- Text Size +

CHAPTER 18 - DINNER…PART 2


DINING ROOM - FIVE MINUTES LATER


MICHAEL


Justin has joined us. I watch for Brian, he doesn’t follow.


“Where are you going?” Jennifer’s blocking the doorway.


“To find Brian.” I reply smoothly. “See if he’s okay. He might have fallen. Excuse me.”


“Ben’s job. If there’s anything amiss, he’ll call Justin.” She holds her position. “Now what can I get you to drink?”


“He’ll have a white wine, please, Jen.” Ma declares, patting the seat next to her. I am tempted to ignore her then see where she's sitting; this can only mean one thing! I sit down, managing to hide my delight that Hunter and Gus are opposite me - he’s for sure going to sit this end, it will be like old times, us Kings at the head of the table! “Have you returned Kip’s calls? Said he’s been trying you all afternoon.” She checks the wine out. “And then there’s Ted, you need to speak to him. Have we had this before?”


“No I don’t…”


“Yes, we have - it was when…you were away with David. So Kip and Ted…”


“Kip I will call later…actually, he’s sent some texts.” I go cold as I read.


“Michael, are you okay?” Ma asks, shaking my shoulder. 


“He’s selling his side of the business; thinks it’s time he moved on. What am I…” As I hear Brian, a thunderbolt idea hits me. I need to play this perfectly. “...going to do?” I take a gulp of the wine and start to plan, Ma’s cat scratching my arm hurts. “Ouch for f-f flip sake, I’ve just had a shock, give me a second!” Pasting on a smile, I turn to her. “Thank you, Jennifer.” 


“You’re welcome, Michael.” She returns.


“Brian, are you okay?” Justin heads back to the lounge, Ma’s sudden grip on my thigh keeps me seated. When he comes back, he’s smiling. “He’s fine, his rate spiked a little, Ben's calming him down the only way he knows how.”


I push that image out of my mind. “How do you know that about his rate? And that sleeve thing from earlier, where do I get it from?” I get funny looks. “What? I said that I wanted one, so where do I get it?”


“You have neither the brains to play doctor nor the figure to be a nurse!” Emmett scoffs as he comes in with a platter. 


I look at what he’s put down and smirk. “Been a while since you entertained anyone eh? Well little tip, you serve dessert last.”


“Just because it looks like a muffin, it doesn’t make it such.” Uncle Vic drawls as he comes in with salad. “So what did Kip have to say?”


“Why are you here?” I frown, it deepens as George enters. “George, how nice to see you too. How do you know about Kip, Uncle Vic?”


“I was there when he called, again several times.” He replies as he moves dishes around. “What did he have to say that made you hysterical?” 


“I wasn’t hysterical.” I rebuke him. “I just wasn’t expecting the news.”


“What news?” Brian asks as he finally joins us, it takes everything not to snark about the marks on his neck. “Ben’s gone to pick up a couple of things, he won’t be long.”


Now it is my heart that is spiking as he saunters towards the head of the table. George and Uncle Vic fussing with the dishes delay him. “Guys, Brian’s been in a lot of pain, let him sit down.” 


“I’m fine, it’s good for me to stand for a bit. So the news?”


“Yeah, well it’s good and bad, a vicar’s egg?” 


“Vicar’s egg?” Uncle Vic frowns.


“He mean’s curate, good in parts, why?” Brian drawls. “Oh, actually, Uncle Vic, are you and George officially official?”


“Yes they are!” Ma laughs. “Think that dinner did it.”


“How many times did you ask Grandma Debs?” Hunter sniggers. Everyone is smiling, once again I feel out of the loop and joke.


“Forty seven, no eight, forty eight.” Ma grins, she’s joined by everyone else, she notices my glare. “You were doing whatever. I’ve got a lot of catching and making up to do.”


“Actually, where were you that day?” Brian’s still picking at the salad. “God this is good, what’s in it, Nellybutt?” They stare at each other for a few seconds. “How long has it been since I called you that?” 


“Eight years.” Ma chimes in. We all look at her. “He said it the morning of the dinner, in the diner. He’d just bought him the bacon sandwich, gave him Advil in sparkling water followed up with…”


“...fresh orange juice. Stood over me whilst I finished everything, then marched me to a cab to get that Nellybutt back to bed.” Emmett kisses Brian’s cheek. “Works every time.”


“We had a post hangover routine, didn't we, Brian?” I declare. He looks confused. “You remember, I’d tuck you up in bed…” He starts to smile. “...and then you cuddle me and tell tales about how you wanted to be a soccer player, or play NFL, your dream changed depending on the night.”


“Yeah he mentioned it.” I fume at Ben’s nonplussed expression; I’d seen him coming in and hoped to score a point. “Said it was to stop you talking about Captain Asshole; but sometimes he’d let you speak, your monotonous tone, which never deviated from the script, was a bit soothing. Unlike the cat screech that heralded your solo walk down memory lane.”


“Benjamin!” Jennifer exclaims. “He told us that in confidence.”


“Oops, my bad.” He smirks. “Got them, we can eat now.” 


“Oh great, won’t be a second!” Justin hurries out. Happily, Ben takes his seat, oh yes, this means Brian is near me for sure!


Despite him embarrassing me, I smile at Ben, he instead smiles at Evan. “Great, I’m starved…so the curate’s egg is that Kip is selling his side of the business.” 


“Oh, would you go back, Debs?” Jennifer asks.


“No lesson learned; sticking with what I love and that’s serving the kinks and queens of Liberty Avenue.”


“You mean kings.” I snark, wounded by the lesson learned snipe.


“No, she said it right the first time.” Emmett laughs, they all do, again I feel left out. “And they‘re so happy you’re back!” He continues his crawl down her throat, at least he’s not crawling up her ass like he did with Brian. I felt so sorry for him with all that drippiness. “So what are you going to do, Michael, would you split it with Ted?”


“No, I’d feel better if there was someone else in the business. Someone I can trust and who also trusts Ted…” I glance at Brian who’s checking his phone. “…so what do you say?”


“I’ve said no before and I’m saying it again!” Uncle Vic’s snipe gets Brian’s attention. “I’m happy where my mortgage and 401K are - thank you.”


“I didn’t mean you, Uncle Vic. I would ask David, but he’s not interested in that kind of thing. Now they’re trusting him again, I was asking…”


“As I’ve said before, Michael, I’m not disinterested.” I almost choke on my wine. “I’ve not researched it enough to form an opinion. Hi everyone. How was your time together, Michael?”


“Very good. What are you doing here?” I grip my glass to hide my trembling, with frustration, hands. 


“Justin called us.” He replies, taking off his jacket. “Where shall I sit?” My heart sinks as Brian points to ‘his’ seat. “Are you sure?”


“Of course, you’re my guest. I can sit next to Evan.” 


“Actually, I’m sitting next to him.” I want to scream as Daphne does exactly that. She makes a show of taking off her jacket to reveal that vintage tee - I am determined to get one no matter how long it takes!


“Daph, how lovely to see you!” Ma blows her a kiss, Evan kisses her cheek whilst cutting his eye at me. I almost bite through my tongue keeping it still.


“So why did Justin call you two?” Jennifer asks, my thoughts exactly!


“He wanted Dad’s opinion on Brian’s back.” Daphne loads up her plate. “And I was looking for Michael.” 


“Why?” I frown.


“Ever since Debs gave me this wonderful tee, I’ve been looking at the comic and collectibles market. This could be a win-win.”


“What could be?” I paste on yet another smile to hide my irritation when David squeezes my hand.


“You…” Her phone beeps, she frowns briefly before putting it away. “...you’ve always wanted a Cameron in the business, and I’d get to learn from the master.”


“A Master? Him? Add ‘baiter’ to that and you’ve got it right!” Evan scoffs, people start to snigger.


“I don’t get what’s funny?” Hunter frowns.


“Tell you later.” Gus chuckles.


“No you won’t.” Brian declares, my humiliation eases. “It will sound better coming from Nellybutt.”


“Ooh birding and bee-ing talk, excellent!” Emmett grins. “Benjamin, will you join me?”


“Indeed I shall.”


“Guys, behave.” David orders, his smile dropping at my glare. “So what do you say, Michael? I think that Daphne has presented you with the perfect solution.”


“Yes, maybe. Let’s talk about this tomorrow…”


“Great, I’ll be there at six.” Daphne states. “Justin, come on, we're eating now!” 


He arrives quickly. “Thanks Daph, and you too David, for bringing everything. So, Brian, stick to the salad. You can eat the cheesecake after I give you a long and deep shiatsu massage.”


DAPHNE


Michael’s face is a multitude of emotions; as Brian sits between Uncle Vic and Justin, he looks like he wants to scream and shout. 


“Be where at six, Daphne?” He’s almost making a pretzel with his fork.


“The store, so you can show me what’s what.” I reply sweetly.


“I need to speak to Kip first.” He growls.


“But I’m the other partner in the store now.” He looks like he wants to vomit. “So you, me, oh and Ted, will meet tomorrow at six, yes?”


All he does is nod.

 

Prosciutto Olive and Machengo Muffins

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing.