- Text Size +

 

Brian felt his temper rising to what was probably a ridiculously unhealthy level. It wouldn't surprise him in the slightest if his face was now blood red. He didn't need to look to know Justin was directly behind him. Even though several feet separated them, he could simply feel him. Fuck. What the hell was this man doing to him? He never simply felt a man; at least, not without having his hands directly on them. Everything seemed to be different with Justin. The blond had a sensual aura about him that nearly overwhelmed any other presence in the room. Even now, as pissed as he was at Michael, he felt a degree of calm inside of him... not toward Michael, but more in regard to his overall state of being. He didn't understand it. In any event, he needed to file that away into the back of his mind. Dealing with Michael now took precedence.

 

"It's about damn time, Brian. I've been calling you all day!" Michael glared at the young blond standing close to his Brian, in his opinion, far too close for a business associate. His eyes narrowed on the man that stared back at him with chips of ice in his blue eyes, a recognition suddenly dawning on him. "I know you. I saw you the other night at Babylon." Michael turned accusing eyes in Brian's direction. "I can't believe you are ignoring me over some past trick. What the fuck, Bri?"

 

Oh fuck no, Justin thought to himself. He would allow Brian to play this unpleasant scene out - for now, but this insignificant little worm wouldn't malign him - to his face in the process. Undoubtedly, he believed Brian should stand on his own two feet and combat this problem. To be honest, a problem he thought Brian should have resolved when it first started, and not let it escalate to this proportion. That it was being brought into Brian's office was unfathomable to him. Such disrespect and lack of decorum didn't factor into his world. It was his hope that such occurrences were not commonplace for Brian. From what he had discovered so far, he didn't think they were. However, he was more than a little curious on how Brian would handle this confrontation - one that he sensed could spiral out of control.

 

Moving forward, but not in front of Brian, he stepped to his right side, intentionally choosing that side so he could look the smaller man directly into his wide and panicked eyes. "Let's get one thing straight. I am not, nor will I ever be classified as someone's trick. You may use that terminology with your little hookups - if you like," Justin's eyes slid over Michael in complete distaste, leaving no doubt that he would never be desperate enough to touch him, "however, that has nothing to do with me."

 

"Michael, leave Justin out of this." Brian glanced briefly at Justin, amazed and entranced by the savagery he viewed on his face. Justin was a force of nature. He couldn't comprehend all the facets of the man. On all counts, this man was remarkable. "This is between me and you."

 

Snorting, Michael spat out, "Only it isn't really. He is here with you; in fact, he is probably why you have been ignoring me all day. Since when do you trick at the office?"

 

Justin rolled his eyes. Another strike against Michael. He had completely disregarded what he had just told him. He wasn't prone to giving warnings, and he didn't plan on changing that with this misguided twit. The fallout was inevitable. He only hoped Brian understood when he had to take matters into his own hands. He closed his eyes, counting to ten slowly in his mind. Handle this, Brian... or I swear I will fucking destroy this asshole.

 

Brian swore, self-consciously running a hand through his hair. He couldn't quite deny Michael's accusation. After the torrid kiss he had just shared with Justin mere moments ago, he was sure he had to be showing some of the effects, whether it be his hair not immaculately groomed for the office, a wrinkle or two in his suit, or even lips that he knew were probably slightly swollen. Of course, none of that mattered. That wasn't Michael's business, and he needed to get that. "Not that it's any concern of yours, Michael, but Justin is a client. What I do or don't do in my office is none of your fucking business. You need to understand that now!"

 

Michael gasped, unsettled that Brian was being so harsh with him. It wasn't like him. Brian was like this with other people... but never with him. He turned his eyes angrily in Justin's direction, seeing nothing but icy contempt in his gaze. "This is all your fault..." Michael spat out. "Brian never treats me like this. I'm his best friend. You're nothing... absolutely nothing!"

