- Text Size +

CHAPTER 9 - THE GREATEST REUNION - IN THEIR MINDS ANYWAY


DAVID AND MICHAEL’S HOUSE - THREE WEEKS LATER


KITCHEN


DEBS


“He really is the best brother, isn’t he?!” I declare.


“And the best Uncle!” Michael adds. David chuckles and nods. “Thanks to him, I get to introduce you to my best friend!”


“I’m looking forward to it.” David takes out the butter and a jar of spread, then starts some toast. “What time is he coming here?” 


Michael looks annoyed. Okay, we’ve told him about ten times what is happening, however, David’s had a really busy last couple of weeks, as he well knows since he's done nothing but complain about his lack of attention! 


“We’re meeting him in Woody’s first, then if he’s not fucking, sucking or drunk  we’ll go back to Ma’s.” 


“Sorry, Michael, why would he be fucking or sucking? Drunk I can just about understand.”


“Because he’s Brian Fucking Kinney, Stud of Liberty Avenue!” Michael states, or should I say snarks. Don’t know why he’s really got an attitude this morning, but he’d better lose it before the evening. 


It’s been two weeks since Vic called to say that he’d been speaking to Brian for the last year or so. At first, we were pissed that he went behind our backs, as we still think he overreacted, but then I sat back and thought about it, and I have to admit, to myself, we were kinda mean. Michael’s opinion is that Brian best be ready to apologise to us for the distress he caused, especially to him, since he was more devastated than he let on. 


“It’s been over eight years, what makes you so sure he’s the same man?” 


“Of course he is, except better looking!” Michael declares, picking up the jar. “Oh, this looks nice, what is it?” 


“Honey and chocolate. Morning, Dad, did you sleep well?” Daphne asks as she strolls in. After kissing David’s cheek, she takes the jar. “You can get it in all good health food shops.” He looks at David but he’s got his back to us. 


“Are you still going to meet Emmett tonight?” I glance at Michael. We’re both praying that David doesn’t mention our plans, we want Brian to ourselves before we reassemble the family again. Michael can’t wait to tell him about Mel and Gus. I said Mel should tell him, but he thinks as his best friend, it would sound better coming from him.


“Nope, he’s got other plans. I’m seeing Justin instead.” 


Michael looks incredulous as David puts the toast on a tray with some pats of butter and coffee. She adds the spread, and after another kiss, walks out. “I thought that was for me.”


“What?” David frowns.


“Breakfast.” He sighs crossly.


“You’ve had breakfast.” He nods at the sink. “Please put them in the dishwasher before you go.”


“Why can’t Daphne do it when she puts in her things?”


“Because they’re your things. Besides, she won’t be using it, porcelain doesn’t go in there.” He replies, reaching for the key hook. “See you guys, have a good day.” 


Michael is slack jawed as he walks out, whistling. “What’s wrong?” I nudge him towards the dishwasher. “Let’s load this and get going.”


“She is getting on my nerves again!” He bristles, taking out the soap. “You can get it at all good health food stores! How could he not hear her crappy tone? I thought we were supposed to be making efforts to get along? She’s doing fuck all!” 


“I know, but, and let’s be honest here, as parents - no matter how undeserving the child is - we will defend ours first.”


“That’s fine when the child isn’t selfish and spoiled, like her!” He spits, before shaking off his bad energy, as he calls it. “Shall we let Kip open tomorrow? And what are we going to wear tonight?”


“Yes to Kip, and as for tonight, I think we should go for something new!” He flings his arms around me and kisses my cheek. “Let’s hit the posh shops!”


“Excellent!” He slams the dishwasher shut and stretches. “Oh, where’s the keys to the van? I could’ve sworn I hung it up there last night.”


“I don’t think you did.” He dashes to the hallway, so I follow, frowning as he checks his jacket and rucksack, looking panicked. “Michael, what’s wrong?”


“Yeah, you okay?” Daphne asks as she passes. 


“Fine. I’m fine.” He snipes. Seriously, what's with him today? “Enjoy your evening!”


She just rolls her eyes and walks away.


GUEST ROOM - FIVE MINUTES LATER


MICHAEL


“Ma, check your bag!” I order, dumping mine out. “I need to find those keys! Although I’ve a good mind to tell David about that nasty look. Why didn’t you pull her up?” 


She mutters something as she searches. “They’re not in here, just get another set cut.” 


“I can’t.” I sit down heavily. “They’re for his princess’s van.” She frowns. “When I wanted to borrow it once, she said no. So I use it when she’s not here.” 


“Michael.” She sighs, sounding pissed. “You have a van!”


“I know, I know. Hers is so much nicer!” 


“Why not just accept that she said no?”


“Screw that, it's the thrill of her not knowing. What with the change in tune, we’ve enjoyed getting one over her before right?” Slowly she nods, we’ve often said that she can be far too precious and selfish with things that she could share. 


“You know the excitement of seeing Brian is messing with my brain! I left it outside the store, the keys are on the hook in there!”


“But how hasn’t she realised?”


