- Text Size +

 

Brian stepped from his dressing room, his official suit and robe neatly in place, his eyes briefly moving over the lump that was still entangled in the sheets on his well-used bed from the previous night. It was with regret that he couldn't discard his numerous responsibilities and rejoin his hot little slave in bed, introducing the young man to even more erotic pleasures. Sadly, this wasn't the time. For a long moment, he stood looking at him, knowing that decisions needed to be made regarding his sleeping quarters - none of them pleasing the territorial beast that raged within him.

 

One thing was a certainty. Now that Justin was out of danger, he couldn't remain with him or in the tower. The king's bed chambers were private. A slave entered to serve his king. They did not sleep with him. At least, not on a recurring basis. His options were limited. He either installed him in his own rooms in the house, something that would bring scrutiny on him - should the knowledge of the contract be made known... or he placed him with his other pleasure slaves. The latter was abhorrent to him. Just the very thought of one of his slaves looking on Justin with lust in their hearts filled him with an unforgiving rage. This was one of many difficult decisions he needed to make, and one that he needed to make soon.

 

Shaking his head, realizing he wouldn't make his decision by watching Justin sleeping in his bed, as he continued to yearn to strip and rejoin him to claim what belonged to him, the king proceeded to the door, gritting his teeth as he addressed his guard, while relieved he could relax Justin's security, a part of him feared the consequences of Justin abusing his new freedom. The last thing he wanted to do was punish Justin, or act in a manner that would renew Justin's rebellious nature. He hoped that Justin would be practical, and make his choices wisely. This day could be quite the test for his beautiful slave. He was both curious and anxious to see what path Justin would take.

 

Once outside his suite of rooms, he advised his guards, "I will be in meetings most of the morning. Emmett will be arriving soon to spend the day with Justin. He is free to explore the palace and the grounds as he pleases. No one is to interfere with that."

 

As his guards responded to their understanding of his orders, Brian walked away, hoping that his special slave didn't take advantage of his new mobility. He felt that they were on relatively good terms now, but that could change in an instant with this volatile young man. Hopefully, Emmett could keep Justin on track, with one objective in mind - being pleasing to his king. However, knowing Justin as he already did, he knew it wouldn't be as simple as that.

 

Stepping into his office, he nodded curtly to the guard, before rolling his eyes at his first appointment of the day. Michael. The king shook his head at the sight Michael made of pacing in the waiting area, apparently fearful of facing a firing squad. "Michael!" he barked, laughter erupting when Michael jumped several feet from the floor. "Come inside, and close the door behind you."

 

Not waiting to see his orders being carried out, Brian stepped into his office, moving immediately behind his desk, taking a seat as he waited for Michael to join him, his head shaking again at Michael's nervous and extremely hesitant approach. "Relax, Michael. You aren't in any trouble."

 

Michael looked at the king skeptically. Not in any trouble? Why would he be summoned here first thing in the morning? Especially after his outrageous banter with the queen in the secret room the previous night... "I apologize, Your Highness; I just thought that after last night... the queen... the r-room, and everything that happened..."

 

Taking a deep breath, the king looked at the other man in understanding, although still irritated that this meeting would take longer than he'd planned. Michael was in need of pacifying, and in order to get the answers he wanted, he would need to calm his nerves first. "Michael, I realize you were out of place in how you handled Lindsay; however, I know she is skilled at pushing the wrong buttons and at the most inopportune of times. I am not here to condemn you for your actions." Brian chuckled almost morosely. "Lindsay would tempt the patience of a saint, and I know neither one of us are that..."

 

At once, Michael relaxed. The king was joking with him. Everything was fine. "I was worried that Lindsay would make everything worse than it was... and admittedly, it was bad enough."

 

"I haven't met with her yet, but I do know how much she tends to embellish. I was hoping to get the substance of what happened from you - since you were an active party... and I know that you will do so with complete candor." Brian's voice was stern, yet with a degree of compassion for the man that he knew had played a role in Lindsay's misconduct, realizing he probably had his own reasons.

 

"I will do my best." Michael's eyes were wide and focused on the king, trying to read his every expression, fearful that his understanding could turn without warning.

 

Nodding, Brian continued. "I'm not seeking to hear who said what, or who started the conflict, my interests are primarily regarding my son. I want to know if my son was awake during any of her tirades, and if so, what kind of damage control am I facing?"

 

"I'm not entirely sure, Your Highness." Michael's eyes widened when the king flared into immediate anger. He knew he needed to explain his answer quickly. "What I mean by that, is that I don't know how deep of a sleeper Gus is. They say people can hear a lot in their subconscious; I have no way of knowing how much Gus heard then. At the time we thought he was asleep, things were very loud and hostile."

 

"I see..." the king hissed. "I suppose it doesn't really matter if Gus was asleep or not. Lindsay is his mother and she shouldn't have taken such a risk." His eyes narrowed on the nervous man. "Neither of you took my son's presence into consideration."

 

Michael couldn't argue that point. "You're right; I can't deny my part in that. The things she was saying to Justin, and then his mother who I can see is a true lady, enraged me to a point where I just couldn't hold back."

 

"I don't need the specifics, but can you give me an idea of what she said?" Brian asked, rubbing at his temple, already determining that this would be a long morning.

