- Text Size +

 

Tragedy to Triumph

Prologue

(Chapter 1 below)


The Taylor-Kinney household continued to flourish.  Gus decided to change his name so as soon as he was 18 he officially became Gus Kinney. His mama still wasn’t happy with his choices and by that point he wasn’t happy with her. He dated Mel for the remainder of the school year but when May came around and Gus graduated early he was off to Martha’s Vineyard.  George taught him so much and a pleasant surprise was George’s daughter. Marley.  She was a pretty, young woman and had the same open, pleasant personality as her father. The first summer they became best friends but over the next few summers, the friendship bloomed and by the time Gus finished culinary school George had a business proposal and Gus had a proposal of his own planned.  He asked Marley to marry him and she accepted.  George’s proposal was to help Gus and JR open a bakery as long as Gus would overnight desserts to the Island several times a week.  By the time they were 23 the bakery was a success.

JR had also found the love of his life.  Trevor was smart and handsome and only had eyes for JR.  They had actually met at a Kinnetik and Company event.  Trevor worked in Justin’s department and was a very talented artist.  It was love at first sight and within two months they had moved in together.

JR and Raymond continued to live with Ted and Victor. They were still close with their mom but when she had finished school she had been offered an amazing job and it was agreed by everyone that it was best for the boys to stay with a very willing Ted and Victor.

Aiden and Raymond were still friends but as they grew older they grew apart.  Brian and Justin had decided it was best for Aiden to go to a private school.  He would always be smaller than most boys his age and just couldn’t participate in many school activities.  He was accepted into a prestigious academy that focused on academics and Aiden thrived. 

Cass had moved out as planned and in the spring, when she finished grad school she moved away and married her boyfriend.  All of them missed her but they knew it would happen sooner or later and they wanted her to be happy.

Jennifer and Joe loved married life and both had retired shortly after so they could travel and be free to help with the grandchildren. One of them would help with Aiden most days after school. Molly’s pregnancy was textbook and she gave birth to a precious baby boy who they named Spencer Jr. after his daddy.

Kinnetik and Company had reopened after the first of the year and business multiplied. Soon the new building was filled to capacity and they were turning business away. The combination of Brian and Justin’s skills in one company gave them many services other agencies didn’t have. 


As time went on Brian and Justin would talk to Cass a couple times a year.  One time she ended up on their doorstep.  She had a black eye and bruises on her arms.  Her husband had blamed her for the miscarriage she had.  But when he came back, pleading for forgiveness, stating he had just been distraught over the loss of their baby girl, Cass left with him but not before Brian and Justin had talked to her, letting her know she could always come back if she decided to leave him.  She thanked them but assured them she would be fine.

On their fourth wedding anniversary Marley gave birth to their daughter.  Fiona had a mop of dark wavy hair just like her daddy and big blue eyes that stole her grandfathers’ hearts instantly as well as her Uncle Aiden’s. 

By the time Fiona was born Aiden was 16 and spent as much time with his brother and sister in law as he could. He could spend hours holding his niece.  He had decided to go into pediatrics like his Uncle Victor. He had started taking some general college courses online and would go to campus when his courses required it.  


In one evening everything changed.  Marley and Fiona had stopped by the bakery so her daddy could have some snuggle time and Marley could eat her favorite pastry.  It was about 4:00 when Gus locked Fiona into her carseat and then took Marley into his arms and kissed her. “I should be home by 6:00 at the latest.  JR is closing up today.”

“Hey, Gus,” JR called from the door of the restaurant. “That salesman is on the phone.” 

“I gotta go.” Gus turned and moved toward the door.

“I love you, Gus” She called back as Gus entered the bakery”

Gus took care of the salesman on the phone and did a little more work in the office. It was about 5:15 when JR walked into Gus’ office and a man he had never seen before followed him in. “Gus,” JR walked around his desk and put a hand on his shoulder as the gentleman took out a wallet and showed them his badge.

“What is this, JR? I need to get moving. I promised Marley I would…” his voice trailed off when he looked at the police officer’s face. “JR?”

“Mr. Kinney, I’m afraid there was an accident. A car ran a red light and hit your wife’s car. I am sorry to tell you that your wife…”

“No, don’t say it.  Marley was just here. I kissed her goodbye.  I put my daughter...OH GOD, Fiona.  Which hospital are they in? I need to go see them.”

