- Text Size +

Tragedy to Triumph

Prologue


The Taylor-Kinney household continued to flourish.  Gus decided to change his name so as soon as he was 18 he officially became Gus Kinney. His mama still wasn’t happy with his choices and by that point he wasn’t happy with her. He dated Mel for the remainder of the school year but when May came around and Gus graduated early he was off to Martha’s Vineyard.  George taught him so much and a pleasant surprise was George’s daughter. Marley.  She was a pretty, young woman and had the same open, pleasant personality as her father. The first summer they became best friends but over the next few summers, the friendship bloomed and by the time Gus finished culinary school George had a business proposal and Gus had a proposal of his own planned.  He asked Marley to marry him and she accepted.  George’s proposal was to help Gus and JR open a bakery as long as Gus would overnight desserts to the Island several times a week.  By the time they were 23 the bakery was a success.

JR had also found the love of his life.  Trevor was smart and handsome and only had eyes for JR.  They had actually met at a Kinnetik and Company event.  Trevor worked in Justin’s department and was a very talented artist.  It was love at first sight and within two months they had moved in together.

JR and Raymond continued to live with Ted and Victor. They were still close with their mom but when she had finished school she had been offered an amazing job and it was agreed by everyone that it was best for the boys to stay with a very willing Ted and Victor.

Aiden and Raymond were still friends but as they grew older they grew apart.  Brian and Justin had decided it was best for Aiden to go to a private school.  He would always be smaller than most boys his age and just couldn’t participate in many school activities.  He was accepted into a prestigious academy that focused on academics and Aiden thrived. 

Cass had moved out as planned and in the spring, when she finished grad school she moved away and married her boyfriend.  All of them missed her but they knew it would happen sooner or later and they wanted her to be happy.

Jennifer and Joe loved married life and both had retired shortly after so they could travel and be free to help with the grandchildren. One of them would help with Aiden most days after school. Molly’s pregnancy was textbook and she gave birth to a precious baby boy who they named Spencer Jr. after his daddy.

Kinnetik and Company had reopened after the first of the year and business multiplied. Soon the new building was filled to capacity and they were turning business away. The combination of Brian and Justin’s skills in one company gave them many services other agencies didn’t have. 


As time went on Brian and Justin would talk to Cass a couple times a year.  One time she ended up on their doorstep.  She had a black eye and bruises on her arms.  Her husband had blamed her for the miscarriage she had.  But when he came back, pleading for forgiveness, stating he had just been distraught over the loss of their baby girl, Cass left with him but not before Brian and Justin had talked to her, letting her know she could always come back if she decided to leave him.  She thanked them but assured them she would be fine.

On their fourth wedding anniversary Marley gave birth to their daughter.  Fiona had a mop of dark wavy hair just like her daddy and big blue eyes that stole her grandfathers’ hearts instantly as well as her Uncle Aiden’s. 

By the time Fiona was born Aiden was 16 and spent as much time with his brother and sister in law as he could. He could spend hours holding his niece.  He had decided to go into pediatrics like his Uncle Victor. He had started taking some general college courses online and would go to campus when his courses required it.  


In one evening everything changed.  Marley and Fiona had stopped by the bakery so her daddy could have some snuggle time and Marley could eat her favorite pastry.  It was about 4:00 when Gus locked Fiona into her carseat and then took Marley into his arms and kissed her. “I should be home by 6:00 at the latest.  JR is closing up today.”

“Hey, Gus,” JR called from the door of the restaurant. “That salesman is on the phone.” 

“I gotta go.” Gus turned and moved toward the door.

“I love you, Gus” She called back as Gus entered the bakery”

Gus took care of the salesman on the phone and did a little more work in the office. It was about 5:15 when JR walked into Gus’ office and a man he had never seen before followed him in. “Gus,” JR walked around his desk and put a hand on his shoulder as the gentleman took out a wallet and showed them his badge.

“What is this, JR? I need to get moving. I promised Marley I would…” his voice trailed off when he looked at the police officer’s face. “JR?”

“Mr. Kinney, I’m afraid there was an accident. A car ran a red light and hit your wife’s car. I am sorry to tell you that your wife…”

“No, don’t say it.  Marley was just here. I kissed her goodbye.  I put my daughter...OH GOD, Fiona.  Which hospital are they in? I need to go see them.”

“Sir, your wife has passed away but your daughter was taken to the Children’s Hospital. I can take you there if you would like me to.”

Gus stood up and JR hugged him.  “I will have your dads meet you there.  I will be there as soon as I can get this place closed up.”

 

Gus followed the policeman out the door in a total daze. Gus Kinney’s life had just changed forever.

 

The End.
Simply written is the author of 41 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked The Man I Hate? 4 Aiden's Plight also liked 106 other stories.
This story is part of the series, The Cabin in Montana. The previous story in the series is The Man I Hate? 3 Let's Discuss Gus. The next story in the series is The Man I Hate? 5 Tragedy to Triumph.