sensed was not who this woman truly was. Brian picked up a pencil from his desk, harshly rolling it between his fingers. "The child that came with you today, is she my daughter?"

 

Nodding jerkily, the woman acknowledged, "Yes, Y-Your Majesty. Jasmine is your child."

 

The king began to swear, every word in Arabic. He wanted the woman to know how enraged he truly was. He couldn't think of a single reason why he shouldn't kill this woman with his bare hands. It wasn't a legal process, but he was the King of Tehara. He could do whatever he wanted! "I want to kill you with my bare hands. I have been deprived of eight years of my child's life. She is a stranger to me and to her twin brother - your future king. Do you understand what you've done!?"

 

Beginning to sob, the woman nodded. "Y-yes, I u-understand, Your Highness. I have returned Jasmine to you. I am begging for your forgiveness."

 

Abruptly, the king stood to his feet, kicking his chair backward until it smashed into the wall. He kept his eyes on the ridiculous woman, totally oblivious to Ben watching on nervously, waiting for the savagery to commence. "Forgiveness? You have stolen my child at birth and you dare to ask me for that? I am close to forgoing all of my answers, and ordering your immediate execution!"

 

"P-please, Your Majesty... allow me to explain..." she stammered, her eyes filled with tears, her hands shaking in her lap.

 

"Explain? What can you possibly say that will vindicate your part in this criminal and immoral deception?" Brian demanded to know. Moving around to the front of his desk, he watched as the woman huddled even closer to the chair, knowing she was expecting him to attack at any moment. She could be correct in that assumption. "Fine. Let's start with ‘why' you took my daughter."

 

Swallowing deeply, she began to explain. "Why, is simple. The doctor ordered me to do so. After the birth of your children, I was informed that Jasmine was unwanted and that a placement needed to be found for her."

 

"Unwanted?!" the king exploded, his eyes briefly moving to Ben when he heard him gasp in surprise. Meeting Ben's concerned look, he realized it wasn't only a gasp of surprise, but also, fear of what he would do next.

 

"Uhhh yes, Your Highness. The doctor told me that you had emphatically stated that only boy heirs would be acceptable. This was a standard set by your father before you." She blinked, her hand moving to wipe away the falling tears, her voice lowering when she added, "I mean no disrespect, My King, but your father was cruel and perceived as heartless, and many of your people still abide by his laws, even if you have changed many of them."

 

"All right. I'll give you that. My father was an unfeeling monster, and those that lived under his reign still live in fear. However, I am NOT my father. By your admittance, you know that I have abolished many of his laws. Both of my children are wanted, no matter what sex they are. That was true then, now, and always." Brian shook his head, unable to believe this was all there was to the story. "Let's move on. I know the doctor fled the country. I am assuming he took the money and left you with my child?"

 

Nodding, she quickly answered, "That is correct, Your Highness. He deposits an allowance in my bank account monthly for the child's needs, basic food, and clothing, nothing extra. I was told to accept that or face the consequences of your judgment... since you couldn't reach him. The doctor said once Jasmine was an adult, then, I would receive my payment."

 

Brian looked up to see Ben rolling his eyes. He was too enraged to do the same. Who the fuck would ever agree to such a one-sided arrangement? Obviously, the ‘good' doctor had been stringing this woman along, giving her a pittance to care for his child... that, and nothing more. Unable to reach him? "The doctor is an idiot, but what should I expect from a doctor that Lindsay chose? I want to know about Lindsay's involvement." Brian's lips pressed together, his attention completely on the woman, not a doubt in his mind that he was about to hear something that would seal his ex-wife's fate.

 

"Well, it was from your wife that we discovered a girl child was unwanted. Your wife paid the doctor handsomely to take the child away, leaving you with only your son. I have raised Jasmine with the money that has been sent to me, in addition, I have schooled her at home. I didn't have her out in the open in case her identity was ever discovered."

 

His eyes narrowed, as he looked at her closely, silent as he moved to sit on the edge of his desk. "If that is true, that could be what saves your life." Standing to his feet, he began to pace around his desk, tapping his cheek thoughtfully, ready to dispense his judgment. "I have heard enough for now; however, I may have more questions later."

 

Ben straightened his stance, knowing he would be required to remove the woman soon - one way or another. After watching his king closely, he couldn't quite determine which way the ruler would go but he was certain he would find out very soon.

 

"For now, your life will be spared. I will investigate your claims of privately educating my daughter, keeping her protected from exposure to my enemies. You will be placed in confinement until I have the doctor in custody. Once that happens, and everything you have said here today checks out, you will be exiled from Tehara." When the woman's eyes widened, and tears began again, he brusquely stated, "Do not question my judgment or your situation will become more dire! You have made some very bad choices, but I don't believe you are the one that is deserving of my full wrath. I am being generous with you. Don't make me regret my rare display of generosity."

 

"I-I understand, Y-Your Highness. It is more than I deserve..." she looked up, tears still shimmering in her eyes. "Am I permitted to say goodbye to Jasmine?"

 

The king twisted his lips, a sneer quickly developing. "No!" he snarled. "You should have never had my daughter with you. Although, I understand you may be attached to her, and also, her to you, that connection is now severed. I do not want to prolong her anguish."

 

Looking at Ben, he nodded his head. "Take her away. She is to be confined, without any visitors. I cannot allow her to reach out to this doctor until he is brought before me." The king watched as Ben gently urged her to her feet, his eyes hard upon them as they walked through the door. Once more, he sat down on the edge of his desk, his thoughts jumbled and confused.

 

Lindsay. He needed to deal with her... and he would, very soon. However, first, he needed to meet and introduce himself to his daughter. Anxiety churned in his stomach. He had never been nervous in his life, not in battle, or anything that his wretched father had ever thrown his way. Coming face-to-face with his child instilled fear in him. How would his daughter respond? Breathing in deeply, Brian left his office, his footsteps taking him in the direction of the tower. Soon enough, he would find out.

 

TBC