- Text Size +

Chapter 13


“God, Justin, answer me!” He grabbed his phone and once his fingers wrapped around it, he found the flashlight and turned it on.  Justin’s hand wasn’t the only thing bleeding. As Brian moved the phone upward he saw Justin’s hair was no longer golden but instead crimson. “

Brian tried to call for help but his phone didn’t work.  He threw another log on the fire to get more light and rushed to the kitchen to get some towels. He tripped over something on his way back and his knee smashed into the floor, “Fuck!” He got back onto his feet and limped the rest of the way over. “Justin, hey wake up, sweetheart.” Brian gently wiped the blood away to see what was causing it.  Although the head looked the worst, he wrapped his arm from wrist to elbow.  It was bleeding a lot and Brian put pressure on it to try to staunch the flow.   Justin groaned and attempted to move his hand out of Brian’s grip. “Justin, lay still. You’re hurt.” Brian leaned down and kissed him ever so gently on the lips. 

“What happened?” he asked groggily. 

“Lightning hit the patio and the windows blew out.  It looks like the window frame hit you along with some of the glass. What else hurts?”

“Everything but not badly. You’re squeezing hard.”

“Let’s put your arm up.  We need to stop this bleeding.  Phones are out so I can’t call for help. Hopefully someone down below saw what happened.” Justin didn’t respond and seemed to be out again. “DAMN!” Brian tried his phone again but still nothing.  He tried to stand and his knee screamed in pain but he managed to get up and then managed to carry Justin out of the room and around the corner where the rain wasn’t hitting them and there was no glass.  Once settled on a sofa Brian changed the towel wrapped around Justin’s wrist and noticed the blood was beginning to clot. He wrapped it tightly again and now got another damp towel and tried to clean off Justin’s head. He could see that would need stitches but it had slowed to just a trickle.  Brian taped some gauze on it from the first aid kit in the kitchen. Brian made sure Justin was covered.  He felt so helpless.  He tried to think of a way to get someone’s attention. He didn’t like Justin being unconscious. He checked his pulse and it seemed strong.  Brian slipped behind Justin, feeling his swollen knee starting to give out. It wasn’t long before Brian was sleeping, too.


“Mr. Kinney, Mr. Taylor are you alright?” The manager of the property was standing above them.  “I got here as soon as I could.  The road is damaged, too.”  The sun was barely up but Brian could see his image. 

“Justin was injured. Damn, I didn’t mean to fall asleep like that. Babe, wake up.  Please wake up.”

“Fuck, my head hurts,” Justin mumbled.

“I expect an ambulance soon,” the manager said.  “I didn’t know what to expect.” As he spoke, Brian slipped out from behind Justin and pulled the blanket away, praying there wasn’t a puddle of blood under it. Brian realized his knee hurt worse this morning than last night.

“What happened?” Justin asked as he tried to sit up.

“Take it slow,” Brian assisted Justin as he sat up. “The place was struck by lightning.  You got hit by the window.

“What happened to you?” Justin kissed Brian’s cheek.

“I am just a clutz and fell on my knee.”

“I hear the ambulance.  I will direct them in.”

“Justin, how do you feel?” Brian gently undid the wrap on his arm. “You are going to need stitches but at least the bleeding stopped.”

“That is really deep isn’t it.”

“I think so,” Brian kissed him softly. “You scared the hell out of me.”

“I’ll be fine although,” Justin attempted to move his hand, “I’m not sure but I might have severed something.  My wrist isn’t moving normally.”

“Don’t try.  You don’t want to damage anything more.”

The paramedics came in and soon Justin had new bandages on and Brian had his knee wrapped.  With assistance they both moved out of the damaged house to the ambulance. They sat side by side as they progressed slowly down the mountain. Brian held onto Justin.  He began to slowly shake, “What would I have done if you…”

“I’m fine, Brian. You are stuck with me.”


“It’s about time you answered. Is everything Ok? I have been trying to get a hold of you for three days.” Cass wrapped her arms around Gus’ waist when she heard the relief in his voice. “Where have you been?”

