- Text Size +

 

Brian looked down at Michael's abandoned position in the game, before gently asking his daughter, "Do you mind if I take Michael's place?"

 

Jasmine blinked in surprise, clearly that being the last thing she had expected. "Uhhh, I guess so." She shrugged and laughed. "I don't think you can help him at this point."

 

Sitting down, Brian took a moment to view the game board, and then at the properties and money that each of them had accumulated. He frowned, uncertain of what Michael's strategy had been. It certainly hadn't been to win the game. As he thought about it, he decided this had been a method of relaxing his anxious daughter, and to his surprise, it seemed to have worked. "Yes, I can see that."

 

Rolling the dice, Jasmine took her turn, not speaking again until after she had finished. "You said you needed to talk to me about something important..."

 

Brian nodded, looking at his child intently, uncertain of how he would approach the subject of Lindsay, but deciding that would come after Gus' arrival. First, the two siblings needed to meet. "I did, but I will share that with you after you have the chance to meet your brother."

 

Jasmine watched as her father took his turn, her face suddenly becoming pale, she bit at her lip, her eyes wide and frightened, instantly unable to voice her thoughts.

 

Looking up, Brian became alarmed, that look of anxiety on his daughter's face not something he wanted to see, and a look that he sensed wasn't common for her. "Jasmine? What's wrong? If it's about meeting Gus, it doesn't have to be now."

 

Shaking her head, Jasmine told him, "No, it's fine. It needs to happen, and the longer I wait, the harder it will be."

 

"Of course." Brian finished his turn, watching as Jasmine simply sat there immobile, appearing less than interested in finishing the game. "We don't have to play this game. I am guilty of wanting to spend any time with you that I can. I have so much to make up for, and I want to get started."

 

A smile suddenly appeared, and Jasmine told him, "I don't want to play it, either."

 

Brian stood, motioning for Jasmine to join him. "If we stand by the window, we will see Gus arriving. You can have a sneak peek... if you want."

 

"Okay," she agreed, immediately following, deciding that would be nice. "You said he was at the stables? Do you have a lot of horses?"

 

"Yes, we have a full stable. Gus has several horses but prefers one over the others. The same will go for you too." Brian turned to look at Jasmine inquisitively, before asking her, "Do you know how to ride?"

 

Jasmine shook her head, her eyes focused on the beautiful view of the gardens, and not the king that watched her so intently. "I was always around home and away from groups of people. I- I guess now it makes sense why my mother or whoever she really was, kept me away from strangers."

 

Brian knew he would never be certain of Mila's motives. It could have been to keep Jasmine's identity hidden, or it could have been done to protect her. After speaking in detail with the nurse, he decided it was a bit of both. "I believe she did the best she could to take care of you, and I have given her a token of my appreciation."

 

Turning her head, she asked the king, "What does that mean?"

 

"I released her to return home and gave her a sizable check to thank her for the care of you for all these years." Brian looked down at his daughter attentively, watching every response that passed over her face. Even though she was extremely strong for her young age, her face was also very expressive. Right now, that felt like a blessing.

 

"Thank you for doing that, Your Highness. You didn't have to do it, and that says a lot about you." Jasmine laughed, shaking her head in confusion. "I don't know what to think. You are not like what I have seen on TV, but I guess I've already told you that."

 

The king laughed. "People rarely are, especially in political circles. I make a solid effort of keeping family and business separate. It's not always possible, but for the most part, it works out." Brian looked toward the garden, from the distance he could see one of the guards escorting Gus. Such heightened security wasn't really necessary here, but he took no chances with his children. They would always be watched. That would never change. "Here he comes now."

 

Jasmine watched, her eyes wide as her brother came into view. She smiled as she looked at him, even in the distance, his resemblance to their father more than apparent. "He looks like you, Sir. And he moves like you. He's so confident and relaxed." She turned to look at the king, shaking her head at her own words. "Does that make any sense?"

 

Brian was frowning. Each time that Jasmine referred to him as ‘Your Highness,' and now, ‘Sir,' it was similar to a knife into his heart. He wanted a close relationship with his daughter, as he had with his son. More than anything, he wanted Jasmine to reach out to him, and to call him Father. God, how much he wanted that. Although he knew it was unrealistic and entirely too soon for that, he found himself aching for it. This was such a frustrating situation. None of this was his fault. Greed and betrayal had caused him to lose his child; and yet, he was still being punished. Realizing that she was waiting for him to answer, Brian quickly reassured her. "Yes, it makes perfect sense. Gus has always felt safe and loved. He is well adjusted but much too mature for his age." Brian smiled. "That is another thing the two of you seem to have in common. Hopefully, once the two of you get to know each other, you can spend some time enjoying your youth."

 

"We'll see..." Jasmine replied, not overly hopeful about that. She turned from the window and stared at her father, still with so many questions in her mind. "You said our mother didn't have much of a relationship with Gus either?"

