- Text Size +

 

Lady Jennifer paced in the surprisingly spacious living room of the cottage the king had strangely provided for her use. What was going on? Why had the king brought her here? No explanation had really been given, except the comforting words of ‘you will be safe now, Lady Jennifer.' That was good to know, but why had the king taken such an interest in her safety? No one had in the past. It had been her and Justin against the demons that seemed to eat at her husband's soul. Now, Justin was the property of the king, and in a sense, she was dependent on him as well. But what happened now?

 

When the knock came at the front door, Jennifer rushed toward it in what was an uncustomary unladylike gait; at least, for her. She opened it, relieved when the kind guardsman that had escorted her to the king's palatial estate stood at the threshold. She stepped out onto the large porch, knowing present circumstances made her actions foolish but she continued to adhere to her standard behavior of not allowing a man inside when she was home alone. It hadn't been a factor for many years. She was never home alone... but now that seemed to be all she ever would be. After these past years with Craig, she didn't think that was such a bad thing. She smiled at the man that insisted on being called Tucker, she wasn't going to dispute the impropriety of doing that. "It's good to see you again, Tucker. Has something happened? Justin?" Her voice raised in alarm as the last thought occurred to her. Justin should be here now too. She couldn't help wondering how that was going.

 

"I'm sorry to bother you, Lady Jennifer. I just wanted to make certain you didn't need anything." Tucker paused, before saying, "The king was adamant about your comfort. I think I forgot to mention during the drive here, your housekeeper is to join you in a few days. She is to pack all of your belongings and hers and will be transported here. The king hoped that would be of comfort to you."

 

Jennifer gasped. She would have never thought that the king she had been told was so cold and uncaring would be so generous. "I'm shocked... and quite speechless. Thank you for letting me know, Tucker. That is of enormous comfort to me. And please, I don't go by my title here, nor do I wish to. Call me Jennifer."

 

Tucker pondered that, before shaking his head in regret. "I'm afraid I can't do that, ma'am. The king was very specific that you would be treated with respect. I'm sure that extends to following certain protocols as well."

 

"I don't see how calling me by my name when I have requested it is disrespectful to me." Jennifer arched her back and tilted her head up higher. "In fact, I think refusing to honor my wishes does disrespect me. So, what's it to be, Tucker? Are you going to blatantly disrespect me?"

 

Nervously, Tucker cleared his throat. Hell, it didn't seem to be a big deal, but would the king see it the same? Thankfully, he was on excellent terms with his king, and he pledged his complete loyalty to him. Disrupting that wasn't something he sought to do. Not now or ever. "As you wish... Jennifer. However, I will ask the king when he returns. Your wish might only be granted temporarily."

 

Jennifer frowned, the unease quickly gripping her chest. "You said when the king returns? Hasn't he returned with my son yet? Shouldn't they have been here several hours ago?"

 

Biting his lip, Tucker was uncertain of how much he should tell her. He doubted the king wanted to set panic in this lady, but he wouldn't want him to lie to her either. Realizing he had no choice with someone as intuitive as Lady Jennifer, Tucker opted for the truth. "Yes, Jennifer. Whether by horse or jeep, they should have arrived hours ago."

 

Her eyes were frantic, they were attentive to the only person that could give her any information. "Have you heard if anything is wrong?"

 

"I have had word that they are on the way now. Originally, it was to be by horse, but due to the unexpected delay, they are traveling by jeep now." He paused, uncertain how much the king wanted him to relay, but he expected since she was the honored guest of his beloved monarch, full disclosure was expected. "It appears that an escape attempt was made. Your son was tricked by some men that sought to use his naivety to gain riches from the king." As he viewed the tears generated from the fear she felt for her son's safety, Tucker hurriedly attempted to reassure her. "Jennifer, let me assure you, your son is safe and with the king now. They are on the way home. I believe that no harm came to him."

 

Jennifer sighed, a shudder of relief causing her entire body to tremble. She sat down on the wooden ivory swing that hung from the porch, delicately placing her head in her hands. "Justin... so brave and rebellious. I fear the wrath he will instill in our king."

