- Text Size +

 

Jasmine sat next to Gus in the tower room, tears sliding down her face. She didn't even wipe them away, not the least bit ashamed of them. "I can't believe she tried to kill you, Gus. How can anyone be that mean?"

 

"I don't know, Jasmine," Gus whispered, his voice appearing disheartened, eyes downcast, knowing he wasn't being much comfort to his sister. "I've always known she didn't care about me... but I never expected any of this."

 

Justin watched them closely, frowning at how Gus held in his emotions. Despite the monster Lindsay had been, she was still the only mother he had ever known. He couldn't fathom that Gus didn't have any feelings to release. "You know, Gus, if you want to cry, or yell, or do anything at all, you just have to do it." Justin smiled at the future king reassuringly, "I promise not to tell anyone."

 

Gus' bottom lip quivered, his eyes angry, his head shaking in determination. "No. My father never cries, so I can't either. I have to be like him."

 

"You are like him, Gus - strong, and so incredibly brave." He glanced over at Jasmine who seemed to be listening attentively but staring blindly ahead, her eyes not focused on anything or anyone. "Both of you are like your father. With Jasmine, I see it in her temper."

 

"Yeah, I think you're right, Justin. They both get mad really quickly."

 

"That's not so!" Jasmine exploded. When she noticed Justin and Gus smirking at each other, she laughed for a moment. "Well, only when people are stupid."

 

Justin smiled at them, unable to believe how much he loved these children that weren't even his. He couldn't understand it at all. They were both a part of Brian, and he assumed that was a large part of it, but on all counts, these two were simply special. He hoped he would have many moments with them in the years to come. "It's good to see you smile. You have both been through so much. I hope there are better days ahead now."

 

Gus raised his head, turning it to look at his sister, nodding emphatically, before he spoke with determination. "They will be." Returning his attention to Justin, Gus asked him, "When can we check on Father? I want to see him."

 

"I- I want to see him too..." Jasmine spoke, her voice cracking, as tears rolled down her face even more fiercely. "I've given him nothing but trouble since I got here. I'm surprised he wants anything to do with me."

 

"Jasmine, don't think that. Ever!" Justin answered fervently. "Your father loves you so much. Learning of your existence and finding you has really changed his life... and for the better. Don't ever doubt that! Your father is a fearless leader, but inside of these walls, he is a father that is devoted to his children. In time, you'll really see that."

 

Gus nodded. "Yeah, Justin is right, Jasmine. I swear you will love him as much as I do..."

 

"I always wondered what having a father would be like, but I had no idea he would be a king." Jasmine smiled and shook her head. "I really want to know him."

 

"And you will." Justin stood to his feet, smiling reassuringly at both of them. "I will see what I can find out about your father. I know the doctor was called and is probably still with him. Even if we can't see him, I'm sure I can find out how he's doing."

 

"Thank you." Jasmine smiled tremulously at Justin, trust shining in her eyes. As Justin looked at her, he felt his heart slightly contract. Something was amazing about seeing that look of trust in a child's eyes. It wasn't anything he had ever thought about before, but now, being on the receiving end, it melted his heart. "I'll be back soon." As an afterthought, Justin added, "Perhaps you would be more comfortable waiting in your rooms, which are next to Gus'. You will be closer to your father than you are in the tower."

 

"That's a good idea, Justin." Gus' eyes lit up in excitement, as he thought about it. "Would you like to see my rooms? There are many things that I can show you about our family history and photos too..."

 

Jasmine shrugged. "Uhhh, sure. I guess so." When Gus appeared disappointed, she softened her answer, "I am interested, Gus. What happened to our father is on my mind more."

 

"I understand..." Gus answered solemnly. "Perhaps this will help. You can learn more about our father while we wait. And I was there when Father was shot. I know he's going to be okay."

 

Justin listened closely to their ongoing discussion, a slight smile curving his lips. Jasmine was already exhibiting feelings for her father, whether the child realized it or not. Now that Lindsay was out of the way, he could see a smooth path to this family coming together. He was just glad he was fortunate enough to watch it all play out. "I'll check in with you soon. In the meantime, don't worry too much. I was there too. I know the king will recover, barking at everyone in the process."

 

Gus laughed. "Yes, he will."

 

Silently, he watched the children leaving the tower, quickly he did the same. Hurriedly, he approached the king's rooms, assuming they would be tending to him there. He knew he was correct when he observed Ben guarding the room himself. Justin wasn't the least bit surprised. Ben was completely devoted to his king. After seeing him shot, Ben would certainly go over and beyond. Clearing his throat, Justin nervously asked, "I-is the doctor still with him?"

 

Ben shook his head. "No, he left a few minutes ago. The king is sedated and resting comfortably."

 

"I see." Justin frowned. "I was hoping to see him, and the children wanted to do the same."

 

"If you want to take them in to sit with him, I'm sure that's fine." Easily determining the concern on Justin's face, Ben continued, "Thankfully, the bullet passed through the king's leg. He lost some blood, but nothing major. Had he walked to the jeep as he'd wanted, that could have been more extensive. The doctor stitched him up and gave him an injection for the pain. He advised that the king probably would sleep through the day and night."

 

Justin sighed deeply. "I can't tell you how relieved I am. I knew he would be fine, but it's comforting to hear that it wasn't more serious."

 

Ben smiled at Justin, his expression all-knowing. "Perhaps it would be best if the king rested and visited with the children later, but if you want to peek in on him, just to see for yourself, I can see no problem with that."

 

"Thank you, Ben..." A lone tear slid down Justin's cheek, unable to adequately convey how much just seeing Brian resting would mean to him. "He means a lot to me."

 

"I know that, Justin, and I think His Highness feels exactly the same about you." Ben couldn't deny to himself how much Justin had changed life within the palace, sensing that the former slave would be here for a very long time. "The nurse is sitting with him, but I'm sure she will give you some privacy."

 

Justin answered with a beaming smile, opening the door quietly, before turning to whisper, "I won't stay long." Closing the door, Justin moved through the rooms, silently advancing to the king's bedchamber. In the doorway, Justin paused as he took in the sight of the larger-than-life ruler motionless in the bed, with both an IV and blood slowly dripping into his body. Tears rolled down his face as he took in the sight of Brian lying so vulnerable, the total opposite of how he knew him to be.

 

Standing to her feet, the nurse smiled at Justin, gesturing him toward the chair she had been sitting in. Softly, she told him, "I'm going to stretch my legs for a bit while you visit. The king probably won't wake up for a few more hours at least, but go ahead and talk to him. I know he will hear you."

 

Justin nodded, biting at his bottom lip. "Thank you. I won't stay for long; I just needed to see that he was okay."

 

"Not to worry. The king is strong. This was a minor injury. His body just needs to rest and heal."

 

When she left, Justin took the offered seat, unable to resist reaching out to grasp Brian's hand that was without attachments and resting on top of the blankets. "I'm here, Brian. The children are anxious to see you, but I guess that can wait until tomorrow."

 

Justin watched Brian's chest rising and falling as he took even breaths, wishing he could look into his beautiful hazel eyes, but knowing that rest was what Brian needed the most. Unable to stop the words from escaping, Justin whispered, "I love you, Brian. I can't imagine a life without you in it." Justin laughed shakily. "Who would order us around?" Justin shook his head, unable to grasp the totality of his feelings for this man, and for his children as well.

 

His life had changed from the moment Brian had hunted and captured him. It had continued to change since then, and he had the feeling, this was only just the beginning...

 

TBC