- Text Size +

Chapter 5


Wednesday at noon Mel and Justin arrived at Brian’s office. Justin had boxed lunches for each of them and they sat around the table in the back room planning the conversation they would have with Daklin and his attorney, Mr. Clampet.

“Clampet, seriously? Mr. Clampet is his attorney?” Brian said as he took a big bite of the sandwich. 

“His name may make him sound like a hillbilly but trust me, he is no country bumpkin.  He is sharp, much smarter than the previous guy he had on retainer.”

“Are you worried, Mel?” Justin set his sandwich down. “Mel, what does he have that scares you.”

“I am not sure.  They said they would be emailing over documents about 12:45 our time.  Obviously they want to keep us in the dark as long as they can. I just got the feeling that I’ve missed something. Is there anything either of you haven’t told me?”

“I told you I went there.  You know that,” Brian took another bite followed by a swallow of water.

“Ya, and I told him you were just a worried asshole.  I think there is something else.  Could something have happened when you signed the original paperwork, Justin?”

“Lots happened. I can’t think  of anything specific.  We had a lot of fights over the phone.  Doesn’t Aiden’s condition carry a lot of weight. I will not let him go across the country without me.”  

Mel looked at Justin and then at Brian.  Brian nodded at her.  “Let me go check with Cynthia.  I think the documents will be at her desk soon.” Mel slipped out of the room.

Brian turned his chair to face Justin and took Justin’s hands in his. “Baby, look at me.”

“I am looking at you.”

“Well, you need to focus on what I am saying. You didn’t do anything you shouldn’t have.  I was there for most of it.  Dak hadn’t been around.  He hadn’t gotten to know Aiden at all.  We need to have a united front.  We aren’t going to say much during this call.  Let Mel do that. She will have read the lawyer’s document and she will just respond to the document and know what to bring in front of the courts to get a slot on the docket.”

“Brian, this is just killing me.”

“I know.  It isn’t easy for me, either. So we both have to sit there and just agree with Mel. We have to trust her with this.”  He leaned forward and took him in his arms, kissing him.  “Let Mel get all over excited, and you know she will if she doesn’t like what the documents say, she will tear them apart the legal way”

“Thank you, Brian.  You can always make me see clearly.”

“Now, eat some of that sandwich.” Justin picked it up and took a bite. 

By the time Mel returned with the documents, Justin had managed to eat most of it.  “Mel, what does it say? Is it really bad?” Justin asked as he reached for Brian’s hand.

“Well, I warned you Mr. Clampet is good.  I actually just talked to him on the phone and he isn’t calling back.”

“But we were supposed to….”

“He doesn’t want to talk until we meet in court.  He did give me dates that don’t work for him so hopefully the judge can make something work.  This document,” she held up papers in her hand, “is already in the hand of the judge.  I don’t know how Clampet managed it but he already has the court date.”

“When is it?”

“Four weeks from today we will be in court.  By then, Aiden will need to speak with a court appointed social worker and, I hate to do this, but he is requesting a full work up done on Aiden and I know the judge will allow that.”

“Well, it could be worse.  He had to go back in early November.  We will just move it up a few weeks.” Justin sighed.  “I am just glad we have a date and know when this will be over.”

“I am going to head back to the office,” Mel said.  “I need to review this in detail.  I will send both of you a detailed explanation of all of this and then we can put a game plan together.”

Brian and Justin said goodbye as she rushed out of the room. “I get the feeling there is something else in that document.” 

Brian pulled Justin into his arms. “If there is, she will tell us when she has had time to research it. We trust her, right?”

“I do, and you’re right.  I know she will fight for us.” He kissed Brian.  “I better get back to the office.  Someone has been sending me a lot of work lately.”

Brian smiled.  “I have been sending a lot your way.  I know now isn’t the time to talk about major business changes but I have been thinking it might be time to combine our businesses.  After the first of the year I think we should come up with a new name and…”

“You cannot change the company’s name. You have been in business too long and have a large clientele but I do like the idea of merging.” Justin pressed against Brian and smiled.
“To hell with the office, let’s merge.”

“Oh, I love the way you think, partner!” 


After making love on the conference table, they sat on the sofa. “Brian, how about just calling it Kinnetik and Associates. Your building isn’t big enough to absorb us though.”