 

Tucker smiled down at the sensitive lady, marveling at how she kept her composure at the onset of what to her had to be the most troubling of news. She was obviously a woman of high birth, placing great value on how she conducted herself. "From what I have derived so far, my lady, the king appears quite taken with your son." When she looked up at him, he could see a flush coloring her cheeks. He surmised that was more intimate knowledge than she wanted... but she would learn in time, the king was both outspoken and at times outrageous. She would grow used to his ways. "I'm sure these early days will be difficult. After all, Justin did attempt to flee and placed his life in danger in the process. They will need to move past that."

 

Jennifer nodded. "Justin can be very impulsive at times. I hope the king will be patient with him."

 

"I'm sure he will be." Tucker lowered his eyes, not nearly as confident in that statement. He had watched as the king gave his orders when Justin's disappearance had first been revealed. Never had he seen such rage in his eyes. On the first meeting, Justin had made an indelible impression. He could only imagine what the future might bring. "Another reason why I am here is that the king has instructed that you are to take all of your meals at his table; at least until your servant arrives. At that time, if you wish to eat in the seclusion of your cottage, that is your decision to make."

 

"The king's most generous." Jennifer inclined her head as she stood to her feet. "Thank you for bringing me news about Justin. I think I will rest for now. It has been a long and exhausting day."

 

"As you like." Tucker smiled warmly at the king's guest, in the back of his mind wondering how she and the queen would interact once Lindsay returned from one of her many trips abroad. A normal woman would enjoy the company... but there was nothing normal about the queen. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that some of the meetings to come could be extremely interesting. "Shall I pick you up for dinner, Jennifer? That would be in about two hours."

 

Jennifer smiled graciously. "That would be lovely, Tucker. I'm sure I will be hungry by then. Right now though, I just want to rest and catch my breath again."

 

"Very well. At that time, if I have any further news about Justin, I will share it with you."

 

"Thank you, Tucker. I would appreciate that." She smiled in farewell, and slipped back inside the cottage, mindful to lock the door behind her, uncertain of her new surroundings... and yet, feeling a sense of calm and safety, unlike anything she had felt since leaving her father's home so many years ago. It made no sense why she would instantly feel so safe here... but that was exactly how she felt. The only thing she needed to make her feel more at ease would be to see Justin. She hoped she could do that soon. Until then, her heart would be filled with worry.

 


 

"Careful there, my own." The king's voice was cold and mocking, his anger far from abated. He had just killed nearly a dozen men and incarcerated two others... all because this rebellious blond couldn't do as he had been told. His rebellious streak needed to be curbed... and soon. This kind of behavior would not be acceptable in his home. "Slide any further and the desert might pull you through the window..."

 

Justin grunted. "It would be a more acceptable fate. And stop calling me that. I don't belong to you!"

 

"Hmm. I have a paper that says otherwise. Shall I read it to you?" the king asked, his eyes watchful on his newest possession, ignoring the amusement passing between his driver and Benjamin. "No?" he asked when Justin looked away from the window to glare at his captor. "That's fine. Conversation isn't what most comes to mind when I look at you."

 

His eyes narrowed on the monarch that openly leered at him, the only thing stopping him from bursting free with harsh expletives was the witnesses in the front seat. His mother descended from royalty; whereas he had never lived that life, she had tutored him on decorum. She had instructed him from a young age that it wasn't beyond the realm of possibility that he would be exposed to that life one day. If he was, as his mother, it was her duty to see that he was prepared for it. That being the case, he knew he couldn't go too far in disrespecting the king in front of his men. He had no way of knowing if they had the kind of loyalty not to speak out to others. "I wouldn't get my hopes up... if I were you."

 

"Well, you are not me." Brian looked away from his blond beauty, and out the side window, frowning at the wind rippling the sands of the Arabian Desert. "Benjamin?" he called out. "Is there a sandstorm around us?"

 

The driver who was fluent in Arabic and English, looked out his window, eyes widening on the increased winds. He looked in Ben's direction, knowing the king's most skilled guard and advisor would have the right answer.

