- Text Size +

 

Justin stood next to Michael at the high white fence, watching as Gus skillfully worked his horse, a slight laugh escaping his throat. "Wow. He's amazing. I've never seen someone so young move with such skill and grace. It's like he knows what the horse is thinking and adjusts his own movements to it."

 

"That he does..." Michael agreed. "Brian taught him how to handle his horse from a young age. He just keeps improving."

 

Turning his head to look at Michael, he observed the genuine fondness on the other man's face. "You care a lot about him. I saw that when we were locked in the hidden room, but I see it even more now."

 

"Yeah, he's great. I know I'll never have kids of my own, so it's nice watching Gus grow up, and having a small part in the process." Michael smiled at Justin, turning back to look at Gus, waving when the young boy glanced in their direction.

 

"That's a shame. I think you and Ben would make wonderful parents."

 

Michael laughed. "I'd like to think so too, but we get a lot of time with Gus since we all live under the same roof. I'm happy with that." About to say more, Michael paused when he heard the jeep approaching from a distance, without a doubt in his mind that Brian was inside. "That's odd. The king usually comes to the stable on foot. He likes to walk the grounds every day. Obviously, he's in a hurry."

 

Justin glanced back, quickly observing that the jeep was in a hurry, and close to being next to the fence. "It appears so." He wasn't about to divulge anything he knew to Michael. So far, everything had remained quiet, and this was Brian's story to tell. He was certain the news of Jasmine would be revealed to everyone soon enough.

 

"Hopefully, nothing is wrong." Michael turned his head to watch the king's quick stride, surprised to see that he wasn't wearing riding clothes. Obviously, he hadn't come out here to ride with his son, but to attend to business, or whatever was troubling him. "There has been enough trouble in the last few weeks to last a lifetime..."

 

Biting his lip, Justin softly murmured, "I am guilty of some of that. I'm sorry about that."

 

"Don't be ridiculous. From what I've heard, you are a victim all the way around. If anyone is to blame, it's that viper of a woman that doesn't deserve to be either a mother... or a queen." Michael winced when he heard a low growl ripping from the king's throat. "Sorry, Your Highness. Perhaps one day I'll learn to hold my tongue. Ben cautions me on that repeatedly."

 

Brian grunted, moving to stand next to Michael and Justin at the fence, his eyes proudly admiring his son, as he answered, "Don't bother. She's a bitch, and thankfully I can say she's not the queen. In fact, she hasn't been for years."

 

Justin gasped, his head whipping around to meet the king's suddenly cold eyes. "Not married? That's not even publicly known... is it?" A soft whistle escaped Justin's throat when Brian shook his head in response. "Well, I guess that simplifies some things."

 

Michael burst into laughter. "I guess it's good that I wasn't aware of that when we were locked in that room. I doubt I could have kept quiet."

 

Chuckling, Justin reminded, "If that was quiet, I'd hate to see what cutting loose would be like..."

 

"I like you, Justin." Michael grinned from ear to ear. "I hope you stick around for a long time."

 

Justin met Brian's amused eyes, even though silence prevailed in the king, Justin more than interpreted his look. Brian hoped the same thing, and to be honest, he felt the same. "I don't think I'll be leaving anytime soon."

 

Brian nodded his head in agreement, more than pleased with Justin's answer. Releasing Justin from the contract had been a calculated risk. He had known it had been necessary in order for them to move forward, but he had feared what the action could cost him. Thankfully, Justin now wanted to be here just as much as he wanted him to be. Raising his hand, he motioned Gus over, deciding he had waited long enough to give Gus the extraordinary news. After that, he would deal with the venomous snake locked in his secret room. He couldn't wait for that. Unable to resist the impulse, Brian leaned over and kissed Justin briefly on the lips, wanting so much more, but accepting that the timing wasn't right at the moment.

 

A moment later, they all noticed as Gus began his approach, Justin turning to ask, "Is there anything else I can do?"

 

Nodding, Brian asked him, "Could you look in on Jasmine? She's still in the tower room." When Michael looked at him in confusion, Brian added, "I think I've found the project for you, Michael... if you're still looking for more to do."

 

"Yes... what is it?" Michael frowned thoughtfully. "Uhhh, but who is Jasmine?"

