- Text Size +

 

Justin awoke the next morning, his brow furrowed in confusion at the innate sense of peace that instantly assailed him. Something wasn't right. He was supposed to be doing something today... an act to evoke heartbreaking consequences, yet now, his mind couldn't find a grasp on it. He turned his head to look at his sleeping vampire, a scowl quickly permeating his face. Fuck, he thought to himself.

 

You've done it again, haven't you, my barbaric beauty?

 

Sliding out of the bed, Justin looked back at him with a mixture of love and irritation... knowing Brian had done something to him last night. But what exactly? Slipping into his jeans, he found a note on the bedside table written in Brian's bold scrawl. He picked it up, reading it quickly.

 

Don't be too upset with me, my brazen little witch. I did what I had to do. In time you will forgive me. You always do. Right? I have a plan that will work. Don't do anything today to fuck it up, or I swear things will be even more unpleasant tonight! Stay safe today... and go buy yourself something hot. I want you to look irresistible. I will meet you at Babylon. I have matters to attend to this evening. And don't worry. It all ends tonight.

 

Justin snorted. It all ends tonight. Who the fuck did he think he was? Shaking his head as he exited their bedroom, Justin closed the door behind him - effectively shutting Brian off from the rest of the world. He proceeded to go upstairs knowing he needed to seek out his sister. Moving through the spacious living room, Justin's eyes lighted on the antique clock that sat upon the mantel seeing in disbelief it was already just past noon. "Fuck," he grumbled, not having time for this today. Powering on his cell phone that he found on the coffee table, conveniently not in the bedroom as it was normally... in addition to being turned off, Justin rolled his eyes at how far his manipulative vampire lover had decided to take his interference.

 

Scanning through his messages, Justin found to no great surprise he had several from both Ted and Lindsay. Deciding only one could be handled now, as Lindsay would need to be contacted in a safe place with no prying witch hearing, he picked up to dial Ted. "Hey Ted," Justin greeted, when the call was answered on the second ring.

 

"Justin, thank God. I've been trying to reach you," Ted said at a quick pace.

 

"Yes, I see all the missed calls with your name attached to them," Justin told him, slightly amused.

 

"Well, the contest is tonight... and I was just checking if you are still performing and if you picked up the posters."

 

Justin listened to Ted's quick words, finding himself more than glad he wasn't with him at Babylon to prepare for tonight's events. "Yes, I am still performing... and no, I haven't picked up the posters. I am off to a late start, but I am leaving now... and I will distribute them as soon as I have them."

 

"Late start? Today? Doesn't Brian understand how important a successful ‘King of Babylon' contest could be to his revenue? I thought you were keeping him focused," Ted grumbled, obviously beside himself in worry.

 

"Ted, it's under control. You really need to calm down. Have you been hanging around with Emmett all morning?" Justin demanded, thinking that to be the cause of Ted's uncharacteristic behavior.

 

Shrugging as he glared at the phone, Ted answered, "Yes, he stopped by. What does that matter? Listen, Justin... I just want this night to go well for Brian. This can be really big if it works out."

 

"I know that, Ted and that's why I will be there doing all I can. Now, I am going to take a quick shower... then, I will pick up the posters and get them hung. Nothing to worry about, Ted. Trust me."

 

Ted laughed nervously, before he agreed, "Okay, Justin. I know you are doing all you can. I think I'll go crunch some more of Brian's numbers until you get here."

 

"That sounds like a good idea. I'll see you soon... and don't worry. Tonight is going to be a roaring success!" Justin told him before ending the call.

 

Two hours later found Justin distributing posters all along Liberty Avenue in and out of the various businesses that had given him permission. Fortunately, Brian was a well-known quantity on Liberty Avenue... Everyone was more than willing to cooperate. There was only one business Justin didn't approach... one that was owned by the man that this night was largely about. Justin would have asked to hang his poster at Boy Toy, but he didn't foresee a welcoming response from Brandon... not even when being asked by him. In his walk to hang his next poster, Justin reached into his pocket to answer his phone knowing he had evaded his sister for long enough.

