- Text Size +

 

After the both of them had dressed, Justin followed Brian up the stairs to await the visitor that was soon to be arriving, each of them lost in their own thoughts regarding what had happened downstairs. What had begun as a beautiful and sensual discovery had quickly ended in uncertainty. Justin watched as Brian moved to light a fire in the fireplace, not realizing Lindsay had asked him to do so. He looked at Brian in wide-eyed confusion, before asking, "Do you have any idea what's going on, Brian?"

 

"Not a clue, Justin. But I have a feeling Lindsay has a great deal to tell us... and if anyone can get to the bottom of something supernatural it would be her," Brian told him. "You can trust her with anything, Justin."

 

"Okay. I just don't believe this. A vampire and a witch. I never thought my life would take me to these eventualities," he laughed nervously.

 

"There's more of us out there than you'd probably imagine. The key is separating the good from the bad," Brian spat out, his mind instantly going to Melanie.

 

"She's here," Justin commented, moments before they could hear the footsteps approaching and knocking on the door.

 

Brian shook his head, laughing shortly. "Damn, boy. That's starting to freak me out."

 

"You and me, both," Justin responded, with a nervous shudder.

 

Opening the door, Brian smiled tensely at an obviously wary Lindsay, which in itself was alarming. Lindsay never displayed fear. What the fuck was going on, Brian wondered.

 

"Come in, Linds. We have many questions... hopefully, to which you have some answers," Brian clipped out, more concerned about Justin than he cared to let on at this point. He didn't want to alarm Justin unduly, but this was more than freaking him out, as he had said mere moments ago.

 

"I do, Brian... for both of you," Lindsay said, as she peered around him to see Justin pacing nervously back and forth. Her heart burst with such love for him... and finally, she could express it.

 

They were both startled, when Justin's eyes turned toward the door in fear, as he fiercely demanded, "Shut the door quickly, Brian. There is evil approaching!"

 

Lindsay rushed toward Justin, her eyes widening, a smile spreading across her lips. "It's happening already... and with the ring still in existence. Oh, what power you are going to possess, my darling."

 

Justin's brow furrowed, as he looked around her to silently mouth toward Brian, 'my darling', glaring at his vampire lover as Brian erupted in laughter. After locking the door, Brian moved forwards, sliding up behind Justin, wrapping his arms around him to pull him back against him, whispering against his ear, "That's just how she talks. Gotta keep in mind she's just a silly wesbian at times..."

 

Lindsay arched a brow, laughing despite the seriousness of the moment. "Knock it off, Brian. We don't have time for fun and games. Hopefully, you got that out of your system for the time being."

 

"Not really. We had just been getting warmed up... but I guess I can share him with you for a bit," Brian teased, doing all he could do to lighten a tense situation, with Justin more than obviously alarmed by his premonitions.

 

"Can we sit, please?" Lindsay asked, wanting to get to the point sooner, rather than later.

 

Brian sat in the chair across from the sofa, for some reason having the feeling Lindsay didn't want to share space with Justin. Whatever was happening, it was of paramount importance... and she needed a one on one connection with Justin - of this he was certain.

 

"There's so much I want to tell you... but you are right - danger is very close. It needs to be dispatched tonight. I, aaahh, am just a little nervous and excited we have finally reached this moment after all these centuries of waiting," Lindsay stammered on, almost breathlessly.

 

"Uhhh, centuries? He's just a kid, Linds..." Brian said, looking at her in confusion, beginning to wonder if his dear friend had lost her mind; further surmising that dealing with Melanie all of these years would be a good cause for it.

 

She laughed, before saying, "Oh, but he's not... although, he and everyone in his life have been made to think so. A very intricate spell... the most difficult and important one I have ever cast."

 

"There's a spell on me? Umm, will you please just tell me what's going on, Lindsay? I can call you that, right?" Justin asked, hoping he wasn't being too forward with this stranger... and a witch at that.

 

"Of course, you can. We are family, after all," she giggled, waiting for them both to explode. She didn't have to wait long.

 

"Now, wait just a minute, Lindsay. That isn't even possible, is it? And if it is... why the fuck haven't you told me before now????" Brian demanded, standing up to tower over them.

 

Lindsay sighed, having known Brian's presence was going to make this much more of an ordeal than it needed to be. "Sit your ass down, Brian... before I make you. We don't have time to waste."

 

"Fine. Let's just get on with it," Brian clipped out.

 

"Okay, then. Justin, I could make this a long story... but we really don't have time for that now. We can discuss it in length later, once she is dealt with. For now, I need you to focus on me and what I'm saying... and to trust me."

