- Text Size +

CHAPTER 11 - A FAMILY IS ANNOUNCED


TABLE FOUR - FIVE MINUTES LATER


DAVID


Michael is either watching for Brian and Ben’s return or glowering at the guy sitting next to Debs.


“Is she alright?” I ask him, he looks puzzled. “Debs looks like she’s been crying.”


“Hmm! She’s just emotional now Brian’s back.”


“I see, so who’s the guy that’s upset you?” 


“Him? Nobody!” He retorts.


“Come now, Michael.” Daph pours me some wine. “Dad, that’s Evan - he’s the last guy that Brian drilled, which Michael’s got his dick twisted over. Although, if I can get used to a strap on, I’m gonna get that ass too.”


“David, are you okay?!” Emmett claps me on the back whilst Michael cleans up the wine I spluttered across the table. “Take my water!”


“I’m fine, fine!” I croak, glaring at a giggling Daph. “I must have misheard you, could you repeat that, darling?”


“No repeating necessary, you didn’t mishear!” Michael hisses. 


“Everything okay, David?” Debs calls down. 


“Yes, all fine, thanks. Daphne, go and get another bottle of wine, you little devil!”


“Yes, Daddy!” She simpers. 


“You’re that beauty’s father? I’m Evan.” He approaches, hand outstretched. “How do you know Debs?”


“He’s my boyfriend, that's how he knows her!” Michael seethes. 


Evan looks from me to Michael and back again. “David, I’m the blur in front of you.”


“Blur?” I frown.


“Clearly you have cataracts.” His chuckling spreads up the table. “Call me when you’re got them fixed.” He pats my shoulder then returns to his seat.


“That was not funny!” Michael snarls.


“What wasn’t?” Brian questions as he and Ben return hand in hand. “What did we miss?”


“Nothing!” “Evan thinks David’s blind for being Michael’s boyfriend!” Michael and Mel answer at the same time.


“Actually, going by his behaviour earlier, it's Michael that’s blind where boyfriends are concerned.” Ben drawls. The table goes silent as he strolls to the seat next to Evan. “Have we ordered food?”


BRIAN


“No, not yet.” George replies, hiding his grin. “We’re just waiting for Daphne to come back.” 


I sit between Debs and Mom, who titters whilst David closes Michael’s mouth. Although, judging by the lethal look he gives Mel, this won’t stay like that for long.


“Where’d Daphne go?” I query.


“To get some wine.” She replies, returning with three bottles. “I’ve also got waiters on their way.” 


“Smart and beautiful.” Evan is all charm, which is pissing Michael no end. Must find out what the beef between them is about and exploit it!  “Need some help?” 


“She’s used to carrying a lot of booze. No need to trouble yourself, Evan!” 


“What a horrible thing to say!” Mel declares. “Why are you being such a viper?”


“It was a joke!” He protests. “Besides, I meant she’s a connoisseur, not an alcoholic.” Ben’s look calms me down. “Daph knows my sense of humour.”


“He’s right, I do, and he knows mine. Now, no more jokes, let’s enjoy dinner.”


MICHAEL


I can’t believe how fucking crap this evening has turned out. The arrival of the waiters at least takes the attention off me, although I’m being ignored on both sides by David talking to Emmett and Daphne, whilst Justin talks to his Mom. 


Brian’s overbearing boyfriend is flirting with Evan - only stopping when Brian catches his eye. What a creep!


“What would you like to start with?” The waiter asks.


Sighing, I take up the menu. “Can you give him a few minutes, please?” David asks, much to my surprise. Smiling, the waiter moves onto Emmett. “Would you like more red, or will you swap to white?”


“I haven't decided on what to eat yet.” I retort.


“What’s wrong?” He frowns.


“Just not enjoying the evening as much as I’d hoped.” 


“Why did you invite everyone else - I mean apart from me? You gave the impression it was just the three of you. And who’s that next to Mel?”


“I didn’t invite everyone else, they just turned up!” I gripe quietly. “And that's Ted, yes, that Ted!”


“How is he here? I assume Emmett is still unhappy with him, since he’s sitting where he is?”


“He’s here because of Uncle Vic too and they did everything but suck face when Ted arrived!” I shrug at his disapproving look. “And that lady sitting next to Brian is his Mom, again Uncle Vic played whatever his name was from Bergerac to get them together!” He stops laughing at my scowl. “I should be sitting there, not her!”


“Why? You’ve often said that mothers come above everyone else.” 


“And speaking of mothers!” Justin turns to us. “Let me introduce you to mine. David and Michael, this is my Mom, Jennifer. Mom, David’s my boss.”


“So lovely to meet you, David, thank you for the faith you have in my son!” 


“My pleasure, he’s an excellent nurse.” David smiles, I sneer into my glass. “How are you here? He never mentioned you coming when I saw him last Friday.”


“Case of small world syndrome.” She laughs. “I work for Brian, you could call me his work Mom.” It’s my turn to splutter, David’s clapping hurts as much as Mel and Ted’s sniggering at me. “Oh dear, are you okay, Matthew?” 