“She takes taxis everywhere, or uses David’s Mercedes. Since they're roughly the same shape, I’ve put mine under the cover. Genius, no?” Again she nods, but still doesn't look as pleased as I thought she would. “I’ll have to get it valeted I suppose, which can wait until till she’s gone.”


“No it can’t!” She snaps, surprising me. “She’s going to lend it to Mel and Emmett for the weekend!” 


“Oh how annoying. I’ll call Kip and get him to bring it back.” I reach for my phone, but she shakes her head. “Why not?”


“Because you shouldn’t have taken it! You left it there, you bring it back!”


“You’re joking?”


“Move your ass!”


HALF AN HOUR LATER


DAPHNE


Judging by her ramrod posture and jerking away from him, he’s done what he does best and pissed someone else off. His snippiness this morning almost had me calling Dad to blab about his cheating, then telling Mikey I knew about the van. However, Brian made me promise not to say anything about that, no matter how galling a fucker he is. Joan and Jen came up with a much better plan, which has been shared with a select few, but it will all become very clear very quickly. 


I survey my wardrobe, remembering the last time we all went shopping for his birthday, which is two days before mine. It was both tragic and tiresome. He was full of pomp and splendour at all he got, but when it came to mine, whilst he thanked me, it was immediately tossed aside. Oh how he scoffed and looked pityingly at me when I assured him that I wasn’t jealous of Dad giving him money and attention.


He was the green eyed brat when Dad treated me to lunch at Le Mont, a Prada shopping spree, plus the van. He was absolutely furious, huffing and puffing about me demanding overblown gestures because he had Dad’s attention. He was both pissed and mortified after Debs told him they were my birthday presents. 


When he tried to say that the presents from Dad were joint ones and that he was kidding before, nobody bought that. His present to me, enforced by Dad, of being at my beck and call for two days was better than anything his money could buy!


“Oh this is perfect, this is guaranteed to piss him off.” I take out my Prada jacket, leather jeans and my vintage comic book tee. The latter especially makes him pout as Debs gave it to me as her present. They were together when she bought it, of course he thought it was for him. Consequently, he’s been hunting high and low online ever since. It's so odd that each time he finds one, he’s outbid . So very odd!


KINNEY RESIDENCE, SAME TIME


LOUNGE


JUSTIN


I watch for signs of discomfort, but find none. The additional muscle he’s gained has not affected him, and, according to Mom, his strut is back! He’s worked so hard to get here, and she’s very proud of him. They both are. Mom and Joan have become great friends, and want nothing more than everyone to be happy. 


And the happiest so far are definitely Ted and Emmett. He’s paid back an extra $5,000 by selling everything he could in Boulder, arriving with a suitcase and a check. He’s also an unpaid tutor to Hunter and Gus, seems that they take after their father in that math is not something they can get their heads around! It's so bad that when Hunter swears, he says algebra instead of fuck, something that Gus has taken up. It's so nice that there’s no jealousy between them. 


“For a man who wants to get into my pants, try paying attention when I’m in them, so you know what to take off!” 


I smirk. “Prada, button fly jeans, 2017 season. They had a slight design flaw in that the buttons were a little stiff, but that adds to the anticipation, does it not?”


Licking my lips, I untuck his shirt. “May I assist? My hands are nice and warm. Wouldn't want you jerking before you need to.”


“Hmmm.” He growls, then checks his watch. Before I can react, he swoops down and kisses me.


He grabs both wrists with one hand and my throat with the other. The kiss is brutally tender as he alternates between sucking and stroking my tongue. 


He kisses a trail along my chin then whispers. “Your move.” 


FIVE MINUTES LATER


I’m in the bathroom. My lips are swollen, I can still feel his nails across my throat. Still taste him on my lips and in my mouth. “Shit!” I mutter, scrubbing my face. “My virgin ass is in trouble, big trouble!”

 

BRIAN


I shouldn’t have done that! It's confirmed what deep down I knew, I want him, really want him - both in and out of bed.


WOODY’S, EARLY EVENING 


DEBS


I’m still mad at Michael for using her van. I would've stopped him if I knew. I thought it was Kip’s, since I’ve never actually seen her over extravagant gift from David, as he bitched at the time. Consequently, we never got to go shopping, since Kip had taken it home, which is in Harrisburg - over three fucking hours away! So Michael had to go get his van, drive to Kip’s to pick hers up, then get it valeted! 


He’s been sucking up ever since, the good champagne is a start! I’m just getting comfortable when I spot Emmett. Michael sees him in the mirror above my head and hurries to the booth.


“Ring Uncle Vic, get him to stall Brian!” He hisses. “I’ll get rid of him!”


As I move out of the booth, of course, I bump into Mel! “Hi, sweetheart! What are you doing here?!” 


“Meeting Ems, why are you shouting?” She winces then kisses my cheek. “You look like you’re celebrating.” She nods over my shoulder. “Want me to watch that whilst you go wherever you’re going?” 


I check behind me. Michael’s coming back by himself. I know it's selfish to want Brian to ourselves for the first night, but we do. “No, it’s fine. I’ve got a bit of a headache, so we’re going to go now. Just going to the bathroom.”,


“Oh shame. I’ll nab the booth.” She’s pushed by me before I can stop her.


MEL


It took everything not to laugh at her panic, his gurning is not helping. “Hey, Michael, how are you doing?”


“Fine, just fine.” He grabs the champagne. “Ma’s not feeling well, so we’ll be seeing you.” 


“She did look peaky. Am waiting for Ems. Ah, there he is. Ems! Ems! Back here!” 


EMS


I suppress my smile as the side door brings in Justin. Michael looks oddly at him, he relaxes as he heads to the bar. Debs, however, keeps looking at the door when she rejoins them. 


“Hi-hi! One second!” I trill, slowing my approach, I snort as Daphne’s arrival turns them both grey, actually green in Michael’s case - ah, she’s wearing the infamous tee! She hangs back, as she too has to have perfect timing.


How is Mel not on the floor in full cackle?! “You guys going now?” I hear her ask.


“Yes, Ma, did you manage to get hold of Uncle Vic?” 


“No, he was engaged.” She replies. “You keep trying him on our way home.”


I’m now level with Jen. With a wink, she steps aside. “Hello, Honeycutt!”


“Big Bad!” I gasp. Now even though we had planned this, him planting a kiss on my mouth wasn’t discussed.


“BRIAN!” Michael yells. “Welcome back! Look at everyone, Ma and I brought the Stud home, where he belongs!” His smile begins to slip as Brian takes his time letting go.


“Hey, Mikey, Debs, how are you?”


MICHAEL


How are we?! That’s it?! How are we?! Also why is he kissing Emmett and not me?!


Woody's starts to buzz with excited chatter. People are looking at us, well me, oh yes people, I did it! And now to start our lives again!


“I see the gang’s all here, except Lindz and Ted, where are they?” Brian asks, pulling a stunned Emmett behind him. 


“There’s no longer a Lindz.” Uncle Vic declares as he comes through the side door, which he holds open. “As for Ted, he’s here.”


“What?!” Ma and I shout. I’m aghast, he never said anything about that.


“Teddy!” Emmett screams, launching himself at him. 


As they blubber and wail in each other’s arms, I grab Uncle Vic. “Why the hell is he back? You never mentioned you were in touch with him!” 


“What’s the problem? You’ve got your best friend back, why shouldn't I do the same for Emmett?”


“Oh, Brian, it’s so good to have you back!” Ma is sobbing, he’s whispering to her. “So very good!”


“Yeah it is. Back home with my good friends and family.” He declares, one hand is rubbing her back, with the other he hands the champagne to me. “Get that opened, Mikey, we're celebrating the return of the prodigal sons. Come here, Schmidt!” 


I fume as he hugs Ted. Wonder if he would be hugging him so if he knew what he said the day he left! 


“Michael, I’ll open it, you get more glasses!” Uncle Vic orders. “So glad that this is done, keeping that a secret for so long was hard!” He looks at Mel. “You okay, sweetheart?”


“Yea, um, yes. Hi, Brian. We’ve got a lot to talk about.”


“You and me? For why?” He drawls. “Before you answer that, let Debs sit down.”


“Such a good boy!” Ma sniffs, accepting the tissues.


“So talk.” 


“Guys!” I declare. “Let’s do this later. We're celebrating his return! Now if I could have a minute with my best friend!”


The cork popping sounds like a gunshot. Uncle Prick pours and hands one to Brian and the other to Ma. They clink and smile lovingly at each other. 


“Michael, I didn’t know you’d be here, don’t suppose you’ve seen Justin?”


“Daphne!” I gripe. “He came and went, sorry.”


“Hey, Daph! I want you to meet my other nephew. This is Brian, Brian this is Daphne.” Uncle Prick smiles. “Michael, glasses and order, um, three, yeah three more bottles.”


“Enchante.” Brian drawls kissing her hand. 


Why the fuck has she got a kiss before me?!


“Oh the pleasure is all mine. Or it could be ours?”


“He's very gay!” I snap, and push my way to the bar. This is not quite how my evening is supposed to be going!


TWENTY MINUTES LATER


MICHAEL


“What were you doing?!” Ted asks. I’m stunned, because as well as  bar snacks, four bottles of champagne and extra glasses, we’ve now been joined by Justin! 


Brian is sitting between Ma and Emmett, talking away, his arm draped over her shoulders.


“Where’d they come from?!” I demand, setting down my tray. ‘It took a fucking age to get served!”


“That's most likely my fault.” I look up at this new arrival. “Hi, I’m Ben, you’re Michael, so good to meet his best friend after all this time.”


“Nice to meet you.” I put a smile on despite my annoyance. It's not his fault that Brian’s being an asshole right now. “After all this time? Has Brian told you about me?”


“Yes, about you, Debs, everyone. You're exactly as he described.”


“And who are you to Brian?” I beam.


“His boyfriend of three years.” Ben smiles before blowing Brian a kiss, which he returns.




Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing