- Text Size +

 

CHAPTER 7 - CALLS - THE LIES, THE SHOTS AND THE NEVER

 

BRIAN'S HOME - AN HOUR LATER

 

KITCHEN

 

JOAN

 

"Benjamin!" I grumble, he's unmoving, arms folded and standing in front of the kettle. "I can make my own tea!" He mouths no. "Can I at least start the bread?"

 

"No." I smile in defeat at the arrival of another member of the Gang of Five. "Sit down, Nana Joan." Hunter orders. "And no peeking!"

 

"Why can't I peek?" I get comfortable.

 

"Because I want you to see what we saw." I close my eyes and wait. "Okay, now open!"

 

I stop myself from screaming. "You're the lickety-spit of him!" I whisper, taking the tissue from Jen. "The eyes, the smile, and you're going to be tall. I'm Joan, your father's, I mean your grandmother."

 

"I'm Gus, your son's, I mean your grandson."

 

"Gus." A woman's stern voice chides him.

 

"No, it's fine," I call back, still fixated on Gus. "Just the lickety-spit. So who have you brought with you?"

 

"My Mom, the teller-offer, Mel. My godfather, Emmett. My dudette, Daphne. Nana Jen, and the guy that wants to bed my dad, his nurse, Justin." I chuckle at the gasp. "Sorry, Justin, what wasn't I supposed to do? Notice or say it?"

 

"Say it!" Justin replies. I smirk at his embarrassment. "Nice to meet you."

 

"Likewise. And Jen, he looks like you. Please, everyone, come in, make yourselves at home." I look at Justin again. "Why are you here? Looking for approval already?" I tease.

 

"Maybe." He blushes, I frown at his medical bag. "I told Brian I would check you over. Can you roll up your sleeve, please?" I do so, and he takes my pressure. "Nice, very nice. Sorry, you went through that." He starts to send a text. "Just letting him know you're okay." We wait for a few seconds, he smiles and hands his phone to Emmett, who looks pleased. "What does he mean, it's a rainy day?"

 

"Ah, that." He chuckles. "He said when he first met me, that I bet you can make anyone smile on a rainy day. But I may have competition, he's not seen you in full happy beam, has he, Justin? Now Benjamin, if you please?" Jen and I laugh, as Emmett, gently but firmly, tries to move Ben out of the way. "Okay, compromise, you show me where everything is, then sit down?" He opens the cupboards but still doesn't take a seat. "One out of two, I can live with that, for now. So, Joan, he told us about his childhood, how did you win him back?"

 

I'm brought up short and look at Jen and Ben, who nod and smile. "It was after his father died, he was sick for a long time. When he finally passed away, he left most of his estate to Claire, his beloved daughter. He left me the house and also the instructions for the funeral, including getting Brian to pay for it. It had to be the most grandiose of funerals, befitting the great Jack Kinney." I feel tears welling and take another tissue from Ben. "She pandered to him, always, and it got worse after he died. Brian, rightfully said his father died the day he left. She was furious, but never showed it to the outside world. She held the power and the abuse became psychological instead. It went on for years. She held my freedom in her hands. Despite me owning the house, she paid for everything. It was worse than being beaten, I was at her beck and call day and night. I wasn't allowed to get a job, but I was allowed to volunteer at a women's refuge. She only got me the placement so she could crow about I could be them if I wasn't careful. And that's where I ended up after drinking on the job."

 

"She threw you out?!" Gus gasps. "What a cow!"

 

"Not the word I used." Hunter gripes. It takes a few seconds for them to guess what he said.

 

"Ooh, he hates that!" Mel declares, whilst Jen and Ben nod. "How long were you grounded for?"

 

"A month." Hunter looks determinedly at Jen and me. "And I'm still not sorry."

 

"Good!" Gus punches his shoulder. "So then what happened?"

 

"She couldn't have the family stink around, so she put me in a refuge outside of Pittsburgh, out of sight out of mind. As she dumped me there, she gloated that she picked it because it was one next to a church, for you to pray to come home, which you never will. Ironically, the church also held AA meetings. I stumbled in by accident, drunk of course. They were so kind, listened, and got me sober. My sponsor reached out to Brian as part of my steps to make amends. He wasn't interested, but thanks to Ben and Jen, they persuaded him to at least speak to me. He said that he'd speak to me again once I did two years without a drink. So I did."

 

"Shall I take over, Joan?" Jen asks, and I nod. "He kept a distant eye on her. Once she made her amends, then she met Hunter, and it was love at first sight!" She ruffles his hair. "Both of them, although Gus has the looks, Hunter has his mannerisms and way of being." 

 

"So does Gus." Mel smiles, and I believe Gus puffs up a little. "Now what's this about bread?"

 

"It is the best!" Hunter pulls out the shopping. "And the only way he eats -" He stops and stares. "Nana Joan? Is that, that's not, is it?!"

 

"What?" Emmett peers into the bag. "Oxtail? You know how to do this?!"

 

"Yes, it's one of his favourite meals, with sourdough." I look at Ben, who looks as bemused as me at the, quite frankly, slavering, all our new friends seem to be doing. "You like oxtail?"