 

"Not at all," Brian murmured, doing all that he could to not rant about the children's diabolical mother. Soon, they would know everything about Lindsay and her future... but not quite yet. He didn't want Lindsay to taint their meeting any more than absolutely necessary. "She traveled most of the time, and when she wasn't, she mostly kept to herself."

 

Jasmine smiled tremulously. "I guess she didn't just hate me then. Perhaps she dislikes children in general."

 

His hands clenched at his sides as he fought against the urge to punch the nearest object. Rage escalated in him each time he witnessed how much Lindsay had hurt both of his children. First, it had been Gus by her total neglect and disinterest in him. Gus had moved past that, or at least he appeared to on the surface, but he had to wonder if he truly had. How did a child recover from the knowledge that their mother didn't give a damn about them? And Jasmine... she had never known her mother, at least, not her true birth mother. How did she adjust to knowing her mother had so heartlessly tossed her aside, uncaring of the life that had been taken from her, placing her in what could have been an unsafe and unhappy environment? He didn't know how to ever make things right for his daughter, but he knew he would spend each day trying. "I can never make up for what she has done, but I promise you that I will make certain your future is much different."

 

Silent, Jasmine nodded, her eyes fastened intently on her father, the depth of emotion in his eyes clear to even a stranger. In her case, in the eyes of a child that had never felt like she belonged, but already, that seemed to be changing. She tensed when she heard footsteps hurriedly moving up the stairs, her eyes wide as she watched the door, not a doubt in her mind that her brother was near. "It's my brother." At once, she smiled. "I can feel him. How is that possible?"

 

Brian smiled gently at his daughter, his heart never feeling as full as it did at this moment. "You are twins, Jasmine. I couldn't possibly understand it, but I believe there is a bond present. Perhaps all it took was for you to be close to each other for it to come alive. I think it's just the beginning for both of you. In fact, for all of us."

 

Stepping away, Brian approached the door, opening it to wait for Gus' arrival, nodding to the guard and advising him to wait outside. Brian recognized that he possibly went overboard with their protection on the house grounds, but after all the enemies he had recently faced, he wasn't about to take any chances with his children. "Come in, Gus. Jasmine is here waiting for you." He watched as Gus' steps slightly faltered, for the first time that he could remember, his son showing hesitancy. As he looked at his face, he could detect nervousness in him as well. It appeared that both Gus and Jasmine were alike in that sense as well.

 

"Yes, Father. I know she is." Gus shook his head in confusion. "I don't know how to explain it. I can feel her."

 

"It's the connection between twins." Brian urged Gus into the room, quietly closing the door behind them. Silently, Brian led Gus closer, stopping once they were all an arm's length apart. "Gus, this is Jasmine." He looked between Gus and Jasmine, amused at how they each seemed to be studying the other, neither of them in any hurry to speak. "Jasmine, this is your brother, Gus." Brian stared at them intently. They were so different, and yet so similar.

 

After a long moment of silence, Gus took the initiative. He extended his hand to Jasmine, closing his hand around hers when she accepted the gesture. "I'm pleased to meet you, Jasmine."

 

"Me too, Gus." Jasmine released his hand, her eyes moving from her brother to their father, then back to her brother again. "You look a lot like the king."

 

Gus chuckled. "You mean our father?"

 

The king cleared his throat. "Not now, Gus. Jasmine has just discovered that we are her family. Her life has been altered without any warning. She needs time to adjust to that."

 

Nodding, Gus answered, "Of course, Father. I wasn't thinking."

 

"It's okay, Gus. Everyone I've met so far has been nice, especially our father." Jasmine's voice quivered during the last part, leaving no doubt as to how awkward she was still feeling.

 

"Who have you met so far?" Gus asked in genuine interest.

 

"Justin and Michael. I might have met others, but I've been with them the most." She smiled. "I really like Justin, even if I haven't been as nice to him. I think I like Michael too."

 

Gus grinned, clearly in agreement with her choices. "They are both great. I don't know Justin that well yet, but I really like him."

 

Brian glanced back and forth between his children, suddenly feeling awkward. They had begun conversing in what seemed to be a normal progression, with no tension in the air. It was amazing how quickly children could adapt to their surroundings. Unfortunately, he would have to reveal the unpleasant news about their mother. He only hoped it didn't cause any rifts between any of them. Clearing his throat, Brian waited until they were both looking at him before he spoke. "Could we sit at the table? I have something to discuss with the both of you."

 

Gus' eyes widened. He knew that tone in his father's voice. It wasn't good news. "Of course, Father." He looked at his sister, waiting for her to respond, but realizing she was still very hesitant around both him and their father. Once Brian led the way to the table, she finally followed along, with Gus directly behind them.

 

"This isn't easy for me, but I don't want any secrets between us. I just want you to know that no matter what decisions I am forced to make as the King of Tehara, I am still your father... and I love you both very much." Brian looked directly at Gus and Jasmine in turn as he spoke the words, slightly surprised when Jasmine didn't look away following his choice of words. That in itself was encouraging to him.

