- Text Size +

 

Justin signed his name on the legal document with a slashing signature, unable to believe he had not only made this purchase but in doing so, benefited the most cowardly and deranged man it had ever been his displeasure to meet. He had done it for one reason. Brian. Despite how incensed and disappointed Brian had been with Michael, he could still see that Brian wanted to help him and even yearned for the kid he had once known to reemerge. Justin was fairly certain that would never happen, but if Michael had no reason to stick around, perhaps he would go home to Pittsburgh and work through his problems. It was his opinion that Michael would stall until the store was either sold or closed. There was much he could do about that, and precisely what he just did.

 

"This has been the strangest of transactions, Mr. Taylor." The attorney looked at his new client from across his desk, his eyes bulging in disbelief and confusion at what the wealthy media mogul had wanted to accomplish. "I'm not sure how this fits into your vast portfolio, but in any event, you are now the owner of a comic book store."

 

Unsure of what he was going to do with this new investment, Justin shuddered in distaste. "Did Mr. Novotny inquire about the identity of the new owner?"

 

"No, Sir. That was even more shocking. He didn't seem to care; in fact, I'm not sure he even wanted to sell, but when I provided the bank check, along with the contract, he signed on the dotted line. Once he reviews the finalized contract, should he wish to investigate the sale, I'm sure he could uncover your identity. I surmised that you made the purchase under one of your holding companies to assure some anonymity." Daniel Rappaport shook his head. "I have never dealt with someone quite as blasé as Mr. Novotny, especially considering his asking price. And I have handled a large number of these types of transfers in my thirty years practicing law."

 

"I am assuming that means he accepted the bonus, providing he immediately vacated the premises..." Justin knew that would be the point that would tip the scales in his favor. It had been apparent that Michael Novotny was obsessed with money and all that it could buy him. He had accepted, or so it appeared at the moment, that he had given up on his dream of latching onto Brian. This sale would have been divine to Michael. He hated being the one that made Michael financially solvent... but if it meant he would be out of Brian's life, unable to inflict any further damage, he would have paid any price. "And it's of no consequence to me if Michael determines who bought his store. All that matters to me is that he signed the agreement... which he has."

 

Reaching for a small envelope, the attorney passed it to Justin, unable to resist commenting, "I'm amazed that a man of your business expertise paid not only the asking price, which I think could have been negotiated but placed a bonus on the sale in lieu of an immediate departure. I've met his kind more times than I can remember; once the money changed hands, I doubt he would have stayed around for long."

 

"My reasons for this choice are personal, and extremely private, Mr. Rappaport." He opened the envelope seeing that the keys were inside. Standing to his feet, Justin extended his hand, shaking the attorney's hand firmly. "Thank you for handling this matter. This was processed much more timely and discreetly than I ever imagined."

 

"Well, Sir... with all due respect, your reputation is renowned from coast to coast. The use of your name was enough to expedite the paperwork, not to mention the commission you paid to each party involved." Releasing Justin's hand, he stood to his feet to walk him to the door, "if there are any other services we can provide, don't hesitate to call. And I will have your final bill of sale faxed to you as soon as it is prepared."

 

Justin nodded. "Thank you again. If I need anything else I will certainly call on your firm. You have gone over and beyond, and so expediently as well." Stepping out of the building, Justin hailed a cab, slipping inside and giving him a different address than the one of his office - which had been his initial intention. It was so many hours before he would be meeting Brian at Babylon. He couldn't wait that long.

 

For one, he needed to be honest with him about what he knew Brian could view as meddling. It wouldn't be the first time he had faced that accusation with Brian, and many times in his past. Perhaps that was one of his fatal flaws. When he saw something that needed to be handled, with him being in the position to do so effectively and quickly, he didn't stop to think how others could be affronted by him taking over... he just resolved the problem. He wasn't sure how Brian would feel about him buying Michael out, but he needed to be honest with him about it.