“We are getting too crowded the way it is, which is one of the reasons I thought about merging. We can sell the two other buildings and find a bigger one together.”

“That sounds perfect and think of how many lunch ‘dates’ we can have.”

“That will be great but, Justin, I want you here because you have skills that I can’t find anywhere else.  I see your work coming through here with our mutual partners and, damn, I can tell instantly if you did it or someone else.  I mean, all of your employees are good but you are their leader and your work is stunning.  I think being in the same office will increase our business and I think we need to find the right building and then you and I can have adjoining offices with a shared back room.”

“Oh, I love the way you think.” Justin laughed, using the same words Brian did earlier. “But, now I do need to go back.  I am picking up the little boys today.  You do realize the car we are looking at for Gus won’t allow him to pick up the kids for us.  Maybe we should look at something like a Jeep or something.  You always tell me how much you enjoyed yours when you had one.”

“You know, that might not be a bad idea. In fact, as always, you thought this through much better than I did.”

“Let me know what time you will be home tonight.  Aiden wants to help Gus make dinner so we should have an idea of the time.  Oh, and I will get an appointment with Victor but let’s not tell Aiden yet.  He gets so nervous before them.”

“If it wasn’t for Victor being our doctor I don’t know if I could do it twice a year. I swear it hurts Victor as much as it hurts Aiden.” Justin kissed Brian once more.  “Now I am out of here.”  He sidestepped from Brian’s attempt to grab him one last time and he left the office.


Justin had scheduled Aiden’s appointment and now, two weeks later, it was time to tell him.  Gus made Aiden’s favorite dinner and Brian had picked up some of his favorite ice cream on his way home.  Of all days, Justin got home later than usual and Gus was setting the food on the table when he walked in the door.

“Daddy, you are so late.  I was afraid you weren’t going to make it. Gus made my favorite.  It is mac and cheese and not the kind out of the box.  It is his homemade.  You remember how good that is.” 

Justin smiled and pulled Aiden into his arms, kissing his cheek. “Oh, Aiden, I love you!”

“I love you, too, Daddy.  Can we eat now?”

“Of course we can, baby.”

Brian walked over and kissed Justin.  Very softly he said, “We’ll tell him after dessert.”

“Daddies, quit kissing and come to the table.  I’m starving.” Aiden called out while Gus had to laugh at his little brother but he felt sorry for him, too. If he could go to the doctor for him he would but he didn't think he would be nearly as tough as Little Bro was.

“Gus, why do you look so sad.” 

Gus snapped out of it.  “I’m afraid you’ll eat all of the mac and cheese.”

Brian and Justin sat at the table while Aiden giggled at Gus.

As they ate, Aiden paused.  “Guys, it’s not my birthday. It’s almost Gus’ birthday. Why did you make all my favorites?”  Aiden looked around the table. He got on his knees and turned to look at Justin.  Putting a hand on either side of his face, Aiden said, “Daddy, don’t lie to me.  Do I have to see Dr. Victor?”

Tears sprang to Justin’s eyes, “Yes, Aiden.  Tomorrow morning you will be seeing Victor.”  Justin realized Aiden switched from Uncle to Dr.  It was the way he kept his beloved friend separate from his doctor.

“Oh, Daddy, why? I thought it was next month.  You said when it got cold I had to go. It is only chilly.  I don’t have to go until it is really cold. I won’t go.”

Justin wrapped his arms around Aiden and held him tight.  Gus slipped away.  He couldn’t watch his little brother get so upset. Brian followed him out of the room and found him leaning against the wall in the hallway.  Gus through his arms around Brian’s neck.  “Dad, why does he have to go through this. Why can’t someone find a cure for this shit? I just want to…” Gus got quiet for a minute and then stood up straight and said, “I’m fine, Dad.  Go back in.  I’ll be back in a minute.”

Brian wrapped his arms around Justin and Aiden. “Big Daddy, why didn’t you tell me?” Aiden finally said. “I know Daddy can’t tell me but you should have told me.”

“Oh, Aiden, we just didn’t want you to worry for a long time.”

“Why are we doing it now.  I know Dr. Victor said November.  It isn’t even Halloween.”

