- Text Size +

 

Michael Novotny stood banging at the door, his pitch beginning to screech each time he knocked. "B-Brian! Wake up!" He knocked again, this time even louder. "BRIAN!"

 

The door from the penthouse down the hall opened, the voice irate when it was heard. "Will you shut the hell up! Some of us are still trying to sleep."

 

"So go back to sleep! No one's stopping you!" Michael groused. He knocked again, screaming even louder, "BRIAAAAAN!"

 

Violently, the door wrenched open, Brian standing with his hair still damp with a towel wrapped around his waist. He glared at the man that was supposed to be his best friend; however, his actions now made him wonder if that assessment was correct. "What the fuck is your problem, Michael? It's 6 a.m. That's in the morning in case you have been out all night partying and have no sense of clarity..."

 

"I know what time it is, Brian. And you would know about that if you had shown up at Babylon last night. Where the fuck have you been? I needed to talk to you!" Michael's eyes were wide and accusing, both of them ignoring the neighbor slamming the door and mumbling underneath his breath.

 

"Get in here before you wake the entire floor." Brian shook his head, grumbling as he locked the door behind him. "I've worked hard to keep a low profile here... which isn't easy with my lifestyle. There are only two other penthouses on this floor, and you've managed to piss off one of them. This had better be life or death." Continuing to scowl, Brian added, "it could just end up being death..."

 

"Uhhh, go get dressed and dry your hair. I can wait." Michael relaxed, looking around, relieved to see that Brian appeared to be alone. "You didn't go to Babylon last night, and there's no trick hanging around. What the fuck is up, Bri?"

 

"Now you can wait..." Brian swore. "Start a pot of coffee, Mikey. I'll be back in about ten minutes." Brian compressed his lips as he walked away. This was not the morning for Michael to pull his paranoid and clinging bullshit. He was meeting Justin Taylor this morning for a meeting that could skyrocket Kinnetik to new heights. Michael's problem couldn't be more significant than that. Nothing could interfere with his focus for this meeting.

 

Not one to rush when it came to perfecting his visual appearance, Brian took his time, scrutinizing every aspect of the man and image he represented. Once he was finished, he surveyed himself from every possible angle, smiling in approval. "Hot." Brian mouthed to the mirror, something he often found himself doing, primarily before his nightly trips to Babylon. Let's see how Justin Taylor reacted to him in this mode of dress. On both meetings, he had been in mostly casual wear. Anything that took the arrogant Mr. Taylor out of his ultra-superior and confident frame of mind, would be an advantage for him. The scales had been largely tipped in Justin Taylor's favor from their first meeting. Something closer to a neutral balance would be ideal at this point; although, after a couple of tumultuous meetings with the younger man, he realized such a balance would be hard to reach - if not completely improbable.

 

Ignoring Michael's somewhat transfixed expression, Brian proceeded directly to the coffee maker, pouring himself a full cup, knowing he would probably be drinking three such cups before he was finished with Michael's current crisis. Raising a brow at Michael's anxious, yet admiring stare, Brian shook his head in what was always known to be a show of his impatience. "Well? I have a full schedule today. What's the emergency?"

 

Michael sighed, his eyes becoming wide and pained. "David broke things off with me last night. I tried to call you for hours. You didn't answer. I thought for sure you would show up at Babylon at some point; you always do. But you stayed out of touch all night, Brian. All night!"

 

Compressing his lips, nodding his head in mock agreement, Brian found himself morosely acknowledging, "A grievous crime for certain. I'm not sure how we can get past such an unforgivable act."

 

"Jokes - really, Brian? My life is in turmoil... and that's all you have to say!?" Michael shrieked, unable to fathom how his best friend could be so uncaring about his devastating news.

 

Brian placed his empty cup on the bar, pouring himself another, wishing the circumstances of his morning made it so he could add some liberal shots of mind-numbing alcohol into the mix. There wasn't a doubt in his mind, if this encounter wasn't over soon, he would be arriving at the office with a throbbing headache. That wasn't how he wanted to start this day. "I don't know what you want me to say, Michael." He pierced Michael with an intense stare. "You know how I felt about David. I tried to stop you from getting in too deep with him... but you allowed yourself to be seduced by his apparent charm." Brian snorted. "A charm I never did see... but to each his own."

 

"I loved him, Brian. He just expected too much from me, and that's what caused the break." Michael frowned, his mind going back to his last talk with David, unbelievably not face-to-face, but on the phone. "Would you believe he called me to break up? He couldn't even wait until he returned from his trip."

 

"Would you rather he had just sent a text message?" In his mind, it was in Michael's best interest. He had never liked Dr. David Cameron. On many occasions, he had detected falseness in the man. He was hypocritical, and despite Michael's faults, he deserved better. Brian glanced at his Rolex, shaking his head in irritation. He had wanted to be in the office early today. It was Monday, and he had a full calendar. He intended for everything to run smoothly before his meeting with Justin Taylor. Delays to start the day wasn't something he needed. "Listen, Michael, I know you are upset, but there isn't much I can do or say to make that better. David was an ass. I told you that then, and I am telling you it now too. I am not the one to approach for this kind of advice. Talk to Ted or Emmett. They can comfort you and make you feel everything is right in the world again. I am not THAT guy."

 

Michael began to sputter, his jaw dropping down in shock. "B-but B-Brian... you're my best friend. I-I needed you. I need you now. Tell m-me what to do. P-please..."

 

Brian looked away, not heartless to his best friend's pleas, but in a way feeling helpless in knowing how to help him. For fuck's sake, he was Brian Kinney. This was far out of his line of expertise. "Listen, we can hang out later. I just can't do this now. In the meantime, call Emmett. I'm sure he can help you more."

 

"You mean it? We can hang out later? Just the two of us?" Michael asked eagerly, the light of hope suddenly appearing in his eyes.

 

Brian groaned. Fuck. That wasn't what he had meant, but it appeared that was the only way to send Michael on his way. "Sure. Why not? We haven't done that for a while. Meet me here around seven. We can order some dinner. I will supply the alcohol and drugs. How does that sound?"

 

"Great. Thank you, Brian. This is exactly what I needed!" Michael extorted gleefully. "I'll bring some Thai with me; I know how much you love it." Before Brian could change his mind, Michael rushed to the door, his mind and heart was already pounds lighter. Closing it behind him, he moved toward the elevator, a dreamy smile on his face. Once inside, he spoke the words aloud that, for the first time, he felt had a hope of being realized. "Goodbye David... Hello, Brian. I just needed to wait for the right time. My not so broken heart will give me that chance." Michael's grin became more cunning. "Thank you for that, David."

 


 

Justin stepped into the offices of Kinnetik, his eyes touching on everything in the lobby, the decor intriguing and different from anything he had ever seen in an advertising agency. Often, he had found them decorated in a way that promoted any past or current ad campaigns, displaying to a prospective new client what the agency had to offer. In this case, Brian Kinney hadn't elected to do that. The outer office displayed a bare minimum of decor, enough to capture the eye, but nothing too overwhelming. He moved slowly into the office, inclining his head to a few other men that sat waiting, his eyes glancing at the few pieces of framed artwork that were hanging on the walls. They were all originals, and very expensive. It appeared in another area, Brian Kinney had exquisite taste.

 

He moved forward, preparing to introduce himself, remaining silent when the woman that seemed to be who guarded the inner sanctum, looked at him with a wide smile, with what appeared to be immediate recognition. He realized he was often highly recognized; however, at times, it was unexpected. "Good morning," Justin spoke, certain no introduction would be in order.

 

"Good morning, Mr. Taylor. I'm Cynthia, Brian's PA." Smiling brightly, she offered, "Can I get you some refreshment? We have tea, coffee, water, and espresso." Lowering her voice to an almost conspiratorial fashion, she alluded, "I believe Brian has something more potent in his office... if that would be more preferable."

 

Justin laughed. He liked Cynthia already, and he also liked the informal feel of Brian's office. In his experience, titles often led to lower production. Keep your staff close, and they often work even harder to support and please you. Even though he had just met Brian's attractive PA, he sensed she would go over and beyond for her boss. "No, but thank you, Cynthia."