 

And then there was the rendezvous at Babylon tonight. The more he had thought about it, the less he was certain he could follow through with meeting him there. These past few nights, he had virtually felt tormented in the knowledge that Brian was out tricking... that he was finding pleasure with another man. He knew that his jealousy was unfounded. Brian wasn't trying to hurt him, he was just trying to feed a need that had always been fed in this manner. If he couldn't feed that for him, Brian really had no other choice. He just hadn't expected things to escalate to a case of all or nothing. He had expected a balance to be reached, and that he could still be with Brian. Fuck, how he wanted him. Missed him. But even more than that, he just wanted to look at him and simply hear his voice. More than ever, his love for Brian overwhelmed him. His life had changed since meeting him. As the cab progressed closer to the Empire State Building, and Brian's office, Justin pondered the thought of changes, one, in particular, weighing the heaviest on his mind.

 

Could he give Brian what he most wanted? It was a question he'd never thought to have of himself. In actuality, it had never been a remote possibility, nor something he'd ever wanted. It just hadn't been him. He was a ‘top', and he knew he was good at it. He loved power... both on a business and personal level. However, he also remembered how good Brian had felt pressed up against his ass. Fuck. He wondered if Brian realized just how tempted he had been even then. Justin realized that was probably what had scared him the most. He had wanted to let Brian have him. And in being honest with himself, he realized that hadn't changed. He wanted to experience everything with Brian. He did trust him, and without a doubt, he loved him.

 

Justin had to ask himself one simple question. What the hell was he waiting for?

 


 

Cynthia peeked her head into Brian's office, frowning when she observed him idly tapping his pen on the desk. "Brian, do you need anything before I leave?"

 

Brian blinked. He heard the question, knew that Cynthia was standing in his doorway, yet found himself responding in a delayed manner. He was distracted, and the source of that condition was the same as it had been for the past several days. Justin Taylor. "No, Cynthia." Brian finally focused enough to answer. "Is Ted gone?"

 

"Uhhh, yeah, he left about twenty minutes ago. He was in here to see you before he left." Cynthia closed the door behind her and walked toward her boss' desk. "Is something wrong, Brian?"

 

Brian remained silent, his gaze rapt on the magazine that lay on his desk. It took him several moments to recognize Cynthia was still standing there, apparently waiting for an answer. He shook his head, unable to remember what she had asked him. He gave her a blank look, not admitting that he hadn't heard a word she had said; although realizing few people knew him as well as his PA, he knew she would be aware. "What?" he grumbled, instantly wanting to resolve whatever problem she thought she had, so he could go back to his solitude.

 

Looking down at the magazine on his desk, and clearly seeing Brian's face all over the cover, she brazenly reached for it, staring at it with mixed emotions. "This is the premiere edition of Metropolitan Man NY, isn't it? Hell, Brian... you'd better start adding to the art team and getting us some office help. Do you realize what kind of increase in business Kinnetik will have, once this hits the newsstands?"

 

Brian grunted. "You sound exactly like Taylor."

 

Cynthia grinned. "I can think of worse people to sound like..."

 

"I thought you were leaving?" Brian snapped, the subject of Justin Taylor the last thing he wanted to discuss right now. As it was, he couldn't get the man off of his mind. This was not how he functioned. He needed to get a handle on it... and soon.

 

Replacing the magazine on Brian's desk, Cynthia could barely stifle her laughter as she raised her hands and backed away. "You got it, boss man." She shook her head as she walked to the door, turning back to tell him, "I know it's not any of my business, but you know me." When she received the standard cold, and uncaring Brian Kinney stare, she told him, ‘I don't buy it, Brian. There's something amazing happening between you and Justin. Don't screw it up."

 

"You're right; it isn't your business." Brian's voice was droll and a slight bit condescending. He didn't know why he bothered, though. Cynthia didn't fall for it. She never had. "The ball's in his court now. I'm not trying to screw anything up."