Brian and Justin were sitting in a big bed in a hotel room.  “We had a bit of a storm here.  Justin and I are both fine but the doctors said it would be best if we wait a couple days before flying home.  We are both a little worse for wear but we will both be fine.”

“What happened?”

“Can we wait and give you the play by play when we get home?”

“Sure, I’m just so glad we finally got in touch with each other.”

“Love you! How are you feeling, Cass?” Justin asked over the speaker phone.

“I’m eating everything in sight and feeling great!”

They said goodbye and then it was time to call Victor and Ted.  After they finished with the pleasantries, they filled them in on the storm. Justin continued, “Victor, Bri and I are both in need of a surgeon.  Brian’s got a knee injury. According to the doctors here, they say he needs some ligament repair and I need surgery on my wrist.”

Brian continued, “He has lost some of the feeling in his hand.  They said it should be repairable but they don’t have a specialist here.”

“Wow, it sounds like you two have gone through a lot.” Victor said.  “I will contact the hospital over there and have your records sent to me.  Then I can get them to the specialists and set up an appointment for each of you.”

“Thank you, Vic.  We really appreciate it.” Brian said sincerely. “Now we both need to get some sleep.  I am not looking forward to the long flight.”  They said goodbye and Brian and Justin both slid down and went to sleep.           


Two days later Brian and Justin arrived in Pittsburgh on a private plane Vic and Ted had arranged for them. They were there to take them directly to the hospital.  Once they were settled in, Gus and Cass would be called so they could come to see them in their hospital room. 

“Papa! Ganpa!”  Fi called as she ran to the bed the two were sharing.  Justin had slipped into bed with Brian as soon as they both had been poked and prodded. 

“You two don’t move.  I will lift her up.” Gus lifted Fiona up and said to her.  You sit quietly. Your grandpas both have booboos.” Fi carefully kissed both of them and then, getting up on her knees, started talking.  “Papas we having a baby.  It’s in mommy’s tummy but can’t see it.”   

Everyone joined into the conversation.  When Fi slowed down, Gus and Cass got caught up with what happened in the storm. Soon Justin and Brian both started nodding off.  Between the long flight and the pain medication they were on, they couldn’t stay awake. There were hugs and kisses and then Gus and his family left.

 

Brian and Justin both had surgery the next day and were then released  later that day. Gus picked them up and Ted was waiting at the loft.  He had some stew JR had made, warming on the stove.  “Guys, we thought it would be better for you to sleep in Aiden’s room for a couple days.  In a couple days you will be ready to take those couple steps but right now the other room is all set up for you.”

“Thanks, Ted. That is probably a good idea.” Justin leaned against Gus and Ted helped Brian.  They got them in bed and Gus gave them each a kiss before he and Ted left them to rest for a bit.  

“Gus, Victor and I are just going to sleep here at least a couple nights so don’t worry. How is Cass doing?”

“She is doing amazing.  She is getting back to the Cass I knew as a kid.”

“That is great.  I know Tori is ready for a best friend.  I think Fi has already taken over as big sister.”

“By next spring they will all be like siblings. I was going to ask you about the business idea.  Do you really think it is a good idea for JR and me to make the move to the factory? I will miss the customers at the bakery but I would love to have more normal hours, especially with a second baby coming.”

“You and JR along with Trev and Cass will have to talk it over but it looks like a great opportunity.”

“Thanks, Uncle Ted, for everything.” Gus gave his dad’s oldest friend a hug.

“Anything for you, Gus.”  With that Gus left his dads in good hands.

When Gus got home his heart skipped a beat.  Cass, Fiona, and Gerald were all on the sofa, sound asleep. Gerald jumped down and softly yipped.  Gus tapped his leg and opened the back door. Gerald went out and started sniffing around. Gus followed him and started the grill.  It wouldn’t be this pleasant  for long. Thanksgiving was just a few weeks away.  George would be here soon which reminded him they would need to clean out the room.  He looked into the family room where his girls were sleeping.  Cass would have to decide if she was ready to open the box or if they would move it out to the garage.  He also thought George might like the apartment so he had a little privacy, too.  He would ask but Cass still had to face the box. 

