- Text Size +

CHAPTER 16 - REUNITED AND IT FEELS SO…GOOD?


MICHAEL AND DAVID’S HOME - FORTY MINUTES LATER


LOUNGE


MICHAEL


About bloody time, I fume as the door opens and she’s trying to persuade the mutt to come in! 


“Did he give you much trouble? I will speak to Brian about lessons! Put him outside, then come through the kitchen. We’ve just had a new carpet put in the lounge!” 


“Debs, let me take him, you go and sit down.” Why has David come back with her, what happened to the appointment?! Getting her alone was the whole point of me saying come back to ours! “Michael, put the kettle on for the tea whilst I do that, okay?!” 


“Tea?” My hopes soar. Tea means that he’s going to be going out - he’s so teetotal when he’s driving, even just ten minutes down the road, so annoying. “Okay then. Ma, you’ll have wine, right?”


“I’ve bought champagne!” She laughs as she enters…with Kiki and Ted! “The tea is for Ted, Kiki and I will have this. Would you be okay to open it, Ted?”


“Of course.” He smiles, I move my phone from his thieving druggy reach. “How have you been, Michael?”


“Great. David and I just came from a romantic break in Eastport.” I gloat. “It’s so good to be in a loving and stable relationship. I doubt anything like that is on the horizon for you.”


“What I have in my life is wonderful right now. Friends and family, especially Ems, Debs and Brian.” He returns, then chuckles. “Judging by the way that David is with Pharoah, I can see him adding to his.”


“That’s something for us to discuss.” I clip out, watching David wrestle with the dog. “I won’t be a second, make yourselves comfortable.”


It takes almost three minutes for David to notice me. “He is gorgeous, isn’t he?!” 


“He’s cute. What time’s your appointment?” I close the door and step closer. “And what are Ted and Kiki doing here?”


“You’d need to ask your Mom.”


“I thought you had an appointment around now?“ I press as he continues to play with Pharaoh. “David, your appointment? And can you drop Kiki and Ted off as I want to speak to Ma about something.”


“Rescheduled.” He frowns at the sky. “Pharaoh, come!” He grins as he trots back with a stick. “Drop. Debs wanted to speak to both of us. Shall we go in?” 


As I’m about to insist Pharaoh stays outside, the heavens open. “You put the kettle on, I’ll dry him off!” He orders, pushing past me. Filled with rage and confusion, I go do my master's bidding!


BRIAN’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


KITCHEN


JUSTIN


“Hi.” He grins.


“Hi.” I grin back.


He adjusts his hold around my ass. He was unfazed when I leapt into his arms seconds after he came in. 


“You’re either lighter than you look or that exercise regime you have me on is working.” I nip his top lip. “Is that a taster?” I kiss his forehead. “Did you miss me?” He smirks.


“Did you miss me?” I counter.


“Who leapt?” His answer bumps against me.


“Who caught?” I jibe. He rolls his eyes, then hips. “Brian.” I husk. “Now...”


PANTRY - TEN MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


Although they've gone, their laughter lingers. “Were you trying to tell me our Moms are here?” I quip; he sighs and nods. “They think we're just kissing…” His snort turns into a moan as I return my hand to his cock, which was swinging so provocatively in his sweats when he jumped on me. “...ever done it when your folks were home?” His shocked lusty look makes me chuckle. “It does add to the thrill, having to keep quiet, whilst…” My sigh at my fly going down, reverberates, his fingers are warm and determined.  “…fucking.” He frowns. “What’s that look for? You’ve seen and felt it before…admittedly that was your nose.” 


Not only does his frown deepen but he starts to soften. “Justin?”


“I can feel something. What is that?” 


“A fake ball.” I remove my hand. “I hoped you would…”


“It was you that had cancer?” I’m stunned. “She never said who; just asked me so many questions. I thought she was gearing up to tell me something, but she never did.”


“Who are you…”


“My Mom. Does Joan know? What about Ben and Hunter? Mel? Gus?” His caring expression cools my anger at it a little. “Sorry, I’ve ruined the…”


“Stop.” I kiss his forehead, he maintains eye contact whilst zipping me back up. “The only one that doesn’t is Gus. Mel, Ems and I are going to be telling him.”


“Will Hunter be with him?” He alternates between rubbing and squeezing my side. This level of intimacy is unfamiliar and a little discomfiting. “How will you tell him? It will be daunting to hear it.” His concern for Gus begins to thaw the Davy Jones’s locker I’ve put it in for years. Not wanting to deal with it because I’m angry that I had to face my mortality so soon. “Maybe if he reads it first then he can ask you quest…” I open the door. “...Brian, I’m sorry it’s the nurse in me. How you do this is none of my…” I hold up a hand. “...um?”


“Come with me.” 


BRIAN’S ROOM - FORTY MINUTES LATER


JUSTIN


We’d sat on the bed to read his cancer record, for him it's the first time. The file wasn't even unsealed. It being a paper file didn’t surprise me; when I asked if that was because he didn’t want to accidentally open an electronic one, he nodded. Now that he’s read and understood it; he’s turned from haunted, angry and scared to accepting and relieved.


He’s speaking to his oncologist whilst making notes. I put the blackberry whisky down with a smile. “One sec…get our Moms for me, please.” We're back in seconds. “Let me just put you on speaker, Dr Frost…” They look shocked. “…with me are my Moms and my friend, Justin, so you can take us through it together and we can figure the best way to tell Gus and his other grandma. Suspect she’ll freak out the most.”


LOUNGE - A COUPLE OF HOURS LATER


JEN


I’m so proud of him; Justin got him to talk about his cancer! When he was first diagnosed, he clammed up, not even telling Ben about appointments. He went on his own. Even though he was sick with the treatment, he refused help. Now that monkey’s finally off his back, he’s napping with Joan watching over him.


Justin’s gone to get some things for the rest of the week; all four of them are telling them this weekend. It also saves him the journey Brian said. I resisted pointing out that he lives less than an hour away and it’s Wednesday!


MICHAEL AND DAVID’S HOME - SAME TIME


KITCHEN


MICHAEL


“You’re not serious?!” I gasp. “This is something that we as partners, let alone mother and son, should’ve discussed in private first!”


“As you said to me before...” Ma glowers. “...I can handle the business side of things, so it’s handled. I’ve sold to Ted, and that’s that. Figure out how to work together.”


“You’ve got the money already?” I drop into the chair. “Where from Ted? Unlike Ems, I doubt that Brian would just cut you out of his life for taking his money.” 


“Since you know nothing about Brian, there’s no chance of you telling me his bank details. However, it’s because of Brian that I'd been able to pay.”


“Brian?” I echo.


“Yes, he gave me the money.” How I wish his tea would burn his throat then choke him. “Nothing changes for you and Kip. You’ve often said how much of a nest egg this is.” He slides across a card. “I meant to give you this the last time we were together, but you left so quickly. It’s Brian’s number.” 


“Thanks.” I grit out feeling so insulted that I’m getting it from him and his barbed remarks. “I’ll call him later. We’ll have to get together, Ted, to discuss how the business works.” I start to clear the table - they are frowning. “You guys aren’t finished then? Okay, I’ll take the dog back to Brian.”


“Pharaoh is staying with Mel.” David ruffles his ears. “So take him there, will you be long? You guys staying for take out?” Oh, hold a second…” He steps out to take his call, we sit in silence. “...sorry about that guys. I’ve got to go. Michael, I can drop you off instead.”


I’m so relieved to be getting out of the company of those three grinning fools that I rush out, almost knocking Daphne over. “Sorry, need the bathroom!” I lie, but then head that way for a few minutes respite - and to call Brian!


THE CAR - AN HOUR LATER


DAVID


I know exactly why he’s so chipper. First, because he was happy to get Pharoah out of the car, but more importantly, for him, he’s seeing Brian, and just Brian, tomorrow. He has not stopped talking about how they’re going to go to Woody’s, maybe even  Babylon, and I shouldn't wait up for him. I just smile and nod.  


“Oh, who was on the phone?” He asks, checking his reflection.


“The first was Evan, the second…” I grimace at the traffic. “...what’s going on up there?” I crane my neck to see. “Well the cops are there; an accident maybe.”


“Why are you speaking to Evan?” He slowly faces me.


“Why shouldn't I speak to him?”


“Because I’m your boyfriend…”


“Which has what to do with him as my patient?” I ask.


“He slept with Brian.” He states. “And why didn't you tell me about this?”


“I did, whilst we were in Eastport. Why didn’t you didn’t tell me that you gave Ted Emmett’s bank information, why did you do that?”