“Michael.” I gasp. “My name is Michael.” Mel fails to hide her amusement with her napkin, whilst Ted returns my glare. He seems to forget that he’s got to explain his shittiness to Brian. I look forward to watching him do that!


“Well, I’ve been with him since he started his business, and of course, the love fest that is him and Ben. The amount of times I've had to tell them to lock the door! But love makes you, um, spontaneous is the polite way to put it, right, Ben?”


“Definitely.” He smarms before trying to get into Evan’s pants.


“It would definitely take a man like Ben to pin Kinney down!” Mel laughs, raising her glass to him.


“Enough about that!” Crone for once proving useful. “Have we all ordered now?“ 


“Just Michael to go, I mean left to choose.” Ted declares with an edge to his voice. “Ems, you want to help him out with the big words? The menu’s changed a lot since I was last here.”


“Teddy!” Emmett giggles. 


“Sir, your choices?” The waiter prompts. Annoyed at their return to easy camaraderie, I shake my head. “You don't want to order anything or just not a starter?”


“How about we share the eggplant fries, Michael?” David asks, I shrug. “There, that’s settled.” 


“Thank you, sir.” The waiter smiles, before giving me a shitty look and scuttling off.


“Stop being so bloody childish to Michael!” Uncle Vic barks. “You’re beginning to ruin this evening!”


“I’m ruining this evening?!” I finally explode. “This was supposed to be my time with my best friend, and you lot have fucking railroaded me out of that!” They go quiet. “And speaking of children!”


“Don’t you dare!” Uncle Vic snarls, getting up. “You’ll be spitting teeth for a week if that comes out of your mouth!” 


“And I will beat your ass!” Ma also stands. “This will not be unnecessarily and spitefully handled by you!”


“Spitefully? How can you say that, Ma? I'm his best friend!”


BEN


“Actually, I’m his best friend.” I smirk, both at Michael’s expression and Evan’s quietly muttered burn Mikey burn. “Well that's how I started out, now look where we are.” I turn to his Ma, who I'm beginning to warm to. “Want me to beat him instead? Be a shame to ruin that fabulous manicure.”


“Thank you, Ben, what a gentleman!” She kisses my cheek. “Michael, you could learn something from him.”


“He can't teach me anything!” He snaps, reaching for his jacket. “I need the bathroom!”


Oh, your lessons have only just begun, Mikey Boy!


TWENTY MINUTES LATER


MICHAEL


Having spoken to Kip, I feel a bit better. He completely understood my point of view, and, like me, felt that David should’ve defended me against Ma and Uncle Vic. 


However, what really burns my ass is that Brian hasn't come in to check on me! I thought it might be him when someone called my name, but that turned out to be George, who gave me the snarkiest look before stalking out. 


“I’ll give him two more minutes!” I decide, and set the timer. However, my stomach has other ideas, so I go back to join the party crashers!


I stare around the table as there's been a few changes. Mel is now sitting with Ma and Brian, with Ben next to Joan. Evan and Daphne have cosied up - how revolting! Emmett and Ted are with Justin and his Mom, looking like one of those cliques in high school.nBut it's David that really chaps my ass. He’s moved next to Uncle Vic and George, and is patting the seat next to him. Sighing, I head over.


“What’s with the musical chairs?“ I demand. “Did you eat all the eggplant or order me a main, knowing what I like?” 


“Yes and yes.” He replies, filling a glass with champagne, which makes me frown. “Deep fried lobster and the champagne is because we're celebrating, those are tears of happiness.” He nods at Ma, who is being hugged by Mel whilst looking at something.


“To quote The Stud, what have I missed?” I say loudly, Brian continues to check his phone.


“That he's a Dad.” Uncle Vic beams.


“I know that! How’d he take Mel being the mother?” 


“He's delighted. They're arranging a playdate.” David grins. “If you stop sulking, you might be invited to tag along.” I almost snap my glass at his dismissiveness. “Debs is so looking forward to it. She and Joan are already planning a shopping trip. Hmm, George, would you mind having the meal at yours to take the nervy pressure off of Debs and Joan? That way everyone here can come too.”


“David, that's an excellent idea!” George beams, which sets Ma off again. 


“So, Joan, how do you feel about having a grandson?” I ask. 


She sips her drink. “I feel great. A bit nervy like he said, but it's nice that we are going through it together, right, Debs?”


“Yes, Joan, it is! I can but can't believe you Kiddo!” She clutches her tissue. “So proud, so very proud.”


“Why are you proud of him for acknowledging his son? Did you think he wouldn't, what with Mel as that kid’s Mother?” 


Brian finally looks my way. “She’s not talking about that kid, she’s talking about Hunter.”


“Who’s that, and why does he make her proud of you?”


“He’s our son.” Ben states. “And if you buck your ideas up, you could be his Uncle.”


BRIAN

 

I sip my champagne. “So, Mikey, I’m curious. Given your nasty comments, boorish behaviour and the die-now-bitch look at Mel earlier: how unnecessarily and spitefully would you have told me about that?”

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing.