- Text Size +

 

"Brian Kinney, you fucking asshole! You have a hell of a nerve calling me after all this time, only to accuse Michael of these horrible acts!" Debbie Novotny continued to curse over the phone, wishing she could lay her hands on Brian - here and now. "Michael has always been there for you... the brother you never had, and THIS is how you thank him!? You should be ashamed, Mister. Deeply ashamed!"

 

Silently, Brian listened to the beginning tirade. He suspected Michael had already forewarned her, but he was certain Michael hadn't been as forthcoming with all the details. Michael had accepted that he had reached the end of the line, most likely, only because he had been exposed in his plot against Justin. No matter what happened with Justin down the line, Michael knew him well enough to know he would have never forgiven him for perpetrating criminal acts against anyone, most especially someone he cared about. "I see my call was expected..." Brian replied in a dry voice, determined he would shut her down quickly, once he began playing the recording.

 

"You're damned right it was expected! Michael just called me, saying he would be taking a later flight. He's putting his business up for sale because of you and this new trick of yours harassing him." Debbie clucked her tongue noisily. "I would have never thought you would take the side of a trick against your best friend. This is low, even for you. Sadly, my predictions have come true. You have destroyed my son's life... and now I have to see if I can fix him. I am so disappointed, Brian. I can't begin to say how much!"

 

"I'm disappointed too, Deb. I never wanted Michael to follow me to New York." Brian took a deep breath, waiting for her curses to end, and for her to finally listen to him. "In case you didn't know - Michael admitted to deliberately sabotaging his relationship with David merely to gain my sympathy in the hopes that I would fulfill his every fantasy..."

 

"That's a damned lie!" Debbie exploded, "Michael was devastated when David left. He called me, pouring his heart out to me. I'm his mother. I would know if it wasn't genuine!"

 

Brian mentally groaned. This was going to be even more difficult than he'd imagined. Perhaps he should have just played the tape first, but he had hoped to ease her into the shock of Michael's criminal activity. "No one would ever blame you for your judgment, Deb. Michael is your son, and you love him. In our own way, we've all loved him. He needs help, and after the evidence that I have to play for you, I think you will agree."

 

"Evidence!? What evidence? Probably something your trouble making new twink made up!" Debbie roared, at this point, everything Brian said only worked to inflame her more.

 

"Troublemaking twink?" Brian repeated. "Deb, you don't know what you're talking about. Michael's incessant whining has your head all twisted around, but I am about to straighten that out! I'm going to be silent, and play these recordings. I think they should speak for themselves. Then we can talk..."

 

"Just play them already. I know they must be an exaggeration. Michael never said anything about any tapes. He only said you had teamed up with your latest trick, and harassed him to the point where he had to leave town."

 

Brian snorted. "Think about what you just said, Deb. That doesn't make any sense! Michael is too stubborn for that. He changed his life in order to chase me to New York. Harassment? I will give you that... but it has been Michael doing the harassing." Shaking his head, feeling anger swelling inside him, the few words of attack against Justin, enraging him more than anything ever had before, he placed the phone on speaker settings and positioned the recorder for Deb to best hear it. He couldn't believe Michael had continued with unloading his lies to his mother. He had been so sure that he wouldn't play the tape for Deb. Another miscalculation on his former friend's part. One that would bite him in the ass once his brash parent got her hands on him again.

 

Allowing the entire tape to play, Brian didn't say a word. He wanted Debbie to hear every syllable, and he didn't want to intrude on what he knew would be a shocking revelation. Once both conversations had been heard, he stopped the recorder, placing the phone back up to his ear. He didn't know what to say next. All he could distinguish on the other end was elevated breathing, and if he wasn't mistaken - a few muffled sobs. After a moment, Brian spoke, "I'm sorry, Deb. I don't enjoy hurting you. I'm only coming to you now because this has gotten out of hand. I think Michael needs some type of therapy... and you are the only one that could convince him to seek it."

