- Text Size +

 

Brian paused in his footsteps to the tower room, doing something he never did - something that would have been unthinkable to him before Lindsay had instilled chaos into his life. He questioned his decision regarding his placement of the nurse. He shook his head in disbelief. Not only was he questioning his decision regarding her immediate fate, but he was still referring to her as ‘the nurse.' He had read the report on her. But did he remember her name now? Of course, he didn't. People that were insignificant to him were always easily forgotten. This nurse was falling into the same category.

 

In the back of his mind, he kept asking himself the same question. What would Jasmine - his daughter - think of him imprisoning the only parental influence she had ever known? He had no way of knowing the closeness of their relationship but had to believe that some kind of fondness had developed; in particular, from Jasmine to the woman that had cared for her during these past eight years. After all, she was still just a child. He couldn't start his future with his daughter off as she seeing him as an unfeeling monster. There was only one thing he could do.

 

Pulling his phone from his pocket, he quickly connected to Ben, his words terse, yet crystal clear. "Benjamin, don't take her to the prison. I need to think this through a bit more." Immediately, he heard a slight sigh whooshing through his security advisor's lips. For a moment, his lips twisted. He could actually visualize Ben smiling at his change of heart. Ben could be forceful and strong, able to kill when the need called for the action... but underneath, in so many ways, he was kind and soft-hearted. Brian didn't doubt this was one of those times, particularly since Jasmine could be traumatically affected if the wrong decision was made. "Return her to my office, I may need to speak with her after I have met with Jasmine. Make her comfortable, and stay with her until I return. At that time, I will make a final decision."

 

Brian didn't wait for Ben's response. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that his orders would be carried out. He doubted the woman would be foolish enough to attempt an escape while on the king's grounds, with guardsmen and house staff in every corner; however, he wasn't leaving anything to chance. Locating the doctor that had worked hand-in-hand with Lindsay was of high priority. He would answer for his crimes, and he would do so with his life. Lindsay's fate would be a bit more intricate...

 

On his way to the tower, he spotted Emmett in the distance, his hand lifting to summon him forward. "Emmett, I have a task for you... one of high importance."

 

Rushing forward, easily discerning from the king's voice that this was of urgency to the ruler, Emmett asked, "Of course. What is it?"

 

Brian frowned at Emmett's easy compliance. Typically, his good friend and employee liked to verbally fence with him, agitating him to a degree before agreeing to his wishes. "I need a suite of rooms prepared for immediate use. I will explain in detail later, but it is for a young child... a girl. I realize the decor can't be prepared on demand, but do what you can." The king cast imploring eyes on Emmett, in a look displaying how important this task was to him. "This is very important to me, Emmett."

 

Eyes widening, so many questions on the tip of his tongue, but easily seeing that Brian was pressed for time, Emmett inclined his head, before he answered, "I'll see to it, Brian. Should the child be in a wing by herself, or close to one of the others?"

 

"I want the suite next to Gus' remodeled for her, but for now, I just want her in a suite that she will be comfortable in." Brian shook his head at the open-mouth stare he received. "Jasmine is eight years old. Soon, I will have the two of you meet, and you can discover what she might like. No expense is to be spared."

 

Clapping his hands in glee, Emmett joyously announced, "A redecorating project! I am excited beyond belief. You know I will want details later, but for now, I am outrageously happy!"

 

Drolly, Brian replied, "I knew you would be. I will speak with you later." Brian watched as Emmett quickly moved away, shaking his head as he heard him verbally making his plans, arguing with himself as he went. Emmett could be such an irritation at times, but he was unique and through it all, always made him smile. Taking a deep breath, Brian began to climb the stairs. The wait was almost over. He not only had to meet his daughter for the first time, but he had to confide in her about her true identity. He couldn't risk her finding out in another way, and Gus needed to be told soon as well. Jasmine would be first. She had been deceived her entire life, just the same as he had been. That all ended now.

 

Lightly, he knocked on the door, deciding an abrupt entrance would probably scare Jasmine. That was the last thing he wanted to do. He hoped in this case, Justin would respond differently, and actually physically open the door. A shout from across the room to grant entrance wasn't how he wanted to appear, nor did he want such lax security measures taken in regard to his daughter. When Justin didn't immediately speak, he realized he didn't have to worry about that. Moments later, the door opened, with Justin looking at him with a beaming smile on his face. It actually resembled a look of relief. That wasn't surprising in the least. "Justin..." Brian murmured, his brow arching a bit speculatively. "Is everything going well?"