 

"My daughter..." Brian answered, his eyes remaining on Gus as he spoke. Without turning his head, he told him, "A despicable crime was committed. When Jasmine and Gus were born, I was led to believe that only one twin survived. I have found my daughter, and she is home now."

 

Michael's mouth fell open. "Did you say a daughter? Gus' twin? How the hell does something like that happen!?"

 

"A lying and manipulative bitch!" Brian answered, He turned to look at Michael, his eyes beseeching when he asked, "Will you go with Justin and meet her? You have always been so good with Gus, that maybe the same will be true with Jasmine. Since you are not of my blood or one of my soldiers, perhaps she will be more comfortable with you."

 

"Of course, Brian. I'd love to try." Michael scowled as he thought about the news and everything it implied. "I assume that bitch played a large part in this?" When Brian nodded, Michael grunted in response. "I can't believe Ben kept this to himself."

 

Brian nodded, a part of him surprised as well. "I am too, but in this case, it was a matter of security. I didn't want it getting back to Gus before I could tell him myself." As always, he had great admiration for Ben's loyalty and total commitment. He was truly fortunate to have him. When Gus was almost up to them, Brian turned to Justin, softly telling him, "Please tell Jasmine that I will check in with her when I finish here and thank you for all that you have been doing to help."

 

Reaching for Brian's hand, Justin gave it a quick squeeze, before answering, "It's my pleasure."

 

Smiling at each of them, Brian watched as they walked away, his eyes and face filled with warmth as Gus slid from his horse, and approached his father at the fence. Releasing the latch that secured the gate, Brian stepped inside, engulfing his son in a fierce embrace, for some reason feeling compelled to connect with him. When Gus' surprised arms reached out and hugged him tightly, Brian's rage toward Lindsay grew even fiercer. He would speak with his son... and then, it was time for a visit with his ex-wife. She would find out today exactly what her deception had cost her. Her punishment would be of a long duration. He couldn't wait to see the look on her face.

 


 

"Father? Could you repeat that? I think the sun has affected my hearing..."

 

Brian laughed, shaking his head at how proper and adult Gus continued to sound, even with the bombshell he had just dropped on him. His son really needed to have more fun and enjoy his childhood. In the back of his mind, he wondered if having a sister could help with that. Remembering how serious Jasmine was as well, he doubted that would be the case. "You heard me correctly, son. A criminal and cruel act was perpetrated against me. Your twin sister didn't die in childbirth, but instead, was taken from me."

 

Gus' eyes filled with tears. "You have to find her, Father! Not only find her, but bring these people to justice!"

 

"Relax, Gus. I have found her, in fact, she is in the palace as we speak." The king's eyes glittered dangerously for a brief moment. "And you know me, my son. There will be dire consequences for those that have betrayed me."

 

Gus bit his lip nervously, showing a rare sign of vulnerability. "This is Mother's doing... isn't it?"

 

"I won't lie to you, Gus. I never have, and I certainly won't start now. Yes, she is behind this deception, although she had some help. I can never forgive her for this deceit, nor can I allow her to escape punishment." Brian looked into his son's saddened, yet accepting eyes, hopeful that Gus won't try to dissuade him from any course of action against his mother. "I am hoping you are grown up enough to understand my position."

 

"Yes, I do." A momentary crack was heard in the boy's voice. "She hasn't ever been a mother to me. Has she had any contact with my sister?"

 

"She says she hasn't, and Jasmine has no knowledge of her existence... so, it appears not."

 

Gus smiled briefly. "Jasmine. It's a very pretty name."

 

"She is a beautiful girl, and she has my temper." Brian laughed, a sense of relief overcoming him that Gus seemed to be handling the news so well. "Life will not only change for all of us, but it should be more interesting as well."

 

"When can I meet her?" Gus asked excitedly, unable to contain his enthusiasm about this new and surprising development in his life.

 

"I left that for Jasmine to decide. She has left everything she's ever known and been pulled into our chaotic world; I don't want to overwhelm her. For now though, rooms are being prepared for her, with her ultimate rooms being the empty suites closest to yours." Brian smiled when he noticed the disappointment in Gus' eyes. "I don't think you'll have to wait for long. She's a very curious and intelligent girl. I think she will seek you out very soon."

