- Text Size +

CHAPTER 17 - DINNER…PART 1 


MICHAEL


Naturally I’m joining them for dinner. I’ve been trying to find out about Ben, but he’s being very tight lipped. “You’ve got to give me more than, ‘we met at a photoshoot, went for a drink and called each other back’.”


“What else is there to tell?” He shrugs. 


“Lots. I’ve got tons to tell you about David. Why so coy, something wrong with him? And why are we almost running to the car?”


“There’s nothing wrong with him. As for running, I want to get back to him. It’s been a while, you know what I mean? However, you need to stop in here first; as long as you’re quick it should be okay.” 


“Quick for what?” I frown, following him into the grocery store.


“The wine and beer.” He calls back, striding through the crowds. “Come on!”


TEN MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


Mercifully, him hefting his bag and the libations, God I missed Honeycutt, coupled with trying to keep pace, means silence. 


“Thank fuck!” He gasps when the lights flash on the Chevrolet Tahoe. “This is so you, give me the keys! You can direct me for now, I will take the address when I get there, just in case I want to take a cab over on my off days. I’ve got loads of holidays stored up now!” 


“No, you’ve been drinking.” I put my case in the back, he frowns when his side doesn’t open. “You’re not putting them on his seats either; keep them on your lap or between your knees.”


“His seats…oh no!” He gasps, then glass shatters. “Aww shit!” I scowl at the red wine splashed on the door and spreading around his feet, whilst he checks his jeans. “Oh great, didn’t get any on me!” 


“Why are you standing in it?!” I snap. “Go hose your shoes!”


“You're not serious? It's a few drops of wine!”


“Hose!” I point the way.


“Fine!” He snaps. He’s not long, frowning at the cloth in my hand. “What’s this for?” I nod at the door. “Oh for…what happened to my rucksack?!” I stare at the mess it’s now in. “Why didn’t you pick it up?!”


“It’s a few drops of wine.” I parrot, struggling to remain straight faced. “That will stain.” 


MICHAEL


I don't take two steps before he’s on the phone to his ‘babe’ apologising for running late, so I’m going to make us even later! After ten minutes, I look over my shoulder and he’s pulling away! 


“STOP, YOU ASSHOLE!” I holler. Luckily, the barrier is down. “What the fuck?!” I demand. Getting alongside, I go pale when it’s not him. “I am so sorry!” I babble at the guy, who tells me where to stick my apology. I storm over, flame faced, to a laughing Brian. “That’s not frigging funny! Did you see the size of him?!” 


“No, I was speaking to Ben. Can we go now?” 


“Yes.” I mutter, going to the passenger side. “Helps if the door is unlocked.”


“You need to replace the wine.” He’s still on the hood. “Get two, in case you get the dropsies again.”


By the time I get in, he’s on the phone; he doesn’t hang up until we pull up outside a large house…twenty minutes later. I’m also pissed that I couldn't see out of the blacked out windows! 


“Home sweet home!” He sighs. Just as he pulls to a stop, the front door opens. The smile on his face when Ben strides towards us is like a knife to my soul, that used to be for me - but it will be again.

 

“Hey, beautiful.” Ben simpers, opening his door. “You look bushed, will set you a bath after I unkink that knot. Hello, Michael.”


“Hi, Ben.” I pull out my phone. 


“Can you make your call in the house? We need to be alone.” Ben gets in the back. 


BEN


His face turns in on itself as Brian loosens his tie and joins me. “As I said before, it’s been a while, so…”


I hold him back when he almost confronts him for slamming the door so hard that the window rattles. “Short term pain, long time gain.” 


He nods then scowls when Michael sits on the gable wall. “Why the hell doesn’t he just go the fuck in?” 


“Maybe he wants you to carry him over the threshold?”


“That fucktard! Get Jen on moving us as soon as possible!”  


“Why? What did he say?”


“He’s booking a cab!” 


“And…”


“For tomorrow evening from his place to here! He must have been setting his frigging location!”


“Jesus Christ!” Although he was livid at the time, him losing our bet and having to learn to lip read has proved invaluable! “We’re going to be at Joan’s tomorrow anyway; does he know about that?”


His shit-stirring smirk wreaths his face. “He will. C’mon, I need cake!”


“We have company.” I grin as I open the door. “Take your time, beautiful, I’ll entertain him.” I enjoy his glaring at the flowers. “Since you’ve finished your call, let’s go inside.”