 

Justin debated on teasing the other man until he noticed the tense lines around the king's mouth. This was not the man he recognized, the one that exuded control and confidence. This was the man that had melted his heart earlier, the man that loved his children, and only wanted what was best for them. A man that every father should emulate themselves to be. "Yeah, everything is fine, Your Highness." Justin frowned at how easy it was becoming to refer to the king as that in the presence of witnesses. Not very long ago, doing that under any circumstances would have been abhorrent to him. "I expect you want me to go explore the estate now."

 

Shaking his head, Brian asked him, "Would you introduce us first? Then, we can see how to proceed further." Brian made his request short. He didn't trust himself to speak at any great length. This was a bizarre moment out of time. The King of Tehara was actually nervous. It was totally unthinkable; and yet, he was relishing every moment of the experience.

 

Justin proceeded Brian into the tower room, barely noticing Brian closing the door behind them. He cleared his throat, watching as the child looked at them with wide and accusing eyes, her eyes totally focused on the newcomer, not a doubt present that she knew exactly who he was.

 

"Am I supposed to bow, kneel... or whatever you people do?" Jasmine asked, standing to her feet, hands firmly placed on her hips. "I won't do it!"

 

Gasping in response, Justin looked at Brian, nearly jumping out of his skin when Brian began to shake in boisterous laughter. "Uhhh sorry. I didn't get a chance to tell you how outspoken she is for such a young girl."

 

Smiling, Brian fully took in the image of the girl that was undeniably his daughter. She was absolutely perfect. On sight, she bore a striking resemblance to Gus, just a few deviations here and there, her hair color in particular. His daughter was stunning. He could only imagine the beauty she would grow into. "She's fine, Justin. And no, Jasmine. You don't need to bow or kneel." He narrowed his eyes at her sternly for a brief moment, doubtful he could effectively discipline her if he needed to do so; at least, not right now. "I do expect respect. I will see that you are educated in decorum, among other things."

 

"Educate? I won't be here. I want to go home. Where is my mother?" she demanded, not backing down for a moment.

 

"I have much to tell you, and some of it probably won't be easy for you to hear. I haven't finished my business with your mother, but she is comfortable as she waits for me." Brian rolled his lips under, watching his child closely, knowing this last part will escalate her anger again. "This is your home now. You won't be leaving."

 

Justin anxiously looked back and forth between them, anticipating the explosion that would undoubtedly come down upon them soon. "Your Highness, should I go?"

 

Instantly, Jasmine rushed forward, urgently clasping her small hand around Justin's arm. "No! Please don't leave!"

 

Brian's gaze sharply turned to Justin. How had they connected in such a short amount of time? Jasmine seemed panicked by the mere idea of being alone with him. He supposed he should expect that. After all, he was the king, and certainly not the typical person she met on a daily basis. Jasmine appeared to have such a strong personality, and an uncommon strength for a girl of such a young age, but he wondered how much was superficial, and what was really beneath the surface. In time he would find out... but for now, he had to handle her with extreme care. "Justin can stay."

 

"Thank you," she whispered, with her eyes firmly on the king, she remained close to Justin's side. Although there was no explanation for her reaction, she trusted Justin. Smiling tremulously at the king, she openly observed, "You are much larger than you appear on television."

 

Laughing, he responded, "I'm not sure if that's good or bad." He motioned toward the table, smiling when he noticed the cookies, empty glasses, and plates. "I see that Justin gave you a snack."

 

"Justin has been very nice." Jasmine frowned as she looked up at the man that towered over her, confusion clearly showing on her face, uncertain of what she should be asking him.

 

Clearing his throat, Brian once more gestured toward the table. "Let's sit down. There are things we need to discuss."

 

Unmoving, Justin waited for Jasmine to move to the table, sensing that she wanted him close. It was strange how she was suddenly clinging to him for support. She had been antagonistic toward him at first, but now, he was obviously safer than the commanding king. He knew that would change in time. This little girl was destined for great things. The day that she would be spoiled and loved would quickly arrive. He wasn't so sure he wouldn't engage in that himself. Gently, he tried to nudge her forward. "Jasmine, perhaps we should go sit down."

 

She turned to stare accusingly at Justin, her bottom lip beginning to tremble. "You know what the king wants. Why didn't you tell me?"

