- Text Size +

 

Kip looked around the small comic book store, his lip curling up in distaste. What a fucking loser, he thought to himself. He had been told the type of store Michael Novotny managed and owned... but until seeing all the comics and superhero accessories, displays, and various collectibles, he hadn't known what to expect. Even as a youth, he had been out making whatever money he could. The type that frequented these kinds of stores would have been abhorrent to him... and the type he would end up victimizing.

 

"Where's the office?" he snapped when the clerk attempted to greet him and was undoubtedly about to ask to assist him in any shopping he may have. When the man looked befuddled by the question, he told him, "Michael is expecting me."

 

Unable to hide his surprise that his boss would do business with a man that gave every appearance of being from the ‘wrong' side of town, Scott jerked his head toward the back of the shop. "Uhhh, sure. There are two doors. The one to the left is the office, there is a small plate on the door identifying it, the other door leads to the supply room."

 

Kip didn't respond, he merely walked in the direction of Novotny's office. This was going to be the easiest five grand he ever scored. He hoped the spineless little prick was ready with the cash. If not, things would turn ugly very quickly. Kip knocked once on the door, not even waiting to be allowed inside, his eyes sweeping the room for any sign of trouble. The only trouble he found was the nervous man sitting behind his desk. He shook his head. This man didn't have the backbone to swim with the sharks. If he didn't have the money for both him and his associate, this self-entitled asshole would be learning a harsh lesson. "Well?" Kip barked, grinning when Michael jumped about an inch from his chair.

 

Michael pushed a thick yellow envelope across the desk, his jaw dropping as Kip merely glanced inside of it, before sliding it inside his jacket. "Aren't you going to count it?"

 

"I know where to find you if there's a problem..." Kip sneered. "I've already called my associate. He can do the job tonight. All I need is a name. He can find out the rest."

 

Nodding, Michael spat out, "Justin Taylor. He's all over the news."

 

"Sounds vaguely familiar, but not someone from my circles." Kip held up a hand to silence Michael, before dialing out on his phone. "It's Kip again. I got my payment. Everything is good to go. Your mark is the property of a Justin Taylor. Apparently, he's in the public eye. I'd say his home would be safer than his offices." Kip looked at Michael for confirmation. "Taylor is currently here in New York, right?"

 

"Yeah... Taylor is staying here indefinitely while he sets up offices," Michael answered woodenly. For some unknown reason, he felt a chill coursing down his spine as this thug discussed Justin Taylor with a man that he suspected was even more dangerous. Was he doing the right thing? He shook his head. Fuck yeah, he was. Justin Taylor needed to go home where he belonged. He could have his pick of anyone. Justin didn't need Brian... but he did.

 

Kip snorted. "You know of him? I figured you would." There was silence as Kip listened to the rough voice that wasn't quite audible to anyone other than Kip, before he answered, "Right. Taylor is set to be here for some time yet. His home should be empty other than any staff, but I doubt they live on the premises. I guess you'd need to determine that."

 

Michael narrowed his eyes. Household staff? He hadn't thought of that. He wasn't a killer. He didn't think he could live with himself if someone got hurt. He just wanted Justin out of his life... his and Brian's. "Remember, I don't want anyone hurt; I just want Taylor out of New York and back in California..."

 

Ignoring him, "Yeah, I'll let him know. You want a deposit upfront?"

 

Fuck! A deposit? He knew this would cost him more than the larger-than-life five-thousand dollars he just handed over to Kip. How would he come up with more on such short notice?

 

Kip looked around the small office. "Nah, that's your call, but I think he's good for it. He has a small business, and I can easily find him. He paid my five grand with only an hour to raise it." He listened for a few more minutes before he ended the call, his lips twisting as he caught sight of Novotny's pale expression. This man was weaker than any other man he'd ever dealt with from this side of town. He was disgusted and glad this was a quick and easy job.

 

Michael swallowed nervously, uncertain if he wanted to ask for confirmation. "So, we're all set? Tonight, he said?"