Gerald tugged at his pant leg.  When he turned to look in the house, he saw Cass kissing Fi and although he couldn’t hear them, he saw a loving exchange.  Some people never found real love and he had twice. Cass glanced and smiled at Gus and then she pointed so Fi saw him.  Fi jumped off her lap and ran toward the door. Gus opened it and caught her up in his arms, “Hey baby doll, did you have a nice nap with Mommy?”

She nodded. “We sleeping.” Gus carried her into the family room. He walked to Cass and kissed her. “Hey, babe.  I thought we would do some grilled chicken tonight.”

“That sounds good.”

“You alright?” Gus thought she looked a little distant.

“I am great.  I am just very relaxed.”

“How did your appointment go with the therapist?”

“Everything is good.  After someone is in bed I think I am ready.”

“Ready? You mean the box?”

‘It’s time.  I need to get past it before the holidays.That is the past. This is my future.”  

Gus set Fi down and took Cass in his arms.  “I can’t tell you how much I love you and how proud I am of you.” He kissed her and she melted into him.

“I love you, too.  You are my savior.”

“We are here for each other and always will be.”

Gus kissed her again until Fi wrapped her arms around both their legs. “Daddy, Mommy, kisses.” As if on cue, Gerald walked over and licked her face. Cass and Gus had to laugh.

“How about you help Mommy make some vegetables and I will start grilling the chicken?”

“Daddy, when can I see my papas again?”

“I think we will be able to go for a short visit tomorrow.”

“Ok. Mommy can we have tatoes?

“Sure we can.” And dinner preparation began.


Victor walked into Aiden’s room and found Brian and Justin talking softly. “Am I interrupting anything?”

“Come in, Victor,” Justin said. “We were just discussing whether we needed to go to the bathroom now or if we could wait another hour.” 

Victor laughed out loud. “Please let me assist.” He walked over to Justin and helped him balance as he got to his feet.  

“I’m good.  I will go to the bathroom down the hall.  Brian needs more help with his leg out of commission. Justin left the room, holding lightly on the wall as he left.

“Sorry about this, Vic.  I just don’t think I can manage on my own.”

“No problem.  I am not happy you two both needed surgery but I am so thrilled to have you home. And hearing Aiden is doing so well, that boy is going places.”

“While we were there the only place he seemed to go was to bed with someone.” Brian had to laugh.  “I am glad he is coming into his own.” Victor helped him with his crutches so he could get to the bathroom safely. As Brian relieved himself, he asked, “did you talk to Justin’s doctor?  I got the feeling he wasn’t telling us everything.” 

“I am sure she told you all she could.  His surgery was delicate and no one will know for sure until recovery is complete. She said it went well so I believe it.” Victor helped him to the sink and then was surprised when Brian turned and hugged him for a full minute.  “I haven’t been that scared since Aiden was lost. I couldn’t get the bleeding to stop and I couldn’t call anyone. What would I do if…”

“Brian, my friend, you did what you needed to do.  His scalp is healing quickly and his hand is on its way to getting better. And Brian, we are here for you.” Victor kissed both of his cheeks and then helped him out to the main room where Ted had dinner on the table.


“Is she down?” Cass asked as Gus walked into the spare room.

“Yes, she was tired. Having Gerald helps tire her out and she is so happy.”

Gus walked over and sat down next to her in the small loveseat in the room. Cass had the box sitting right in front of her.  “You know she is happy because you are here, too.”

“Gus, if it wasn’t for you leaving with her I don’t know if I would have snapped out of it or not. I was too self involved to realize it.” She leaned forward and moved the box a little closer.

“What do you want me to do, Cass?”

“Just be here, Gus. If I want you to do something, I’ll ask.” Gus put his arm around her waist as she ran her finger around the box getting the tape loose around the edges and then with one tug, it was off.  “It smells really musty.”

“Do you have any idea what might be in there? It isn’t heavy.”

Cass reached in and the first thing she pulled out was a stuffed dog. “Rufus.” She said under her breath and buried her face in him.

“Was he special?” tightening his arm around her.

“He was.  I thought I was too old to hang on to him but my parents seemed to be gone so much so, even though I was 13, I always had him close.  He really doesn’t smell very good.” She smiled a little bit.

“We will get him freshened up.” Gus took the worn dog and she went to reach for something else. Next she pulled out a stack of papers clipped together. She realized it was school artwork and report cards. She had no idea her mother had saved them. “Cass, I know you told me that when you were about fourteen your mom just left and the day of your high school graduation…”

“My dad handed me this box and a key for an apartment close to the college and he left.  He had paid for the apartment for one year, and I never heard from him again.”

Gus kissed her, “And you never heard from either of them or any other family?”

“My parents always said they were alone in the world.”

“Did they have a good relationship?”

Cass laid the school papers to the side and pulled out a large manilla envelope. She laid her head on his shoulder. “They really did.  After mom left, he didn’t seem angry, he seemed sad.” Gus kissed her again.  He could feel waves of emotion rolling off of her.

Cass carefully opened the large envelope. She pulled out another stack of papers but this time it was photos.  There were family photos of the three of them. “Oh, Gus, wasn’t my mother beautiful.  And I never realized how handsome my dad was.”

Tears began to run down her cheeks and Gus held her tightly.  “It shows me how you got so beautiful.”

“Why did they leave me, Gus? It is all so confusing. I really felt loved.  Dad wasn’t ready to raise a daughter on his own.”

“Oh, sweetheart, I am sure you didn’t do anything. You were a child.” He tilted her head so he could see her eyes, “We don’t have to do all of this tonight.”

“I want to go through the box but I think I will look at these later.”

“That’s a good idea.  We can look at these with a bottle of wine later and you can tell me all about them.”

Cass was nearing the bottom of the box and, besides a few small items she remembered from childhood, there were three envelopes in the bottom. She pulled them out.  Each one had a date on it. The oldest one was dated about the time of her mother’s disappearance. She opened it up and at first glance she couldn’t be sure but she thought it was her mother’s handwriting.  It said,

‘My sweet Cassandra, I am not sure I am handling this correctly but I just can’t face you. The last thing I want to do is leave you but I am sick, honey, and I don’t want you to see me fall apart. I have brain cancer and it won’t be long before I won’t remember you or your dad.

I asked your dad to give you this once I was gone.  He will need you to hold him together.  I love both of you so much but he was never strong.  Just remember your dad loves you and he is doing his best.

Darling, Cass, I wish I could tell you you would have a perfect life but I can’t. I pray that you find a person that loves you half as much as your father loves me. 

I love you, and I always will. 

Mom’

Gus cradled her rocking gently as she cried. It was several minutes before she regained her composure. “Why didn’t he tell me, Gus? She obviously meant for me to have this after she passed away.” She jerked away a bit and looked at him.  “Where did she die? How do I know she really did die?”

“Maybe one of those other envelopes will tell you something.”

Cass picked up the next dated envelope.  This envelope had a law firm listed on it.  Inside she found her answer. There was a death certificate in this one and a will.  It told her that her mother had died three months after she left and the will had been rewritten saying she would inherit anything her father owned upon her 18th birthday. There were more details about the inheritance including some property and the name of the bank.

“This sounds like my dad thought he would be dead by the time I turned 18. He left before that.  Gus, what if he…” Cass was starting to hyperventilate.

“Ok, love, we are done for the night.  This is enough.”

She took a deep breath, “No, I need to see this last envelope.” She picked it up and handed it to Gus.  “Can you read it for me, Gus? I need to know.”

Gus opened the envelope. 