 

"There's more, isn't there?" Deb's voice was monotone, the typically boisterous voice suddenly dull and lifeless. "Let me have it, Brian. I need to know what I'm dealing with when Michael gets here..."

 

Perhaps Debbie was right. He had thought the tape would be enough, but having gone this far, she should hear it all. "When the Sap refused to help Michael, he went out and found some street thug. Apparently, he emptied out his savings, gave this man ten thousand dollars to arrange contact with a criminal type in Los Angeles to cause some sort of chaos that would send Justin running back home." When Debbie gasped her shock, Brian continued, "The investigator believes that Michael was scammed out of the money and that no true contact with this other criminal had been made, but no matter how you look at it, I think it's clear that Michael has slipped over the edge."

 

"That may be true, Brian... but tell me, exactly how much did you do to cause it?" Debbie half-questioned, the tone in her voice making it sound like more of an accusation.

 

"Deb, you can believe whatever it is you feel you need to believe in order to deal with the problem. I haven't done anything to encourage Michael. I am trying to live my own life, and whether you believe it or not - I do want the best for Michael. No matter how much stress he has put on my life, I want him to be safe and happy."

 

A heavy sigh ripped from Debbie's throat. "I'm sorry, Brian. I shouldn't be accusing you. I know Michael is responsible for his own actions. I don't hold you accountable for those." Debbie paused, before she asked, "Is this Justin Taylor pressing any charges against Michael? I'm sure there are grounds."

 

"Justin has left that decision in my hands. He's a good man, Deb, and doesn't deserve any of this. To be honest, Justin could rip Michael's life apart. He is rich, successful, and extremely powerful. I wouldn't want to be his enemy." Brian knew he was failing at keeping his admiration for Justin's many attributes from his tone, but after the admission he'd made to the blond just a short time ago, he no longer saw a reason in disguising anything.

 

Despite her anguish, Debbie chuckled. "I'll be damned. You love him. I never thought I'd see the day that Brian Kinney loved someone more than himself." She cackled for several moments longer. "I've always known that Michael would never get what he wanted from you, but I never expected such a final door being closed, either. Brian Kinney in love is something I never thought any of us would see. I'll see how he acts when he gets here, but it sounds like he's gone over the edge. My kid would never resort to these criminal acts to get a man... not even you."

 

"I realize this type of therapy can be extremely costly, especially if he needs as much as I suspect he might." Brian took a deep breath, shocked he was offering, especially after all that Michael had done, but finding himself unable to stop. He told himself he did this for the memory of the friendship he'd once shared with Michael and his loyalty and compassion for Debbie - whether she always understood accurately or not. "I am willing to help with any expense you cannot handle. The reasons why I want to help don't really matter; all that does matter, is that Michael gets the help he obviously needs."

 

"B-Brian... I-I can't ask you to do that," Debbie began to uncharacteristically sputter, "most especially after all the trouble Michael has caused. I do appreciate the gesture." Debbie emitted a rough laugh. "Much more than my stubborn ass will ever admit to you."

 

"First of all, you didn't ask; I offered." Brian paused. "Now, I expect you to be in touch with an estimate of the expenses. There isn't a doubt in my mind that extensive therapy will be needed. You can't take this on yourself, whereas I can. You did a lot for me when I was growing up, Deb. It's time I repaid that debt."

 

Debbie huffed and sputtered for a moment. "I didn't do that expecting to be compensated! I would have taken in any kid that had Jack and Joan Kinney as parents. You needed a place to come to, and I was happy to provide it. You don't owe me a damned thing, Brian. You got that?"

 

Brian smiled. Typical Deb. Always had to have the last word. He admired her much more than he would ever tell her, but he had the feeling that deep down it was a mutual respect. "Got it, Mom." Brian's voice was only half-teasing. Debbie Novotny had been more of a mother than his own ever had been. "Keep in touch, Deb. I'm here for whatever you need. I hope that if we get Michael through this mental crisis he's in, then maybe the kid I once knew will be visible again."

