- Text Size +

 

Brian stared at Justin with his mouth agape. The shock wasn't easily instilled in him... but it seemed to be now. It wasn't the fact that Justin had finished the process of ‘outing' him to Michael. He had started that, and in light of the situation, he was totally on board with the decision. No. It was the after. Had he heard correctly? And if he had, was it genuine, or was it more about the ‘scare Mikey away' project?

 

Justin smiled at Brian, knowing his feelings had to be openly displayed in his look of admiration, but Brian's look of shock told another story. "Brian? Your mouth is wide open. Whereas I would enjoy that if I was feeding you my cock," Justin looked over his shoulder to see Michael standing with his arms crossed and glaring at both of them, "I don't think now is the time, considering you have a guest."

 

"Guest? Who the fuck do you think you are, Boy Wonder?" Michael began to sneer. "You are nothing to him, I don't care if he let you fuck him. Brian felt sorry for you. That's what it was." He looked to Brian for confirmation. "Tell him, Bri. It was a twisted sort of a pity fuck."

 

Brian turned to look at Michael incredulously, shaking his head in disbelief. "What the fuck does it take to get through to you, Mikey? I am out of answers here, and very close to letting Justin simply wreck your life. The only thing that has stopped me is my regard for your mother."

 

Michael's eyes widened for a brief moment before his lids lowered, and he gave Brian that ‘I know you so well' smile. "Brian, you're my best friend. You wouldn't do anything to hurt me." He turned to glare at Justin, noticing the blond was no longer standing behind Brian, displaying lewd touches on him, but now, standing in front of him, almost in a protective stance. "You only say these things, because you think it's what he wants you to say. What's it going to take for you to realize - he doesn't matter!?" Michael side-stepped around Justin, to look into what was impossible not to perceive as angry hazel eyes. "Send him on his way, Bri. This is between the two of us."

 

Brian took a deep breath. He wasn't sure how much more of this he could take. Michael needed to get a grip. What else did he need to do? His head was still foggy from Justin's shocking revelation. He needed to talk to Justin about that... but he needed to resolve this too. "I don't know what else to say, Michael. You need to wake up and breathe a bit of reality. This path is only causing you pain, and I don't want to do that. For the sake of any friendship we once shared, don't make me continue..."

 

Justin was silent. He feared this was going nowhere, just like the last time, but he had to let Brian try. A part of him just wanted to step in between them and resolve this in his way. He knew he could do it... and he would do it if Brian appeared to be stressed by this deranged fool. He couldn't fathom how Brian had maintained a friendship with this whiny, self-entitled, and extremely loud-mouthed imbecile for so many years. He doubted that Brian had always seen the characteristics in him that were so apparent now, but they were so different. Even in friendship, they just didn't seem to fit.

 

Michael stared at Justin almost malevolently... hatred blazing in his eyes. He couldn't wait for Justin's life to fall apart. In his mind, the blond deserved it. He was what stood between him and success. No other reality was acceptable to him. "Brian, I'm asking you if we can talk without him here. He doesn't belong here."

 

Nearly on the verge of complying simply to shut Michael up, in the hopes of moving this talk along, Brian turned to look at Justin, his breath nearly catching in his throat at what his eyes were telling him. Justin was totally ignoring Michael, his eyes, and attention completely on him. His beautiful blue eyes were almost shimmering, a look of trust and love in them. Justin had meant what he had said. He loved him. Where did they go from here? Now more than ever, he just wanted this nightmare with Michael to be over, with his former friend gone and out of his life, so he could put all of these new thoughts and feelings into perspective and go about living his own life. "Actually, he does, Michael. The only one that doesn't belong is you. Now, unless Justin has anything to say to you regarding the crime you attempted to perpetrate with Gary Sapperstein, you need to get the fuck out of my office AND out of my life!"

 

Justin shook his head. "I just want to forget I ever met this worthless piece of trash. I realize you have connections that could cause you pain if legal charges were brought against him." Looking deeply into Brian's eyes, Justin admitted, "I don't want to see you hurt."

