- Text Size +

 

Michael paced along the waterfront, pulling the collar of his coat tightly against his neck. The wind that whipped across the harbor in the early morning could chill a man to the bone, no matter what the season. He didn't imagine that the chill he felt was based on the actual temperature, but more directed to what he was looking to do here. He didn't trust the Sap. In fact, he wasn't even sure he would appear to meet him. He intended to resolve this matter before he took his flight to Pittsburgh tomorrow - with or without Sapperstein's help. His mother would be his alibi... at least, she would be so in Brian's eyes. Justin would appear the fool when he tried to accuse him of any collusion. He would win the war on two counts... Justin would be back in Los Angeles, where the meddling little asshole belonged, and Brian would be on his side again. That would be the first step in achieving his dream of a life with Brian.

 

He tensed when he felt the slight brushing of a body next to him, a lighter lifting to light a cigarette, smoke swirling around his head. "I hear you've been asking questions. Some of them being ones that could get a man tossed into the East River - if asked by someone suspicious..."

 

Keeping his face turned toward the water, unsure if he was supposed to look at the man he had been asking about, Michael felt a nervous sweat running down his spine... at this moment feeling damned no matter what he did. "I d-don't mean to cause anyone any trouble, Mister. I just need a contact that can get a job done."

 

"Look at me when you talk to me..." the voice responded more coldly. "I need to know if I can trust you. Only then will we talk."

 

Turning to face the man that was surprisingly about the same size as himself, with dirty blond hair, almost a light brown, and even younger than him, Michael smiled nervously. "Sorry, man. I wasn't sure if I was to look at you or not. I've never done anything like this before..."

 

"Cut the chatter. I'm not here for small talk." Eyes coldly looked over the small man, and instinctively the man realized this wasn't a cop, but someone from the good side of town that was forced to play in the big leagues for the first time. It was actually something he saw quite often. "How did you hear about me?"

 

"I've lived in the city for a while now. Word gets out where to ask when you need a job done." Michael shrugged. "You know?" he asked, hoping the guy would ease off and take him seriously, and hopefully, lose the suspicious attitude. "I went into the bar I found you at, and asked for someone that had contacts out on the West coast where I need the job done."

 

"Keep your voice down..." was the low hiss. "There are always coppers about. Ya never know if they are in uniform or not." His eyes wandered around, a smug smile on his face. "Kip always knows if the 5-0 are around. I got street smarts." He snorted as he looked back at Michael. "I can't say the same for you."

 

Unsure if he should be comfortable with the thug revealing his name or not, especially as his last statement sounded almost threatening, Michael went on, "I just want to get this job done... then, you'll never see me again."

 

Taking a step closer, Kip took a long, slow drag of his cigarette before exhaling the smoke into the foolish man's face. This man was greener than green. He had no idea of how this would change his life. The fool thought paying him a fee would end their alignment. It didn't work that way in his world. This idiot would now be available for any sort of pressure he or his associates wanted to place on him. In essence, this man's life was no longer his own. "What do you want me to do? Then, I will name my price, and contact my associates out west. Think carefully before you answer. Once we start this business, there is no way out for you."

 

Michael swallowed, his eyes widening in perpetual fear before he spoke the words that sealed his own fate. "I don't have a choice, man. This guy is ruining my life. I need him to go back to California."

 

"I see, and how final do you want it to be?" Kip's lips twisted into a sinister smile.

 

"I'm not a killer, nor am I an accessory to murder; I just want him to rush back to L.A. because shit has happened. I was thinking of his house, offices, anything that will force him home." Michael wasn't sure what to suggest. He just knew it had to be major to get Justin to leave, most especially now that he was getting so close to Brian.

 

Kip's lip curled in disgust. "That's it? Are you kidding me? You could go to L.A. and do that yourself." He cast a scathing glance in the other man's direction. "Nah. I guess not. You don't have the guts for it. Okay, here's the deal. I want five thousand dollars just to make the call. What my associate charges you will be between the two of you." Kip smiled, showing his most cutthroat grin. "I would prepare for a large bill. The people I work with don't take IOUs. If you don't pay up, well... let me just advise you, there are many ways he can make you pay. Any questions about that?"

 

Five-thousand dollars? For one phone call? Fuck. He had no idea it would be so much. Shaking his head, his eyes shimmering as he attempted to hold back any frightened tears from falling, Michael obligingly answered, "N-no. I get it. I can get your money tonight. It will clean out my account, but I have it..."

 

"You'd better..." Kip sneered. "Another thing to keep in mind, Mr. Novotny," Kip rolled his eyes at the man's look of surprised disbelief at the mention of his full name. This man was so incredibly naive and had no idea how things worked in his world. "Last night when you started asking questions, in particular, when you started looking for me, you were followed home. I know all I need to know to keep tabs on you... your home, your business, everything. I wouldn't advise you to cross me."

 

"I- I won't." Michael took a few steps back, his unease about this shady alliance only continuing to grow. "I can have your money within the hour. Where should I meet you?"

 

"I'll meet you at your store." Kip chuckled without any mirth present. "We can't have you getting robbed on your way to meet me. I have my doubts you could handle yourself..."

 

Michael gritted his teeth, wanting nothing more than to give this thug a scathing and insulting reply. He knew he couldn't for two reasons. One, he was obviously a very dangerous man... and secondly, he needed his help. With both of those considerations in mind, he held his tongue. "Fine. One hour then." Michael knew there could be only one way to regain the upper hand, and that was to walk away with dignity, and a semblance of calm.

 

His back stiffened as he walked away; he knew that the cold eyes were following his every movement. When his phone vibrated in his pocket, the unexpected feeling nearly made his feet trip on the rough planks of the dock, his hand awkwardly reaching to retrieve the device. "Hello..." he squawked into the device, not even looking to see the number displayed.

 

"Sapperstein..." was the curt greeting, quickly coming to the point, and in doing so, ending an alliance that he now knew to be most unwise for him. "My trip to New York has been delayed. I have urgent business closer to home."

 

"You're reneging on our deal?" Michael snapped, uncaring about that now that he had made other arrangements, but finding himself pissed that the Sap would turn his back on the arrangement they had made.

 

Stepping into his office, slamming the door shut, not wanting any of his staff that were presently accepting the morning deliveries to overhear his conversation, Gary responded with a low hiss, "We never had a deal, Novotny. I said I would think about it, and then meet with you. I've thought about it; I don't want anything to do with this. In addition, I don't expect to hear from you again..."

 

"Whatever..." Michael grumbled. "I will handle this myself." Irritated, and not feeling the least bit intimidated by the sleazy club owner located so far away from him, Michael spoke, his voice dripping with acidic tones - "Thanks for nothing, Sap." Michael closed and pocketed his phone in one motion, his footsteps quickening as he made his way away from the waterfront. He had a task to complete. Once he deleted the bulk of his savings and handed it over to the greedy thug, he would be one step closer to ridding himself of Justin Taylor. And that was worth it... no matter what the cost.

 

TBC