‘My little Cassandra,

You are not so little anymore.  You are about to graduate and I couldn’t be prouder of you.  I know I didn’t do this right but once she was gone, I didn’t want to live.  I’m sorry I am leaving you alone but I can’t live without her anymore.’

The note went on to list the cemetery they would both be buried in as he was ending his life.

“Why would he do that? Why didn’t he talk to me? I….”

Gus lifted Cass up and carried Cass out of the room managing to turn the light off as he did so.  He laid her on the bed and laid next to her pulling a blanket over them before pulling her close. “Cass, he was a heartbroken man.  I can understand.  If I hadn’t had my family I don’t think I would have made it. That doesn’t make it right.”

“He didn’t tell me she was dying!  She was my mother. How could he…”

“Shhh, calm down, Cassie.  This isn’t good for the baby or you.” He continued to rock her back and forth gently and soon, she fell into an exhaustive sleep.

When Gus woke up early the next morning, the sun was just peeking over the horizon and Cass was gone.  He pulled on a robe and put slippers on to protect his feet from the cold floor and walked toward the end bedroom.  He knew he would find her there. As he opened the door, he found Cass sitting on the floor in the middle of the room.  She had pictures laying all around her and she had a little smile on her lips.  Gus walked in and sat in the loveseat behind her, gently touching her shoulders and pulling her against his legs so she had a way to rest her back. 

“I remember this day.  It was my eighth birthday and Dad came home with a new bike for me. You can see it in the background and mom made my birthday cake. She wasn’t the best baker but she used a mix and a can of frosting but she made it with love. I had buried…” her voice trembled. “I had convinced myself that Mom hadn’t loved me and had just left me.” 

Gus wrapped his arms around her from behind, bringing his mouth close to her ear. “She loved you. If only your father could have sorted out what was best differently. How long have you been up?”

“A couple hours. I reread the letters and I don’t agree with what my dad did, or my mom for that matter, but I think I understand it a little better.  If only I would have been able to see how it had affected him.”

“Cass, you were young.  You couldn’t have known how he felt and you didn’t even know your mother had died.”

“Gus, after our baby is here, I want to go back to school.  I want to help others like me who have had to struggle in their lives.”

“I think that would be great. You would be an amazing counselor.” He kissed her cheek. “If you want to start courses, I am sure we could find something to start with online.”

“I’ll do a little looking but I will wait until next fall for sure. I meant to ask, I know you and JR have been talking about making some changes at the bakery.”

“I haven’t been hiding anything,” Gus hoped she didn’t feel that way.

“I know, love. I didn’t mean it that way. Are you going to go to mass production?”

“I want normal hours.  I don’t want to miss mornings with you and the kids.  I know I will miss the bakery and the customers but you are the most important thing.  Uncle Ted put his financial seal of approval on it.  He say all of us will  make out well.  We will keep a percentage made at the bakery and will continue to own it. We will also own the mass production bakery and, sure there will be an emergency now and then, but that is normal for any business owner.”

Gus helped Cass to her feet. “Gus, I need to find my parents.  Do you think Jenn might like to watch Fiona for a couple hours?”

“I will check with her and if she is busy, I am sure JR and Trev will take her for a couple hours. Why don’t you go start the shower and I will join you in a few minutes. I’m just going to text Grandma. Maybe we can have them for dinner.  I can make something.  It has been a while since we have had them over.” He kissed her, “I am so sorry this is how this is closing.”

“If only I had opened the box earlier.”

“Don’t go there. You can only ‘if only’ forever but it won’t change anything.” He kissed her again, long and probing.  “Go start that shower.”

“Ummm, don’t be long.” Cass purred, feeling her need for him deep in her stomach. 