 

Justin nodded, instantly agreeing. "Brian told me I should trust you. Despite the problems we've had, that's enough for me."

 

"You and Brian will have such a long and incredible future together. I'm so elated that you found each other... and that he finally embraced it and accepted his feelings for you," Lindsay said with a beaming smile, glaring at Brian when he responded with an indelicate snort. "He can deny it all he likes, but we all know the truth."

 

"You're right, Lindsay. The man's crazy about me. How can he not be? I'm just adorable," Justin smiled, his eyes only for Brian at that moment.

 

Brian pulled his lips under, his eyes warming... and unbeknownst to Justin, his heart as well. Beating or not, it responded for this boy... and only for him. Brian fully accepted this now as he always would. "Get on it with it, before I have to take your adorable self back downstairs and fuck you senseless."

 

Justin laughed, his eyes glowing brighter, before his smile abruptly faded as ear-piercing screeches began to fill his head. He reached up to clasp his hands over his ears, finding nothing would muffle the painful sound. It was a noise of deafening proportions... one that was making his head throb in such an instant pain that he could barely hold his head up.

 

Brian immediately sensed and felt Justin's pain, moved to intervene... but didn't know what was assailing him. "Justin, what's wrong... what can I do for you?"

 

Lindsay swore under her breath, reaching out to grasp Justin's hands tightly, trying to force a calm over Justin; knowing he could never block Melanie out with the pain she was inflicting on him. If it didn't stop soon, his head could explode from the pressure. That was Melanie's objective... and one she wouldn't allow to happen. "Look deeply into my eyes, Justin. I didn't want to tell you this way... but we are out of time. She is here to destroy you... and you must become empowered and destroy her - tonight."

 

"Hear my voice, Justin. Block out the sound waves she is sending to your brain. You can do it, Justin. You are more powerful than her... more than either of us. Embrace who you are... and fulfill your destiny," Lindsay rasped out, in determination and desperation; knowing it was now or never for Justin. For if Melanie wasn't blocked out now, he wouldn't be focused to receive his power... and Melanie would win. And the worst part of that - she would lose the brother she had adored for all these years - knowing what as well her dear friend would lose. Now, after all they had shared, she couldn't imagine how Brian would adapt to losing Justin. She vowed that it wouldn't happen.

 

Brian sat back with wide eyes, watching the calm settling over Justin, carefully listening to Lindsay's words, his observations quickly becoming apparent to him. "He isn't human, is he? Fuck, if I didn't know it all along. The first damn night I met him, I knew something was different about him... special. It was more than the legend of us being soulmates. You've lied to me all this time, Lindsay. Fuck, what a fool I've been."

 

She reluctantly pulled her gaze from Justin, to look at Brian letting him see the mixture of love and sorrow in her eyes. "I'm sorry, Brian. I had no choice. I had to protect him. I've been doing so for centuries. He's been wrapped in a protective bubble, keeping him safe until he's ready to embrace his destiny."

 

Justin blinked slowly, asking her, "Who am I?"

 

"You're my brother, Justin. You have been living in a state of limbo for centuries now. Think back to your oldest memory. I'd bet it doesn't date back further than when your grandmother died... and gave you the ring."

 

Brian burst out in laughter. "Brother? This is unbelievable. My soulmate is a fucking warlock? This is incredible!"

 

Justin looked at her dubiously, before saying, "Uhhh, Lindsay, I think you've got the wrong guy. I can't be your brother. I'm human. I have a family. This just isn't possible."

 

"None of that was real, Justin. It was just a life that you were inserted into to divert Melanie until the time was right for you. Now is that time. Search your heart, Justin. You will know it to be true," she implored him, hoping he quickly came to terms with this, knowing she could only block Melanie out for so long.

 

"Justin, I know this sounds far-fetched... but if Lindsay says it's true and that she actively did this to protect you - well, you can believe her. You are her brother. Damn, if this isn't amazing," Brian said, smiling in wonder at the incredible blond that he knew would now be a part of him forever. "Umm, Linds?"

 

"Yes, Brian?" she asked him.

 

"What about his aging process and my curse? Now that we've accepted and found each other - wasn't the curse supposed to be broken?" Brian asked, thinking what a cold irony if Justin remained young forever and he returned to his former state, aging and dying as he had been when Melanie cursed him.

 

"We discussed this briefly before, Brian. You can't revert back to a human state. Too much time has passed... and remember, I placed a spell on you as well in the event it became necessary. You will remain as you are for an eternity... and regarding Justin, once he receives his full power, his age locks in time. After tonight, he does not age," she smiled, hoping that would be good news for the both of them.