MICHAEL


“I’ll wait for Brian.” I paste on a smile.


“He’ll be a while, he’s cleaning up.” Ben nods at the door. Fuming, I step in. “You can hang your coat in the cloakroom there, the kitchen is down the hall to the left. If you need the bathroom, it’s next to the cloakroom.” He remains by the front door, then takes his time answering his phone. “This is Ben Bruckner, oh hey, how are you doing? Give me a second.” 


“He’s cleaning up!” I mimic, once the door is closed. “Bet you're sloppy and have to be told to cover your teeth!” After putting away my jacket and washing my hands, the massive kitchen has me gawking. “I can’t wait to cook here!” I check the cupboards whilst drinking the beer I took from his office. I decide against putting the bottle in the trash since Ben seems the kind of nitpicking asshole that would recycle! 


“Now for the wine.” I check it out, whistling at the percentage then swiftly having two glasses. If I drink enough, then that cab will be taking me home tomorrow evening instead! 


Another ten minutes pass and still no sign of Brian. Just as I am about to pour more, Ben enters. “Aren’t you joining us?” 


“I got the impression we were eating in here.” I state. 


“You were wrong, again. Lounge is opposite. Beautiful, I found him, he was in the kitchen!”


“Oh, okay, be down in a second!” 


“Can you give us a minute, Ben? I really need to speak to him about something private.”


“Sure, see you in there.”


I feel elated and deflated. I had hoped that he would say no, so that I could point out his insecurities and jealousy. I sigh at the sight of Brian’s bare feet and him tucking his shirt in. “Why were you in there?” He frowns. “That where you left the wine?” 


“Yes. I wanted to talk to you about that. You were right, as usual, about the beer. It was strong, and now with the wine, I really need to eat something.” 


“I see. Let’s go.” He wheels the hostess trolley towards the lounge, I pause to look up the stairs. “Now what?”


“Was wondering which room.” I reply as I enter.


“Which room what?” Ben gets in my face, but of course Brian has his back to that.


“Okay if I sit?” I ask. When he steps aside, I gape at the TV, it takes up an entire wall. “Wow, Captain Astro will look awesome on that!” 


“No it wouldn't.” Ben scoffs, I glare at him. “We do not watch comic book crap as a family; it’s bad enough that I have to go through Marlon Brandon and James Dean with them mouthing along!”


“Fuck off!” Brian declares, and I couldn't agree more. “There’s nothing wrong with a classic…”


“Thanks, bestie! Ben, Captain Astro is a classic, not comic book crap. The whole animation genre is…”


“I meant the movies. I haven’t suffered a cartoon since I left the Pitts. I don’t think Hunter’s ever watched one, it’s…”


“Something I can introduce him to - gives us a bonding opportunity. What a great idea, Brian!” I grin. “Where’s the remote? Need to check what subs you have. You’ll have to add mine.” 


“Dad, what do you think of this?!” Hunter appears from nowhere, with a forkful of something, the way Brian eats it makes my cock twitch. 


“Really good! What fish is that and is there a dip? Have you tried it, Babe?”


”Yep; it's salt cod and there’s an aioli.” Ben replies, smirking - why? “I’ll tell Evan that you will make it, oh Aioli Master!” 


“You’d better!” Brian orders, scowling as Ben and Hunter leave laughing.


BRIAN


Ah, so he’s the company. Slowly, Michael turns to me. “Evan, as in Evan Steele, is here?”


“Guess so.” I sip the wine. “This is really good. Must get Babe to order a case of it tomorrow.” 


“What is he doing here?” 


“No idea. So what room were you talking about and why?”


“You didn’t invite him?” His arms cross and those nasty cogs start to turn. “Bit boundary crossing for your babe to invite your ex-whatever to dinner?”


“Who said Ben invited him?” 


He raises an eyebrow. “Who else would? They were rather cosy at the drinks.”


“I did.” He whips around to face Debs, who mirrors his folded arms. “What’s this cosy bullshit?”


“Ma!” He gapes. “Why…”


“Because I was invited by Jen. He was with me at the time, overheard and tagged along. And before you try to get into why he was with me, it’s because he was!” 


“Have this fight at your place!” I declare, because if this continues I will join in and now’s not the time. “This is my home, now let’s go help my sons with dinner.”


“Sorry, kiddo.” Debs kisses my cheek. “But you know how he used to get.” 


“I was defending Brian, and I always will!” 


“Defending me from…oh fuck!” I gripe as the sudden back spasm almost doubles me over.


“Kiddo!” Debs grabs my arm. 


“Ma, let go! You’re making it worse!” Michael’s attempts to push her away, sends me to my knees.


“Ben!” I holler, he’s in immediately. “Back’s gone.” I gasp.


“Michael, move!” He orders, which he doesn't. “Michael, shift or fly!”


“For Chrissake!” Debs yanks him away. “Stay or you’re out the window!”


MICHAEL


Ma’s shouting brings in everyone! What the hell is Emmett doing here?! It’s bad enough with his fuck-body, he’s no buddy to him, he was just a fleshlight! 


“Michael, get outta the way, we need that chair!” Ma orders.


“I can help!”


“No!” Emmett snaps. Slowly, he and Ben get Brian off his knees. “Get the heat pad!”


“Where’s that?!” I demand.


“I’ll get it!” Ma spits as she rushes out; she's back in seconds cracking the pad. “Remind me to get a couple for my place!” 


“Hi all, sorry I’m…what the fuck happened?!” Jennifer cries from the doorway. “It’s the driving isn’t it?”


“Yeah, think so.” He grits out.


“I knew that would happen; one minute!” She dashes back out.


“Don’t fucking touch me!” He yells as I try to lift his legs. 


“What the hell were you thinking?!” Ben snarls. “Brian, you need to lean forward a bit; Debs, you slide it down. Ems can tell you where.”


“Brian, hold my hand tight, okay?” Emmett pats his hand like a dog. “Lean and grip on three. Ready? One two, three…oooh mamama!” Their hands go white, it takes ages for her to put it in place. “Now back. Is that right?”


“Perfect.” He mutters. Slowly, his eyes open. “Thanks, guys. Where’s Gus?”


“He’s getting the board.” Hunter replies. “Do you need your pills?”


“No, I'll be fine.”


“What’s taking him so long?” I demand, striding to the foot of the stairs. “Gus, hurry up!” He starts to come down with it, I meet him halfway. “Give me that!” I rush back in, ignoring his yelling. “Justin? Where did you come from, and what are you doing?!” I exclaim.


“Manipulating the muscle.” He murmurs. “How’s that feeling?”


“Oh, you’ve got to teach him how to do that.” Brian moans. “Honeycutt, you idiot!” He has tears brimming, for god sake what a fucking fakey flake. “Can you move your fingers, is that the one you wank with?”


“Yes, and no, thank goodness, would be out of commission for a while.” He giggles, wiggling his fingers. “Michael, why do you have a body board?”


“For his body, obviously. Now, everyone step aside so I can place it.”


“Place it where?” Ma smirks. “That’s for surfing, not back bracing.” 


“Why did you give me this?!” I glower at Gus.


“I didn’t. You snatched it off me in a lame ass attempt to play Doogie Howser!”


“Gus! That was fucking rude!” I snarl, he’s red faced and glaring. “Apologise now.”


“Gus...” Bian growls, I smirk at him.


“But Pop, I tried to tell him.”


“I know. Michael, apologise.”


“What? Why?!”


“You shouted, snatched and swore. Not at my sons. Now spit it out!”


JUSTIN


The pulse in his neck is hammering. “He’s working himself up to an aneurysm, get it done!” I put on the pressure sleeve. I catch the lift of Debs’s hand, sadly he grinds it out before it can connect. “Gus, now you.” 


“I apologise for the phrasing, not the sentiment.”


“Good enough.” I declare. “Now, can we have the room? I need to get this pressure down.”


“But I need to stay to see how things are done for Brian should it happen when I’m here!”


“Move or fly!” Ben squares up, and with Debs hand raising, he has no choice but to leave.


“Don’t be long, Justin! Before I go tomorrow, you need to tell me where to get one of those sleevey things!” 


I’m relieved as his pressure quickly drops. After I take it off, I hand him a glass of water. “Why is he leaving tomorrow?”


“Mr Velcro’s been winding me up since he got to the office!” Slowly he stands and tests his back. “Magic hands.” He wiggles his tongue. “Thanks for Gus.”


“He’s my dude too. So tomorrow?” By the time he’s finished, I’m boiling with rage, I reach for my phone. “Room for two more?”


“For dinner? Sure, who?”


“Daph, who'll bring David!” 




Salt Cod Fritters and aioli

 

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thanks