- Text Size +

 

"You summoned, Your Lordship?" Justin's voice called out in amusement, his footsteps quickly taking him into the king's large suite of rooms, his eyes widening when he noticed that the king wasn't alone, but instead, with Jasmine standing by his side, her eyes looking back and forth between them in confusion. "Ohhh, sorry, I didn't realize you weren't alone..."

 

Your Lordship, she mouthed silently, her eyes darting back and forth between them curiously.

 

The king looked at Justin with censure in his eyes, the stiffness in his body displaying his displeasure. Why did the boy have to pick now to be so impetuous? What if Jasmine inquired about the specifics of their relationship? Although the twins were closer to nine than eight, it wasn't an appropriate topic for children. In time, he was certain he would have to divulge Justin's place here at the palace; however, not today. "Come in, Justin. I was hoping you wouldn't mind sitting with Jasmine while I briefly speak with Lindsay."

 

Placing her hands on her hips, Justin's improper behavior suddenly became the last thing on the child's mind. "Sit with me? I'm not a baby!"

 

Justin smirked. "I told you she's just like you. This will be so much fun." Justin laughed, his mind racing with all of the future scenarios he would get to witness between father and daughter. At this point, he wasn't even certain who would win their battles. The king always thought his views were correct, with him being superior to everyone around him, but his daughter was wild and stubborn. It would be interesting. As Brian's head whipped around to stare impatiently at his daughter, Justin's eyes widened in apprehension. Hell, he thought to himself. Please don't let him yell at her. He wasn't sure Jasmine would be ready for that side of her father so soon.

 

With the greatest of control, Brian tempered his tone, barely able to remember that snapping at his daughter could be ill-advised. "Jasmine, I am taking into consideration how much your life has changed, and how confusing everything must be. However, in our world, respect is always given. I won't tolerate anything less than that. As the King of Tehara, I simply cannot, whether it be an outsider or someone from within. I need you to understand that."

 

Watching as Jasmine began to slightly tremble, Justin moved forward, uncertain of what he could do to intercede, only knowing that he had to try. "Your Highness," Justin began, his tone respectful, as he addressed his lover more formally, knowing that in this instance, and for Jasmine's benefit, it would be for the best, "I don't think Jasmine meant any disrespect. I think this is simply a difficult time of adjustment for her."

 

Brian rolled his eyes, aware of what Justin was trying to do, but irritated by the timing of his interference. "Justin, I will thank you for just doing what I asked of you. If you cannot handle that, I can summon someone else."

 

Justin gasped, the coldness in Brian's tone cutting him deeply. "Uhhh no, that won't be necessary. I would be glad to sit with Jasmine."

 

Nodding curtly, Brian returned his gaze to Jasmine, at the moment, not wanting to look at the hurt in Justin's eyes. They would need to talk about this later. He thought Justin understood how things must be in the face of others, but clearly, he didn't fully comprehend proper decorum. That had to be managed more effectively. "I won't be very long. I'm just going to advise Lindsay of the visit and then you can meet her." Brian didn't add that he would also warn the spiteful woman of the consequences of defying him further. Regardless of the fact that she was sentenced to death, how that death happened was still subject to change. Her end could be much worse.

 

Jasmine nodded, her eyes downcast when she answered, "Okay, thank you. And I- I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you angry. You have been very nice to me."

 

"We all have our own adjustments to make. You most of all. I understand that; I just needed to make you aware of certain expectations. Your actions will be observed by many, my child. Public outbursts toward your father, the king, break all of the rules of propriety."

 

She looked up, her bottom lip slightly trembling when she asked, "W-what if I don't always agree with you? Do I have to be quiet all of the time? I'm not sure I can do that..."

 

"Of course not." Brian moved closer to his daughter, the panic in her voice causing guilt to course through him. "We just need to keep our disagreements private, away from the public especially. I know that Justin would never say anything bad about you to anyone on the estate, but others might not be so trustworthy." Briefly, Brian glanced in Justin's direction, hoping his words would make some amends for his harshness from a short moment ago, immediately realizing that wouldn't be the case as Justin was staring off in the opposite direction, deliberately looking at anything other than him. Clearly, there would be damage control to manage later, but he couldn't think about that now.

 

When Jasmine remained silent, a slight tremble still visible, Brian sensed that her anxiety was more directed at the meeting that was about to take place, and not about him needing to be sharp with her. It had occurred to him that her outburst could have been brought on by her nervousness over meeting Lindsay. It was his hope that the visit would be extremely short-lived. It was his feeling that Lindsay would show her true colors once she realized Jasmine wasn't falling for her deceptive lies. He wasn't sure why he believed it so strongly, but he believed that Jasmine wouldn't fall for any of Lindsay's trickery. With that in mind, he realized it was time to get this unpleasant visit underway.

 

"Jasmine, I am going to tell your mother that you're here. Stay with Justin and I will return to get you soon." Brian's eyes drifted toward Justin, his attention watchful on the blond's body language, easily identifying Justin's unrest, resolving he would fix everything later. "Thank you for staying with her, Justin. I shouldn't be very long."

 

Justin shrugged. "It's not a problem." Justin maintained a low tone, attempting to sound neutral, not wanting to alarm Jasmine. He wasn't actually angry at Brian; in a way, he understood how he had spoken to him as he had. Even with that in mind though, he couldn't help feeling hurt, in the back of his mind wondering if it would always be this way. Smiling at the young girl, Justin urged her over to the window. "Let's sit over here. There's a beautiful view from here. If you look closely, you can actually see the stables in the distance."

 

Silently, Brian watched as Jasmine moved to join Justin, pleased by how at ease she seemed to be with him. Despite how badly this had started, that was a positive. Stepping away from them, Brian moved through his suite of rooms, as hesitant as he was for Jasmine to meet her mother, eager to have the distasteful business concluded. Walking toward the secret room, Brian lifted his hand to type in the code, his eyes widening in disbelief as he found the door slightly open, his heart beginning to race as he rushed inside. His nostrils flared as he searched the room. Lindsay was clearly no longer present. "Fucking bitch!" he snarled, his eyes seeing a quickly scrawled note laying on the small bed, his hand reaching for it, reading it in total disbelief.

 

As much as I would love to say I'm sorry to have foiled your plans for my execution, I am fortunate that I was observant enough to watch your inept guard type in the code when Ethan was taken away. It's funny how gullible men can be when they believe they are faced with a distraught woman. I have friends on this island that don't support you; I will find someone to help me escape. Perhaps not with the riches that I should enjoy, but I will be alive. My only regret is that the twins didn't die in childbirth. My immense hatred for you is what drives me now. Your pain and suffering are what I yearn for the most...

Lindsay

 

Reaching into his pocket, Brian called Ben, his tone low, yet the rage boiling in him causing his heart to hammer in his chest. "Benjamin, Lindsay has escaped. I need you to take Gus to the tower, I will be bringing Jasmine and Justin as well. The tower will be under the highest level of security. I won't take any chances with any of them! Alert all of the guards, beginning with those attending the gates. I will meet you in the surveillance room. My orders are simple. If Lindsay is spotted, she is not to be captured. Instead, she is to be shot and killed on sight!"

 

TBC