 

Gus nodded, looking back at his horse that was grazing near the fence. "I guess I'll finish my ride, and take my horse back. I want to be in the house when Jasmine is ready to meet me. Maybe I could give her a tour of the grounds, and the stables..."

 

"That's an excellent idea, Gus. I have some business to attend to, and then, I will check on Jasmine. Maybe she will be ready to meet her brother." Brian reached out, pulling his son into a tight embrace, realizing they had a lot of ground to cover before they became a strong family unit, but thought this was a very good start.

 

Moving away and back toward his waiting horse, Gus turned around, his tone angry and cold, "I don't care what you do to our mother. She needs to be punished."

 

"Trust me, Gus, she will be." The king watched as his son mounted his horse, his eyes filled with chips of ice as he thought about Lindsay and all of the havoc her deception had caused. Returning to the jeep, Brian drove back up to the house, his depraved ex-wife his next matter of business. As much as he wanted to kill her, or even incarcerate her, he was aware that one day his children might be repelled by that, so another punishment would be enacted. In fact, a punishment that would be horrific to her... one that she was moments from discovering.

 


 

Lindsay stood to her feet, glaring hatefully at the king, uncaring that her life was in his hands, but at the moment, going crazy being locked up with no contact with the outside room. "It's about time, Brian. I have been locked in here for days without you checking on me. I could have died in here!"

 

The king grunted. "Died? That wouldn't be my luck. However, I have decided on your ultimate fate, and I thought I would share it with you."

 

"F-fate?" Lindsay asked nervously. "You can't do anything until you've located our daughter. And I know you couldn't have done that."

 

"Our daughter?" the king bellowed. "I will caution you NOT to ever refer to Jasmine as your daughter as well. You do not have the right to be referred to as a mother, and you certainly won't be in regard to MY children!" Forcing himself to regain his composure before he did what was forbidden to him and physically strike a woman, he added, "Jasmine has been found and is now home. I don't need you for anything!"

 

Lindsay's eyes became wide, fear quickly materializing on her face. She had nothing now. Brian wasn't supposed to find Jasmine this soon. What would he do to her? He didn't need her for anything. "Y-you won't kill me. The children would never forgive you, especially Gus."

 

"Gus? Really, Lindsay? When have you ever been a caring mother for him? Let me answer that. NEVER! Gus just told me the same and gave me his full understanding and approval for any punishment I decide to enact. Perhaps you should sit down, this will be difficult for you..."

 

Crossing her hands in front of her, determined to appear strong, when she felt anything but, she adamantly refused. "No. I will stand. What is your plan?"

 

"You, my dear ex-wife, will be moving to the tower rooms. For now, you will remain here, as certain modifications will be made to those rooms. There is one large window in that room. I had thought of removing it, but I have another idea..." Brian paused as the horrified look entered her eyes. "The tower will be constantly guarded, and the window will be replaced with glass that you can see through, but that no one can see you from the other side."

 

"The tower? That's barbaric, Brian. You can't do this to me!" Lindsay protested, knowing she would go crazy without any contact with the outside world, not to mention jailed like a common criminal, whether it be in more comfortable surroundings or not. "Why would you do this?"

 

"Why? You are unbelievable!" Brian spat out, unable to fathom how the deranged woman couldn't see all that she had done wrong. "I want you to see the children going on with life, enjoying it and the life they have here, knowing you can see them, but they can't see you, and be traumatized more by your presence. Perhaps one day you will develop a heart, but I have my doubts." Brian moved to the door, laughing as she shrieked in outrage. "I will make these modifications top priority. I want you in your new living quarters as soon as possible."

 

"I despise you, Brian. There are people that will look for me. You will have to answer questions..."

 

Brian growled, his fist slamming into the door he was about to open. He turned around to face her. "People? Do you mean your accomplice? The doctor? Not to worry... I will find him as well! And I will remind you... I AM the law. You are a citizen of Tehara. I don't have to answer to anyone!" Quickly, he pushed in the code, walking away as she continued to swear at his head. If he wasn't so angered by her, he would have laughed. This was the worst possible end for his attention-seeking ex-wife. He couldn't wait for her true misery to begin...

 

TBC