- Text Size +

 

Moving his eyes to slowly crawl up the far wall in a determined effort to maintain his patience, the king addressed the hysterical housekeeper sternly yet attempting to appear the voice of calm and reason. It wasn't an easy task when a wailing woman knelt at your feet. "Rise and have a seat, Alba. I have already told you - you are NOT in trouble." Brian gritted his teeth as the robust woman stood to her feet, her sobs signifying she didn't quite believe him. "All I seek is some information. Once I have that, you may return to your duties."

 

Bobbing her head in understanding, hiccups began to emit from her as she brokenly answered, "Y-yes, Your Highness. I-I'll tell you a-anything you wish to know."

 

"Of course you will..." Brian blandly responded. His commands were absolute. Anyone that ever was issued one knew that compliance was a requirement - not a choice. He surmised this frightened woman would be more than open with all the information she possessed. The king only hoped this task wouldn't require an excessive amount of prodding. He realized she might not be aware of the importance of what she could perceive as common knowledge. In the case of the Taylor's, Sir Craig Taylor in particular, he recognized that all information was significant. Silent until she was seated, and somewhat calmer, Brian asked, "How long have you been employed by Sir Taylor?" Brian gritted his teeth as he spoke the title that he believed to be much undeserved. He would love to strip him of it, but it wasn't administered by him, or even his country. In that, he was powerless.

 

The housekeeper nervously smiled. This was an easy question to answer. "Your Highness, I have been with the family for many years. I came with them from Europe when they originally settled here."

 

"I see." Brian processed that important information before he suggested, "I would expect that your loyalty is extended more to Mrs. Taylor."

 

Nodding her head in agreement, and feeling much more comfortable about this interview, Alba answered, "Indeed so. I was Lady Jennifer's personal maid. When she married, I was given the choice to be reassigned or come with her."

 

The king narrowed his eyes in suspicion. Something didn't sound right, and he was determined to get to the bottom of every mystery pertaining to this home. "I don't understand," the king answered with a severe look. "I was led to believe that Lady Jennifer was exiled from her family when she chose Craig Taylor over their wishes. Why would they give her the comfort of such familiarity?"

 

"Lady Jennifer was always pampered, specifically by her grandfather. Rumor has it that he approved of the banishment her father decreed. The distrust and malice they felt toward Craig Taylor couldn't be mended." Taking a deep breath, her eyes widening at the king's intense stare, Alba had to continue reminding herself that she wasn't the one in trouble here. That fact was very difficult to remember, when at the end of the king's cold stare. "I-I eagerly agreed. I had taken care of Lady Jennifer from a very young age. She was always spoiled, but she grew up into such a great lady. I am honored to be in her service."

 

Brian inclined his head. "So I am hearing. Tell me about her husband, Craig Taylor. In particular... his treatment of both her and their son."

 

Her face suddenly drained of color, fear returning to her eyes as she looked around the room, any feeling of comfort suddenly disintegrating. "With all due respect, Your Highness, I really don't feel comfortable involving myself in family matters."

 

"I understand that," Brian snapped, his patience with this nervous woman wearing thin, while realizing he needed to get his answers... and get to them quickly. "However, I don't recall giving you a choice. As I am removing Justin from the home today, I need to ascertain Lady Jennifer's safety before I do so. Anything that you tell me will be held in confidence."

 

Trembling at the menace she heard in the king's voice, she knew she had no other alternative than full disclosure. That was obviously what was best for Lady Jennifer, and in turn, probably for her as well. "I- I apologize, My King. I h-have just been keeping to myself for so long, it's a natural response."

 

Waving his hand to acknowledge his understanding of her words, he tersely bit out, "I get that, Alba... however, now I need answers!"

 

Alba began sobbing again, this time a bit less hysterically. She knew the king's anger wasn't totally directed at her, but at the same time, his manner intimidated her. "W-what exactly do you want to know about Sir Taylor?"

 

"Alba, I am not trying to frighten you in any way; I just quickly need these answers - as I have already conveyed to you. I am pressed for time, but I don't intend to leave Mrs. Taylor in an unsafe environment. My goal is to transition Justin into his new life smoothly and as comfortably as possible. Fearing for his mother's well-being will not secure that." Brian took a deep breath, watching the housekeeper absorb the information, only continuing when her cries stilled, and her body began to stop trembling. "I want to know if Craig Taylor is physically abusive. The details of their marriage are of no concern to me... only her safety."

 

"I have never witnessed any abuse, although Lady Jennifer's cries have often been heard. She is very regal and holds so much in. That has always been her way." Alba shook her head when she thought of Justin. "But Justin..."

 

"What about Justin?" Brian hissed, rage sweltering in him at the thought of Craig Taylor striking Justin on another occasion, although realistically he had already concluded it wouldn't have been an isolated incident. How dare he abuse what belonged to his king? There must be reparation for this outrage.

 

Alba's hands began to flail, her eyes widening at what was the most menacing tone she had ever heard. "Well, Your Highness, Sir Taylor doesn't treat Justin, how can I best say it?" She paused for a moment, flinching at the impatience clearly reflected in the king's eyes. "He doesn't treat him like a son. I don't know why, but I sense that Sir Taylor is ashamed of Justin, and I have no idea why. Justin is such a smart and caring young man."

 

The king pondered that for a moment. Ashamed of his son? He couldn't fathom why any father would feel that way, but in the case of Craig Taylor, one cause came to mind. Justin Taylor was queer, and that would be offensive to the obviously bigoted and straight-laced Craig Taylor. Another nail in his proverbial coffin. "Thank you, Alba. You have been most cooperative. You may return to your duties."

 

Standing and bowing awkwardly, Alba stammered a reply, "T-thank you, Your Highness." Glancing up to see the king had already looked away, Alba rushed from the room, her chest expanding when nervous audible breaks in her breathing sounded in the hallway filled with the king's men.

 

A brief moment had passed when the king brutally slammed the doors open, shouting out in a voice encased in anger. "Benjamin!"

 

Rushing forward, Ben bowed to his king, his eyes wide and attentive on the king's tense countenance. "My King?"

 

"Inside..." Brian growled. He waited only until Ben was inside and the door was shut behind them, before he commanded, "I want Lady Jennifer escorted from the premises immediately! For now, she may reside at one of the cottages on my estate. Have her taken in the jeep to aid in a more expedient arrival. Inform her to only pack what she needs for a few days. I will have Alba see to the rest of her things; and of course, Alba will follow her in a few days' time. A guard will remain at the Taylor home to ensure my orders are obeyed."

 

Ben gasped his surprise that the king was taking such an aggressive move in regard to Mrs. Taylor's safekeeping. "I will see to it immediately. Shall I accompany her... or one of the other guards?"

 

"I want you to remain behind with me." A concerned look crossed Brian's face. "I am still unsettled about many things here. It could simply be the coldness I feel in this home; however, I refuse to take any chances. I doubt that Lady Jennifer will resist you. This will enable her to be closer to Justin; of course, how much I allow him to visit with his mother will be greatly determined by his behavior. Make certain she understands that..."

 

"As you wish, Your Highness." Ben bowed and moved to the door, turning back to smile warmly at his king. "I know you are taking this action for various reasons, but you didn't have to act so ferociously in Mrs. Taylor's protection. Justin is yours regardless. That you do so is a sign of great honor, and I respect you even more for that, My King."

 

A curt nod was Brian's simple answer. It was an acceptance and appreciation of Ben's high regard; however, he wasn't one to engage in any form of sentimentality. Ben knew that, and wouldn't expect him to respond further. Before he could plan his next strategy regarding the odious Sir Taylor, all eyes turned to a screeching Emmett rushing down the stairs, several guards running in alarm behind him. Brian rolled his eyes, somehow knowing this news was about to piss him off beyond endurance. He stepped into the library, before barking at Ben, "Go see to Mrs. Taylor. No matter what else is happening here, I want her removed according to my orders."

 

Emmett rushed in after the king, breathless, pale, and for once, fearful of the words he was now forced to speak. "My King, Justin has completely vanished. We have searched all the upstairs rooms and he is nowhere to be found..."

 

Brian began to swear in Arabic. All eyes bulging at the long stream of profanities emerging from their typically in-control monarch. "I am beginning to rue the day I ever heard the name of Taylor!" The king affixed a cold gaze on his friend and one of his most trusted men. "What the fuck happened?"

 

"I allowed Justin to pack his belongings privately." When the king growled, he continued, "I checked the room first for any escape routes. There were none." At the king's responding snort, Emmett continued, "I was simply trying to make him more comfortable by allowing him to gather his thoughts and say goodbye to the familiarity of his home in peace. I am deeply sorry, Your Highness."

 

Brian looked at Emmett incredulously. No escape routes? Emmett should know that these older homes were filled with secret passages that are unseen to the eye. In his ancestor's time, that was the difference between life and death. "We will discuss your failure later; for now, what belongs to me must be recaptured! Summon the guards at once, and have Craig Taylor brought before me." A cold and cruel smile twisted the king's lips. "Sir Taylor has many sins to atone for. Should he be responsible for stealing what is rightfully mine, it will mean his death!"

 

TBC