- Text Size +

 

The king began to pace a straight line in front of his guards, his orders being placed without a break in his speech, his eyes savaging each one of them as he spoke. This escape was a personal affront to him. Should Justin make it off the Taylor grounds, the punishment would be dire for any and all that aided in his escape.

 

"I do not expect to repeat my orders more than once. As my most skilled Guardsmen, you know the protocols."

 

"Not one inch of these grounds are not to be investigated. There hasn't been much time for him to make his escape. You are to look for lone riders and those in a riding party. I assume that he will ride out alone, then, perhaps rendezvous with whoever is helping him."

 

Brian's nostrils flared. "I want those people brought before me; however, I want them unharmed if at all possible." The king's eyes touched on each man. "In regard to Justin, he is not to be touched with any sort of aggression. If he is cornered, I doubt he will be foolish enough to attempt another escape. If he should, you may restrain him. However, let me be very clear - if I find one mark on him, the punishment will be administered by my hand!"

 

Pausing when Benjamin escorted Lady Jennifer down the staircase, not wanting her to hear too much of what had happened in such a short amount of time, he watched as she stoically moved forward, diplomatically avoiding eye contact with him and all of the guards. As he looked down the line and fastened his gaze on one of his most devoted guards, as well as one of the more sensitive ones, the king had a sudden idea. He wanted Jennifer Taylor to have a smooth transition. Her having that was to his benefit. Not for one moment did he consider the possibility of Justin successfully escaping him. The young man was his now. Once he had him under his roof, the boy would understand that as well.

 

"Tucker, I want you to follow on a horse from a distance. I am entrusting Lady Jennifer's safety to your care." Brian looked intently at the man younger than himself. "I know you won't let me down."

 

Bowing to the waist, Tucker eagerly responded, "I will protect her with my life, Your Highness."

 

Brian inclined his head, never doubting his choice, or of Tucker's dedication to duty. He was fortunate to have so many loyal and skilled warriors. Luck had very little to do with it, though. His father may have been a monster, but he had trained his army well. Brian had followed in his footsteps. That was the only trait they had in common. Brian was determined that would never change.

 

All remained silent as they listened to the monarch, eyes becoming even more attentive to him when he paused in his speech. They all followed the line of the king's vision, all to see Ben escorting Mrs. Taylor out to one of the jeeps, two more guards accompanying them. Silence prevailed until Ben reappeared in the foyer, the king sharply asking, "All is well with Lady Jennifer's departure?"

 

"Yes, My King. Everything seems to be fine. The dear lady asked some questions, but not in abundance. I got the feeling she was happy to leave here, especially once she realized she wouldn't be far from Justin."

 

Brian smiled. "I am sure that is an added inducement." Looking to his remaining men, Brian bit out, "You have your orders. I want reports from each of you as the grounds are searched. Break up into groups, and watch out for each other accordingly. I don't expect for you to be met with any conflict... but as always, remain cautious. The threat won't come from the young man, but if others are helping him, we don't know their intentions." After a final nod to the group, he turned on his heel, having no need to look to know the scurrying footsteps would be his men enacting his royal decree.

 

Ben, one of the few guards remaining inside of the house, approached the king. "Your Highness?" he began uncertainly. "While I was seeing to Lady Jennifer's departure, I noticed Emmett in the courtyard sniffling, his head hanging low. I think he is quite upset that young Justin escaped on his watch."

 

Brian's nostrils flared. "As he should be!" Lifting his hand, dismissing the announcement as a triviality, Brian told him, "That is of no consequence. Emmett is just in one of his ‘queen out moments'. It will pass just as quickly as it came on him."

 

"Probably." Ben laughed. "Will we be staying here until Justin is found? That is... if he is..."

 

"IF??" the king roared, not allowing Ben to finish his statement. "The boy has a very slight lead. My guards are skilled huntsmans. He won't get far."

 

Ben knew he could be risking life and limb, but he felt compelled to place the reminder. "I doubt we are looking for a lone man, Your Highness. Our arrival was unexpected. For an escape plan to be enacted, someone had to know this day was coming... and soon. This could be an enemy with a great deal of information."

 

"I realize that, Benjamin!" Brian growled. He was unaccustomed to being challenged, and from one of his men - it was unfathomable. Brian's nostrils flared, his next unpleasant task before him. "Come with me, it is time to meet with Sir Taylor. We will see how much he has to do with his son's disappearance. For his sake, he had better hope that I am convinced that it's none at all!"

 


 

"Who are you?" Justin asked the olive-skinned man, eyeing him warily as he watched his horse fading away into the distance, in what appeared a deliberate attempt to act as a subterfuge in concealing Justin's true location.