 

"I hope so, Brian. I'll be in touch... and thank you." Debbie stated simply, both of them ending the call, each of them assuring the other that they would stay in touch, neither of them wanting to be unnaturally emotional with the other.

 

"Talk to you later." Brian smiled as he ended the call. He didn't speak the words, not ever, but he thought the world of that woman. It was almost a knife in the heart knowing how broken she was feeling right now. In the event that it did turn out to be the result of delusions or mental illness, perhaps her ravaged soul could be salvaged. Debbie had gone through hell throughout her life; he hoped this madness with Michael wouldn't be too much for her. In the end, though, it wouldn't really matter. Debbie would do anything for Michael. Throughout her life, she had sacrificed so much in her love for her child. He would do everything possible to make sure she didn't have to sacrifice even more.

 


 

Justin laid the PI's final report on the table, extending a check to the man in one quick motion. "This is very concise, and I believe complete. Thank you for such diligence. I think you'll find that I vastly rewarded your efforts."

 

Looking down at the check in his hands, the man's eyes bulged out at the bonus added onto the fee and expenses. "Mr. Taylor, you are too generous. This was a simple job. It truly isn't necessary..."

 

"Nonsense," Justin objected. "What you uncovered in your preliminary investigation alone saved what could have amounted to a tragedy. I have staff in my Los Angeles home. Had Sapperstein not backed off, disaster would have struck. No bonus can adequately compensate you for what could be lives saved."

 

"It was my pleasure to be of service, Mr. Taylor." Standing to his feet, he pocketed the check, extending his hand forward to shake his generous client's hand. "If there is anything else I can ever do for you, please don't hesitate to call on me. I will always make sure to push you to the top of my list."

 

"Thank you, Mr. Alexander.  I will definitely keep that in mind..." Justin escorted him to the door, once he opened it, his eyes widening at the figure that stood on the other side, his hand poised to knock. "Sean! What are you doing here?"

 

Sean curved his lips in his most provocative smile, his eyes only on Justin, to his way of thinking, the other man that now exited Justin's suite to be totally non-existent. "I decided to respond in person to your phone calls. Following your last message, I thought that was what you wanted too."

 

Frowning, slightly uneasy by the mischievous and almost cunning light in Sean's eyes, Justin turned to speak to his PI, wanting his private business to remain exactly that. "Thanks again, Mr. Alexander. I will be in touch should I ever need your services again." He didn't give the man another glance as he returned his attention to Sean, motioning him inside his suite, closing the door quietly behind them.

 

Sean moved into the room, his eyes moving around curiously, relieved when he didn't find the sight or scent of another man. If he was to be honest with himself, he would admit it was a certain man he had expected to find here. Turning to see Justin's serious expression, Sean paused. He had assumed Justin had invited him for a reconciliation, or at the very least, an invitation to pick up where they had left off. Right now, he didn't think either was the case. He moved closer to Justin, unable to keep his distance from the seductive man that hadn't been far from his thoughts since he'd left here. "I'm here, Justin. I've missed you..."

 

"Sean, I'm glad you're here." When Sean kept coming closer, Justin knew his former lover and roommate was seeking a more intimate greeting. That was something he intended to avoid. Even though he and Brian had expressed their love for each other, that didn't mean they were in a monogamous relationship. He wasn't even sure Brian wanted that, nor was he sure he wanted that much of a change so quickly. It just wasn't how he lived, and he was certain the same went for Brian as well. So much was new with this addition of feelings. He knew he couldn't be sure of anything. For now, though, he wasn't about to be tempted by Sean, or any of his sultry ways. They had a long history, and Sean knew how to get to him. Justin wondered how he would react to any such attempts now that he had met and fallen for Brian. As he read that look in Sean's eyes, he feared things could get awkward quickly.

 

"Not as much as I am..." Sean whispered, his hand reaching out to slide up Justin's chest, his eyes hungry and lustful on his beautiful blond lover.

 

Pulling away, Justin began to pace, his hand gesturing for Sean to have a seat. "Come and sit down, Sean. We have a great deal to talk about."

 

TBC