 

Justin looked away, unable to bear the hurt that now shadowed the beautiful girl's eyes. "It wasn't my story to tell."

 

"Enough!" Brian snapped, silently cursing at himself when his daughter jumped in response. This was so difficult, and he knew of two people that would pay for every moment of torture he endured. More important than that, they would suffer for the pain that had been and would be inflicted on his innocent child. Nothing was more important than that. "Jasmine, I realize that Justin is a source of comfort for you, but I believe we should talk alone. You will understand when we are finished."

 

Nodding, Justin moved away, certain this was best as well. As long as he was present, Jasmine could possibly turn to him. Her attention needed to be fully focused on Brian. If the young girl opened herself up to every possibility and would see the love that Brian had for his children, he was certain her outlook would change. He smiled reassuringly at the girl that suddenly became silent, sure that it was partly anger that he had withheld something from her and fear of being alone with the king. "You will be just fine, Jasmine. The king only wants the best for you."

 

Rolling her eyes, Jasmine spat out, "Easy for you to say. You work for him."

 

Justin snorted. "Actually, I don't." When he heard a not-so-silent grunt from the anxious ruler, Justin graciously told her, "It was nice meeting you, Jasmine. I'm sure we'll see each other again."

 

Aware that the young girl wasn't going to respond, Justin addressed the king. "Is there anything else I can do?"

 

The king nodded. "Yes. Find Gus and stay with him until I finish here. I don't want him making any premature discoveries."

 

"My pleasure." Justin smiled. Spending time with Gus wasn't any sort of hardship. He had been delighted with the future king at their first meeting and had been looking forward to getting to know him better. This would be an excellent opportunity to do that and to help Brian during these difficult meetings with his children.

 

Lowering his voice, Brian gently told his daughter, "Have a seat, Jasmine. I just want to see Justin out."

 

Surprised when she nodded her head in response, Brian followed Justin to the door, shaking his head at how versatile his daughter seemed to be. She could spit fire in one breath, and then, be docile and reasonable. She was a paradox, and something he was certain would be a challenge in the days ahead, but he couldn't wait to experience every moment.

 

Once Justin was over the threshold, Brian told him, "Thank you for everything you've done here, Justin. I know it wasn't easy keeping what you know to yourself, making her comfortable until I could be here. There are no words for how much it means to me."

 

"I don't need more words, Brian. You have more than expressed your gratitude. Now, I just want to see everything come together for all of you. It's long overdue and you deserve it."

 

Briefly, Brian leaned forward, kissing Justin softly on the lips, a kiss so sweet and tender, that it was as gentle as a whisper. After a too-short moment, Brian pulled back, giving Justin his most piercing stare. "Don't think this has made me all soft. Once I finish settling everything with Jasmine and Gus, and deal with a few other tasks, I want to spend the night with you." Once more, Brian brushed his lips over Justin's, this time lingering much longer. "At that time, I will show you once again just how hard I can be..."

 

Justin gasped, thankful that the door was far away from where Jasmine was sitting. He knew she couldn't hear them, but remembered to keep his voice just as low. "I'll look forward to it, Your Highness... and I think you'll find me to be the very same."

 

Shaking his head, knowing this wasn't the time to engage in verbal foreplay, Brian said a final goodbye, closing the door behind him. Rolling his neck and shoulders, he advanced to the table, immediately tensing when he viewed tears sliding down his daughter's cheeks. Uncharacteristically, Brian spoke in a hushed tone, his voice slightly cracking, when he almost pleaded, "Sweetheart, don't cry. There's absolutely nothing for you to cry about."

 

Wiping her tears away, Jasmine shakily whispered, "I don't cry. I never cry! B-but how often is a child called before the king?"

 

"Don't be alarmed." Brian sat down across from her at the table, unsure of how to say what he needed to say, but feeling that he couldn't delay any longer. The uncertainty had Jasmine in a panic, and that wasn't something he wanted to prolong. "This is going to be shocking and perhaps unbelievable, but it is the absolute truth."

 

"What is it?" she asked, unable to think of any news the king would have that would be so important to her and her life.

 

"When my son was born, another child was as well. Twins. I was led to believe my other child, my daughter, didn't survive the birth. I have only recently discovered that isn't the case." Brian paused, making certain he had the young girl's full attention. By her wide-eyed stare, he assumed that he did. "That child is you, Jasmine. You are my daughter... the Princess of Tehara."

 

TBC