 

Taking a seat across from Justin in the caravan, the man only a few years older than the beautiful blond passenger, smiled with genuine warmth, before answering, "I am Tomas."

 

Squinting, Justin asked him, "Have we met? There is something vaguely familiar about you, but I can't place you." Justin's eyes moved over the handsome young man's face, a gasp sounding once awareness came to him. "I remember. You used to work in the fields for my father."

 

Tomas' eyes clouded over. "That was a summer I'll never forget." A reminiscent smile curved his lips. He looked intently at Justin, playful lights dancing in his eyes. "I had just finished for the day. It started to rain; in fact, as I remember it, it was an unseasonal downpour." As the caravan began to move, Tomas excitedly asked, "Do you recall it, Justin? Do you?"

 

Justin laughed, smiling indulgently at the clearly smitten and exuberant young man. "Yes, Tomas. I do remember. That was the first time I kissed a boy." Justin didn't add, the first time... and the last. Strangely enough, after that, not only had Tomas disappeared, but his father had begun imposing strict rules and issuing time-consuming chores. "I never saw you again. I kept wondering about you; I even asked my father. He said something curt about drifters never staying for long."

 

Tomas scowled, his fists beginning to clench in anger. "Drifter." A sneer followed. "I didn't leave... he fired me. I'm surprised you didn't know. He paid me my wages for the rest of the day and tossed me out. I knew much about the inner workings of his grand estate. When I heard the story of how he signed you over to the king, I knew I had to act."

 

"I'm glad you did." Justin smiled. He frowned as he thought of all of Tomas' words. "I never imagined that my father knew about our kiss, but I guess I'm not surprised. My father has been cold to me for years, actually cruel most of the time. My sexual orientation would be repugnant to him." Justin peered out the window, being cautious not to reveal himself, mindful that riders would be looking for him at some point, yet hopeful that Tomas had devised a good plan. "What's the next step?"

 

"Well Justin, that's really up to you. Is it your wish to remain here in Tehara, something I sadly find to be unwise should the king zealously pursue you... or do you wish to find passage away?" Tomas asked, hating the fact that he would probably be saying goodbye to his beautiful rose once again.

 

"Tehara has been my home for many years, but I have to accept that my presence here not only endangers me but all those that give me safe harbor. I have no choice but to leave." Justin slid closer to whisper to Tomas, "You could always come with me."

 

Tomas blushed, his eyes growing wide and excited. "Do you mean it? You would want me to come with you?"

 

"I don't see why not. Should the king discover your involvement in my escape, you will be in danger... and I see nothing wrong with us getting to know each other better." Justin knew it was wrong to lead Tomas on, hurting him was the last thing he wanted to do... but he was fighting for his survival now. He couldn't go back home again, and he refused to be the king's convenient vessel. It didn't matter how hot the king was, it was not in him to be so subservient.

 

"I can't; at least, not right now." Tomas hung his head dejectedly. "I have a family that needs me here, and Tehara is my home. I will see that you have a safe passage, though. Perhaps one day we will meet again."

 

"Perhaps we will." Justin smiled at Tomas warmly, despite how nice it would be to have a friendly face on his journey, he decided that parting ways was probably a blessing. It was clear that Tomas had a crush on him, and even though he remembered their first kiss as being extremely pleasant, he wasn't about to look back. Right now, he needed to look forward, and hope that in doing so, the future would be more secure.

 


 

The king looked at Benjamin in barely suppressed agitation. His interview with Craig Taylor wasn't going well at all. He had expected Sir Taylor to have the answers, most especially, since he found him to be the most suspicious of all. Brian realized his impatience wasn't advancing the process as would be the result in a typical interview. He wanted the boy found, and he wanted him found now. After that, and in very quick order, he wanted to leave the Taylor estate. Neither event seemed to be forthcoming.

 

"Your Highness, I have explained that I couldn't know how Justin escaped, or where he would go. I was sequestered in my rooms at the time." Craig met the king's cold eyes, with a blank stare of his own. "I'm sure you do remember that..."

 

"Of course I remember that!" Brian snarled. "I am the one who had you placed there." Brian resumed his pacing, this time in front of the only man that he felt had any answers to give; however, he had none. Or... this was just another clever act of subterfuge. He didn't trust Craig Taylor. He hadn't from the time he had received his missive, and after arriving here, his unease had only grown. "Now, I will repeat myself, and I advise you, I don't like doing THAT - where is Justin!?"

 

Ben's eyes widened as he observed the king's incredible anger. This was very uncommon. Typically, the king would be more patient, only exploding when all other options had been expunged. It was astounding that the king was that invested in the acquisition of this young man after so little interaction between them. However, he also remembered the lengths the monarch had gone to protect young Justin's mother. Despite the apparent danger Sir Taylor represented to his wife, it wasn't like the king to become this involved in family matters. The king obviously wanted Justin badly. He wouldn't want to be the one that stood in the king's way.