 

Justin looked incredulously from Brian to Michael. This was unbelievable! He felt like he was caught in the middle of some teenage drama. He was a successful businessman, in fact, a multi-millionaire. Why was he participating in this juvenile bullshit? There was only one answer to be found. Brian Kinney. He was worth the baggage that now followed him. The realization astounded him. There had never been a man that he had deemed worthy of dealing with this type of nonsensical madness. The fact that Brian was exercising such patience with this little rodent meant that Brian did care about him. He did understand that, but he also knew people could push you to your limits, and have unreasonable expectations. That was clearly the case with Michael. Being kind and continuing to give him enough crumbs of himself wasn't going to be effective any longer. Perhaps it had in the past, but Michael seemed obsessive about Brian now, and it had nothing to do with friendship. "You need to handle this, Brian. This is out of control, and I think you know that. Now... Cynthia mentioned your accountant had an office and had some documents for me to sign. Perhaps now is a good time for me to do that."

 

Brian nodded. "Two doors down from where Cynthia left you to work. His nameplate will be on the door. Theodore Schmidt." He looked around the waiting area quickly. "I am assuming Cynthia is with him."

 

"I am still here!" Michael shouted, incensed at being treated like the odd man out. He grabbed at Brian's arm, trying to forcefully turn him to face him, determined that one way or another, he would win Brian's attention.

 

This time, it was Justin who began to swear, an uncharacteristic response for him. Justin took in a deep breath, determined not to lose his cool. At the moment, he wasn't certain he could exercise some much-needed control. Brian needed to finish this. If it became apparent that he could not... then, he would step in. Until then, he would bow out gracefully. It was his hope that Michael could be more rational if he could speak with Brian alone. He doubted it, but an abrupt turnaround was the only thing saving the repellent man from his own style of vengeful wrath. "I am going to sign the documents, and lock up the office I was using. I left my camera equipment and laptop inside." Justin's eyes lowered, before he lifted them again, giving a smile that was for Brian alone. "I won't be needing either for the rest of the day."

 

Brian nodded, his eyes narrowing on what he could see beyond the intimate and absolutely amazing smile. He was stunned by the conflict he read in Justin's eyes. Justin Taylor had the reputation of an uncaring player; in fact, that had been his first impression of him. They conducted themselves much the same in a social setting; although, Justin did seem to be okay with long-term relationships - Sean from California coming quickly to mind. The conflict that Justin was now openly expressing filled him with confusion. He could see the desire to detach himself from a situation that he knew wasn't his place to resolve, along with an even stronger look - the one of concern. Actually, it looked more like a man in protective mode. Justin had been staying so close by his side. At first, he had thought it had been to give him space as he dealt with Michael... but as he thought about it, him feeling Justin so close, and viewing him now, his stance was protective, with him ready to engage in battle at any moment. To say the least, it was mind boggling. "No, you won't..." Brian agreed. He clenched his teeth upon hearing Michael impatiently clearing his throat behind them, his tone harsher than he wanted, "I won't be long. As soon as you are finished with Ted, I should be ready to go."

 

Justin's eyes heated, more than anxious for what was to follow, determined not to allow an idiot like Brian's friend to totally disrupt the euphoric feeling of finally reaching his goal. Extending his hand, Justin trailed it soothingly down the front of Brian's shirt, mindful not to get too intimate. Once Michael was gone, though, his overtures would change tremendously. "I'll be right back. Handle your situation." Justin looked in disgust at Michael. "I want your full attention afterward."

 

Brian rolled his lips under, fully aware of what Justin was doing. Conniving little fucker. He was none so subtly staking a claim in front of Michael's watchful and venomous eyes. If any other man attempted that, he would verbally rip them to ribbons... but Justin Taylor, he was a breed all of his own.  "Not to worry, Taylor. You'll have it."

 

Justin winked, before turning on his heel and heading back down the hallway. He didn't have to look in Michael's direction to know what the besotted man would have seen. It was a simple question of if Michael was going to accept what his eyes had clearly shown him. A special moment was just shared between him and Brian. Only a fool wouldn't see that. He had to wonder, though, how much of a fool was Michael?

 

Michael gasped with his mouth wide open as Justin walked away, turning to face Brian in utter disbelief. "Who the hell does he think he is? I'm your best friend! I think I should demand an apology."

 

Shocked, and amused within any sort of rational belief, Brian burst out laughing, his laughter growing even more boisterous when Michael gave him his standard look of confusion. "Yeah, you don't get the joke... but you wouldn't understand someone like Justin Taylor. However, go for it, Mikey. Demand an apology from Justin. Before you do, though, allow me to pop the popcorn, get a drink; and then, I will settle in for the show." Continuing to laugh, Brian leaned back against Cynthia's desk for leverage, afraid the fits of laughter would knock him off of his feet. "I guarantee you, that would be better than any live show I have ever paid money to see..."

 

"You don't have to be an ass, Brian. I don't know the kid; how am I to know how he will react to anything?" Michael crossed his arms across his chest, a pout forming on his bottom lip, his eyes trying to be as soulful as they could be as he looked at his best friend, the man he loved. "I can't believe you would mock me. I just lost David... and then, I tell you that I've always loved you, and you throw your latest trick in my face." Michael's arms lifted to flail in the air. "When do I get my chance?"

 

"With me?" Brian snapped, his humor immediately vanishing at Michael's petulant tirade. "I can answer that in one word. NEVER! I thought I made that more than clear last night."

 

Michael rushed forward, knowing it was now or never. He doubted he had much time before the hot shot blond millionaire returned to ruin everything before it could even start. "Only because you won't give us a chance, Bri. No one knows you better than me. I accept you for who you are. If we were together and you wanted to trick occasionally, I wouldn't stop you. I know you need that. Just give me a chance, Brian. That's all I'm asking."

 

"You ask too fucking much, and it stops now." Brian glanced up, not the least bit surprised that Justin was slowly making his way back to them, Ted directly behind him, with Cynthia walking next to him. Fuck. How much had they heard? He didn't want to emasculate Michael. Despite everything, he did care about the brainless fucker. He just needed this pointless bullshit to end. "Michael, for the last time, I don't care about you like that; I never will. I doubt I'll ever be like that with anyone. Go find yourself a nice queer that wants to settle down. That man will not be me."

 

Resisting the urge to stomp his foot like a child being denied his most coveted treat, Michael raged, "Only because you won't try. You just don't get it, Brian. I sabotaged my relationship with David all to have my hero come to my rescue. You, Brian. What do I have to do to make you understand? We are meant to be together... and I'm not leaving here until you accept what is meant to be."

 

Cynthia and Ted shared a wide-eyed look, before turning their attention back to the awkward scene in the Kinnetik lobby. They both had a similar thought - thank God the lobby was devoid of clients. It was like a deer confronting an oncoming train, or a set of headlights speeding down the highway... they couldn't move. They each knew disaster was about to strike, but both were powerless to circumvent it.

 

Justin glared at the irritating little piece of scum. He wanted to squash him like the bug that he intuitively knew him to be. In the craziness of his business in LA, he had encountered many types, they all had sob stories, most of them all untrue. He knew a conniver when he saw one. At this point, he sensed that Brian was on the right track... but he couldn't let this idiot spew his venom for much longer. He was far too impatient to begin his evening with Brian... and he knew it was in Brian's best interest to lose this pariah.

 

About to step forward and intervene, Justin stilled his steps when he heard the unexpected words tumbling from Brian's mouth... words he didn't think Brian would be able to say to his lifetime best friend.

 

"You have a choice, Michael, and this will be the only warning you get. Either leave now of your own accord, or I will have you removed from the premises." Brian's nostrils flared, at this moment forgetting the curious onlookers. "You talk about mockery? That is precisely what you have done here today. This is my place of business, Michael. My livelihood. What if I had clients? Would you have stormed in here making demands on my time?" Brian held up a forestalling hand. "You can say you wouldn't have, but we both know better. You only care about what makes Mikey feel good."

 

Michael's face contorted in rage. "You wouldn't do that. I'm your best friend. You won't call the police on me..."

 

Justin knew he should stand down. Brian had this under control, but he had heard enough of this idiot's insanity. "If he won't... then, I will." Hearing Ted and Cynthia gasp from behind him, he moved forward, intent on finishing this right by Brian's side.

 

"This has nothing to do with you." Michael began to sputter. "Y-you mean nothing to Brian. If you didn't have a huge account, Brian wouldn't give you the time of day."

 

Brian inwardly groaned. This was under control, but the little spitfire had to escalate it. He did admire Justin's initiative... but Justin didn't know Michael. It would just get more unpleasant. "Michael, you need to shut the fuck up - NOW!" He looked at the edge of the lobby to where Ted and Cynthia still hovered, barking to them, "Take the rest of the day off. I'm leaving, and the machine will pick up the calls."

 

Cynthia didn't even question it. She wanted away from this trainwreck ASAP. Sprinting more than walking to her desk, she grabbed her purse, casting a wave in Brian and Justin's direction. "Thanks, Boss. Call me if you need me..."

 

"I won't." Brian's eyes drilled into Ted, impatiently waiting for him to move. "Well, Theodore? Is there a problem with a paid afternoon off?"

 

Ted shook his head. "Uhhh no, Brian. I was thinking, though, don't you need me here for possible reinforcements?"

 

Brian snorted. "That's a good one. Theodore Schmidt acting as reinforcement. No, I think we can handle it." When Ted looked skeptically at Michael, and then at his boss, Brian interjected, "Don't worry, I won't kill him."

 

Shaking his head, Ted mumbled almost incoherently, "It's not you I'm worried about..." Ted didn't wait for a response, rushing into his office to collect his coat and briefcase. He came back out, saluting them all a farewell. "Thanks, Brian. I'll see you in the morning."

 

Justin smirked. They would have to see about that. He would make no guarantees. "Goodbye, Ted. It was nice meeting you."

 

"Same here, Justin." Ted barely remembered Justin's demand to be addressed informally, thankful he did when he received a smile of approval in response. Unable to look his good friend, Michael, in the eye, stunned by the revelations of his obsession and stalking of Brian, he bowed his head to mumble, "Later, Michael."

 

"This is just great. Now Ted thinks I'm some kind of crazed stalker!" Michael exploded, still making no move to vacate the premises. Forcing himself to ignore Justin's presence, unable to miss how he stood protectively next to Brian, Michael looked at Brian, asking brokenly, "Would you really have me turned me over to the police?"

 

Brian sighed. This wasn't how he wanted it to be. In a million years he would have never expected things to go this way between him and Michael, but Michael's actions really left him no other recourse. "I don't want to, but you need to understand that this can't continue, Michael. You brought your unfounded accusations into my work, not to mention all the other disruptions." He looked into Michael's tormented eyes, his voice hardening in ice, when he spoke, "What you want, or what I suspect is merely what you think you want, will never happen. It's not that I can't be in a relationship, it's that I don't want to be in one. And Michael, if I did, it wouldn't be with you." Brian forced himself to continue looking at Michael as he watched the color draining from Michael's face. He knew it was a cliche thought, but sometimes you had to be cruel to be kind. Never was it truer than right now.

 

Justin's eyes widened, surprised that Brian had been so brutal. It was what he would have done... but Michael was Brian's lifetime best friend, he hadn't expected it from him. Michael only had two choices - accept it and move on, or continue fighting the truth and force Brian to make more painful decisions.

 

"Y-you c-can't mean it." Michael turned accusing eyes toward Justin. "It's because of him, isn't it?" Michael rushed forward, sliding his arms around Brian's waist, trying to pull him into his arms. They had hugged countless times. They just needed to build on their friendship. He knew they could have it all. They just needed interfering tricks like Justin Taylor out of the picture. Sobbing against Brian's chest, uncaring if he had to hold Brian to him through pity or another form of emotion, he began to plead. "P-please, Brian... don't send me away. I-I'll do anything for you. Anything!"

 

Justin turned away, unable to watch this pathetic display any longer. He had really hoped Brian could handle this, but his sentimental feelings of the past seemed to keep getting in the way. Michael was deranged, and in his opinion, a complete manipulator. This had already gone on longer than it should have. "Should I call the police, Brian? With all that I have witnessed today, a restraining order wouldn't be difficult to obtain..."

 

Exerting only enough force to shove Michael away from him, Brian savagely hissed, "Is that what you want, Michael? A restraining order?" Brian shook his head in disbelief, a sudden sadness overcoming him at how their friendship was being needlessly destroyed. "I see only one other option, Michael. Go home to Pittsburgh. You don't even like the city. The only reason you are here now was to follow me. That's not a good enough reason to stay."

 

"P-Pittsburgh... but I have a comic book store here. What about that?" Tears shimmered in his eyes, suddenly beginning to wonder if he had been seeing something that wasn't there. Brian obviously wanted him out of his life. Maybe there wasn't anything for them. "Y-you really have no interest in me..."

