- Text Size +

 

"Justin, surely you're over exaggerating. I don't see how that's even remotely possible!" Lindsay exclaimed, warily watching her pacing brother. "It can't be as bad as all of that."

 

"Not that bad? Okay, answer me this. Why do I hear Brian's thoughts pounding into me? Not fleeting little glimpses - but those that are generated when he is using his powers to attack and control the weak."

 

Lindsay's eyes widened. "That's not possible, Justin. You are impervious to such since your transformation. Your powers are greater than his."

 

"It's been happening for a week now. I shrugged it off at first, but now it's so real. At first, I thought I was losing my powers somehow... but I have used them and they are as strong as ever - if not stronger, all except for that weakness to Brian's will."

 

"I will have to do some research. Does Brian know?" she asked in concern.

 

Justin shook his head vigorously. "No. Thank God. If he finds this out, he will be out of control and we both know it."

 

"Be very careful in the meantime, darling. I don't like this. Something is making this happen. For now, Brian needs to be kept in the dark..." she told him, knowing how Justin would feel in continuing this deception.

 

"I love him, Linds. I don't like lying to him... and if he finds out I have been, he will be livid. You need to find an answer - quickly."

 

"Trust me, Justin. I will find out. I think you should be very careful. Stick close to those you know... and most definitely away from strangers," Lindsay told him, not voicing that if he was vulnerable to Brian... he could be to another vampire as well.

 

Justin's eyes narrowed on her sharply. "Are there other vampires in the area? We have not spoken of this."

 

"Dammit, Justin. I wish you'd stay out of my head!" she growled at him, forgetting once again how adept he had become at hearing her thoughts.

 

"Sorry," he grimaced, knowing he shouldn't do that to her... but in his unease, trying to use every tool at his disposal. Looking at her intently, he asked almost crossly, "Now, are there any other vampires?"

 

"No, not that I'm aware of, but my radar hasn't been up as it was when I was watching over you. Since you have become fully empowered, I haven't really felt the need. In all truth, you can handle anything that comes along without any assistance from me. Your power supersedes mine," she answered, smiling at him lovingly. Closing her eyes, she focused intently on Justin, blocking everything out except him. After a few moments, she opened her eyes looking at him in confusion.

 

"What is it, Linds? Did you see something?" Justin asked, watching her apprehensively.

 

She shook her head in denial. "No, I didn't. That is what concerns me most. I can feel your power... overwhelmingly so. You are not weakening. Your strength is increasing as I always knew it would. That is why this weakness to Brian makes no sense to me."

 

"I am not totally helpless in those moments. I can hear him attempting to compel me, but a part of me recognizes it and manages to push it out. It seems as if it's more delayed if he is in one of his more primal moods, which understandably he is implementing more power then. I don't even think he does it purposely. It's just his natural instinct to hunt."

 

"I don't like it, Justin. It doesn't make sense... and regarding you, my love - I don't like surprises," she snapped, not bothering to attempt to mask how much this alarmed her.

 

"I can't say I'm thrilled about it, either. We have to resolve this quickly, Linds. I don't think I can keep this from Brian indefinitely... nor do I want any secrets between us," Justin clipped out, enraged that he felt forced to keep anything from the man that he loved beyond all understanding.

 

She nodded, moving to hug him tightly. "Don't you worry, Justin. I won't rest until we have an answer."

 

"I'm off to Babylon. Call me as soon as you learn anything."

 

"I will... and be very careful, Justin. Be attentive to everything and everyone," Lindsay sternly advised.

 

Justin kissed her lightly on the cheek, smiling at her reassuringly. "I always do. Don't worry. How can anything bad happen when I have both you and Brian... not to mention all this power?"

 

Lindsay watched Justin depart, forcing herself not to follow; knowing Justin would know it - further realizing she had to let him stand on his own. It was difficult after so many years of watching over him, but with all the power he possessed and the threat of Melanie eradicated, she knew she had to let him live his life. She dug under the floorboards, retrieving books of spells of old, hoping to find something to find answers for Justin; her most profound fear was that the answer wouldn't provide a solution. She hoped to be wrong in that... but her instincts told her quite differently.

 


 

Brian leaned against the bar, chewing disinterestedly on a toothpick - briefly finding the symbolism of a vampire willingly chewing on a small sliver of wood to be morbidly amusing. Of course, the wooden stake through the heart was a myth - at least in his case. He was now impervious to destruction thanks to dear Lindsay. For the first time in three hundred years, he was in control of his destiny. Well, in as much control as possible being that his entire life remained centered around her delicious and often oh so precocious brother. His eyes kept veering toward the entrance, almost willing for the object of his most ardent desires to appear.