 

"Good." Cynthia clicked her tongue, her hand reached to open the door. "I like Justin. He's been good for you, and I think you're good for him too. I hope it all works out... for both of you."

 

Brian nodded, watching as Cynthia walked through the door, quietly he echoed her statement. "I hope so too." Standing to his feet, Brian reached for his briefcase, seeing no reason to delay his departure. He frowned as he looked at the time. It was over four hours until he would leave for Babylon. He didn't want to wait that long to see Justin; he wanted to see him now. He knew there was still much they needed to discuss, and it had been obvious from Justin's messages to him earlier that Justin had a great deal on his mind. And if nothing else, Brian was always true to himself. He knew if they met at Babylon, using all of his experience to seduce the younger man would be almost irresistible.

 

He didn't look when he heard his door opening, scowling when he assumed Cynthia had returned for another round of well-meaning advice. "Cynthia, I told you to go home..." Brian turned around, his eyes widening on the face that smiled back at him, a face that wasn't his assistant, but instead, the man that had dominated all of his thoughts during the past week. "Justin, this is quite the surprise."

 

"Yeah, I got to thinking that Babylon might not be the best place to talk." Justin felt awkward, unaccustomed to being unsure of himself. "And I'm not sure how I would feel watching you take one man after another into the backroom."

 

Brian walked toward Justin, his lips rolling under as he surveyed the beautiful blond that he desired and loved almost unbearably. The man he used to be would be taking advantage of this unexpected opportunity. Justin was displaying vulnerability. He seemed hesitant, in fact, almost nervous. This was not the Justin Taylor that ruled his own world, and all the other lives that he touched. It would be a test to his own self-control not to push his sudden advantage. Once he was standing nearly toe-to-toe with Justin, he took in a deep breath, barely restraining his more predatory instincts when Justin nervously looked away from him. Who was this man? Fuck. His instincts urged him to pounce and ease the ache that had been consuming him since the night they had met in the hotel bar.

 

Placing a finger under Justin's chin, he pulled it to face him, desire and understanding warring in his eyes. "Justin, look at me. Where's my arrogant dominant, the man that can freeze a man with a single glance?"

 

Justin chuckled. "I'd like to know that too. Apparently, the ice has thawed."

 

"Well, allow me to clarify this for you again. You are the one I care about, not any trick I pick up at Babylon, or anywhere else. They are a mere vessel for release and quickly forgotten. You should never feel threatened by any of them." Brian angled Justin's face up, lowering his lips to claim Justin's in a slow, intentionally drugging kiss. He sipped at Justin's lips, his tongue slowly sliding over them, stroking them apart, his tongue accepting what the parted lips offered him, a deep and thorough expression of all that he desired to explore with the younger man. "What do I have to do to convince you of that?"

 

A low moan tore from Justin's throat, his hand cupping the back of Brian's neck. Huskily, he answered, "I think you're convincing me, stud."

 

Pulling back, wondering, or perhaps more than that - hoping - that Justin's words held a double meaning, Brian asked, "I have to ask exactly what I am convincing you of..."

 

Justin bit his lip, knowing he would be unable to deny telling him what had been on his mind all day. His hesitancy since he arrived would tell an experienced top all he needed to know.  This wasn't how he planned on this going, but as usual, when he was with Brian, it was virtually impossible to remain focused. Justin smiled, knowing it was time to accept the inevitable and follow the path that destiny had decreed. Now that he thought about it, and was able to be honest with himself, he realized not only was this what he wanted, but what Brian deserved. He loved and trusted Brian. This was the only way he could prove that. And then, he hoped they would have a future.

 

His smile becoming purely sexual, the desire radiating from his body, Justin's eyes glittered with lust for the only man that could fulfill him now. His voice was a low growl when he spoke, "Don't go to Babylon later tonight. Fuck me instead."

 

TBC