 

"I have been trying to tell you that, Michael. We just don't fit like that. I don't do couples, and that is who you are. Find someone that can share that with you. Put the store up for sale, and go home. Deb will welcome you with open arms, and I think you miss her too."

 

Michael nodded. "I do. I've been wanting to visit for such a long time."

 

Justin moved away as the two former best friends said their goodbyes, his eyes watching each of them closely. He hoped that Michael had finally come to his senses, but such a quick turnabout was suspect to him. Perhaps it was his suspicious nature. Either way, he intended on keeping a close eye on the Michael situation. Justin smiled. He wasn't done with him quite yet. "How about I walk you out, Michael?"

 

"I don't need your assistance..." Michael grumbled. "I've been in and out of these offices more than you ever will be."

 

"Indulge me. I only want to walk you to the elevator. If you do as Brian suggested, we shouldn't have to see each other again."

 

Brian's eyes became speculative on the clearly conniving blond. He supposed he understood that. Michael had been verbally abusing him at every opportunity. "Don't be long... and please don't throw him down a flight of stairs. I don't think my insurance covers that."

 

"Not to worry. He'll arrive at the bottom of the building in the same condition as he arrived." Justin motioned Michael out of the lobby, and into the hallway, tapping his chin thoughtfully as they walked. Once they arrived at the elevator, Justin blocked the call button, his eyes cold on the man that didn't appear quite as broken as he had appeared when he had been pleading with Brian.

 

"Well? Let's have it, Moneybags." Michael glared at the younger man, hating him for being the one that Brian obviously wanted. He knew it wouldn't last, though. No man ever lasted with Brian. "I know you didn't walk me to the elevator out of the kindness of your heart."

 

Justin winced. He didn't care for such a reference to ever be attributed to him. "Hardly. I will be direct, Michael. I don't like you, and you obviously feel the same way about me. I couldn't care less about that."

 

"Is this where you tell me it's Brian that you care about?" Michael scoffed. "That after a few days you are madly in love with him..."

 

"How old are you?" Justin interrupted. "Obviously, you are lacking in maturity." Justin waved his hand in the air, signifying that to be inconsequential. "Never mind that. All I want to say is this - you need to grow the fuck up and find some other man to troll. I am entering into a million dollar business deal with Brian, and I won't have you disrupting that or the prestige of Kinnetik with your high school antics."

 

"H-high school a-antics?" Michael sputtered. "You've got a lot of nerve, kid. You are no one. I get that you are fucking loaded... Well, so is Brian. One day he will be able to buy and sell you or any magazine label."

 

Justin shrugged. "I have all the money I will ever need. I wish Brian all the best of luck." His eyes narrowed when he noticed the glint in Michael's eyes as they discussed finances - Brian's in particular. Justin prided himself on being a quick judge of character. He had instantly pegged Michael as a user, and his low opinion of the man was only growing. Perhaps Michael did have feelings for Brian... but that wasn't what this had been about. He wanted to hook up with Brian for financial security. Why hadn't he seen that? With that knowledge, the game now changed.

 

"Brian will never give you what you want. If you are smart, you will be like all the others and satisfy yourself with the crumbs he offers and stick to business. All you will ever be to him is a commodity."

 

Justin shook his head. It wasn't his way to ‘out' another man, and certainly, wouldn't be doing that to Brian. He could easily burst Michael's confident little bubble by telling him that soon he would have what he wanted from Brian... but that was Brian's story to tell, or not tell, whichever Brian decided. "I don't intend on wasting another moment with you... but understand me well. Whether you leave New York or not, if you keep fucking with Brian, I will seek you out... and I will crush you."

 

Michael displayed a wary expression but still refused to back down. "I'm not afraid of you."

 

"Then, you're a fool." Justin patted Michael on the cheek, before turning his back on him, and back to where Brian awaited him. The earlier mood they shared needed to be rekindled... and he knew exactly how to go about that. For now, the aggravation that was Michael moved to the back of his mind. As he proceeded back into the office, he couldn't shake the thought that he would be revisiting that again. Michael had made the grievous mistake of becoming his enemy. Unless he was mistaken in Michael's true intentions, severe consequences would be the final price.

 

TBC