 

"It's about Mother, isn't it?" Gus abruptly asked, upon speaking the words, tension instantly returned full force into the room.

 

Jasmine looked straight ahead, not looking at anyone, but anger clearly present in her eyes. Without any warning, she angrily announced, "I will never call her that!"

 

Uncertain if the gesture would be welcome or not, Brian took a chance and stretched his arm across the table, his hand gently covering the trembling one of his daughters. "Jasmine, you don't ever have to look upon her - if that is your wish. In fact, I'd prefer you not be further harmed by her poison. However, I want to be fair to you and offer you the one chance to speak to her. It will be your only opportunity."

 

Gus' eyes closed for a moment, before he opened them, turning them to look at his father in understanding, but with a flicker of pain in them. "You've decided on her punishment."

 

"Yes, my son. I have." Brian lightly squeezed Jasmine's hand before releasing it, turning his attention to his son. "Another co-conspirator has been identified. There are too many people involved to keep this quiet, nor could I ever do that in good conscience. Your mother has committed treason, along with the others that have helped her. As the king, I must see that they are punished in accordance with our laws. I think you know what that means."

 

Jasmine gasped, instantly standing to her feet. "You are going to kill our mother?! Why can't you just lock her up? What's the point of being the king if you can't change laws?" Jasmine began to cry, hating that she was displaying emotion in a way that she never did. "She could change her mind someday... and maybe actually w-want us."

 

Brian's head whipped around when he could feel Gus about to intercede on his behalf. The last thing Jasmine needed was to feel further attacked. Her entire life had been uprooted. She didn't need to be ridiculed now. "Not a word, Gus. Try to see things from Jasmine's perspective." Returning his attention to his distraught daughter, Brian hated Lindsay all the more. He wanted to kill her with his own bare hands, but knew that would forever damn him in his daughter's eyes. "Jasmine, I don't want to hurt you or your brother. Your mother has committed treason, plotted in advance with malice in her heart. There is no going back from that."

 

"Fine. Obviously, I never thought she loved me, but I need her to tell me why she did it. Why she chose to toss me away. If this will be my only chance to find out, I need to see her." Jasmine placed her hands on her hips, in her typical stance of defiance, determination clearly visible on her face.

 

"Jasmine, she's only going to lie to you. She will do anything to save herself now. You should just stay away from her!" Gus exclaimed, unable to believe how stubborn his sister seemed to be.

 

Brian sighed, realizing this ‘talk' couldn't have gone much worse. "Gus, leave it alone. Jasmine has never met her mother. It's obvious she would have questions."

 

"I'm not that stupid, Gus. I will know if she is lying. And it doesn't even matter. I need to tell her what I think about what she's done." She looked at her father beseechingly. "Can you understand that, Your Highness?"

 

Gus rolled his eyes. "I get that, but why can't you call him Father? None of this is his fault!"

 

Brian began to pace, forcing himself not to swear, or break any object that could dispel his rage. Fucking Lindsay. He despised the witch so fucking much. Her death would be sweet to him, even though he knew he would need to keep his joy hidden. Thankfully, it will be over soon.

 

"I never said it was his fault! I just found all this out. It's too soon for all that!" Jasmine glared at her brother, unable to believe he was pushing her about that with their mother's execution looming over them.

 

Moving to stand in between them, Brian placed his hands on Jasmine's shoulders, primarily to keep her from launching herself at her brother. She was so much like him. In other circumstances, it would amuse him, but nothing was entertaining at the moment. "I realize it is too soon for that, Jasmine. I will wait for you to feel comfortable with me as your father and address me as such. For now, I want you to have the closure you need." Brian looked over his shoulder at Gus who was now looking down, clearly ashamed of his outburst. "That you both need."

 

Gus looked up, shaking his head in denial. "I don't need to see her, Father. I accept your decision. She has never treated me with kindness or respect, nor have I ever felt any love from her... only from you. I have no wish to see her again."

 

The king inclined his head, not the least bit surprised about Gus' decision. His son had previously told him the same. He hadn't expected him to change his mind. "Jasmine, I will take you to see your mother in the morning. After that, she will be transferred to the prison."

 

"Thank you..." she brokenly whispered. "May I be alone now?"

 

Although he didn't want to leave her, Brian understood her need for solitude. So much had happened to her in just one day's time. Sadly, he reflected, it wouldn't be resolved just with Lindsay's removal, and her imminent execution. Only time and the life and love he could provide would heal the damage his child had suffered. "Of course. I will check on you before dinner. In the meantime, if you need me, your guard always knows where to find me."

 

Gus stopped and looked at Jasmine, smiling warmly at his sister. "I'm sorry if what I said upset you. That wasn't my intention." When she briefly returned his smile, he told her, "I'm glad you're finally home. Our father is a great man. In time, you'll see that too."

 

Jasmine watched as her father and brother left the room, unable to explain the connection she felt to both of them. She thought about Gus' words. Our father is a great man. In time, you'll see that too. Although she only just found her father, she already believed Gus' words to be the absolute truth.

 

TBC