 

"Yes, Lindsay?" Justin asked in a dull tone.

 

"I could do without the tone, Justin. I've been trying to reach you all day!" she screeched across the line.

 

Justin rolled his eyes. "I know this, dear sister. There really isn't anything to discuss."

 

"Nothing to discuss!?" Lindsay yelled, followed by a barrage of expletives.

 

"Lindsay, you know we can't do this - here and now. As it is, I am hanging posters for tonight. All I need to know is if you did your part..."

 

Sighing in defeat, knowing they couldn't speak freely now, she spat out, "Yes, my part is done. But we need to discuss this. Things have changed, Justin."

 

Justin opened his mouth to answer when he felt a coldness traveling up his spine. He knew instantly the cause of his unrest. Brandon was nearby, in fact, closing in on him now. "I know this," Justin hissed. "We'll discuss this later. I have to go."

 

Flipping his phone closed, inwardly cursing his sister for her reckless behavior to attempt this talk - here and now - Justin stiffened his spine as he moved to hang the next poster, thankful that he was almost finished. Securing the poster, Justin froze for a moment knowing Brandon was directly behind him... feeling the repellent supernatural was about to make his next move. He could feel the heat radiating from him in waves, his lust was palpable... and nearly choking him in its intensity - an effect of Brandon's immense powers, and one that he knew he was purposely evoking. He closed his eyes, forcing his will to override Brandon's attempt at seduction, breathing a sigh of relief finding he was still in control. Very interesting, Justin thought. He was indeed more powerful than Brandon... and now they both knew it.

 

"Well, well... what have we here?" Brandon breathed in a whispery soft caress into his ear. "All alone and advertising for your lover. How utterly sweet. I do hope he appreciates what he has."

 

"I'm sure he does," Justin replied blandly, affecting an air of indifference.

 

Brandon braced an arm on each side of the wall that Justin faced, moving his body in close behind him, breath stirring the strands of hair at his neck. His mouth moving closer so that his lips brushed against his neck, Brandon spoke in a low whisper, "If you were mine, you'd never have any cause to doubt how appreciated you were."

 

Spinning around in the limited space Brandon's close proximity provided, Justin looked at him soberly, before he replied, "Well, I guess we'll never know, will we?"

 

"I wouldn't count on that, Justin." Brandon's hand reached out to stroke Justin's alabaster skin, his eyes narrowing when Justin flinched away. "He has trained you so well, hasn't he? I must commend him for that. Of course, I would make a few modifications."

 

"You know, Brandon... the attention is certainly flattering, but it's totally wasted on me," Justin purred, forcing himself to stay in control, feeling all the seductive impulses Brandon was attempting to overwhelm him with.

 

Brandon moved closer, their bodies touching. His eyes hungry upon Justin's lips, he whispered, "Are you sure about that?"

 

"Positive," Justin bit out. "Now, I need to finish hanging these posters. I'm sure I will be seeing you around."

 

"You can count on it, Justin..."

 

Justin leaned back against the wall, watching as Brandon slowly moved away... gritting his teeth in fury when he turned around to blow Justin a kiss, accompanied by a bodacious wink. Fuck, Justin thought to himself. The man was indeed mesmerizing and deadly when he was channeling himself. The part that worried him the most was that he didn't think Brandon had been giving it his all. He hoped Brian was right... and that this could be finished tonight. Fuck, he hoped so. He wanted his life with Brian as it was before this threat altered their daily lives. His eyes blazing in fury at Brandon's retreating back, he determined that was exactly what he would have... and it began tonight.

 


 

Brian stalked toward his prey, the lust for blood and dominance making his ancient blood simmer and boil within him. He had been following him for the past thirty minutes, waiting for his chance to pounce. As he watched him foolishly turn down an abandoned alley, Brian rejoiced at how easy this was going to be. He picked up his speed before his victim either sensed him... or moved into a more populated area. Before the unsuspecting man knew what was upon him, Brian had his hand at his quivering throat, his eyes burning in a flaming red as he moved in for the kill. "Be still," Brian hissed savagely. "You will survive if you don't fight me."

 

Fear caused the man's eyes to widen as he was drawn helplessly into Brian's gaze. "P-please, I can pay you. D-don't hurt me."

 

"Sadly for you, this is not a mugging," Brian sneered. "Answer my questions and obey my commands... and I will let you go. At least, after I've taken what I need from you."

 

The eyes flitted around in terror, looking at Brian intently. "What are you?"

 

"Your worst nightmare," Brian snarled, his fangs quickly clicking out. "Now, answer my questions. Do you work at Boy Toy?"

 

He nodded vigorously. "Yes. I am the manager."

 

"Excellent. So, you have access to Brandon's office, then..." Brian mused in satisfaction. "You are going to do a special job for me... and it will be done tonight."

 

"Job?" the man whispered, his eyes becoming absorbed by the ones drilling into his.

 

Brian nodded, his eyes feral and magnetizing. "That's right. You will obtain a rectangular box etched in antique stones and calligraphy. You will replace it with this replica I am giving you. When you have it in your possession, you will bring it to me."

 

"No one is allowed into Brandon's office... and if it's in his safe, I don't know the combination. He doesn't trust anyone," the man told him, shaking his head back and forth in denial of Brian's demands.

 

"I have the combination," Brian told him, reaching into his pocket to place the numbers that he had coerced Lindsay to obtain. As much as she abhorred his tactics... she knew she no longer had a choice. Brian had taken control... and he had no intention of relinquishing it. Looking deeply into the quivering man's eyes, Brian glanced around quickly, his acute hearing telling him that they would not be interrupted anytime soon.

 

His eyes glowing, Brian made the move that would assure him of the man's loyalty. In savage intensity, Brian sunk his fangs into the man's neck... sucking voraciously at the punctured vein. He virtually devoured the man, stopping at the precise moment he knew he had to in order to assure himself that the man could carry out his task that was vital to freeing Justin from the evil supernatural that sought to possess him. Pulling back, Brian looked deeply into his eyes... mentally keeping his eyes connected to his own. "You are going to please me, aren't you?"

 

The man bobbed his head, up and down. In a comatose state, he agreed, "Yes, I am going to please you."

 

"Excellent. And what are you going to do with this box?" Brian asked, reaching into his pocket to pass over the one that had been designed to match the one that was to be taken.

 

He reached out for it, sliding it quickly into his inner pocket... without removing his eyes from Brian's. "I am going to replace it in Brandon's safe with the one I am to take."

 

"That's right," Brian purred, his voice low and dark. "Then, you will bring the box to me. You will address the man at the door at Babylon that you need to see me... and I will meet you outside. You will do this as soon as Brandon leaves Boy Toy. Do you have any questions regarding your task?"

 

The man trembled under the feral intensity in Brian's gaze. "No, I understand completely," he answered in a monotone voice.

 

"Very good," Brian told him. His eyes remaining cold, Brian warned him, "Don't disappoint me. Should you do so, I will hunt you down and completely devour you."

 

Nodding, the man shivered. "I won't let you down."

 

Brian patted the man on the cheek, smiling down at him chillingly. "I know you won't. You may go now."

 

He watched as the man departed, vaulting off in the opposite direction to his home, knowing he needed to prepare for Babylon... and the events that would lead to Brandon's destruction. He vowed it would be over tonight... and that Brandon would be disposed of painfully. Brian gritted his teeth in fury knowing he had to play Brandon's game in order to make the evil warlock vulnerable and unsuspecting of his impending destruction. He didn't know how he would be able to endure Brandon looking at or touching Justin. Closing his eyes, Brian attempted to force calm upon his more primal impulses... reminding himself of the love he shared with Justin was worth protecting no matter what the sacrifice.

 

Relieved that Lindsay's prior spell prohibited any witch from reading his mind, or hearing the methods he had employed tonight - Brian's mind raced in savage fury. For every moment you inflict your touch upon my soulmate, I will extend your final suffering. Tonight, Brandon... you learn what it means to touch and threaten what is mine. What will always be mine.

 

TBC