 

"Follow me, I will take you to Brian's office. He is expecting you." Cynthia stood from behind her desk, motioning Justin forward, for once, wishing she would have eyes and ears inside Brian's office. For some reason, she thought this meeting could be very interesting. The fact that Brian had secured this meeting so quickly had astounded her. How he did so was a mystery and something that greatly intrigued her.

 

Knocking once on the door at the far end of the hall, Cynthia opened it, not the least bit surprised when Brian immediately looked up. Whether he would admit it or not, she knew he was anxious for the arrival of his eleven o'clock. He had been irritable and snappy all morning. She suspected it had much to do with his upcoming meeting with Justin Taylor. "Brian, I have Mr. Taylor here."

 

Brian refrained from looking at Justin, his attention respectfully on his PA, in his mind knowing this game was well underway, and in the case of Justin Taylor, he couldn't afford any miscues. "Thank you, Cynthia. That will be all." He watched in slight amusement at the curiosity on Cynthia's face. She always wanted to know everything and still didn't know how this unlikely meeting had come about so quickly. Knowing her as he did, this lack of knowledge would drive her crazy.

 

Standing to his feet, adjusting his tie, his eyes now absorbing his prospective new client... along with what he hoped to evolve into even more, Brian moved forward, not the least bit frazzled when Justin's eyes moved over him in obvious appreciation. "Please come in and have a seat, Mr. Taylor. I know you must have a busy schedule, so I will do my best to move along quickly."

 

Justin nodded and smiled as he moved forward, for the moment, not responding with any sort of sexual connotations. Typically, that wasn't difficult in a business meeting. He was skilled in separating the two worlds; however, in the case of Brian Kinney, that would be put to the test. "Thank you... and please remember to call me Justin, whether in the office or not."

 

"As you wish... Justin." Brian wasn't certain it was wise to be on such a casual basis with this man, but as always, excelled at doing all he could to please the client. How he wanted to please this one and on a variety of levels. He only hoped he had that opportunity. "First of all, I would like to thank you for agreeing to this meeting. Being new to the city, and Kinnetik an unknown to you, I appreciate you giving me a chance."

 

"It's only a meeting, Brian. I haven't decided anything beyond that - yet." Justin took a seat across from Brian's desk, his eyes hungrily watching Brian take his seat behind it. Fuck, if the man didn't look even hotter in a professional, and designer label suit. He had embodied pure sex in his more casual wear, but in this suit and proper manner, Justin wanted to ravage the man from head to toe. He would achieve that desire. No matter if it was today, tomorrow, a week from now, or even longer, he was determined to sate himself in this perfect specimen of a man.

 

"Point taken," Brian agreed. "I am at a bit of a disadvantage for this meeting, but I will improvise as much as I can. I am aware that you must have a reputable advertising agency for your interests in Los Angeles. I assume that any agency you select here in New York will be for your current expansion project."

 

Justin nodded. "That's correct, at least for the moment. I don't rule out finding the right agency to take on both my LA interests and my future ones here in New York. It would be quite the task, with an enormous amount of prestige and fee attached, but something to consider down the road. For now, keeping the two bases separate is more optimal for me."

 

"A wise decision, Justin, and one that would enable you to observe the productivity of each division, and make a concise choice." Brian reached into his desk drawer, extending a large file that he placed on the front of his desk. "This is a file of finished and current advertising campaigns that I have personally handled within the past six months. There are photos, drawings, and letters of recommendation included in the file. I can produce more of the same files for more extensive dates - if you would like." Brian smiled engagingly at the attentive man, never more determined to close a deal.

 

Reaching for the file, Justin arched an eyebrow in surprise. He was impressed. For such a short time to prepare, it appeared that Brian was more than prepared for this meeting. That sort of attention to detail was vital to him. Whether the hot and apparently extremely efficient Mr. Kinney knew it or not, the meeting was going very well for the owner of Kinnetik. "I'm sure this will more than suffice, Brian. Give me a moment to review it."

 

"Take all the time you need, Justin." Brian's pitch lowered a notch, taking a chance in taking this initial meeting to another level, but using all of the skills he possessed to lend to his success. "I am a firm believer in going all out to please the client. I think my past history will indicate how successful I have been in achieving just that."

 

Justin scanned through a few more photos, his eyes skimming over the flattering recommendations, his decision already having been made about going into business with Kinnetik. He liked how Brian ran his office, and although he had only met one member of his staff, he didn't doubt the rapport that existed throughout the entirety of the organization. He could see from the prestigious clients listed, ones that offered Kinnetik the highest of praise, Brian was an astute and skilled businessman. He saw no reason to look further. However... it wasn't going to be that easy, especially since Brian was unnecessarily utilizing his sex appeal to make a point. The poor man wouldn't know what hit him when he placed what he knew would be an exclamation on that moot point.

 

His eyes raising, Justin affixed a smoky and focused glance on the man smirking arrogantly from the other side of the desk. So you want to play games, Mr. Kinney? Tsk tsk. You don't have the winning hand... but I do. Let's play. He placed the file back on Brian's desk, his eyes alternating from Brian's provocatively curved lips and the intense hazel eyes that electrified him. "I came here intending to stick exclusively to business, but you seek to use your immense sex appeal to lure me into the Kinnetik family? So unnecessary, Mr. Adman."

 

"Nothing that closes a deal is unnecessary." Brian detected a familiar fire in Justin's eyes, one he always displayed when at the beginning of an intense hunt. He needed to get this back on a firm business footing. Why had he strayed from it? He knew it to be dangerous in the presence of this man... and still, he had done it. If he didn't know himself better, he would say that he had been attempting to test the waters... but with Justin Taylor, at least, of all that he knew of him so far - that had been foolhardy. "Could I ask you a question regarding your expansion?"

 

"Certainly, Brian. Should I sign with Kinnetik, everything I plan here would need to be disclosed." Justin marveled at how much like himself Brian truly was. They could play this game all day, alternating with ease between business and sexual overtones. It was exhilarating. He hadn't felt this challenged in longer than he could remember.

 

"Thank you." Brian inclined his head politely. "Are you merely extending your operations to New York, or do you have something even more enterprising in mind?"

 

Justin laughed. "You are very astute, Brian. I like that. As much as an expansion to New York City would create more opportunities for the current label of Metropolitan Man, I have an even greater vision in mind." Justin stared at Brian intently, before he advised him, "This hasn't been released to the press yet, so your discretion would be appreciated..."

 

"Of course," Brian answered without hesitation. "Anything you say in this meeting is completely confidential."

 

"I believe you, Brian; if not, I wouldn't even consider a business alliance with you, no matter how hot you are." Justin gave a teasing wink. "Seriously, though, I am planning on a New York edition of Metropolitan Man. Not bonus editions, but an entirely new publication centered around the gay men and women of New York and its suburbs. Now... is that big enough for you to want to sink your teeth into?"

 

Brian whistled. "That's a huge project, and one that I think will be an immense success. What you have done with the LA publication has been nothing short of amazing. I've only been to Los Angeles a few times, and I am a subscriber for both home and at the office. I can only imagine how many other gay men do the same all around the country. It is a credit to the quality of your product. You should be proud of the accomplishment."

 

"Thank you, Brian. I take great pride in every interview, article, and photo that is placed in my magazine." He felt a slight moment of humility, something he had rarely if never felt. It made him feel at a sudden disadvantage, and that was something he never allowed. Such emotions were foreign to him. First, Sean's jealousy... and now this humbling feeling Brian had just evoked in him. He wasn't sure of the cause, but he needed to get things back in check. "That being said, I am going to give you an offer. One that I hope you won't refuse..."

 

"Sounds intriguing." Brian stapled his hands underneath his chin, resting his elbows on his desk, deliberately moving closer in the process, his eyes focused on the mesmerizing man seated across from him.

 

"I want to make a deal, one in which you benefit financially beyond your wildest dreams. Money, fame, and even free publicity for Kinnetik." Justin smiled, seeing that Brian was spellbound waiting to hear the rest. "I will sign exclusively with Kinnetik for all of my enterprises in New York. We can look at the rest at a later date. In exchange, I want you to be my cover story for the premiere issue of Metropolitan Man New York." Justin stood to his feet, determined he would leave this meeting having a clear advantage, feeling the balance had shifted to a small degree during this encounter.

 

"Featured in the premiere issue..." Brian pondered. "My my, aren't you just full of surprises, Mr. Magazine Man." Brian's eyes narrowed on Justin almost accusingly, yet he couldn't help but admire the younger man's drive and tenacity. "You came here with an agenda. I think you already investigated Kinnetik... me in particular. Now, you are using this opportunity to enhance your other... desires."

 

Justin wasn't about to deny what was blatantly obvious. It was exciting how this almost stranger read him so well. Fuck. They complimented each other on every level. In business, they would be a perfect unit... and in bed, they would be explosive. Justin couldn't wait to find out, and vowed this new venture would make it a reality even more quickly. Moving closer, until he was at the side of Brian's desk, almost within touching distance, Justin's voice was throaty, when he told him, "The fact that you can't predict my moves turns you on, Brian. Knowing that not just your perfect body, but the totality of you makes me burn to be inside you, makes your dick ache even more. What's the point in denying what we both know to be true?"

 

Brian knew he would call himself all kinds of a fool later, but he couldn't refute a single word. Justin was right, and he was invariably fucked. He wondered how long before it became a reality. "Fine. I accept your offer, Justin. You get your exclusive expose of me, and I get Metropolitan Man New York in the Kinnetik portfolio. It appears to be a win/win scenario for me."

 

Justin's eyes moved lustfully over Brian's form reclining in his office chair, his footsteps slowly moving behind him, turning to look out at the view afforded by Brian's office situated within the impressive Empire State Building. "I will enjoy spending time with you, Brian. I'll be following you as you go through your day... and then, later on, that same evening, watching and interacting with you, as I write the most explosive feature article has ever been written."

 

Brian swiveled around in his chair, his eyes wide and stunned. "Wait a minute. You will be interviewing me, and writing the article. What about the photographs?"

 

"Haven't you ever noticed my byline, Brian? I do write an occasional article... and I am a skilled photographer as well. You will be spending the entirety of your day with me." Justin turned around to look deeply into Brian's eyes, displaying all of his desire and determination. "Are you still game, Brian? You can still back out of our agreement..."

 

A muscle twitched in Brian's cheek. Back out? Never! That wasn't how he lived. This arrogant little fucker wouldn't make him start now. He extended his hand forward, determined to exude a confidence he only partially felt. "You have a deal, Mr. Taylor. Is tomorrow too soon for you, or do you need more time to prepare?"

 

Justin emitted a sultry laugh. "Prepare? I'm ready for you now, dear Brian; however, I want to follow a full day of your actions. Tomorrow it will be. If you would be so kind, I would like for you to pick me up at my hotel. Then, wherever you go... I will go. Think you can handle that?"

 

Not at all, Brian thought to himself... but there was no way he would admit to that. "I can handle anything... and anyone. In time, you will understand that."

 

"No, Brian. In time you will understand how much you want to simply let go and give in. When you do, I will be there." Justin lightly trailed his fingers along the back of Brian's neck, his mouth moving to almost touch his ear. "Let me tell you something else, Mr. Kinney. Are you listening?" Justin smiled when he heard Brian's breathing hitch, knowing he had his attention in more ways than one. He slid his tongue over the shell of Brian's ear, his dick aching in his pants, knowing only this man could succeed in soothing this particular ache. "You are immensely hot in your club attire... but like this, you are just assembled so perfectly - to others, almost untouchable. But not to me." Justin ran his hands down the front of Brian's jacket, his fingers pulling at the silken tie. "This look just makes me want to shred your tidy suit to pieces, bend you over, bind your wrists, and rim you within an inch of insanity. Then... well, I think you know what comes next."

 

Closing his eyes, as Justin's words washed over him in a series of evocative caresses, Brian moaned when Justin stepped away, knowing tomorrow would be the longest day of his life. Utilizing all the inner strength he possessed, Brian stood to his feet, effectively distancing himself from this hot temptation, aware that Justin read him far too well. "I guess we'll have to see. I will pick you up in the lobby around eight a.m. Or is that too early for a California boy?"

 

"I will be ready, Brian. This isn't just about me acquiring your fine ass; I am also intrigued about Brian Kinney the man. However..." Justin paused for the optimal effect. "In the end... I. Will. Have. It. All."

 

TBC