“Sir, your wife has passed away but your daughter was taken to the Children’s Hospital. I can take you there if you would like me to.”

Gus stood up and JR hugged him.  “I will have your dads meet you there.  I will be there as soon as I can get this place closed up.”

Gus followed the policeman out the door in a total daze. Gus Kinney’s life had just changed forever.

 

Chapter 2


The memorial was not large. Besides family, the employee’s of the bakery attended as well as a few of the regulars who remembered when Marley worked at the bakery before Fiona had been born.  Victor had arranged for a nurse friend of his to stay with Fiona during the service.  She would be part of the gathering at the bakery afterward.

Brian and Justin had on charcoal gray suits with white button downs and blue ties because Marley had given them as Christmas gifts.  George wore all black. Aiden didn’t really have a suit but he had on black trousers, a light blue shirt and he borrowed a deep blue tie from his dads. They were a stunning looking group.  

Gus had JR and Trevor go to his house and they brought back the two suits Gus owned.  One was black and the other was a blue sharkskin suit with a patterned tie.  Gus knew the black was more traditional but he thought back to the day they went shopping for it. Marley had always said Gus should have a shiny blue suit.  They searched several stores before Marley pulled this suit off the rack. There was no arguing with her.  They left after having the suit marked for tailoring. Once it was finished, she insisted they go out for a night of dancing. He could still picture her in the deep midnight blue dress.  It fit her like a second skin and it was because  of that dress that Gus realized Marley was pregnant.

Brian walked in to see if he was ready and found Gus bent over on the edge of the bed. “Gus, are you ready?”

“Ya, Dad. I was just thinking about the night I found out about Fi.  I was wearing this suit and Marley was…”

“Marley was wearing that stunning blue dress that looks like liquid.” Brian finished. 

“Do you think it is Ok for me to wear this? It isn’t black.”

“Gus, this is perfect.  She loved this suit.  She loved you.” Brian extended his hand to Gus and when Gus took it he pulled him up. “The quicker we go the quicker it is over.” Gus looked at Brian. “Oh, son, I didn’t mean it that way. I just meant then…”

“Dad, I know what you mean. It will never be over and we will need to find a new normal.  I don’t know how long it will take or what it will look like but we will find it. Fiona deserves that.”

“Gus, so do you.” With that Brian hugged him tightly and Gus hugged him right back. Then father and son walked down the stairs and, along with the rest, walked out the door.


The nurse met them at the small chapel. Gus insisted on having her in the same building. Aiden took Fi to the nursery and then returned just in time to walk into the church. When the doors opened the seats were filled with friends and family. Gus and George walked in first followed by Brian and Justin with Aiden right behind them. George sat next to the aisle and Gus sat next to him.  Then Brian sat next to him with Justin and Aiden filling in the pew. Joe and Jenn, along with Molly, Spencer, and their kids.  Nine year old Sam sat between his mom and dad while 16 year old Tasha sat by her grandmother with her head on Jenn’s shoulder. Lindsay, Luke, and Mel sat in the front row on the other side with Victor, Ted and their family sitting behind them.

Victor was leading the service. After talking about Gus for several minutes and then JR spoke . “I have been Gus’ best friend since we were 15. Gus has always been there for me and when he met Marley, they both were.  They were made for each other. So when we all opened the bakery Marley said it was my turn to find the love of my life and a week later she introduced me to Trev. Marley wore her heart on her sleeve.” JR had to drop his head and Trevor came up and put an arm around him.  Then JR lifted his head, he softly said, “Gus, buddy, I hope you don’t mind, but I think she might be the only woman I have ever loved.” He smiled wistfully.  “You know Trev and I will always be here for you and Fi. We love you.”

Brian got up next. “I remember the first time we went to Martha’s Vineyard. We had just found out that Aiden was ours free and clear and after getting there, Gus found his future.  He was going to culinary school and a famous chef became his mentor and then his father in law.  The first time I saw them together I knew. It was like they had been born to love each other. And Fiona, our beautiful Fiona, is the result of that love. Gus, you know we will always love and miss Marley. She will always be in our hearts.” Brian sat down and he and Gus hugged.