 

"I don't believe so, Your Highness. The winds have shifted since we departed. It appears to be moving away from us... and in the direction of the Taylor home."

 

"No!" Justin protested. "We need to go back. My mother..."

 

The king looked at the young man, smiling indulgently at him. He hadn't been planning to tell Justin the details of his mother's new living accommodations until they arrived home, but he figured now was a good time. "Justin, calm yourself regarding your mother. I discovered many things in your father's home that didn't sit well with me. She was in the process of being removed at the time of your disappearance."

 

"And taken where?" Justin demanded, his voice unwisely rising and becoming more aggressive.

 

"Lower your tone, young hellion. Remember you are speaking to your king... and your owner!" Brian spat out, determined this rebellious beauty accepted his place and immediately began extending him the proper respect.

 

Justin glared at the king, uncaring of proper decorum now. He was doing so well, but the man just made his blood boil in unbelievable ways. "No matter what that piece of paper says, you will NEVER own me. I didn't sign it; therefore, to me, it means nothing!"

 

In the front seat, Ben and the king's driver exchanged a look that was a mixture of amusement and fear. They had never heard anyone speak to the monarch in such a manner. It was forbidden, a crime that could entail severe punishment, banishment included. They both found themselves wondering if this was just the beginning of such occurrences, and if so, how long the young man would survive.

 

"This will be the last time I warn you, Justin. I will NOT be spoken to in such a disrespectful manner. I don't care if you resent your new way of life. I can make it a paradise... or I can make it hell. It's your choice." Brian's eyes glittered as he surveyed the unyielding and clearly hostile blond. "Now, if you want to know about your mother, I expect you to talk to me with civility. I will accept nothing less than that!"

 

Taking a deep breath, knowing that he had no other choice; at least, in the presence of witnesses, Justin gritted his teeth and forced back every vile curse he wished to hurl at the arrogant king's head. There would be time for that later. He had already sensed that the king would show more leniency when they were one-on-one. When that time came, he would make sure that desire was the last thing on the king's mind. "My apologies, Your Highness. Would you please tell me about my mother?"

 

The king had to force himself to remember what they were discussing as his eyes hungrily watched those full and tempting lips as Justin spoke, the flash of continued fire in the deep blue eyes not helping his attention either. Justin possessed the most beautiful facial features of any man he had ever known... and he had known a great many of them. It was difficult to keep in mind that now was not the time to pounce. He knew if he did, Justin would lash out; then, discipline would be required. For now, he needed to maintain control. Things would be different once they arrived home. And if his calculations were correct, that would be less than an hour from now. Right now though, he wanted nothing more than to smash those pouting and argumentative lips beneath his own... showing the young man in no uncertain terms how much he was desired. And to be desired so devoutly by his king was an immense honor. In time, Justin would see that and beg for his attention. "Your mother is fine," Brian answered in a hoarse voice, his lust building the more that he looked at the perfection that now belonged to him. "I had her moved to a cottage not far from my own home."

 

"On the same grounds?" Justin asked in excitement, a beaming smile suddenly curving his lips, the blue eyes suddenly alive and happy. At that moment, that was the most beautiful thing the king had ever seen.

 

"Yes." His lust making him tense and extremely out of sorts, the king snapped, "Don't think that her close proximity means you get to hide away with her. I moved your mother to ensure her safety... not to be your constant companion. After your behavior today, your visits to her will only be when I have deemed you worthy. Right now you are not..."

 

Justin bit back the cutting retort he wished to make, in actuality, surprised at his restraint. "For now, what matters most is that she is safe." Somewhat begrudgingly, Justin added, "Thank you for helping her."

 

"Your gratitude isn't necessary; at least, not for that. I do not condone the known abuse of women or children. I have the feeling your father did so on a regular basis." Brian gritted his teeth as he thought of Craig Taylor. If not for Justin's escape, he would have either taken him into custody for further questioning or he would still be there, picking him apart. His instincts told him that Sir Taylor would be standing before him again.