 

Justin shook his head in wonder as it all finally began to sink in. No matter how strange it sounded, he was beginning to accept it as true. He could feel it... and he could see it in the loving eyes of the witch who he was beginning to accept was his sister. "So what needs to happen now?"

 

"This is where your trust comes into play. I need you to remove the ring and toss it into the fire. You must do this. No one else can destroy it for you," Lindsay told him.

 

"Destroy the ring? But I thought I needed that for protection... my grandmother said..." Justin sputtered in confusion.

 

"I know this, Justin. I was there watching over you. Your grandmother obviously wasn't really of your blood... but she was a good woman who only wanted what was best for you. I appeared to her and explained the ring was for your protection. She believed me, although I wasn't entirely honest with her. The ring's purpose was to keep me close to you, where I could find you when you needed me. And it was used to trick Melanie into thinking she couldn't harm you."

 

"Melanie... yes, I see it now. She's your sister, which in turn makes her my sister... my evil sister," Justin gasped. "She means to destroy me, tonight. Doesn't she?"

 

With a sad nod, Lindsay agreed. "Yes, Justin... she does. Destroy the ring now... and then your world will be changed. You will be empowered and you will be able to defeat her, once and for all."

 

Justin shakily stood to his feet. He approached the fire, oblivious to all but the task at hand, unseeing of the dazed wonder upon Brian's face - the jubilation in him knowing that they now could be together forever. He twisted the ring around his finger, back and forth, looking at it for long moments before he finally began to slide it off his finger. He held it out to the flames, flinching when he heard a voice hissing into his ear, 'Don't do it. She lies. Doing this will destroy you.'

 

"It's Melanie. Don't listen to her, Justin. She's right outside... but she cannot enter Brian's home. I have made sure of that. Destroy the ring now, Justin. Trust me, but please do it now," Lindsay implored him, knowing it must be now.

 

Without any further thought, Justin tossed it into the fire, all eyes watching in amazement as the small ornate piece of metal swirled around in the flames until it was poised at the top of the fire. It began to twirl around in rapid succession until, at last, it disintegrated into nothing. Justin remained transfixed as he gazed into the now dying flames, oblivious to the answering flames heating in his hair, the rising of it around his face as the ring had swirled and dissolved away. He turned around, his eyes glowing, face flushed, the flames falling from his hair as he approached them - as if seeing the both of them for the first time.

 

Brian took a deep breath, as his eyes were swallowed under Justin's penetrating gaze. "Fuck, if you aren't the most beautiful man I've ever seen. Now so, more than ever."

 

"And you to me as well, Brian Kinney," Justin growled, feeling lust and love growing inside of him for this man - the man he knew he would be with forever.

 

Lindsay cleared her throat, stepping forward quickly, knowing she needed to do so before they started fucking each other in front of her. "Now, boys, plenty of time for that later. We have work to do here."

 

Justin's eyes flickered to Lindsay, smiling as he really looked at her for the first time. Breathing out softly, "Lindsay... my sister. I remember everything now. You've been with me, loved me, protected me. You brought me to this place where I finally found Brian. We owe everything to you."

 

"And I would do it over and over again, Justin. I'm so happy we're all truly together now. But one obstacle remains..." she reminded him.

 

"Melanie," he hissed out, fire rekindling in his eyes. "She cursed Brian and now seeks to destroy us both. She must be stopped."

 

"You are the only one that can stop her, Justin. As a warlock, regardless of age, you are the head of the family and have more power than the two of us combined. Only you can kill her. And this is the weapon you must use to stab directly into her heart. Using this, no curse issued by anyone will ever revive her. She will be gone forever," Lindsay said, as she extended her hand to produce an ancient box with the dagger nestled inside.

 

Justin opened it, looking inside, marveling at the cold metal, admiring the jewels encased on the handle. "I don't know if I can do it, Lindsay. To go out there and just kill her... no matter what she's done."

 

"That's your decision, Justin... but until you do, Brian will never be free. She will haunt him forever," Lindsay told him, hoping when the time came that Justin could perform the task; knowing that was the only way they would all be free and safe.

 

Brian moved forward to do what he could to influence Justin. "I don't want you to go anywhere near her, Justin. But if this is what it takes, you need to do it. She will never stop trying to destroy you, Justin... both of us."

 

"Let's go confront her. Maybe she will see reason and leave once she sees I am no longer defenseless..." Justin suggested, foolishly optimistic, even now.

 

Lindsay and Brian both rolled their eyes at each other. Lindsay nodded, before she told him, "You're in charge, Justin. I will follow your direction. And you have never been defenseless... just a bit restrained."

