- Text Size +

 

Justin's eyes slowly opened, the glare of the early morning sun causing him to squint as he became accustomed to the morning brightness of his new living quarters. He scowled as he looked in the direction of the oval-shaped window. It was apparent, as long as he resided within the tower, this was how he would wake up each day. He scowled as he thought about it. Even though he realized the king would have no knowledge of the fact, he found his placement ironic being how much he abhorred the early morning. It was just a cruel twist of fate that - that choice had also been ripped away. Sleeping in would be virtually impossible now. Yet another inconvenience of his unwanted new life.

 

Sitting up, Justin stretched, wondering what he would do with his days, locked up and with nothing to pass the time. He refused to think about the nights. The king had been very clear about his expectations. Perhaps he could push him as he had last night. There wasn't any doubt in his mind that the king had been looking for much more than a casual touch. By provoking him to lose control, he had gained his dismissal. He couldn't help wondering how often that could be effective.

 

Standing to his feet, Justin moved around the rooms, thankful at least that the rest of the accommodations had been fully set up for use while he had been at dinner, then later on, with the king. When he had arrived, he had been told nothing was ready, that these rooms hadn't been used in years. Justin grunted. The king's slaves must be mindless puppets that jumped through hoops for the opportunity to please him. He would assume those men were located in a more central area, available for his Majesty's varied desires. That would never be him.

 

After he had left the king last night, sleep had come very slowly for him. He kept seeing those hazel eyes, essentially eating him alive. Even more than that was the remembrance of the fingers that lightly touched his face and the shivers that had coursed down his spine when he had felt them rubbing circles into his skin. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that he needed to keep as much distance as possible between them. The monarch was clearly a very experienced man, one that knew all sorts of tricks to seduce and conquer. He wouldn't be one of those men. It wasn't in him to be subservient to any man. He wouldn't start with the domineering king.

 

Seeing that a change of clothing had already been laid out on the bathroom vanity, Justin looked around, amazed that all of his favorite grooming essentials had been provided, including his favorite body soap, shampoo, and even deodorant. How had that been managed in such a short amount of time? The king was certainly thorough in his pursuits. No matter what the king did, he would remember one important factor - every kind thing that the king did for him had an ulterior motive... making him susceptible to his vast charms and turning into a mindless puppet like the rest of his slaves. As he stepped into the shower, Justin promised himself that would never happen.

 


 

Emmett knocked lightly on the king's door, immediately letting himself in following the monarch's gruff summons. "Good morning, my lord." Emmett bowed to the waist, smirking at the eye roll that followed, mindful that his friend, albeit his king, frowned upon that protocol from him when they were in a private setting. Despite their closeness, at times he felt awkward about the lack of propriety. Granted, they were the best of friends; however, one factor still remained. Not only was Brian an extremely powerful man, but he was also King Bruhier, ruler of a vast land.

 

"Have a seat and give me a quick report. I am leaving for the prison compound shortly." the king glanced at the time, not having to say that he would leave when he saw fit whether the report was short or long. He was the King of Tehara. He was not restricted to a timetable.

 

Nodding quickly, Emmett answered, "Justin seemed to have a restful night. Although, he was fussing about the sun shining into his face in the early morning hours." Emmett smiled in remembrance. "I don't think he is much of a morning person."

 

"I'll keep that in mind." Thoughtfully, Brian pondered the blond's unease. He did know the sun did shine brightly into the bedroom window. Perhaps a change would please the young man, although he would never admit to doing it for that reason. "See what you can do to resolve that problem. The boy is supposed to be comfortable within his confinement."

 

Emmett arched an eyebrow, smiling at his friend knowingly. "How generous of you to see to your new slave's comfort."

 

Brian shrugged, unwilling at the moment to respond to the baiting. "I can be a very generous master."

 

"Modest too," Emmett added. "I'll see what I can do for him. I do agree that the sunlight can be blinding from his bed."

 

"Indeed. Is he eating breakfast now?" Brian asked, uncertain why he felt the need to know every minor detail pertaining to Justin, only knowing that he felt compelled to ask.

 

"Yes, I just delivered a tray to his rooms. And I believe Tucker will be bringing Lady Jennifer to see him soon as well. You are being very generous to the young man, especially considering his rebellious behavior. I know you are trying to ease him into his new life while making it known that he is being punished in his seclusion; I only hope he settles down given time."

 

Brian nodded. "I hope so too. I am in a difficult position here, Emmett. I can't let him wander the palace after how he's disrespected me. I would look the fool before my people, within and outside of these walls. As the King of Tehara - I cannot have that!" When Emmett nodded his understanding, the king continued, "I am hoping Justin's mother will be a calming influence on him. Although I haven't spoken with her yet, I am told she is the definition of propriety. She is my best hope of having Justin behave as he should."

 

"I think you could be right; that is if Justin even listens to her. I spoke with him briefly before coming here to report in; I had the impression he was blocking out anything I had to say." Emmett remembered the conversation clearly. He knew that had been exactly what the blond had been doing.

 

"Let me guess, it was when you made any attempts to emphasize the positive in his life here..." the king didn't have a doubt of it. Justin wanted to think the worst of him and anything he touched. Bending him to his will would take time and patience. In the case of this hot-headed young beauty, he had the feeling his patience would be short-lived.

 

"He just needs time to adapt. Keep in mind how much his life has changed in a short amount of time. Justin had no idea of the contract until the day he came face to face with it. He's young, Brian. It's a lot for someone so young to take in." Emmett watched Brian's face closely, in the back of his mind wondering how often he would be playing the role of devil's advocate, with both the king and with Justin.

 

The king nodded curtly. "I am aware of that, Emmett. However, I am the king, and his insolence cannot be overlooked. Until he can act with more discretion, his living quarters will remain the same." Standing to his feet, Brian declared this meeting at an end. He needed to deal with both Sapperstein, and Justin's ardent admirer, quite certain the interrogations would be extensive, and with a final end for both of them. "I must go now. Have Tucker advise Justin's mother that I wish to meet with her once my business is finished."

 

"I think that will relieve Lady Jennifer's mind tremendously, My King." Opening the door, Emmett bowed to the waist, waiting until the king stepped through the doorway, before closing it firmly behind them. He followed at a distance, watching as the king met up with Ben, knowing his chief of security would be accompanying him to the prison. He wouldn't want to be either Sapperstein or the younger man that had lured Justin into his escape. No matter their intentions, both men had disrespected their king, a direct act of treason. There could be no vindication from that.

 


 

Jennifer walked around the rooms ensconced in the tower, a gasp of surprise falling from her lips. She spun around to meet Justin's somber expression. "This isn't bad at all, Justin. I expected a dire sight when I was told the king had placed you in the tower. It's very luxurious and quite spacious. I have the feeling the king is keen on space. The cottage he placed me in is the same."

 

"It doesn't matter how nice it is. This is still a prison, Mother. I can't leave unless he allows it..." Justin spat out, his eyes staring gloomily ahead.

 

"Justin..." his mother began in exasperation. "You haven't even been here for twenty-four hours yet. Think of how you have disgraced the king. I know you didn't mean to do that, and that you only wanted your freedom, but in the eyes of his people, you have betrayed him. This is a very mild punishment. Things could be much worse."

 

"I'm sure it's not over yet..." Justin grumbled, admitting to himself that his situation could be much worse, and he wondered if it would be - once the king started his nightly visits. "I only touched on this briefly last night at dinner, but you do understand why King Bruhier accepted the contract and took me? I know how you like to look away from all things unpleasant, but you need to be realistic, Mom. The king took me because he wants me in his bed."

 

Jennifer flushed brightly. She wasn't the least bit comfortable in having this discussion with anyone... most especially, not with her son. "I'm not having this conversation with you, Justin. It just isn't appropriate; however, I will say this much - I am not as naive as you and your father seem to think. I know that the king's marriage is in name only, to legitimize his heir... and that he is gay. When the time comes that the king addresses the issue, I think all you need to do is tell him that you're not interested in men. I don't believe he would push the issue in that case."

 

"Wow, Mom. You really don't have a clue!" Justin's face was incredulous as he looked at his mother. "Even Dad figured it out in time, and he barely ever looked at me except to ridicule me." Shaking his head, Justin told her, "If I told the king that, I would be lying. I'm sure in his world that's another act of treason!"

 

"What are you saying?" Jennifer implored, her eyes wide and urgent on her son, her instincts telling her what the answer was going to be.

 

"The reason my father victimized me so much was that he couldn't stomach his only child being queer. So, my big defense against the king's great desire for me is a bit of a moot point, Mom. It's a bit ironic that the person being offered to the king in that barbaric contract is as queer as the king receiving the gift. What are the fucking odds!?"

 

Jennifer gasped. "Justin! You really need to control your outbursts. Things are different now. You can't always say what's on your mind!"

 

"That's where I'm different, Mom. I can and will always speak my mind. I don't give a damn what the almighty king thinks!"

 

"Justin, more than anything I want to help you..." Jennifer's voice was pleading. "If you keep on like this, there's nothing I can do."

 

"I'm sorry, Mom. I shouldn't carry on like this; I know how you are about propriety and always doing the right thing. I've already disappointed you in my escape attempt." When she shook her head as if ready to deny it, Justin continued, "No, we both know it's true. I made a huge mistake in judgment, trusting people that had set me up for failure. And that brings up another point, something you need to know."

 

Jennifer sat on the loveseat by the wall opposite Justin's bed, she held her face in her hands, in deep dread, expecting the absolute worst. "What else, Justin?"

 

"Dad committed high treason against the king. I believe a party will probably be dispatched today to bring him before his majesty." Justin took a deep breath, knowing this could affect his mother in a variety of ways. "Dad planned my escape with the criminals that were apprehended. These men were savages, and I think at least one of them intended to rape me. He hired them to get me out of the country, simply because he couldn't stand the thought of me possibly becoming one of the king's lovers. You will have to accept that my father will soon be facing execution. I see no other resolution for him."

 

Jennifer began to sob, her cries intensifying when Justin sat down next to her and pulled her close. She cried for long moments until hiccups began to overcome her. "I-I don't deserve your compassion, Justin. I have been such a blind, ignorant fool. I am a horrible excuse for a mother..."

 

"Mom, look at me. That's not true!" Justin smiled at his mother, tears in his own eyes. "I don't blame you for that. You have always had a loving heart. If you are guilty of anything, it's in believing that there is good in everyone. That's not always the case. I just wanted you to know, and not be surprised when it happens."

 

Jennifer sighed, not even attempting to dry her tears. "I am so sorry, Justin. Craig deserves anything the king decrees. Please be careful. I couldn't bear it if something happened to you too."

 

Justin pulled his mother back into his arms, at this moment feeling more like the parent than the child. "Don't worry, Mom. I'm going to be fine. If I don't know anything else, I do know that the king would never hurt me. In fact, I have the feeling he would kill to protect me." He didn't elaborate that the king had already killed for him, and he wouldn't be surprised if the primitive king did so again.

 

TBC