 

"Basically, she did her standard routine of belittling everyone around her, Justin in particular. She blamed him for her isolation, stating that if he hadn't set out to incur your jealousy and favor, this night wouldn't have happened. Then, she went on to say that he would only be one of many and that it would never change. I'm sorry to say that part was when Gus was awake and sitting with Justin."

 

Brian cursed, both in English and Arabic, causing Michael's face to pale in the process. He slammed his palm down on the desk, momentarily oblivious to Michael's surprised gasp. When he looked up and noticed Michael's pallor was even lighter, he held up his hand to wave away his concern. "My anger is directed at Lindsay, not at you, Michael."

 

"Well, I'm glad to hear that... but I haven't finished. After Justin's mother admonished Lindsay for her improper behavior in front of Gus, I made a remark about Lady Jennifer tutoring the queen in some manners and decorum. Lindsay started screaming then."

 

Unable to stop himself, Brian started to laugh, although he realized there was nothing humorous in this disastrous situation. "I would have enjoyed watching that... if my son hadn't been present."

 

"I guess it was funny seeing her totally freak out." Michael laughed for a moment, then smiled with a slight head shake when he remembered how Gus managed the situation. "I don't think she would have stopped if not for Gus' intervention."

 

"Gus? What did he do?" Brian asked in surprise, displeased that his son had been involved in this encounter in any way.

 

"It was the strangest thing I've ever seen. He simply walked over to his mother, was understanding about her situation, but ridiculed her for her treatment of everyone else in the room. At that moment he seemed years older, too much really, but what he said worked. He forced an apology out of her, although it was grudgingly given." Michael shook his head as he remembered the scene exactly, still unable to believe how effortlessly Gus had taken charge of his mother.

 

Brian frowned, uncertain how he felt about that development. Gus was acting far too mature for his age, and he would need to sit him down and determine the best solution. His childhood was rapidly passing, and he was missing it. He realized that was probably the result of the teaching he had received, and seeing how his father conducted himself, but Gus' rule was many years from now. It was time to slow things down. "Thank you for your honesty, Michael. I know I won't get the same from Lindsay; at least, not without dragging it out of her. This saves me a great deal of time and effort."

 

Michael stood to his feet, sensing their meeting was nearly over, a sigh of relief escaping that the king seemed to believe his side of the story. "Your Highness? Do you actually believe me? Without questioning any of the others first?"

 

"Of course I do. I have no reason to doubt you. And Michael, I am a very astute man. I can read people extremely well. I know when someone attempts to deceive me. After watching your face as you told your story, it was so real that I felt I was there in the room. Lies never have such an effect."

 

"You are extremely wise, and Tehara is fortunate to have you as our king." Michael bowed to the waist, rising when the king inclined his head, knowing that he had been given a silent permission to leave. "Before I go, could I ask a favor of you?" When the king nodded impatiently, Michael hurried, more than aware that the ruler was pressed for time, and upsetting him was the last thing he wanted to do. "I wonder if you had some sort of job that I could do around here. I feel a bit awkward that I am just here, not contributing in any way."

 

"You are Benjamin's mate and a trusted companion to my son. You contribute more than you realize." Briefly giving the matter some thought, the king hastened to answer, "I will think about it and get back to you. At the moment, I have serious matters to attend to, but I'm sure I can find something for you.

 

Michael smiled, realizing Lindsay's reference of calling him a sponge had been taken to heart more than he'd thought it had. Not only did he think this was the right thing to do, but he was also eager for both a challenge and a passage of time when Ben was working. All in all, he thought it to be a very positive thing. "I look forward to hearing about it. Good day, My King."

 

"Good day, Michael." Brian watched as Michael left, immediately pressing a button that would connect him to Lindsay's suite of rooms. "I wish to see you now, Lindsay. Do NOT keep me waiting!"

 


 

Justin walked with Emmett through the palace corridors, peering with interest into each room as they passed, unable to believe the beauty and simplicity within. The decor was elegant while being conservative, everything aligned perfectly without anything out of place. The king obviously employed an extremely proficient staff. They took pride in their work, and it was obvious from a mere glance. "The king's home is quite beautiful. I guess you get some of the credit for that since you oversee the running of it."

 

"Well, I do love design, although the king doesn't allow me to make it as vibrant as I'd like." Emmett clapped his hands enthusiastically, his eyes nearly dancing in excitement as he looked around the spacious sitting room. "There are so many things I could improve upon." Emmett sighed dramatically. "Maybe someday. And don't forget that this is your home now too."

 

Looking at his guide with an upraised brow, Justin corrected, "Actually, you mean prisoner..."

 

Emmett gasped, his tongue clicking in censure. "Hardly that, Justin." Waving his hands around dramatically, Emmett gave a reminder. "You are walking around the house unencumbered. Free to do the same on the grounds. I'm merely with you to guide you in your passage. Your lockdown is officially over."

 

Shaking his head, Justin wished that to be true but knew it wasn't his reality. "We both know that could change at the king's whim. I don't care what that ridiculous piece of paper states - I am not destined to be the king's slave. Until he accepts that and makes reparation, we can't move forward."

 

"Justin, I won't say that I agree with the circumstances that have brought you here, but despite that, I don't see where it has been such a hardship either." Emmett smiled at the younger man, hoping Justin would see the good as well as the bad. "Sometimes a man has to play the hand that fate deals him, and not contest how the cards fall. It is clear that the king is deeply fascinated by you. Play your cards right, Justin, and you could win the king's heart, along with so much more. Don't lose sight of that..."

 

TBC