 

He laughed. "Point taken. Okay, let's go deal with the big bad witch..."

 

Justin led the way, instinctively taking his place... knowing this was how it should be, and fully accepting it. No fear displayed on his face as he opened the door, strong in his determination to face this demon.

 

Lindsay and Brian flanked him, quickly discovering they didn't have far to go. Melanie was poised for flight near the trees by Brian's front gates. Justin called out to her. "Stop. Don't even attempt to leave. Come here... now."

 

Brian whispered to Lindsay, "Kid's got some balls. My soulmate. Oh, yes... that's more than appropriate for my needs, and level of perfection."

 

"Shhh. Preen later. We need to deal with Melanie... and celebrate Justin's victory - that is if he can go through with killing her," she hissed under her breath.

 

"Don't worry. I have faith in my boy. As should you... and why are you whispering when you know he can hear you?" Brian laughed, rolling his eyes at her.

 

Justin turned to glare at them both, mentally asking his sister to behave... before admonishing Brian, "Now, Mr. Kinney... I know you aren't going to make this difficult."

 

"Of course not, Mr. Taylor. I wouldn't think of it," Brian replied in mock innocence.

 

All eyes fell upon the evil that was now mere feet away from them. Brian and Lindsay looked upon Melanie with contempt. Justin looked on in curiosity, turning quickly to coldness upon seeing the hate and death swimming in her eyes. He clutched the box tightly within his grasp hoping he wouldn't have to use it.

 

"My dear brother, empowered at last. How delightful," she sneered. "Of course, I no longer can harm you... but I can finish what I started so long ago."

 

"Really? And what might that be, sister?" Justin growled back savagely, knowing this was an unsubtle attack toward Brian... his soulmate and the man he loved.

 

Melanie's gaze flickered away from her brother to light upon Lindsay, then finally on Brian. She shook her head as if in sorrow. "I've given you so many chances, my darling. But you disappoint me at every turn. I'm afraid it must end... for I cannot allow you to enjoy an eternity of happiness with him. It would be simply unbearable."

 

"Back away from Brian now, Melanie... or you will face my wrath," Justin snarled, his fingers flexing upon the box he held.

 

"Oh don't worry, Justin. I don't have to touch him... my words will suffice," she hissed in evil menace. "Brian, my love, I rescind your curse. I return you to the state of your death. Aching, blinding pain," Melanie spoke in a soft, eerie voice; Justin's eyes pulled from Melanie to see Brian falling to the ground - his body writhing in agony and despair.

 

"J-Justin..." Brian barely managed to gasp.

 

Immediately collapsing to his knees, the box falling beside Brian's head, he placed his mouth next to Brian's ear, sobbing out, "Yes, my love?"

 

"I - love - you. It's only time. We'll find a way..." Brian whispered brokenly before his eyes rolled back into his head.

 

Lindsay averted her eyes, tears falling... but not telling Justin her secret. He needed to finish this first - so nothing like this ever happened again. "Justin... do what you have to do."

 

Melanie cackled in evil delight, foolishly perceiving Justin to be so broken that he wouldn't... couldn't act upon his powers to destroy her. One instant later, the dagger was embedded swiftly into her heart, as Justin's glowing eyes stared down at her with pain and hatred swelling within them. "Now you die, you vicious bitch. But you die with the knowledge that Brian never wanted you... he always loved me. I will find a way to bring him back."

 

Then, Justin further twisted the knife, withdrawing it just as quickly to stab it in again, looking at her shriveling body in hate. Removing the blade, he plunged it one more time watching in satisfaction as her body withered into nothing. The only remains being her clothing. He kicked them aside, throwing the knife down as he screamed out a howl of total grief and despair, falling to his knees and cradling Brian's unresponsive body against his chest. He looked up at Lindsay with tears streaming down his cheeks. "Some destiny you've introduced me to. I've lost the only thing that mattered..."

 

Lindsay shook her head, back and forth. "You need to trust me, Justin... just as Brian told you. You've lost nothing. Take him downstairs and place him in his bed. I placed a spell on him long ago in the event Melanie ever removed the curse. He will still awaken as a vampire. I caution you though, this is a drain on him. He will be very hungry. He must have adequate sustenance."

 

Justin nodded, believing her... yet knowing his relief would not be present until those beautiful eyes opened to him once more. "I love him, Lindsay. More than anything. I wouldn't want to exist without him."

 

"Don't you worry, my darling, you won't. The two of you will be together, forever. It is your fate."

 

TBC