“You know Gus’ mom is helping us with some troubles, right?” Brian said but Justin was shaking his head.  “Justin, it’s time.” Brian lifted Aiden onto his lap as he sat down.

“Time for what, Big Daddy? Do I have to go into the hospital again?”  Aiden’s face broke Brian’s heart and he was glad Justin couldn’t see it from this angle.

“Oh, no, Aiden.  Victor hasn’t said that at all.  Remember Gus’ mom, Mel?” Aiden nodded. “Remember when we told you that Daddy was married to Daklin when you were born?”  He nodded again.  “Well, he wants to get visitation with you.” 

“I wouldn’t mind.  If Daddy liked him I don’t mind if he visits me.”

Brian knew the word custody would freak Aiden out.  They had used that word a lot because Raymond’s dad had just lost custody and Ted and Victor had received full custody until further notice. If Aiden heard Daklin wanted custody he might freak out.  

Justin thought quickly, “Baby, Mel will talk to the judge so he knows that you need to live with us all the time, like you do now and if Dak wants to get to know you he needs to do it in Pittsburgh.”

“Where else would he see me?”

“Remember I told you when I lived in Washington?”

“You said it was close to the cabin.”

“Well, Dak would like you to visit him there.”

Aiden sat on Brian’s lap but was looking at Justin.  He was quiet for a long moment and then said, “I’ll just tell the judge that you need custody of me because we love each other and he might be nice but he doesn’t know me.”  Justin opened his arms and Aiden scampered to his lap, wrapping his arms around Justin’s neck.  After he kissed his daddy, he smiled at Justin and said, “Can we have ice cream now?”

“I’ll get it,” Gus said, who had just walked back into the room.  


The rest of the night was more somber than usual. Aiden wanted Brian to read him a story so Justin helped Gus clean up the kitchen. “Gus, I know this is hard on you, too.”

“Dad, I just wish I could do it for him.  He’s so little and he has had to do this so many times and now that fucker, Daklin, is  trying to… he’s… Dad, he can’t have him.  He belongs right here where we can take care of him.”

Justin was surprised when Gus threw his arms around him and Justin held him tightly.  “Gus, your mom will take care of it.  He isn’t going anywhere.”  Gus opened his mouth but Justin held up his hand.  “Please don’t say anything.  I am having a hard enough time.”  Justin kissed Gus.  “Just know you are the best big brother a little boy could have and no matter what, I know you will be there for him.”

“Thanks, Dad. He just has to go through so much and he stays so sweet.”

“He is a great kid. All I can say is I hope Daklin found his heart and when he sees what he’s doing to us...if I hadn’t left in the first place, I would have never met Daklin. I feel it is my fault but that is not your problem.” Justin closed the dishwasher. “This is all going to work out and I am glad you talked about it.  I know sometimes we are so focused on Aid that you get lost in the crowd a bit.”

“No, Dad, never.  I am grown.  I understand.”

“Well, always know you can talk to us.”

“I know, Dad.  I love you.” Gus hugged him once more.  “And, Dad, if Dad isn’t here and you need to talk, I am old enough to hold my own.”

“I know you are.  I love you, too. Now, go do something fun.”

“I am actually going to take my homework out to Cass.  She said she would help me.  I want this paper to be perfect.”

“Go, just set the alarm when you come in.”

Gus grabbed his backpack and headed out the back door while Justin took a deep breath and went to find Brian and Aiden.  He walked up the steps to find Brian and Aiden in the master bedroom where Brian lay stretched on the bed with Aiden’s head laying on his upper arm. He stopped and looked at them from the door. He took another deep breath and then walked in softly, not wanting to take Aiden’s attention away from Brian.  He was reading Aiden’s favorite story using different voices for each character. Aiden didn’t even look at him until Justin slid up next to him, leaning over and kissing the top of Aiden’s head and then laid his head against the headboard.  

“The End,” Brian and Aiden said in unison.

“Daddies, can I sleep right here between you tonight?” Aiden looked at Brian and then Justin.

“Of course you can, Aid. Why don’t you go use the bathroom and if you want to bring one friend with you go pick one.”  As soon as he was in the bathroom, Justin pulled Brian close and kissed him. “We have the best family ever, and I don’t care what anyone says.”