 

Uncertain if he should make the revelation, but feeling no loyalty to his father, Justin turned to look at the king, not surprised to find the monarch's eyes steady on him. After witnessing the king's savagery, at least indirectly through the other side of the tent, when he had brutally taken out Sapperstein's guards, he realized his father could suffer the same fate. Did he hate him enough to provoke that? In any case, Craig Taylor didn't deserve to be protected; most especially, not by him.

 

"You have something to tell me, Justin?" the king asked, his eyes thoughtful on the younger man. He could clearly discern that something weighed heavily on his mind. As he watched the hesitancy, mixed with slight fear in the blond's eyes, he knew it was of great significance. "If something happened while you were in Sapperstein's care, I can and will avenge it!"

 

Justin bit his lip. "It's not like that. Sapperstein did take liberties that I doubt you would approve of... but..."

 

"What kind of liberties?" the king snarled, knowing they probably shouldn't be having this conversation here and now, but the thought of Sapperstein touching Justin enraged him in ways he couldn't even begin to comprehend.

 

In the front, Ben groaned, in the back of his mind praying they would arrive home soon, and the king would be distracted. At this point, he could envision the king decreeing they advance to the prison and order the immediate execution of the new prisoners.

 

"Basic intimidation really. He touched me." When the king began to swear, Justin clarified, "It was through my clothes. He made me ride on the horse with him. Sapperstein used every opportunity to grope me. Then, there was an exam by the doctor. I knew if the doctor professed I wasn't innocent, he was going to rape me before selling me to you."

 

"The doctor is loyal to me. I was already heading in the right direction, but his help secured my success." Brian gritted his teeth, in his mind thinking of all the torture to soon befall Gary Sapperstein. The man was the definition of all that he hated in a man. Putting him to death would be a pleasure. "What about the other man? Did he touch you?"

 

Justin smiled. "Tomas was actually my first kiss. He worked for my father years ago. My father terminated him when he found out about the kiss." Justin didn't see how the king's eyes darkened at the admission, his mind wrapped up in the story he now told. "He tricked me from the start. Tomas wrote the letter that gave me the courage to run. He was working with Sapperstein, and tried to be as intimidating... but he didn't take the same liberties. I believe he did have a crush on me, and in the end, he wanted out of his deal. One moment he would be menacing, mostly when Sapperstein was right there, and other times he seemed remorseful. I never quite figured him out."

 

"It doesn't matter. In my eyes, he is guilty!" Brian's eyes narrowed at the tension that still defined the younger man. That wasn't all. He was certain there was more. "What else?"

 

Justin swallowed. He knew this would bring about a war on his father, but if his father had gone to this extent to be rid of him, what would he do when he realized his plan had failed? Being silent could be a risk to both him and his mother. He couldn't take that chance. "In a moment when they were trying to make me feel my most helpless, they revealed who had paid them to take me away. Someone that wanted me gone before you could take me to your home." Closing his eyes when he heard the king growling in response to the additional betrayal, he finished, "They revealed it to be my father."

 

Brian turned his gaze from Justin, staring out the window, thankful they were closer to home. He had much to do upon his return, claiming his beautiful new possession only part of it... and unfortunately, probably not the first thing on his agenda. He had business to take care of... and a war to finish. "Thank you for your candor, Justin. After dinner, I will allow you to have a short visit with your mother. I will be busy during the next few days dealing with my enemies." Brian turned to look intently at Justin, his lips set in a stern, uncompromising line. "Don't think you are vindicated, my own. I will still deal with your part in this. For now though, I must deal with those that have betrayed me, and endangered what is mine."

 

Justin nodded before looking out the window, in this instance, he knew silence was the most beneficial to him. He had scored one victory, and he would take that for now. He would see his mother. That would be enough for now.

 

Ben's eyes closed as he absorbed this new information. It could have just been a ploy of Justin's captors to control him, but after meeting Craig Taylor, he didn't think so. The man was cold, and in his eyes, completely vindictive. It was rare that he didn't find any redeemable qualities in another man, but he had found none in Sir Taylor. The bloodshed was far from over.

 

TBC