She didn’t have to worry.  Gus quickly texted Grandma Jenn and then lost his clothes as he walked into the bathroom and then joined Cass in the shower stall.  He loved the shape of her expanding body. For a split second he pictured Martha in the small shower they had in their first home and how, by the ninth month, he could no longer fit in with her.  With the massive stall his dads had put in, that would never be an issue now. He stepped into the warm stream as Cass reached out and stroked Gus’ bare ass. As their mouths met she pulled him closer. His hand roamed all over her curves. Her ass and hips were expanding and when he took a half step back, he turned her around and as she leaned against him he caressed her breasts and stomach.

“I love the feel of you. I can’t imagine what it is like to have a living being growing inside, our living being.” Gus helped her wash her hair and back and soon they were both dressed.  Gus picked up his phone and saw a message from his grandmother. “Grandma is on her way to hang out with my dads.  She said we should drop Fiona off there.  That way Fi will have time with her grandpas and her great grandma. We shouldn’t be gone more than a couple hours so then we can pick her up again on our way home.”

“Daddy, Mommy you in there?”

“We are, baby doll.” Gus walked over and opened the door. “Breakfast, please.”

“Hey, Fiona.  Why don’t you go potty and then we can get you dressed while daddy makes us all French toast. The baby thinks French toast is perfect for breakfast today.”

“You got it,” Gus said as he kissed both of them before moving downstairs.


Gus and Cass dropped Fi off at Brian and Justin’s flat.  Joe met them at the door.  “Hey, cutie pie.  I have missed you.” 

“Hi Joe.” Fi hugged him tightly.

“Tell my dads and Grandma that we will be here for lunch.  If they want me to pick up lunch just message me.  I could stop by the bakery and pick up some lunch specials.”

“I’ll let you know. I think Jenn has lunch planned.”  Joe looked at Fi, “Say goodbye to your dad and Cass.”

“She’s mommy.”

“You are right, Fi.  She is your mommy,” he kissed her cheek and carried her into the building.

Gus reached over and took Cass’ hand.  “Let’s go find your parents and pay our respects,” Gus said as he pulled out onto the street.


“Look who came to visit.” Joe carried Fi into the loft and over to the sofa where her papas were sitting. “Remember, sweetie, you need to be careful with your papas.”

“I know,” she said and walked over carefully climbing onto the sofa between them. She got on her knees and hugged and kissed both of them.  She then jumped off the sofa, picked up a book and climbed up again.  She sat down and said, “I read you a book.” and before either of them could say a word, she started making up a story. 

Brian and Justin held hands as the story went go on and on. They both smiled when she said, “The End. I missed you so much, Papas.  Don’t go away for a long time.”

Brian helped her onto his lap making sure she wasn’t near his knee. “Do you want to see pictures of our vacation?”

“Yes, please.”

Justin pulled out his phone and started going through the pictures.  Justin told her about the picture and then there was a picture of Aiden with Leo. “Oh, Uncle Aidie.  Is that his friend?”

“It is.  His name is Leo.”

“I  like him.  He looks nice. I miss Uncle Aidie.”

“He will be here for Christmas.” Justin smiled at his granddaughter.

“But not my birthday?”

Brian laughed, “Do you have a birthday coming up?”

“Ganpa, you know I do. I three next week.”

“No, that can’t be. You are just a baby.”

“I not a baby.  Mommy’s having a baby.”

“Oh, that’s right.  I think we are going to have your party right here.”

“Yeah! Grandma, you coming to the party?”

“I wouldn’t miss it.”

Brian and Justin forgot their uncomfort as they were entertained by their animated granddaughter.


Gus pulled into the cemetery. They didn’t know exactly where the graves were but they had found a lot number he hoped would help.  As he pulled in he noticed a  lawn crew nearby.  “Cassie, wait here.  I will see if one of the guys over there can help us out.  If they work here regularly they might know exactly where the site is.”

“Thanks, Gus.” He could see the nervousness in her eyes.

Gus strode over to the group of men and women.  Cass watched as a woman pointed to an area a little distance away. As she got out of the car she heard Gus thank her and then he jogged over and put an arm around Cass. “Are you ready for this?”

“As ready as I can be.” Cass said as she moved with Gus in the direction the woman had pointed.  “Obviously she knew the site?”