 

"It's set for tonight, and it will be expensive. Taylor is in the public eye, so his security should be tight. Normally, payment would be expected upfront, but my associate wants to get the job safely done while he knows Taylor is away. I'm to collect payment of twenty-five thousand dollars one week from today." Kip smiled coldly at Michael's gasp. "You think that's too much? I can always call him back and tell him you want to negotiate the fee. I really don't advise that, though."

 

Michael gulped. How would he come up with that much cash in one week? He didn't have a choice, though. He HAD to come up with it. In the end, the loss would be worth it. Justin would be gone, and he would be back in Brian's good graces. Once that happened, Brian would do anything for him... just as he always had - before the arrival of the conniving blond. "No, I'll come up with it. No doubt it's steep... but I can raise it."

 

"See that you do, Novotny. I'd hate to be you if you didn't..." Kip moved toward the door, his hand on his knob before he turned back to serve one final warning, "Remember... one week from today. Cash in full. If you don't have it, I think you know the consequences..."

 

Nodding emphatically, Michael nervously stammered, "O-one w-week. Don't worry. I-I'll have it." Michael watched as Kip left, his heartbeat was erratic, his breathing sharp. He glanced at the time, swearing repetitively. "Brian!" He had summoned him to his office nearly an hour ago. What did Brian want? He had sounded angry but clearly wanted him there. Perhaps there was already a problem with the annoying and clinging blond. Michael smirked. He would be glad to pick up the pieces and use the opportunity to show Brian how much he cared about him. Reaching for his phone and keys, Michael dashed for the door, despite his reservations regarding this dangerous alliance, thinking this could be the best day of his life. Justin would soon be history... and Brian would be open to other options. Once he had Brian, he would never let him go.

 


 

Justin left the investigator's office, finding himself even more troubled than when he had arrived. Nothing new had turned up in Michael's surveillance, outside of Michael having just had a visitor from someone that was perceived to be from the bad side of town. In fact, the PI had indicated through a preliminary investigation, the man was a dangerous street thug that operated from the waterfront. Definitely not the typical customer in a comic book store, nor a man that would be Michael Novotny's style of companion. What could Michael be planning, here in New York? With this man being involved, he had to think it would be something local... but what? He was living out of a hotel, high up in the penthouse, protected by the highest of security... and his offices weren't even set up yet.

 

As he walked down Fifth Avenue, Justin stopped at a small coffee shop, and taking a seat, he didn't have to wait long to place his order. At the moment he was merely stalling for time, but he thought Brian might make more progress with Michael - if he wasn't around. Thanking the waiter that placed the steaming latte in front of him, Justin handed him a twenty-dollar bill, informing him to keep the change.

 

"Thank you, Sir..." the middle-aged waiter responded, smiling warmly at his generous customer.

 

"My pleasure. Have a good day," Justin murmured in response, frowning at his sudden newfound politeness and awareness of behaviors that would make others feel good. Fuck! Was this what these feelings for Brian were doing to him? Was he going to become an emotionally weak-minded fool? Fuck no, he told himself. That wasn't who he was, or the man he ever wanted to be. He couldn't fathom Brian even wanting him to change into THAT.

 

Justin shuddered as the warm feelings continued to invade him. THIS was why he had always kept away from feelings. They were unsettling all his former mannerisms. He would need to find a way to put everything in perspective. Otherwise, he couldn't function as he always had in the past. Glancing down at his phone, he frowned when he viewed a missed call from Sean. Hell. When was the last time he'd even thought about him? Even though he had been very clear about what he wanted... and more in particular - what he didn't want - before Sean returned to California, he couldn't shake the thought of them having unfinished business. He needed to resolve that - once and for all.