 

"We love it! Let me explain, Nana Joan." Daphne starts to help. "My Dad, David, who's been bedded by Brian, but is dating Michael, his ex-best friend, took us to a fancy restaurant that served oxtail. His Smother, Debs, said that she could recreate it, even better. She, once more, lied. It was revolting."

 

"Of course it would be, that woman can't cook to save her life!" I snort. "So, I take it you're staying for dinner? The oxtail will be for lunch, and we get to know each other better?"

 

"Indeed!" Ben declares. "Put us to work!"

 

DEB'S HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER

 

KITCHEN

 

MICHAEL

 

I wave at Ma as she and David pick the herbs for dinner, then turn back to watch TV whilst putting the phone on speaker. "I can't talk long, Kip, we're at Ma's for dinner."

 

"I've got all the stock. Shall I bring it around to yours or to the store?"

 

"The store or Debs's house, not ours." David makes me jump. He doesn't notice my grimace at that pronouncement. "We're going to start cooking in about five minutes, Michael."

 

"Hi, David!" Kip yells. "What are you eating, and is there enough for another?!"

 

"Sure, Kip honey, come on. We can wait for him, can't we, David?!" I grin at Ma, she and Kip really get on, even better than she and David.

 

"I guess. How long are you going to be, Kip?" Although he's saying the right things, he doesn't look at all happy, which annoys me. I've got to tolerate his pushy princess.

 

"About twenty minutes, shall I grab beer?!"

 

"Yes!" "No, thank you!" David and I speak together. I frown. "Why not?"

 

"Because we're having the wine you made me bring with dinner, remember?" He replies frostily as he hunts in cupboards. "Why did you, since she has them already?" He sighs crossly. Then he takes out the wine that we found when we saw the Old Newt. "I'll just get this opened."

 

"Okay, I will be there in ten minutes. See you soon!"

 

"Okay, honey!"

 

DEBS

 

Luckily, David has his back to me, so he can't see how annoyed I am. He takes down the glasses. "We should have red. It will go best for what we're eating," he states. Michael and I exchange looks; sometimes he can be a bossy bastard. "So, what happened?"

 

"Uh, happened?" I frown.

 

"Yes, Michael said you were upset about someone you bumped into in the store?"

 

"Oh, that. Brian's drunken skunk of a mother. She was stocking up, of course." I sneer. "I let her have it, told her that he's back and staying with us, and wants nothing to do with her." He's got this weird look on his face.

 

"What?"

 

"But that's not true."

 

"We know that, but she doesn't!" Michael laughs. "Oh, you should've seen her, she looked like she wanted to cry!" He and I hi-five. "Brian would be so pleased that we put her in her place!"

 

"I see." He's got that stink-face he gets. "Well, I'm going to speak to Daphne. I said I'd call her."

 

"Why now? We're about to cook dinner." Michael, rightly, point outs.

 

"Not without Kip. After all, many hands make light work, don't they?" He stalks out.

 

"What's up his ass this time?" I grumble. Lately, he's been more of a misery.

 

"Most likely, something boring to do with a patient."

 

"Let's hope his mood is improved by talking to his punkass princess!" I scowl, joining Michael in the lounge. "What are you watching?"

 

"Nothing, was channel surfing. Well, since he's opened it, shall we have some?" He nods at the red. Just as we reach the counter, he comes back in, still looking moody. "Ma and I are about to pour, you want to sort dinner?"

 

"Again, we're waiting for Kip." He's being such an ass tonight. "And what about going home, or did you forget you're driving?"

 

"He can have one glass." I protest. "One glass is not going to make a difference."

 

"It makes a difference to me, so please don't."

 

"For crying out loud it's one glass!" Michael snaps.

 

"I don't drink and drive with you, why can't you afford me the same courtesy?!"

 

"David, what the hell is wrong with you?!" Michael gasps.

 

"I could ask you the same question!" He snaps. Before he can continue, Kip comes through the front, we both cringed. "A key? He has a key? I've been with your son for over three years, and I still have to knock!"

 

"I'm their business partner, some of the stock is here, stands to reason I would have a key. You don't have a reason to come and go, do you?" Kip declares as he takes off his jacket.

 

"I suppose not." David retorts. "I won't be a minute, left something in the car."

 

I follow him, he's doing something in the trunk. "You idiot, you know you're not supposed to use the key when he's about!" I call over my shoulder, keeping an eye for the misery's return.

 

"In my state of hunger, I forgot." Kip sniggers. "What's he cooking, anyway?"

 

"Chicken piccata." I sigh as I hug Kip. He's such a sweetheart.

 

Admittedly, I was initially wary of having someone else in the business, but he's proved his worth and he and Michael get on so great - but they're just friends, sadly. I would love for them to be dating, but Michael loves David!

 

"What's wrong with piccata?" Kip frowns.

 

"Nothing, but that's all we cook around here. When we're at ours, he cooks better stuff, this is so basic." Michael pours the wine, then takes down a tumbler, before filling that with a smirk. "I would never drink wine from a tumbler in front of him, he hates it. Says it ruins the wine's character. Gotta keep the main man happy, which obviously is me."