“Yes, she has worked here for years and actually remember when it was just your mother.  She said your father visited often.” 

“Why didn’t he tell me? I would have gone with him.”

“He was probably following your mother’s wishes.”

Cass and Gus moved around a tree and there stood the stone.  The family name was across the top and then it said ‘Loving mother and father of Cassandra, You are the best thing we ever did.”

Gus held her but knew nothing he said would help. She laid her head on his chest and cried.  After several minutes she said, “I thought they ran away from me.  I always felt like they stopped loving me.  I think that’s why I fell for Carl.”

“But, Cass, you knew we loved you.”

“Yes but I screwed that up by falling for you when you were a kid.  I was just lucky your dads didn’t have me arrested.”

“I would never let them do that.  I loved you then and I love you now.  The time just wasn’t right then. It is the perfect time right now.  You know you seem to rescue me when I need rescuing.”

“We rescue each other. I need a minute.” She stood by the stone and then dropped to her knees. “Mama, you could have told me.  I was young but I would have understood.  Daddy, I should have known she would have never left us.  I wish I had known.  I wish I would have opened the box but I was sure  it would just tell me what I did wrong.” I wish Gus and Fi could have met you and you are going to be grandparents.  I am going to have a baby.  I promise to tell them about you.” As tears rolled slowly down her cheeks she said, “I love you both so much.”  

Gus moved in and helped her up. “Let’s go to my dads for lunch and then you can tell us all about them.”

The ride back to the loft was a silent one.  Gus reached for her hand a few times to squeeze it gently but didn’t break the silence she seemed to need. By the time he had parked and walked around to help her out of the car she said, “Thank you, my love.” She put a hand on his cheek and kissed him.  “Let’s go have lunch with family. I could use them.”


The next hour everyone caught up while they ate lunch.  Cass told them some lighthearted stories about her family but didn’t talk about their deaths because Fiona heard everything.  By the time lunch was finished Brian and Justin needed to rest so they made sure they were ‘tucked’ into bed and everyone else left.  Victor and Ted said they would be there by late afternoon and make sure all was well.

As Cass put Fi into the car seat, Gus’ phone rang. He stepped away from the car and answered. “Hello, this is Gus.”

“Mr. Kinney?” a female voice came through the phone.

“Yes. Who am I speaking to?”

“Oh, I’m sorry.   You left a message at my law firm this morning.”

“Yes, I did.  I didn’t expect to hear from anyone this weekend. Are you familiar with the will I mentioned?”

“I am, now.  I was not with the firm back then and once I heard  your message I reviewed our records. May I call you Gus.”

“Sure, can you tell me anything else?”

“Well, the reason your wife was never contacted about the will is that the lawyer who was in charge of the estate, left on vacation and was killed. Since he hadn’t completed the filing of the will it kind of got missed.  By the time another lawyer located the information which was about five years later, they couldn’t find her. Do you think you could come in on Tuesday? I will have everything put together for you, including the bank account.”

“Yes, I am sure we could make that work. Just call on Monday and let us know what time works. Just to prepare Cass, obviously there is some money.  Is there anything else?”

“I believe we have a couple documents she will want to see and the bank account is a little nest egg but you won’t be able to retire on it.”

“We don’t need that but I can think of a couple places she might donate to or put away for the kids’ college funds.” By now Cass had gotten out of the car and looked at him.  “If you can just call this number on Monday we can find a time to meet Tuesday.  I need to go.”

“I’ll see you Tuesday, Gus.  I look forward to meeting both of you.”

As Gus put his phone away, Cass asked, “Is something wrong, Gus?”

“No, there is no problem.” He walked toward the car.  “That was the law office. We are going to meet with someone on Tuesday.”

“What did they say?”

“It is a long story.  Let’s get her home for a nap and I’ll start filling you in as we go.”


By the time Fi was down for her nap with Gerald lying next to her. Cass had heard the whole story by now. “So she didn’t say how much was in the account?”