He frowns. “Never mind that now. I can’t have you treating someone that Brian has slept with! It will impact our future relationship!”


“Then I’d have no home patients given his reputation around Liberty Avenue!” I laugh, then see he’s serious! “Michael, you’re not only being ridiculous but you sound jealous.”


“I’m not jealous! There are other chiropodists…chiropractors, why can’t he go to them?!”


“Because he wants to work with me; the treatment he’s lined up will more than contribute to our future, which won’t be blighted at all as long as you contain your emotions.”


“My emotions are fine, I was just surprised that's all. This is another thing I’m going to speak to Brian about.”


“Because?” I frown.


“I want his take on it and an explanation about what he did for Ted.”


“That’s none of your business.” I point out.


“Of course it’s my business! He’s in business with me!”


“Ted is, Brian isn’t.” I state, relieved that traffic is starting to move quickly. “I wouldn't broach that subject, he might not appreciate your questions.”


“It will be fine.” He replies, smiling in the side mirror. “He’s my best friend, we’ve always told each other everything and we always will.”


NEW KINNETIC OFFICES - NEXT DAY, AFTERNOON


MICHAEL


“The old baths!” I call out as Brian prowls down the street. Someone catcalls him, he mock salutes. “Of all…” My sentence is drowned out by a horn blast, I huff when the car pulls over. After about five minutes, I decide whoever has had enough of his time. I don’t get more than a few steps before Jennifer gets out, my heart sinking at their linked arms as they approach. 


“Michael, how are you?” She asks as she unlocks the door.


“Great, you? The baths Brian, think you’ll find any memories lingering?!” I flush at their unimpressed expressions. “Just a joke, you know with your history.”


“Not funny.” He retorts, dropping the door on me. I’m taken back to his reaction eight years ago but keep my scowl inside and mutter apologies whilst slowly rubbing my arm. “You’re letting out the heat.” 


After I save his oh so precious heat, I look around. “Wow, some serious money has been dropped on this place!” 


“Of course it has.” He declares. “My clients expect nothing but the best, the only thing that’s different is the aesthetic, intrinsically it’s Kinnetic. Can’t wait for the LA office to be finished.”


“That was the realtor…” Jennifer rejoins us. “...the house in LA is - oh, sorry, Brian. I didn’t realise he was still here, we’ll speak later.”


“It’s okay.” I grin, hanging up my jacket. “You can talk shop in front of me.”  


“No we can’t.” Brian returns. “We’ll talk over dinner, what time is that?” 


“Eight. And don’t be late.” She orders. “Or no pudding for you!”


“Carbs after seven is not something Brian does.” I declare, he smirks and nods.


“It’s peach and red berry ice cream cake.” She smiles as he stops scrolling eyes wide. “You heard me.”


“Eight?”


“Will you be on time?” She asks, clicking her case shut. 


“Yeah.” He kisses her cheek and, finally, it’s just the two of us. It takes him a few seconds to speak, only to say how much he adores her!


“She reminds me a bit of Cynthia.” I barb, hating her for her last line in the sand protecting him whenever I came to the office. He soon set her straight, the same will go for Jennifer no doubt. “Wonder where she ended up. You know Ryder closed down?”


He frowns slightly. “Uh, yeah, I bought him out. As for Cynthia, she runs the California office.”


“She works for you?!” I gape. “Why?”


“She’s the best PA I ever had here, also a true friend.” He sits behind his desk and boots up his computer. “Without her I wouldn't be where I am now. She gave me the tip on the New York job, then got me out there.” 


I’m so winded. “Enough about work, how have you been? Help yourself to a drink.” He waves at the fridge. I take out two beers, crack them open and sit opposite him. “I don’t want one.”


“More for me then.” I smile and take down the first bottle in minutes. “God I needed that!”


“Clearly. Did you drive here?” He raises an eyebrow when I nod. “They’re pretty strong, so maybe take a cab back.”


“We’ve had much stronger than that and driven!” I scoff, his frown deepens. As I put it down, his phone rings. He checks who it is, then heads out to speak to them, taking his laptop with him! 


FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


One of the things about Kinnetic is the two way mirrors, which we kinda tell the client about, so I’ve been watching him whilst checking my emails. It was Mom’s idea to have my alarm go off within 20 minutes and then leave him alone for another fifteen. For the first five or so, he’s just looking around, but as time wore on, his gaze lingered on the door. Now he’s on his third beer - the second empty bottle is in his holdall. I snicker at the video that Hunter sent me of him and Gus making the cake, they’ve taken after me in that we're messy cooks! 