Brian’s hand moved down Justin’s back and rested on his ass, pulling him close. He rolled so Justin was pressed into the mattress. The kiss deepened and just as Brian was undoing Justin’s fly they both felt a squirming motion, trying to separate them. Brian laughed as he rolled off Justin. “I’ll going to go get ready for bed.” Brian walked into the bathroom.

Justin tucked Aiden in the middle of the bed. Aiden looked up at him and said, “Daddy, thank you for letting me sleep here.  It makes me feel safe.”

“You know you are always safe with us, right?”

“I do.” Aiden snuggled close to Justin.  

Brian came out with shorts and a T-shirt on and Justin went to change.  By the time he came back, Aiden was sound asleep curled next to Brian. “Oh, be still my heart.” Justin walked around to Brian and sat on the edge of the bed.  “You know you started something earlier.” Justin took Brian’s hand and laid it on his crotch but Brian slid it lower and came up a leg of Justin’s shorts. His fingers slipped into his briefs and Justin moved to kiss him. They continued to kiss as Brian brought Justin closer to the edge and when he knew he was cumming they locked their lips together so Brian could absorb the sound of Justin’s reaction.

Justin then dropped to his knees and without words had Brian turn on his side and, after some adjustment, he took Brian in his mouth.  Brian grit his teeth as he gave in to Justin’s attention.  Justin then moved up and kissed him, sharing his own taste with him.  Justin whispered, “I needed that tonight. I needed part of you. I feel stronger.”

“You are always strong. We will deal with this and then our life will only get better.” Brian kissed him once more and then Justin went back around to his side and got in bed. Justin moved close to Aiden.  


“Gus, what’s wrong? I know you usually do much better than this.” Cass laid her hand on his shoulder.

Gus set his computer down on the coffee table and stood up, pacing back and forth. “It’s Aiden.  He broke my heart tonight.  He has to have a full exam and for him that means a lot and he found out about the fucker taking them to court.”

Cass walked across the room and put her arms around him. “Gus, you are such a kind hearted guy.  I know this is hard but that kid has so many people supporting him and Victor is such a good friend. That has to help a little.”

“I just wish I could go through it for him.  He has had way more pain in six years than I have in seventeen.”  Gus held onto Cass tightly.

Cass kissed his forehead.  “Gus, we all love him.  And as hard as it is, he will make it.”

“I know but...damn…” Gus looked down into her eyes, “you are so beautiful.” Before either of them could stop themselves, their lips met. Gus’ hands slipped under the hem of her shirt and felt her flesh under her fingers.  His hands moved up but as soon as he touched her bra he stopped.  “I’m sorry.  I know better. Fuck, I am screwing up all over the place.

Cass took a step away but reached for his hand, “Gus you didn’t screw up.  You are a caring man who loves his brother and isn’t quite sure what to do with his feelings.”

“I need to get this paper done.” 

“Use that emotion to finish your writing.” Cass reached up and brushed a curl off his forehead.

Gus walked back to the sofa and sat down, picking up his computer, he started typing. Cass smiled at the beautiful young man in her living room.  She got him a bottle of water and he typed away.  An hour later, tears ran down Cass’ cheeks as she read his story. “Oh, Gus, this is so beautiful. I only added a couple commas. This will bring you up to an A no matter what.”

“Thanks, Cass.  I better get to the house.  They will worry soon.”  Gus stood and put his computer in his backpack.  “Cass, thanks for…”

“Get going.  You need to get some sleep.” Cass watched him walk down the steps and then shut the door and leaned against it.  She knew she was too old for that man but maybe someday. 

Gus locked up the house and set the alarm.  Going upstairs he looked into Aiden’s room but it was empty.  He went to his dads room and peeked in. He saw everyone in the bed.  Justin’s head popped up and he waved Gus over. “How did the writing go?” he whispered.

“It went well.” He wasn’t sure why but he laid down but Justin wrapped his arms around him.


“Shit,” Brian said as the alarm went off. He sat up and looked over at  Justin.  “What the…” he said when he saw Gus there, too. 

Aiden wrapped his arms around Justin’s neck. “Morning, Daddy.” 

“Morning, love.”