 

Then he tops up the bottle from the one we opened yesterday. We laugh and clink glasses.

 

TEN MINUTES LATER

 

DAVID

 

"Sorry all, I had to take a call," I shout as I return.

 

"Another one?" Michael demands testily. "We're really very hungry now. Is it going to take long?"

 

"Work call. Why didn't you start it?"

 

"Because you said you were cooking!" He snipes.

 

I take cleansing breaths and count to ten. "I said many hands make light work, so if you could come and help then we can eat quicker."

 

"We're working now!" Kip calls back, when I hear the theme tune to yet another crappy cartoon, I know that I'm on my own, like I always am in this place when it comes to cooking. This is why I always do something quick, the less time I spend in this kitchen the better.

 

Ten minutes later, everything is ticking along nicely, I just need to fry them off. Taking my patience as well as the tray with nibbles, the wine, and my glass, in my hands, I join them in the lounge.

 

"Have some tomato bread. That's what I left in the car. I've warmed it up, should keep you going until dinner."

 

"Great!" Michael declares, taking a piece and passing the plate down. "And how long is that going to be?"

 

"About fifteen minutes." I return, internally screaming at what they're watching, which they saw last weekend! I decided to drown both my sorrows and that noise so pour the wine. "Where did you get this?!" I wince, discreetly spitting it back into the glass.

 

"Erin's. Isn't it great!"

 

"It tastes off. Excuse me, Michael, I just need to get rid of this!"

 

"Sure, sure, go ahead." He waves me off.

 

I reach for his glass and swallow. "Michael."

 

"Shush, this is the best bit." Michael is glued to the screen, they all are.

 

"I'll just sort out dinner." I grit out. Heading to the kitchen, I turn off the stove, sweep every bit of food into the bin, grab the wine I brought, and go home.

 

DAVID AND MICHAEL'S HOUSE - NEXT AFTERNOON

 

LOUNGE

 

MICHAEL

 

"This one fucking thing! You couldn't do it!" Daphne screams. "How long have you been putting my father in danger?!"

 

"It was one drink, he'd had a stressful day!" Ma shouts back. "You didn't have to throw the food away, David, that was childish. We had to order in, which was a waste of money!"

 

"Neither you nor your son paid for the food!" Daphne shouts. "As usual!"

 

"Everyone calm down! Michael, you've got to understand my upset. You lied to me. I hope that this was the only time?" I nod vigorously, as does Ma. "You promise not to do that again? That really hurt me, Michael, promise me." Daphne hisses and swears. "I know, darling, I know, but we've all made mistakes. And luckily, nothing bad has happened because of this one. So let's put it behind us. Michael, do you promise on the soul of Debs, not to do that again?" I rush to hug him, burying my face in his chest, I nod. "I need you to say the words."

 

"I promise on the soul of my beloved Ma not to do that again."

 

"Thank you, now why don't you go up and rest?"

 

"Will I be okay staying too, Daphne?" Ma reaches for her, but she steps back.

 

"No, he's the only one being suckered in by your bullshit. However, this is his house. Thank God you're not on the lease. Dad, this is your love life, and he's your folly." Opening the door, she says, "I hope you sleep well."

 

Once the door is shut behind us, we smile in relief. "Did he check that your fingers were crossed?"

 

"Of course not!" I snicker. "Now let's get some coffee and head to your room for a nap!"

 

LOUNGE

 

DAPHNE

 

Dad accepts the very large whisky. He was devastated last night, especially how she encouraged him. We persuaded him to come over and he and Joan got talking. She told him the truth about Brian's relationship with Michael and Debs, it's nothing like what they said, of course, but it was when he admitted that he'd always wondered why Emmett would never meet Ted, even just to get the money back, that the shit hit the fan.

 

"Do you think that was true?" He looks pensive and exhausted, although there's a tiny fire in his eyes.

 

"You said he always looked a little pleased when Emmett mentioned Ted, so let's hope so."

 

PITTSBURGH OPERA HOUSE - THREE DAYS LATER

 

BLAKE

 

I scan the crowd, nothing, there's nothing. Sighing, I check the time, it's almost the start. I look across at Ben, he shakes his head. "Final call, final call, all patrons to be seated, please!"

 

"Maybe he got the date wrong?" I sigh as the doors shut.

 

"Maybe, let's go back. He'll need a report anyway." Ben grumbles. He really wants to fix this for him, methinks he has a little crush!

 

"Where's Ems?" I ask.

 

"Bathroom. I'll get him, he wanted to cry alone when he didn't turn up. Even though I've never met him, which I can't wait to do! I can't understand why Michael, knowing that he was coming every year wanting to fix it with Ems, never told him. After all these years, he never told him!"

 

"Excuse me. Did, did you say Ems?" We turn, and there clutching two tickets with tears running down his face is Ted Schmidt. "As in Emmett Honeycutt? Do you know him well? Do you know where he is?"

 

"Behind you, Teddy." Ems sniffs, and even the granite, like Ben's eyes, are shining as they fall weeping into each other's arms.