 

Brian swallowed. "Thank you, Justin... but your sacrifice isn't necessary. Michael deserves to be punished for his attempted actions. I won't ever blame you if you want to pursue that choice."

 

"I didn't do anything!" Michael boisterously protested. "The Sap isn't a credible witness. You know him, Brian. I know you can vouch for that!"

 

Justin removed his smitten gaze away from Brian and turned an icy gaze on the man that he was barely resisting the urge to destroy. "Allow me to simplify this for you, Mikey boy. Whereas I could let you go on... and on... and on, even more, digging yourself into an even larger hole, I will spare us all, and play my audio evidence." Justin rolled his eyes as Michael gasped in response, loving the moment when the mindless twit realized his lies wouldn't hold up this time. Reaching into his pocket, he pressed the play button, his brow arching as the color drained from Michael's face. "You are fortunate that I was able to intercede. Had your plans materialized, I would have come after you. In particular, IF any of my employees had been harmed, you would have been suffering far more than legal consequences!"

 

Michael swallowed. How could he deny it? His voice was right there, in a way, mocking him. What had he been thinking? As he heard the entire conversation replayed, then the call to his mother, it all sounded so sinister. He looked from Justin to Brian, suddenly unable to look either of them in the eye. He just needed to buy himself some time. This wasn't over yet. It couldn't be. "I don't know what to say. Obviously, I was going to deny it..."

 

"You need to snap the fuck out of whatever fantasy you are building around me, and grow the hell up!" Brian snapped. "It's not going to happen! And I don't think you're really in love with me, Michael. I know you were happy with David at first. I don't know what happened to totally change your perception of reality and relationships, but it isn't something I can help you with, Michael. This needs to end. And as I said before, I think that end needs to take place away from me, which means you need to leave New York."

 

Justin narrowed his eyes, unable to believe what he was seeing, but Michael nodded his head, his shoulders slumping down in a mixture of acceptance and total defeat. There was no way he was convinced, but he would play along - for now. "I will help you relocate, Michael. I know it's expensive, and you have commitments to sever here. It's never easy."

 

Michael glared at Justin, despite his acceptance that he no longer had a choice, and that Brian obviously wouldn't ever look at him as he did Justin and his other tricks, he still blamed him. After draining his bank account to pay Kip, he was nearing financial ruin. Soon, he would have a price on his head when he couldn't pay Kip's associate in Los Angeles. "I don't need anything from you!" If nothing else, the plans that were to be carried out tonight would savage Justin's perfect little world. He would take pleasure in that. "I'm going to Pittsburgh to see my Mom as planned. I'll make arrangements for the store after that."

 

Brian was about to censure Michael for his rudeness to Justin but he realized there was little point in that. Michael was going to cling to the belief that everything was Justin's fault. It was best that they all just moved on. "I can put your store on the market for you, and have all the inquiries coming to you in Pittsburgh."

 

"Fine." Michael thought about that. Perhaps that would save him... his life at the very least. He doubted a sale could be completed and finalized in a week, but it was his only chance. In light of the circumstances, he couldn't ask Brian for a twenty-five-thousand-dollar loan. He could only imagine how much they would privately laugh at him about that. Michael bit his lip thoughtfully, unable to resist asking, "Brian, was there ever a time that you thought we could be something more?"

 

"No, Michael. Not ever." Brian's gaze was unwavering as he looked directly into Michael's beseeching eyes. Now was not the time for a setback. Finally, progress was being made. Any sort of false hope would only cause them to regress. None of them needed that. "We had a bond of friendship, at least, while we were growing up. Things happen, varied lives and interests cause people to grow apart. You just don't belong here. Go home, Mikey. Spend some time with Debbie. I think she can help you find the way."

 

Justin looked at Brian in total bemusement. He was just incredible. Michael had unloaded all sorts of stress and chaos into his life, extending into his business relationships... and still, Brian went all out to try and help him. Brian Kinney was an amazing man. The more he discovered, the more he wanted to learn. When his phone began to vibrate in his pocket, Justin pulled it out, knowing it could be one of two calls. One, it could be Sean, who he really wanted to get in touch with... or it could be the PI. He was slightly surprised when the latter was the case.

 

Stepping away from them, Justin whispered, "I need to take this." He moved to the window, looking out at the beautiful view from high atop the Empire State Building, answering curtly, "did you have something more for me?"

 

"Mr. Taylor, sorry to disturb you. I investigated a bit deeper and came up with a surprising discovery." He paused for a moment, waiting for some afternoon walkers to pass him on the docks, before continuing, "Novotny withdrew a large sum of cash from his bank account before his meeting with Kip Thomas. Ten-thousand dollars to be exact."

 

Justin turned to look at Michael, watching as the two men spoke more quietly, before turning his back on them to say, "I'm surprised he could raise that much. And what of this Kip Thomas? Do you have anything on him?"

 

"Yes, Sir." The investigator shook his head as he watched the young thug exiting the bar, and down the waterfront, recognizing from the tension in his walk that he wasn't quite as hardcore as he liked everyone else to believe. Of course, if he was carrying that kind of cash inside his jacket, he wouldn't be relaxed either. "I went into the bar that he frequents; I happened to overhear him bragging to his friends - other criminals I'm suspecting - that he had scored a big scam over a naive mark that didn't see it coming. He went on to say that he would cash in again next week, but if for some reason it fell through, he had already lined his pockets... and then some."

 

Justin pondered that for a moment. Fucking Michael. He couldn't wait to be rid of him. If not for Brian's obvious regard for him, he would wreak havoc on his world, but in the end, that could hurt Brian. That was something he wanted to avoid more than anything else. "So, I'd surmise nothing for me to worry about. A deal was made, but he was tricked into believing it would be carried out. Of course, nothing will happen."

 

"Exactly. I don't see anything further panning out here, Sir. It was clear to me that Novotny was scammed. It is quite typical with these types to bully for payment, and with no services rendered. In fact, he was tripping all over himself boasting about that. I can keep a watch down here, but I think your problem should be resolved - unless Novotny hires someone else." Wandering away from the waterfront, he pulled his coat up around his neck, the chill from the East River, sending slight shivers down his spine.

 

"I doubt that will be necessary." Justin turned to bore holes into Michael's back, shaking his head when Brian looked over at him, surmising that his astute adman had picked up on at least part of the conversation. "You've done well and on short notice. There will be a sizable bonus. Stop by my hotel later today. I will pay you in full."

 

"Thank you, Mr. Taylor..." the PI answered, already knowing by reputation that this man was extremely generous to those that provided top service. He was glad to know he had done exactly that.

 

Brian's gaze narrowed on Justin's almost stealth-like approach, almost finding himself enraptured by the menace in the blond's gaze. He was the hottest, most beautiful man he had ever seen. This look of unforgivable rage on his face made him appear almost primitive. It was fucking hot. Swallowing, knowing they needed to get done with the bad before they could move onto the pleasure, Brian released a long-suffering sigh. "What's happened now?"

 

"He's lying to us, Brian. The asshole never gave up, and he isn't being compliant now. He is simply stalling for time, waiting for his backup plan to fall into place..." Justin hissed, his eyes stabbing hatefully into the pathetic man, barely managing to wait for him to turn around and face the music. "Turn around and look at me, you whiny little prick!"

 

"What the fuck is your problem now?" Michael shouted. "You've won. I'm leaving."

 

"Yes, you are. But we'll have to see exactly HOW you are leaving..."

 

"Okay, I'll ask again, Justin." Brian's tone was patient, even if the rest of him wasn't so much so. He had already wasted more time on this meeting than he'd ever planned. It needed to be over now. "What has he done now?"

 

Justin moved his eyes from Michael to intercept Brian's anxious stare. "He paid a street thug ten-thousand dollars to perform some type of task that was undoubtedly designed to fuck up my life. I don't have the specifics, although, my PI did hear his conversations with his buddies, and discovered that Michael was scammed. There was no deal arranged. Michael paid the money for nothing..."

 

"What!? That was my entire savings! I heard another voice on the phone. The job was set for tonight!" Michael started before curses tumbled from his mouth upon realizing what he had just admitted. Hell! He hated Justin Taylor so damned much. Michael moved closer to Justin, his anger not making him realize the danger he placed himself in by going on the offensive with this man.

 

"You are finished, Michael! Finished!" Justin snarled. "First, I am going to play this little tape recording for your mother. It's about time she opened her eyes and realized what kind of trash she calls son... and then, I am turning it over to the authorities. I am not a legal expert and don't know what they can do with it, but you are about to be ostracized by everyone, Michael. I will enjoy watching that!"

 

Michael began to sputter, barely comprehensible. "B-Brian... for the s-sake of our friendship, y-you have to stop him. Y-you have to do something."

 

Brian stood with his arms folded across his chest, his eyes staring at Michael as if he didn't know him. In actuality, that was exactly how he felt. "Get out of here. Make a life somewhere else. There is nothing here for you now. If you come near me again, I will obtain a restraining order. I'm sure Justin will do the same." There wasn't a doubt in his mind that the finality in his voice would finally get through to the deranged man. Brian moved behind his desk, his eyes staring straight ahead, his lips compressed, with lines of tension defining his face. He didn't have to look to know that Michael fled from his office, his footsteps almost running in his haste. "I don't do apologies as a rule, but I am sorry for bringing that lunatic into your life."

 

"It's not your fault, Brian." His heart lurched at the pain he could see on Brian's face. He despised Michael and all that he stood for. If not for Brian's feelings for him, he would take immediate steps to destroy him. "I told Michael I was calling his mother. That's up to you. I think she needs to know... and you did say that she's always blamed you for Michael's misguided dreams of you and him. Perhaps this will set the record straight."

 

"Debbie is who she is and will probably always believe I encouraged her son. However, she needs to know what Michael has become. I will make the call. You can stay if you want." Brian didn't want to hurt Debbie. No matter how much they had bickered over the years, he still cared about her. This could potentially break her.

 

"No, these are your friends. I know this isn't easy for you; I will let you handle this in private." Justin handed the tape over to Brian, revealing so much when he said, "This is the only copy. What happens next is in your hands." Justin's face held genuine warmth when he said, "I trust you to make the right decision."

 

Incredulous, Brian watched as Justin made his way to the door, able to admit to himself that this younger version of himself had irrevocably changed not only him but his entire way of life. "Justin?" Brian called out. "Can I see you later?"

 

His hand on the doorknob, he turned to say, "I'll be in my suite the rest of day and evening. I want to finish your article, and I'm meeting with the investigator. Stop by at any time."

 

Unsure if it was a case of now or never, Brian spoke words he never thought to say to another man. "By the way, Taylor. I love you too."

 

Justin answered with a beaming smile, at once, his eyes sparkling. "Tell me that later... in my suite. If you do, I promise you a night you'll never forget."

 

"Like the first night?" Brian countered, his eyes becoming smoky and heavy with want, yet knowing he had to follow through with the difficult phone call to Debbie first.

 

"No, Brian. Even better." Justin's eyes moved hungrily over Brian's beautiful face and all that he could see with him seated behind his desk. "That first night was a fuck fest. Tonight, I will worship your body from head to toe. When I am deep inside of you, I want to hear those words again." Justin's eyes lowered, then raised, a confident smile on his face. He opened the door and walked through it without a backward glance.

 

Both men knew without a doubt that Justin would accomplish yet another goal, each of them knowing they were both truly hooked. However, neither of them would have it any other way.

 

TBC