He’s walking around with his arms folded, glaring at the door. I fume as he rubs the beer drip into the carpet with a smile. “Shitkicker!” I mutter and head back out.


“Are we going to catch up, or is there more work for you to do?” That smile doesn't mask the snark. “Can you turn your phone off or put it on silent?”


“No more work and no I won’t.” I put my laptop in my case; he sits on the sofa, patting the space beside him. I take the armchair, he moves closer. “Well how are you?”


“A bit mad at you.”


“Because?” I lean back, hands in pockets, just in case.


“You could’ve let me know that you were thinking of coming back. Why go through Uncle Vic? We're best friends for fuck sake. And then there’s Ted and Ma.”


“Because you hurt me. You watched my goodbye and fuck you lot video, you know since you tried to get in touch with me for the next four years.” Him drinking the beer doesn’t hide the eye rolling either. “But like I said, it’s in the past. You’re doing okay from all accounts. Loved up, almost a father. The business is going well - you’re set for life as long as you don’t fuck it up.”


“What do you mean almost a father? Why would I fuck things up?” He bridles.


“Well, Daph, you’re virtually her stepdad, right? I don’t know how you’ll fuck it up, just saying don’t do that.” 


“Daphne and I don’t have a close relationship.” He sighs. “She’s very jealous of the time David and I spend together. We kind of have the same relationship that you and Ben have, each free to do whatever we want.” I laugh and shake my head. “What?”


“We spend virtually every minute together. As well as my partner in life, he’s involved in the business.”


“As what?!” He scoffs. “How did you two meet anyway?”


“Photoshoot, he was the model.” I drawl; he doesn’t need to know that we met outside a bar when in my drunken state I tried to pick a fight with him. Thankfully he easily blocked my punch, tossed me into his car, and took me back to his place. He sobered me up and we’ve been true besties ever since. “Sorry, what?”


“I asked what photoshoot? You go down memory lane then?” Has he always sounded this bitter? “Maybe I’ve seen it.”


“Yeah; it was one of the first ones I worked on in my old job.” 


He dumps his bottle. “Let’s go to Woody’s, get you out of work mode, yeah?”


“Woody’s?”


“Yeah, gotta start our night!” He grabs his jacket. 


“Michael, I’m going home for dinner, you heard Jen. You can have a couple more if you want, but I’m going home from here.”


“Brian.” He huffs angrily. “You can miss one dinner for time with your best friend.”


“My best friend is going to be at the dinner.”


“Well why didn’t you say that?!” He declares. “Let me freshen up, should I change into something else or will this do?”


“I meant Ben.” He looks pinched and deflated. “We’ve got till six, then I have to go; want to miss the fuck awful traffic.” He yanks out another beer. “Let me book you a cab, Debs will kill me if anything happens to you.”


“You’ve hurt me again!” He spits. “By giving Ted the money to buy Ma out. What the fuck were you thinking, saddling me with that thief?!”


“Who the fuck are you talking to?!” I snarl. “What I do with my money or anything else for that matter is none of your fucking business!” 


“Brian, what the fuck is going on with you?!” He exclaims. “You know what he did to Emmett! Why would you want that for me?!”


“How is that the same?!” I take a couple of deep breaths. “You virtually gave him the money he took from Emmett!” 


“Ma told him too!” He protests. “Why aren’t you busting her balls?!”


“She told him that he had the money, you told him how to get it.” I level my gaze. “And I did bust her balls. She apologised, have you?”


MICHAEL


“Was that when you went around for dinner and ended up decorating her kitchen?” I slam down my beer. “Why did you go around to see her when I wasn’t there?!”


“Because she asked me. She wanted to make peace. You just want to see me as I was then, I’m different now.”


“You’re still the same selfish asshole!” I yell. He picks up his case, so I block his exit. “Brian, it’s the beer talking. You know what I’m like when I get some in me. Come on, let's just sit down and go back to how we were.” 


He regards me for a few seconds. As the anger starts to fade, I know I’ve got him for now…seems I’ve got to be very careful around this new Brian if I want to have him forever!


BRIAN


As he smiles at my ‘surrender’ I know I’ve got him exactly where I want him!



Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if revewing. Thx