“What is Gus doing in bed with us?” Aiden asked.

“I was going to ask the same thing,” Brian said.

“Aren’t I part of the family?” Gus said, pulling Aiden over to him and kissing his cheek.  Brian pulled Justin over to him and Justin gave him a quick kiss.

“If you think that is a morning kiss…” Brian pinned him to the mattress and his tongue invaded Justin’s mouth.

Gus stood up, taking Aiden with him.  “Why don’t you come with me while I get ready for school or you are going to see something you are way too young to see.”

“I have seen them kiss a lot.”  Aiden said looking over Gus’ shoulder as he moved out of the room.  

“Damn, I love those boys,” Brian said as he started pulling down Justin’s shorts as he turned him to his side. Brian slid into him.


Aiden watched TV in Gus’ room as he showered and then chattered at Gus as Gus got ready for school. “Gus, can we have a sleepover party in here sometime?”

“Sure! Do you think you will be a little tired tonight?”  Aiden’s face went solemn and he nodded.  “How about tomorrow night you and I have a no adults party?”

“Really, Gus?”

“And if you are still a little tired I promise we will do it very soon.”

“Promise?” Aiden asked.

“I promise!” Gus hugged him.

“I love you, Gus.  I better go get dressed.”

“Love you, too, Little Bro.” Gus said as Aiden left the room.


After Justin showered and dressed he went to look for Aiden.  He heard some noise in Aiden’s room.  He was already all dressed.  “Hi Daddy, when do we have to go?”

“I can’t eat can I?”

“Not right now but you know Victor will have something for you.”

“Yes, he always has good stuff for me when they get done poking me for blood.”

“I think we are very lucky that your doctor loves you almost as much as we do.”

“Daddy, is it bad that I sometimes don’t like Dr. Victor even though I love Uncle Victor?”

“I think that makes you a very normal boy.”


Brian, Justin, and Aiden arrived for their appointment at 9:00 a.m. and the nurse immediately took them back so a tech could draw several vials of blood from Aiden. Each of his daddies held a hand.  They had learned long ago how to make sure they were not in the way and they knew Victor always made sure they did this in the exam room so Aid didn’t have to go to the lab area. The blood draw done, it was time to collect urine.  This was Aiden’s favorite part.  The nurse placed a collection container in the toilet.  It always looked like any plastic pan but as Aiden peed a picture would appear. It was always fun to see what it would be. This time it was a cartoon picture of a cowardly lion. Brian and Justin both had to come see the picture and then Aiden giggled  because both his dads were looking at his pee.  The nurse had to laugh at the three ‘boys’ laughing in the room.  “Boys, never grow out of laughing at pee.” As she walked out, Victor walked in, noticing her smile.

“Bonjour, mon petit,” Victor said as he walked in carrying a bag.

“Bonjour, Docteur. Qu'avez-vous apporté pour le petit déjeuner?” Aiden rattled off in French.

“Well, listen to you!” Victor responded. “Since you asked, I have gotten you a breakfast sandwich and breakfast tots.”  He pulled out a wrapped croissant and a container with the potatoes.

Victor lifted Aiden up to the exam table where the food was sitting. “I hope ham, egg and cheese is still your favorite.”

“Yummy!  It is. Is there ketchup for the hash browns?” Brian dug into the bag and opened a couple packets of ketchup for Aiden and then popped one of the potatoes in his mouth.  “Big Daddy!” Aiden said but then smiled up at him.  “That’s OK.  I can’t eat all of this on my own.”

“Hello, my friends.” Victor hugged Justin and then Brian.

“Dr. Victor?” Aiden said as he talked through a bite. “Do I have to have more tests?”

“Well, mon petit, I need to go check on the results of the blood draw, and then I will know what more we have to check out.” Victor’s phone beeped.  He looked at it.  “And that tells me they are ready.  You eat some more and,” he looked at Brian and Justin, “I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

When Victor returned in ten minutes, he wasn’t smiling but he didn’t look worried.  “Uncle, oops, Dr. Victor,  what does my blood say?”

“Well, it isn’t perfect but it isn’t bad.” Victor looked at Aiden and then at Brian and Justin.  “I am going to do a transfusion today. Mon petit, I know that means another poke but it isn’t the one that hurts bad.  It will be just one more poke and…”

“And then I have to sit and wait for the blood to get in me.”

“Yes, that’s right but remember then you usually feel more energetic for a while.”

“Ya, that’s not so bad.” 

“Let’s take you to the transfusion room and you can pick any show you want to watch.”

A few minutes later a tech was hooking Aiden up and Brian and Aiden were picking a movie to watch.  Victor took Justin’s arm and they walked out into the hallway. “Victor,  is there something you couldn’t say in front of Aid?”

“No, Justin, his count was down a few points but overall he is doing well.”

“But the transfusion? He hasn’t needed one of those for a while.”

“Justin,” Victor pulled him into an alcove. “He definitely can use the red blood cells but…” Victor lowered his voice, “I ordered it this time so when I get called into court, I can honestly say he has needed the transfusion recently.  Any other doctor would look at the results and have done the same thing.  Most doctors don’t have the experience I do with this disease and anyone else looking at the counts would have done the exact same thing.  Plus, he is going to be very stressed out during this, which will definitely make it touch on him.”

Justin hugged Victor, “You are an amazing man, Victor Gerard. Thank you.”


“Il m'est si cher. Oh I am sorry,” Victor smiled.  “He is so dear to me. You and Brian have created that boy to be such a special child.  I will say that to anyone.  The two of you have made him who he is and with every fiber of my body, I will say that to anyone who will listen. If I have anything to say about it, no one will take that child, not for a week, not for a day, not for a minute.”

Justin again hugged him, “Thank you, Victor.  I don’t know what we would do without you.”

“You and Brian would be raising that beautiful boy just as well as you are now but I feel so fortunate to have all of you in my life. And now, with boys we call our own, Ted and I know the feeling of children that are as lovely as yours.”

“And they are lucky boys to have your and Ted.  I guess I should join my boys.  I am guessing he is about done with the transfusion.”

“He is good to go when he is done.  I need to get to work.  We will talk soon. Oh, and I am not sure if Ted talked to Brian yet but when we go to the cabin over Thanksgiving we are hoping the boys…”

“Of course they can stay with us. We will talk soon, Victor.” The men kissed and went their separate ways.

By the time Justin walked into Aiden’s transfusion room, he was being disconnected. Brian moved quickly to Justin and pushed him back into the hall.  “Where have you been? Is everything ok? What did Victor need to tell you?”

“Brian, everything is fine.  It will take too long to explain right now but everything is good.”

“There you are, Daddies.  I thought you left without me.” He gave them a big smile.

Justin picked him up. “You are the most amazing child I have ever known.” He kissed Aiden and Brian wrapped around Justin guiding them down the hall.

“I think we should go home so you can take a little nap,” Brian said as he saw Aidn yawn, “and when you wake up, you can decide what we will do for the rest of the afternoon.”

Aiden reached for Brian and Justin passed him over. “Ok.” Aiden laid his head on Brian’s shoulder and before they made it to the car, Aiden was fast asleep.


Once they had Aiden down for a nap, Brian and Justin went into their room and stretched out on the bed. Brian pulled Justin tightly against his side. “Are you going to tell me what Victor said?”

“You are lucky you are as sexy as you are because otherwise I’d be fighting Ted for that man.” He ran his hand down Brian’s flat stomach but stopped at his waistband. “Aiden’s count was a little low but nothing unusual for him, however, since he had the transfusion Victor can honestly say that just recently Aiden required one.  He did it to help our case.”

“So Aiden didn’t need to go through that today?”

“Brian, he said any doctor looking at Aid’s numbers would have agreed with him. I know it wasn’t fun for Aiden but it was good for him and for our case.”  Justin’s hand slid up under Brian’s shirt. “I have a feeling he will be sleeping for a couple hours.  Can you think of something for us to do?” Justin moved so his mouth brushed Brian’s as he pinched one of his nipples.

“God, you are a hard man to say no to.” He rolled over pinning just down.”

Justin tugged at Brian’s shirt and soon they managed to get undressed.  They touched and tasted every inch of skin on the other’s body and then Justin placed a leg on Brian’s shoulder while he moved his other leg to the side. Brian entered him and together they climbed higher and higher until both of them climaxed. They lay on their backs staring at the ceiling for a few moments.

“I supposed we need to clean up and dress before Aiden wakes up.  I am guessing we have about 20 minutes,” Justin said.

“Then may I wash your back and you wash mine.” Brian stood and strode across the room. Justin watched his body move. “You coming?”

“Just go ahead and I’ll follow.  I love the view from here.” Justin stood and watched Brian’s ass as he walked into the open shower.


“Little Bro, you home?”  Gus called as he got home from school. 

“Gus, you’re home!” Aiden came racing out of the kitchen/family room right into Gus’ waiting arms. 

“How was your appointment with Uncle Victor?”

Aiden giggled, “I called him Uncle Dr. Victor accidentally. It was funny.”

“I see both arms have a bandaid.”

“Ya, I had to have a...trans thing.” Brian walked in behind Aiden as he said it and Gus had to laugh at his dad’s face.

“A trans thing? Do you mean a transfusion?” Gus glanced at Brian with concern on his face.

“Ya, and now I have lots of energy so Daddy and I are making a fun dessert so I have to go.  We can talk later.” Aiden turned and ran past Brian, back to the kitchen.

“Dad, you lost your poker face.  Trans?” Gus laughed and Brian joined him.

“You know I would be fine with that but I didn’t expect my six year old …” Brian stopped the sentence when he realized Gus had a worried look under the humor.  “Gus, he is fine.  His numbers were lower than yours and mine but they always are.  They were in the normal range for him.”

“Then why the transfusion?”

“Vic knows how much stress he will be under in the next couple weeks and when they question his health or if the other side says anything about Aid looking good, your mom can tell them about the transfusion.”

“Go, Uncle Victor!  I love him.” Gus said in his laid back way.

“At first I was a little upset that it was unneeded but it doesn’t really hurt Aiden, other than the needle and he really will be going through a lot. By the way, your mom is coming for breakfast tomorrow morning.  We are going to go over the plan for the case.  I can’t believe that it starts next week.”

“Dad, I have been working on assignments ahead of time. I am going to court.”

“Gus, you don’t have to do that.  Aiden isn’t going except when he is required to talk to the judge. Cass will take him home right after that.”

“I am going, Dad. It will only be one or two days and I want to be there for you and Dad.”

“And it is possible the judge will want to talk to you, too.  As long as school says it’s Ok, then it is Ok with us.  I will email them that you will be gone Wednesday and maybe Thursday.”

“Thanks, Dad.  So what is the special dessert?”

“I am not sure but I think it has to do with your birthday on Sunday and Aiden knew you would have cake then but Aiden is sure this will be the best birthday dessert you ever had.”

Softly Gus said, “I am a little worried but with his heart in it, it will be the best I have ever had.”

Brian tossed an arm around Gus’ shoulder and as they walked into the kitchen he said, “Any idea what you want for your birthday?”

“Dad, I know the two of you and there is no way you don’t have something already.  You would wait but Dad would never wait until the last minute.”

Brian tightened his arm around Gus’ neck and kissed the top of his head.

Justin smiled at the two as they walked in. “Gus, good timing.  I know we are having your party on Sunday but we thought tonight was a good time for the family party.  What do you want for dinner? I’ll cook. We can order in.  Your choice.”

“Can I cook? When Cass got groceries this week, I had her buy some stuff for a birthday dinner I figured we would have sometime.”

“What are you making?”   Aiden asked, “Can I help?”

“I am making a seafood lasagna and I could use a sous chef.”

“My name isn’t Sue.” Aiden said seriously.

“No, not that,” Gus lifted Aiden up on the counter. “A sous chef just means an assistant chef.”

“Oh, I like being an assistant.” 

Brian and Justin looked at their boys, “Since you got this, we have a couple things to talk about.  Just call if you need something,” Justin said as he and Brian walked to the formal living room.  “So, when is the Jeep arriving?”

“Tomorrow afternoon.  Do you think he will like it?” Brian asked.  “Maybe we should have gotten something sportier.  He isn’t going to think this is a family car.”

“Bri, we know he will help get Aiden around and we want something that is safe for both of them.  Yes, it is an SUV but it is a sports addition and it is bright red and with the top of the line interior.  That sound system will blow him away.”

“You’re right and he is a good kid.  He is appreciative of whatever he gets.  Now, if I am not mistaken lasagna takes a while so we…” Justin pushed him backward onto the sofa and stopped his words with a kiss.

Gus had Aiden help layer the noodles in between ladles of cream sauce, zucchini, and shrimp and small scallops.  “Gus, are you sure I will like this? I don’t know if I have ever had this stuff.” He held up a zucchini slice.

“You trust me, don’t you?”

“I do and the rest is all stuff I like.” He stuck his finger in the alfredo sauce and licked it off. “That stuff is yummy.” 


When they had finished the lasagna and put it in the oven, Aiden looked around. “You know our dads.  I bet they are kissing somewhere.”

“I think you are right.  Do you want to go play outside for a while? If you put on a sweatshirt it is warm enough.”

“Yeah! I’ll grab my sweatshirt.” Aiden rushed away and came right back with his sweatshirt on and together they walked out the back door. 

It wasn’t long before Cass appeared. “I could hear a lot of fun going on down here.  Can I join?”

“Sure, Cass.” Aiden said as Gus pushed him on the swing.  As his voice went from close to further away, Aiden told her, “Uncle Dr. Victor gave me some blood and I have lots of energy now.”

“That’s great, Aid!” She said but then whispered, “he needed a transfusion?”

“He could always use one but his medication keeps him in the safe level for him but Victor gave him a transfusion to give him a boost with the court case this coming week.”

Cassandra sighed, “That’s good news and makes sense.”

“I hear that you are coming to court so Aiden doesn’t have to sit through all of it.”

“Ya, I get to party with this big guy.” They had stopped the swing and Cass offered her hand to Aiden.  He took it and they walked over to the climbing area where Aiden quickly climbed up and started moving around. “Has your mom said anything else?”

“She is coming for breakfast tomorrow so they can talk it over some last minute details.  Hey, you probably have a date or something but I made seafood lasagna and Aiden made dessert.  They won’t tell me what that is, but I know there is plenty of whatever it is.”

“I actually had plans but they fell through when he came down with the flu today.  I’d love to join you but isn’t this just for family?”

Aiden popped out just above Gus and Cass.  “Cass, you are family. You will love the dessert.”

“Well, I guess I can’t turn that down.” 

“And I better go check on dinner.” The three walked into the house just as Brian and Justin, flushed from their make out session, walked into the kitchen area.

“Is dinner ready? I worked up an appetite.” Brian kissed Justin’s temple and smiled at his boys and Cass.”

“We invited Cass,” Aiden commented.

“I am sure there is plenty of food.” 

Soon the five of them were sitting at the table with a salad and the pan of lasagna.  “Gus, you were right. This is really good,” Aiden said as he took one of the zucchini pieces off the dish and popped it in his mouth.

Everyone agreed Gus’ meal was wonderful and then it was time for dessert and Aiden, with help from Justin, walked over with a glass bowl full of layers.

“Well, what is this?” Gus asked.

“It has all your favorites.  It has peanut butter cookies, pudding, whipped cream and chocolate all put together.  What did you call it, Daddy?”

“It is a trifle.” Justin responded.

“That’s it.” Aiden helped scoop out bowl’s full and everyone agreed it was very good.

“I can tell this is going to be a great birthday already. Is anything going on tomorrow besides breakfast with mom?” Gus asked.

“We may have a surprise or two planned.” Justin smiled over at Gus. “

“Ok, JR texted and was wondering if I can go out with him tomorrow night.”

“That’s fine,” Brian said, “Just so you are here for the party on Sunday.”

“That is not a problem.”

Cass helped clean up after the meal and left before the family locked up and headed up to their rooms.  Aiden was soon sound asleep and Brian and Justin were watching TV in their room.  

 

Gus laid in bed and slid his hand into his briefs.  He couldn’t get Cass out of his mind.  He knew why they couldn’t be together but he also knew she was one of the best people he had ever met. He stroked himself and remembered the feel of her around him.  After he filled his briefs with cum he got up and took a quick shower before slipping clean boxers on and getting into bed again. His goal for this 17th year was to find a girl to help him forget.  If he was going to learn to live his own life, he had to get over Cass.