 

He knew he shouldn't begrudge any time the two siblings spent together, fully realizing how much they still needed to learn about each other - but the possessive and obsessive side of him couldn't help doing so at times. That little blond-headed beauty had forever thrown his life into turmoil, frustration, and more pleasure than he had ever thought to know. He didn't know how it could be possible to feel such emotion with his deadened heart - he only knew regarding Justin Taylor that was exactly the case. He would do anything for the blond supernatural. He would kill to protect him... and he would undoubtedly destroy anyone who sought to come between them. Justin was his - forever.

 

Brian looked up with a bland smile, when he sensed his friends beginning to flank him. Seeing that the ever-attentive Michael was one of them, he restrained the eye roll that always threatened to escape. His eyes next flickered to Emmett, who was ordering a Cosmo in his typical queenly manor. Then, there was the long-suffering Ted, looking on the both of them in amusement - while eyeing his boss searchingly. Brian quirked a brow at them, saying in greeting, "Well, it appears the gang's all here..."

 

"Sarcasm, Brian? With the thinning crowds that you've had here recently?" Emmett remarked as he took a dainty sip of his drink, before perusing the bodies moving under the dimmed lights.

 

Brian looked around, shrugging his shoulder in disinterest. "Seasons change... and all of that. It doesn't look too bad in here tonight."

 

"We are only filled to half capacity... but it's the largest number in weeks. They must have seen the ‘King' arriving and stopped to see if an occasion represented such a monumental event," Ted responded drolly.

 

Brian scowled as they all laughed at Ted's dry humor; his irritation more placed with Justin's continued delay than anything else. Fuck. He didn't like when that boy wasn't nearby. He didn't attempt to tell himself any longer that it was merely due to needing to know he was safe. Justin could take care of himself. That was no longer an issue. More simply stated - he missed the blond when he wasn't by his side. He felt as if something was missing... and he didn't like that feeling one bit. Brian knew he had become spoiled during the past six months. Most of the time they were inseparable. If Justin was apart from him it was to be with Lindsay or to work on his art. Brian hated to admit to being jealous of either, but he knew that he was. Of course, he wouldn't reveal that. That wasn't Brian Kinney.

 

"Remind me why I put up with you, Theodore?" Brian snapped, his eyes continuing to pull unerringly toward the entrance.

 

Picking up the beer that was placed in front of him, he took a long drink, before answering, "Because I'm the only one that will put up with your moods... and you trust me."

 

Brian turned away, hiding a smirk knowing Ted was right on both counts. A moment later he watched as Emmett sashayed out onto the dance floor, apparently finding something he liked amongst the gyrating bodies; before his gaze turned to find Michael watching him curiously. He lifted his brows asking, "Something on your mind, Michael?"

 

Michael looked around briefly. "Maybe. Where's ‘Boy Wonder'? I thought the two of you were attached at the hip... or did you finally follow protocol and kick him to the curb?"

 

Ted nearly choked on his beer, knowing that was the furthest thing from the truth, most especially after seeing how Brian was looking at Justin earlier. The unthinkable had happened. Brian Kinney was hooked. He wished Michael would see this and move on. In his opinion, Michael had so much to offer. It was his fondest wish that he would find happiness - one that didn't revolve around his fixation on Brian. An attachment that was quite obviously never going to happen. As gently as possible, Ted answered, "I don't see that happening, Michael."

 

"I don't see why not. He's lasted longer than anyone expected. I don't see the fascination - at all," Michael answered, groaning in annoyance as he found the object of Brian's obsession walking toward the bar.

 

Brian's eyes instantly found Justin, as always his senses immediately alerting him to his lover's arrival. When Justin reached his side, Brian curled a hand behind his neck, pulling him forward for a deep and carnal kiss, both of them instantly becoming oblivious to everyone around them. Brian nibbled on Justin's tongue, pulling it deep into his mouth, evoking a need in the blond as he hummed softly into his mouth. Pulling back to whisper, "It's about time you arrived."

 

"Oh? Did you miss me, Mr. Kinney?" Justin purred, his eyes falling helplessly into Brian's, ignoring Ted's mocking glance... along with Michael's gasp of irritation.

 

Brian kissed him again, deeply and intently; his tongue plowing every inch inside of Justin's mouth, his teeth nipping at Justin's tongue - making certain to keep his fangs well in check. "My cock most certainly missed you."

 

Justin clasped his hand against his heart, bemoaning tragically, "So callous. Who will mend my broken heart?"

 

A voice whispered behind them, one that had Brian's eyes instantly alighting in savage fury. "I'd be glad to, beautiful. How would you like to come back with me to my club... and I will show you things he could never show you."

 

Brian's hands closed into fists as he utilized every ounce of control to restrain from extracting his fangs to rip out the jugular of this offensive predator. One that dared to seek out what belonged to him in his domain. Brian swiftly moved to push Justin behind him, inwardly relieved Justin didn't decide to display any rebellion by an ill-timed resistance. Such a move could provoke disastrous results. Softly and succinctly, he hissed, "Brandon, you have until the count of five to remove yourself from my club. Fail to do so... and believe me - you won't like the consequences. 5 - 4 - 3..."

 

TBC