 

Pushing the button to redial the missed call, it was as expected when his message went directly to voicemail. Sean rarely answered his calls, and at this time of day, he would probably be deeply involved in a photoshoot. All he could do was leave a message, and wait for his response. He kept it brief, knowing they needed to have the bulk of this discussion face-to-face. "Hey, Sean... it's Justin." He paused briefly, making sure that Sean wouldn't hurriedly pick up. "I've been thinking about how we left things, and I'd like for us to talk some more. When you get this, let me know if you can make a return trip to New York. You can use my credit card to book the flight." Unsure of what else he wanted to say, Justin paused again. "I guess I'll talk to you later. Bye, Sean..."

 

Hanging up, Justin wondered if Sean would return his call, pondering the reason Sean would have called him in the first place. After how they had left things, a call from his former lover was the last thing he had expected. Perhaps it was as simple as gaining a complete closure. He hoped it was that. Hurting Sean wasn't anything that he had ever wanted, or planned to do. He may be new to the world of feelings... but he knew one thing for certain. The Brian Kinney's of this world only came around once in a lifetime. He didn't want anything... or anyone to mess that up.

 


 

Michael strolled into Brian's inner office, looking around in suspicion. "What the hell, Brian? You throw me out of here, and now today, you order me to appear stating how busy you are. I get here, and your office is empty of not only clients, but Cynthia and Ted as well. What the fuck is going on?"

 

Brian stood to his feet, his eyes red with rage as he stared at the man he no longer considered his friend. It was a sad revelation, and one he would dwell on later, but for now, the Brian and Mikey show needed to come to an end. "I canceled all of my appointments, and gave my staff the rest of the day off for one reason - I didn't want them to hear the things I'm about to say to you. This latest attempt of yours to manipulate my life could end up costing me a small fortune... but what would you care about that? You don't. Unless it somehow affects you."

 

Rushing forward, his heart lurching at the coldness in Brian's voice, Michael knew he had to think fast. If not, his plan couldn't succeed no matter what happened in California tonight. "Brian, you know that's not true. I care about everything that matters to you. I'd do anything for you. Tell me what I did. I'll fix it. There's nothing we can't move past. We've been best friends for years. It can't end now."

 

"It ended long before now..." Brian hissed, his eyes wide and unflinching as he stared down a man he felt had betrayed him on multiple levels, a man that he looked on in contempt... utter loathing etched into his heart. "However, speaking of recent events, why don't you tell me about your little chat with the Sap?"

 

Michael's eyes began to bulge, his mouth dropping down. "T-the S-Sap? What are you talking about? Why would I talk to him?"

 

"Good question, Michael. Why would you?" Brian sat on the edge of his desk, his arms crossing over his chest, his glare only intensifying as he looked at Michael, almost as if seeing him for the first time. "It's amazing what a bit of modern surveillance can uncover. Such an interesting conversation you had with him... and then, calling your mother in the hopes of establishing an alibi." When Michael gasped, both of them knew that Michael was good and truly busted. Brian brutally added, "You are fortunate your plan was discovered, and your accomplice diverted. If you had gone through with your attack on Justin, he would have destroyed you." Brian laughed, ice dripping from his tone. "I can't say I'm certain he still won't do that..."

 

"I'm not afraid of that mouthy little Midas..." Michael grumbled, not realizing in a sense he had just made an admission of guilt. "He's nothing but a self-entitled asshole. You would be better off if he went back to his California lifestyle. I know you don't think so now... but I guarantee you would in time."

 

"Right." Snidely, Brian muttered, "I suppose you would make yourself available to hold my hand as I missed his deep blue eyes, his blinding smile... not to mention his other many attributes."

 

Michael remained silent, wanting to shout ‘Yes' at the top of his lungs, but sensing Brian was using his sarcasm to lead him straight into a trap. Despite Brian knowing what he had planned with Sapperstein, all was not lost yet. Justin's departure was still his objective. That accomplished, he could manipulate Brian just as he always had. Smugly, Michael told Brian, "I know you better than anyone. Justin is nothing more than a new challenge for you. Now that you've had him, you'll move on soon. Don't let an insignificant trick destroy years of friendship."

 

"Insignificant trick?" Brian repeated, deliberately keeping his tone neutral, instantly surprised at how he wanted to jump to Justin's defense following the reference. He wasn't sure why that bothered him so much. To his friends, that was how he always viewed the men he fucked - in Justin's case, though, the opposite was the case. Now wasn't the time to think about a sentiment that he had no understanding for, but Michael's words brought one fact more to home - he cared about Justin Taylor. Genuinely and deeply. His life had been incredibly impacted by the arrogant and beautiful blond. "You know nothing about my relationship with Justin... and it's none of your business. I'd advise you to stay out of it now... before it's too late."

 

Michael snorted. "Relationship? Since when does Brian Kinney do relationships? And I already told you - I am NOT afraid of him."

 

"Then perhaps you should be..." a voice sneered from behind them. Justin stepped into the room, closing the door behind him, before he walked up to Brian, his eyes only flickering over Michael briefly, his heart beating erratically in his chest after seeing the warmth in Brian's eyes, and hearing his words. Relationship. Yes, that was what they had. What he had never had with another man; at least, not in an emotional way. He wanted to react in the most juvenile of ways and shout from the rooftop that Brian Kinney cared about him, but he knew he wouldn't do that. Instead, he did the next best thing.

 

"Brian called me here for a private discussion. You need to leave, blondie..." Michael glared hatefully at the younger man, determined not to show any fear for the man that he knew to be immensely powerful on so many levels.

 

Ignoring him, Justin moved closer to Brian, reaching up to place his hands on both sides of his face, pulling his head down to join his lips in a scorching, passionate... and most important of all - possessive kiss. As he sat in the cafe, he had thought about what to do. Return here before Michael departed, or stay out of it. The more he thought about it, and all that he knew of Michael so far, he decided that a resolution could possibly be found by Michael being exposed to the explosive chemistry he shared with Brian. As hot and electrifying as it was between them, he knew Michael had to feel it too. Either way, a tongue-dueling kiss with Brian Kinney was a priceless gift... and immense pleasure.

 

Brian smiled against Justin's lips, having an idea of what the clever little blond was up to; he gave himself over to the kiss, his tongue meeting Justin's for each searching stroke, a low growl rumbling in his chest when he felt the very familiar hands sliding up and down his back, before settling on his ass. A sudden thought came to Brian, one that would send Michael reeling. Did he want to reveal that much intimacy of his relationship with Justin, allowing it to be known that the unimaginable had happened? Not only did he have feelings for another man... but this younger man, a man so much like himself, was actually the top in the relationship. Michael's head would spin. Now, it was a question of how he felt about such information becoming public knowledge. Knowing how Michael romanticized everything, Brian realized it could be the perfect way to send Michael on his way - hopefully, forever. Pulling back, their lips noisily separating, Brian huskily asked, "You didn't have enough last night... or this morning?"

 

Justin growled, his hands squeezing the perfect flesh, his tongue moving closer to lick along Brian's lips, before he rasped, "There's no such thing as enough... most especially with an ass like yours..."

 

Brian and Justin exchanged an all-knowing glance. The proverbial cat was out of the bag now. It was time to see where that took them. Neither of them responded to Michael's gasp that this time was born out of shock, and not disgust at the display they were making. Turning to face his former friend, to make certain to do so in a way that kept him in Justin's arms, Brian asked, "Is there a problem, Michael?"

 

"Fuck yeah, there's a problem. You fucking bottomed for this little shit? Multiple times?" Michael's breath began to come in and out quickly, breathing soon becoming difficult when all the ramifications assailed him. "You're Brian Kinney. You don't bottom for anyone!"

 

A self-satisfied smirk on his face, Justin audaciously continued to rub his hand over Brian's ass. "He does now." An almost coquettish smile came over Justin's face, his smile suddenly blinding the brunet, never being a shy or hesitant man in anything he did, he made a shocking declaration. "In fact, he loved it... almost as much as I love him."

 

TBC