Victor got back up and looked at Gus.  Gus had said he wouldn’t talk but they made eye contact and Gus got up and moved forward. “I didn’t plan to do this today but as I got ready I thought about something I wanted to share with you. I want to tell you about this suit.” He went on to tell them about the shopping trip and finding this suit.  And then he told them about Marley’s dress. “Every man in the place could only look at her that night. Marley was always beautiful but that night she was ethereal. After I realized we were going to be parents, I lifted her off her feet and twirled her around a few times. And then she looked down at me and she said,” Gus swallowed hard. “The most beautiful woman in the world kissed me and said, ‘Gus Kinney, once we have our baby, I won’t need another thing from this world.’ Well, baby, this world needed a lot more of you.  I love you, Martha Lee, and I will never let our daughter forget you.” Gus took a step but then he just couldn’t go another step.  

Aiden stood and walked over to his brother. “Let’s go find Fiona, Bro.  I am sure she needs her daddy by now.” Aiden put his arm around Gus and they walked down the aisle and out of the chapel with the rest of the family behind them.


Thirty minutes later everyone was at the bakery. Gus had arrived and entered through the back door. He took Fiona to his office and gave her a snack. JR knocked and stuck his head in.  “Is it alright if I come in?”

“Sure.” Fiona smiled up at her buddy and JR took her off Gus’ lap. Gus continued, “You know my wife loved you, too. Good thing you didn’t swing that way or I would have had to fight you for her. Are there a lot of people out there?”

“Just your family and mine and a few other people. The staff is working on getting food out now.”

“JR, do you mind taking her out with you and I will be there in a couple minutes.” 

JR moved around the desk and as he took Fi he kissed Gus. He didn’t say anything but they didn’t need to. They loved each other. They both knew it and nothing else had to be said.

Gus laid his head down on the desk, closing his eyes. “Oh, Marley, what do I do now? I don’t seem to remember how to live.” Somewhere from deep in his heart he heard her voice, ‘Gus, you have enough love in your family to keep going and when the time is right, find Fiona a new mommy to love.’ Gus’ head snapped up and he looked around. He was sure he heard her voice, felt her next to him. If he believed in ghosts he was sure she had been in his office just then. “I love you, darling.” Gus stood and went to the bathroom splashing water on his face. And then he went out to greet his friends. 

If  a memorial could be nice. This one was. Everyone there loved Gus and Gus loved them. There was laughter and tears. There pastries from the bakery and before it all ended, George, Gus, and JR went to the kitchen and started cranking out deluxe hot sandwiches. They whipped up sauces and combinations no one could imagine but everyone loved and then it happened. Gus laughed.  JR had said something that cracked him up but the moment he realized it, he looked at George and rushed to his office.  

Justin had seen what happened and started toward Gus’ office but George stopped him, “May I?” Justin hugged the man and walked back into the group of friends.

George walked into the office and found Gus leaning on the sink in front of the mirror. He glanced into it and saw George standing behind him. “I am so sorry.  I can’t believe I just laughed at his fucking comment and Marley is…”

“She is doing that funny little dance she did when she was bubbling with happiness.  Gus, my daughter loved you and one of the things she loved most was your fun loving spirit.  She doesn’t want you to be sullen.  You love her. You always will but she will want you to move on.  She will want you to laugh with Fiona as much as you laughed with her and, yes, Gus, eventually she will want you to love again. You will find that someone special and that is exactly what she wants. You need to laugh and you can’t feel guilty that you are still here.” George put his hands on Gus’ shoulders. “From my experience, there will always be days that it sneaks up on you. Let yourself mourn and move on when you’re ready.”

Gus turned, “Thanks, George.  I am going to miss you when you leave.” George pulled him close.

“Well, expect to come for a visit. I need to see Fi’s little arms around me soon. Now, we have hungry people out there. JR can’t deal with it all.”


Turns out JR, with a little help from Trev, managed to finish lunch. There were a couple sandwiches waiting for them. Justin walked over and hugged Gus, softly saying, “Love you.”

“Love you, too, Dad.  Don’t worry.  I’m good, for now anyway.” Justin and Gus walked over to Molly and Spencer’s table.  Aiden, Tasha, and Sam were sitting nearby.  Gus glanced around the room and found Fiona in the arms of Jenn so he relaxed a bit. They chatted about ordinary things, normal life and Gus began to relax. 

The group thinned out.  People had lives to continue Gus realized and so did he.