 

Fear was suddenly more apparent on the arrogant man's face, the severity of his position becoming more obvious. "Y-your Highness, I mean no disrespect to you and your concerns, but I have no way of helping you find Justin. I just don't know anything about it." Craig masked his contempt hoping to effect an air of innocence, at least enough that the king would question his distrust of him. "I arrived at this meeting in great turmoil. First, I had to watch as my wife was taken away, then to find out my son is missing. I am truly not thinking properly, My King."

 

The king began to laugh, totally devoid of humor. Then, he shook his head, his stomach turning in disgust. "You sicken me! How soon you forget what I have witnessed, and only since my arrival. You struck your son before my eyes... a young man that belongs to me! Have you no understanding of what that means, and how lucky you are that I have not reciprocated in kind!?" Watching as Sir Taylor's eyes widened in horror, the king continued, "and then there is your wife. You obviously have mistreated her as well. She didn't resist leaving with my men. Granted, it could be so she can be near Justin, but I think we both know it's more than that. You are repulsive and unrepentant... and I do NOT trust you!"

 

"Y-your Highness, what can I do to prove myself to you? I- I know my behavior since your arrival has offended you. I offer my most sincere apology..." Craig could barely speak the pleading words. He despised this king and the life that he lived. Speaking words of honor and respect were physically revolting to him... however, he knew this wasn't the time to stand on his own principles. His life was falling apart in the span of a few hours. He had to think about self-preservation.

 

Opening his mouth to savage the immoral, and in his opinion - deceitful man, Brian's attention turned to the door being abruptly opened, Emmett bursting inside with a piece of paper waving in his flailing hand. Not the least bit in the mood for one of Emmett's dramatic tirades, Brian snapped, "What is it now?"

 

For appearances only, Emmett embellished a quick bow. "My King, the guards did a thorough search of Justin's rooms, they found this note in the closet. Apparently, he dropped it when hurriedly packing his things."

 

Brian's eyes narrowed on the small slip of paper. He knew it probably wouldn't hand his beautiful blond over to him, but it was his first clue; that being the case, it was invaluable to him. "Give it to me," the king demanded.

 

Nodding, and biting his lip hesitantly, Emmett handed the note over, fearful that this note would bring about harsh consequences for someone. The note would be an embarrassment to the king, and Brian would know that not only he had read it, but one of the guards as well. Justin, and in particular, the man that wrote the note, could be in for a harsh awakening.

 

His eyes moving over the note, the king's eyes darkened in rage. Red embers were glowing in them. His nostrils began to flare as so many possibilities began to swim in his mind. Did Justin have a lover? He read the note again. No, this appeared to be written by a stranger... but from one who admired his property far too devoutly. He looked to Ben, spitting out his first command. "Have one of the guards return Taylor to his rooms. You are coming with me!" He passed a scathing glance over Craig's suddenly still form. "I am not finished with you, Sir Taylor. I shall be returning!"

 

Brian stepped to the library doors in quick strides, "Ben, come with me!" He shared the note with Ben, shouting as he ascended the stairs to the guard that had been stationed outside of Justin's rooms. Time was not on their side. They couldn't be delayed now. "Which room?" he coldly demanded. When Brian followed the line of the guard's vision, the king burst into the room, his eyes thoroughly sweeping it in one glance. Brian saw the single rose that had been dropped on the bed, knowing without a doubt, a man had been in Justin's room and took him away. Beginning to swear in Arabic, Brian felt along the wall and found the opening that had been revealed in the note. He knew Justin was probably long gone from the Taylor estate, but they had to follow the trail. It was his only hope of finding Justin.

 

Ben placed a forestalling hand on the king's forearm, whispering for his ears alone, "My King, don't be too harsh with the young man. Clearly, he is frightened, and doesn't understand our ways."

 

Flicking Ben's hand away, Brian spat out, "The boy has disrespected me. He WILL be punished." His eyes pulled back to the rose that lay on the bed. "If this man has touched what is mine, he will suffer the most severe of fates!" Brian moved toward the secret passage, shouting back to his guards, "Leave an adequate amount of guards on the grounds in case Justin returns, but the rest are to meet me at the stable and we will begin our search from there. Quickly gather our provisions. We have lost too much time already..."

 

Ben dutifully followed the monarch through the hidden passageway, feeling in his heart that Justin would have a long road to travel to make up for his actions today. He only hoped the young man was safe... and remained untouched. Should neither be the case, he feared for each and every one of them, Justin most of all...

 

TBC