“No, I am wondering about life insurance and maybe, if your parents owned property, the sale of the property. It might be enough to put into college funds for the kids but I know my dads already have that covered but you could use it for school yourself or you could give it to a shelter.”

“Obviously I will have to see how much it is but maybe I can use it to start my own office once I finish school.”

“Oh, that sounds like something your parents would be so proud of.” He kissed Cass lightly. He started to step away.

“Gus, she will probably be asleep another hour.” Cass took his hand and led him toward their room. “I believe I can think of something to do for the next hour.”


Brian and Justin both improved. By Fiona’s birthday party Brian was walking with a brace but no crutches and had started physical therapy. Justin had gotten most of the bandages off but still had a brace that he would have to wear for quite a while yet. It could be the end of the year before he would get rid of the support but the doctor was very encouraged about him having full use of his hand as long as he let it rest now. He had already used that on Brian a couple times and got a hand job out of it.

JR insisted on making Fi’s cake.  They had decided it would be nice for them to take turns making the kids' birthday cakes. That way the parent wouldn’t have to stress about the cake. If later the kids wanted that changed they could do it but for now this was fun for all of them.

Cass had spent the day at Brian and Justin’s decorating the loft.  Fi spent that time at JR and Trevor’s so it would be a surprise for her later and so she had some time with Tori Grace.  She loved that baby and the more time she spent with her the better she would be with her own new sibling.

The party was a big hit.  Everything was puppies including the creative cake JR made. Everyone they loved was there.  Even Aiden connected with a video call so he could see the decorations and the cake.  He promised his niece he would be home for Christmas and he would have a special present for her then. There was plenty of food and then everyone enjoyed the tasty cake JR made. Ted and Victor had to fight for their own granddaughter from all the other adults wanting a turn.

“So, Cass, I am not asking for detail, but was the lawyer helpful? Did it answer any questions for you?” Jennifer walked over and slipped an arm around her granddaughter’s waist. Cass moved her other hand onto her tummy so she could feel the baby kicking.

“Yes, there was more money than she thought there was. I donated some to the shelter that had helped me a couple times and for now the rest is going to stay where it is and in a year or two, when I finish my degree, I will use it to open a clinic where I will accept anyone, even if they don’t have money. Thanks to Ted’s advice, he says I should be able to set this all up.”

When it was time to go home,  everyone helped clean up the worst of the mess and they had a cleaning service coming in the morning.  Everyone took some leftover cake and food home and then Brian and Justin were left alone.  They had learned to help each other although Brian didn’t take much assistance anymore. They had showered and Brian helped Justin dry off.

“Aren’t you tired of it already?” Justin said softly.

“Tired of what? Touching you? I seem to have enjoyed that for twenty years.”

“You know what I mean.  Your knee is almost completely healed and they tell me I have at least another six weeks or so before I can even start therapy.”

“My darling husband,” Brian tugged the towel off of Justin’s body. “I will never complain if I get to touch you.” His hand slipped behind him and began to massage Justin’s bud, “And when I get to touch you deep inside,” with that Brian’s finger entered him and he began to rub his prostate.  Justin’s cock responded instantly.  “Nothing I have to do for you is a chore. That’s what loving someone is all about. So let’s go to bed so I can make love to you.  Although my knee is better I still can’t screw you standing up.”

 After they made love, they lay in bed, Brian’s head on Justin’s chest, “I never get tired of that.  I never get tired of you.”

“Brian, I love you, too.  And although I am still complaining about my minor inconvenience, we are so fortunate.  Both of our kids are happy.  Our granddaughter is delightful and we will have another baby soon.”

“And the best part of all this? None of this relies on money.  Things aren’t important, our friends and family are.” Brian said as Justin ran his good hand through Brian’s hair.

 

“You are right, Brian. As long as we have each other we don’t need anything else.” Brian pulled the blankets up higher and as they laid next to each other he covered them both.  Life for Brian and Justin may not be perfect but they wouldn’t change any of it.