- Text Size +

Chapter 3


Aiden decided to spend most of his time with Fiona.  He took her for walks and played with her in the meadow next to the house.  He took her to the barn tree fort.   The third night there Aiden and Gus sat in the hot tub after Fiona had gone to sleep.  Brian and Justin were in the house in case she woke up. They both sat resting their heads on the rim of the tub looking at the stars above.

“Damn, it’s like you can touch them.  I know I say this everytime we are here but it is true.” Gus said, looking over the whole sky..

“It is stunning.  I can’t believe that in three months I will be seeing these stars in France.”

“I’m going to miss you. I mean, you are my best babysitter.”

“That’s why I am trying to spend as much time with her as I can. I am going to miss out on so much.  You’re going to come visit sometime are you? I mean I can use her as a chick magnet, right?”

“That’s a dog, Aid. Babies are usually considered baggage.”

“No real woman could look at Fi and think of her as baggage.”

“I know there are a lot of women out there that will accept her.  Maybe you will find a beautiful French woman and introduce us.”

“No one who  looks like me could ever convince a woman that he has a brother that looks like you.”

“Are you worried about not finding someone?”

“Not really.  Other than Ray I have never really had a close friend and even Ray, as we got older, moved away a bit.  I just don’t fit in with the normal teenager but eventually we will all balance out.  I’m in no rush.  I won’t ever have children of my own anyway so maybe I’ll look for a woman who has kids.”

“I never really thought about that. You have had a pretty good life, even with your health issues.”

“Yes, but I have a mild case compared to many and we can’t tell how severe a case would be of my child.  We can adopt.  I’m fine with that.”

“Aiden, the right woman will know what an amazing husband you will be.”

“If it is to be, it will be.” 

“My philosophical little brother. You know you don’t have to spend all your time with Fi.”

“I know but I want her to remember me.”

“I will make sure she remembers you.” Aid hugged  Gus. 

“I love you, bro.”

“I love you, too, Aiden. How about tomorrow, if you are feeling good, we hike up to the treehouse. We’ll take a lunch and I can carry that. We could ride that old roller coaster car back down and our dads and Fiona can pick us up later in the afternoon.”

“I would love that. You don’t think that wolf…”

“No, I don’t think they live that long.  It has been over 10 years.”

“I know. I just fantasized about him for so long. I almost wonder sometimes if he was real but we all saw him that last day, didn’t we?” Aiden continued, “Gus, what does it feel like?”

“What does what feel like?

“Having sex.”

“Well, Aiden, there is a big difference between having sex and making love. Sex is great and makes your body sing but making love, well that makes your heart sing and every nerve in your body tingles. It is a connection of not just the body but the soul.”

“You two were so perfect. And you enjoyed just playing around in bed?

“Yes, we did. Damn my cock just reacted. That doesn’t happen as much as it did when I was young.  I almost wondered if it still worked. Not that I have any use for it but to pee, my cock is as shrivelled as a prune.”

“And about the same size if I remember right.” Aiden splash water at him as he rushed out of the hot tub.

“Oh, I’ll remember that.” Gus laughed.  “Help me get this cover back on.” As they did far off they heard a wolf.

“I know I need to be careful when it comes to wolves but they never scare me, when I hear them.”

“I know what you mean. Let’s get inside.  It is cold out here.”

“Another excuse for that small dick?” Aiden said as they both rushed inside. 

Aiden and Gus laughed as they walked into the cabin. “Sounds like you had fun.”

“We were just talking about Gus’ shriveled dick.” Aiden laughed.

“If it is, it must be a lack of use.” Gus commented.

Brian and Justin smiled.  Their boys, although distant in age, had always been so close.

Aiden rushed upstairs before he felt too cold but Gus threw a towel on the chair and sat down after grabbing a glass of bourbon.  “Do you think you could watch Fi tomorrow? Aiden and I plan to hike to the treehouse.

“Are you sure you are both up to that? I mean the altitude and … I am not sure Aiden should do that.  Instead why don’t you drive over like we did when you were kids.”

“I think I can take a hike. It is only about seven miles.” Aiden said as he entered the living room.  He had wrapped a robe around him.

“It’s not the distance, it’s the terrain.” Justin said moving closer to Brian so there was room for Aiden next to him. Aiden sat down, “Aiden, it is just a really hard trail and you don’t have that long before you will need to leave for France.”

“You know, Aiden, if we drive and take the short hike we will have more time to watch eagles and drink a beer or two.”

“Well, as you know, I can’t drink, not just because of my age.  It would screw up my meds and my blood but ya, that does sound like a fun day without dying from tired muscles the next day.”

“And we can sleep in a little while.” Gus stopped.  “Ok, I can sleep until Fi gets up. I love that little girl so much.  Am I wrong to be thinking about my own physical needs?”

“Gus, you were raised in our house.  Without fulfilling our physical needs we would have been a mess. You would have seen us both crumble.  We understand why you need someone to share everything with,” Justin said while Brian pulled him closer.

“I am sure when you were young you thought it was gross we always wanted each other but we knew that if we didn’t love each other we couldn’t give you all the love you needed.  Our strength has always come from each other and when you had your issues because of your moms,” Brian nodded to Gus, “and you would get sick again,” he looked at Aiden, “we needed the physical contact to regain all the strength we needed.” Brian turned and kissed Justin, now gray streaked hair. Justin turned and putting a hand on his cheek kissed him slowly and sensually. 

Gus stood and reached for Aiden’s hand, pulling him up off the sofa. “They are going to need all the strength they can get if they have Fi most of the day tomorrow,” Gus said with a grin as the two men went upstairs.  Justin stood and extended his hand to Brian, “Let’s go build up some strength.”


Gus, Aiden, and Fiona were all in the kitchen by the time Brian and Justin wandered into the kitchen.  “I know you just took a shower but you two have obviously had a wonderful night.” Gus said as he put bacon and eggs on two plates.  He tossed toast on each plate and there was butter and jam on the table already.  

“Papa and ganpa, gonna eat breakfass?” Fiona said, directing the question to both of them.

“Are you going to play with me and papa, today?” Brian asked.

“Aidie and Daddy going bye bye?”

“Is that Ok, baby doll?”

“Bye bye, Daddy. Bye bye Aidie.”

“Well, don’t be so eager, dolly. I need to finish our picnic lunch first.”

“Are your phones fully charged?” Justin asked as he ate the light fluffy eggs.

“Yes, Dad, and before you ask, I have extra medicine along. Are you sure you are Ok without a vehicle? We could take the four wheeler.”

“We’ll be fine.  You two have a great time.”

“And Gus, don’t worry about cleaning up.  I have all morning and Fi and I will make dinner.”

“Papa, I help?”

“Of course you are going to help. Your grandpa isn’t good in the kitchen.”

Brian walked up behind Justin and kissed his neck.  “I’m good in any room,” he whispered.

“Ok, Aid, let’s go.  Don’t scar my child for life.” Gus kissed Fiona and both waved as they left the cabin.


After a fifteen minute car ride they pulled into the drive.  “I barely remember staying at this cabin. Obviously people don’t stay here anymore.” The cabin had partially collapsed. 

“I hope I remember how to get to the treehouse.”

“We just have to follow the path, don’t we?”

“Yes, you can’t remember that.”

“No, but for some reason I just feel this is the way. Did it take us a lot longer to get here when we were kids?”

“Ya, they put a new road in.  When we came here we had to almost wrap around the mountain to get here. You lead the way.”

By the time they got to the treehouse Aiden was glad they hadn’t hiked all the way here. Gus had noticed him slow down as they went and his heart went out to his brother. He just wanted to be a normal man.  At least he was given twice the brain power of anyone he knew.  It was just a hard age, period, and then if you are different…

“What time should we expect the eagles to arrive?” Aiden asked.

“I think mid afternoon so we have time to just chill for a couple hours.  

Since they weren’t sure if there was any furniture in the tree house anymore they had taken a blanket along so at least they had a clean place to set the food but to their surprise, when they got up there, it had been fixed up.  There were a handful of worn, but sturdy, comfortable chairs and a small plastic dining table. They opened the doors out to the deck and pulled the table out there.  They looked over a deep valley and could see for miles. “Damn, it is beautiful here.  I can’t wait until Fiona is big enough to come up here. But I would be too nervous to take her here now.

Aiden sat across from him as they soaked up the warm sun. “Gus, what does it feel like?”

“What does...are we back talking about sex?”

“What can I say? I’m a teenager with no real friends and porn, well, I know that is all staged. You told me how your body responds, but what does it actually feel like. On shows they always make it look like a guy can barely hold on once it slips in.”

Gus laughed out loud.  “Well, when I was your age, that might have been true. Hell, it might be true now, too.  It’s been so long.”

“You didn’t sleep around much, did you? I mean I know about Cass, even though I had no idea at the time. And I don’t know but I am guessing you and Mel?”

“You were always damn observant. There were a couple others but I never got much out of sleeping around and as soon as I committed to Martha.” Gus’ voice trailed off and just as Aiden was going to break the silence, Gus spoke. “It feels like you are sliding into the softest, warmest … remember that fur sleeping blanket thing you had when you were little?”

“Oh, I loved crawling in there after a bath before I had to go to bed.”

“Well, now imagine having someone else slide in there with you, naked of course.” Gus shut his eyes and dropped his head back as he continued to talk.  “Promise, the first time, you’ll make it special.  Don’t crawl in the back of a car.  We were in her apartment. Her roommate was gone for the weekend and we made dinner together.  By the time we sat at the table we were both stoked from all the kissing and touching we had done while we cooked. When we finished our meal we slowly undressed and leaving a trail of clothes,” Gus was in a world of his own now, “we lay on her bed.  We weren’t strangers to each other’s bodies but she slid a drawer open and, talk about nearly losing it, as she placed the condom on my dick, I nearly erupted but I regained a little control and as I moved into her, she grasped me.”

“Women can do that?”

“I don’t know if all of them can but she could. Her muscles gently hugged me and, I didn’t have any doubt before, but that minute, I knew we...we were meant to be.” Gus stood up and walked into the treehouse. “I’ll get the food.” 

Aiden hurt for his brother. He hoped soon someone would come into his life and fill what is missing for both him and Fiona. 

It was about five minutes later that Gus walked back out carrying his back pack lunch.  He put the cloth over the table and brought out a loaf of bread, cheese, ham, and a container of pickles, carrots and dip, and some grapes. The last thing he  pulled out was a container of cookies and brownies. As they ate, Aiden talked about France. He talked about the region he would live in and about Victor’s offer to go with him when he starts. “Uncle Victor is going to get me moved into his family’s apartment that is very near the med school. Then our dads will be able to come over a month or so later.”

“Aid, you are going to do something special. I am so proud of you.” They stood and hugged each other and as they did they felt the air move above them as the first eagle soured in followed by another and then another.  Without a word the walked through the tree house and they sat watching more and more regal birds fly in.


Brian and Justin enjoyed their morning with Fiona. They read to her and fixed puzzles with her.  After lunch, half way through a book Fiona fell asleep on Brian’s lap and when he started to get up she stirred, “Ganpa, stay here.” She wrapped her arms around his neck with her head on his shoulder.

Justin came to check on them and had to smile. “You’re going to miss her the next six weeks.”

“Just me?” Brian asked softly.

“We are going to miss her but it is best for them.  I had an idea.”

“About what?”

“We are going to be traveling. We have this place and the cabin on Martha’s Vineyard. Why don’t we ask Gus if he wants our place.  We could use the loft, after it was renovated, or we could use the apartment unless Gus uses it for a nanny. Fiona is already comfortable there.”

“I like that idea. We can ask him tonight and then start looking for a designer to redo the loft.  It will be so much easier when we are out of town.  I think it might be smart to have the layout  changed enough so we could have two bedrooms.  I am sure when Aiden visits he could stay with Gus but I want him to have a room here.  The area where the office is could be a bedroom for him.  Another bathroom would be nice, too.  Last I heard the business that was using space next to us is closed.  Maybe we could buy an extra 200 or 300 feet.” 

“It is going to be hard to be away from her. I hope he gets back out there soon. If he isn’t ready for a special someone yet, he has to be ready for sex.” Justin knew it was time for him to move on.

Justin laid a blanket on the floor and Brian laid a now soundly sleeping Fi on the floor and Justin covered her with a light blanket. He nearly tackled Brian who was now back on the sofa. “Down, boy. Our granddaughter is three feet from us.”

“You and I both know when she is really asleep, she will be out at least an hour and I want to be extremely frustrated by the time she wakes up.”

“Ooo, now that sounds like a challenge!” Brian’s hand grabbed Justin’s crotch and Justin’s cock instantly got hard and the game was on.

By the time Fiona started to stir, both of them were flushed and in need of private time but that would have to wait until tonight. “Ganpa, I was with you?”  She got up and moved to Justin, “Papa, I have a snack?”

Justin picked her up. “What a great idea, Fi. Let’s change that diaper and then we will get a treat.”

“A cookie?” she looked at Justin with her big brown eyes.

“Give me a kiss and I am sure I can find you a cookie.”  She kissed him and giggled.

“If I give you a kiss can I pick my treat?” Brian’s eyes glinted and he smiled slyly.

“You can have a bedtime snack.” Justin said as he started down the hall and knowing Brian was watching he ran a hand across his own ass and Brian moaned audibly. 


Gus and Aiden watched the eagles until the last one flew away.  Aiden had taken over a hundred pictures and couldn’t wait to download them and make some adjustments. “We better get going.  By now you know they have been playing some sex game all day and are dying for some time alone.”

“Does that bother you?” Aiden asked.

“No, they wouldn’t be our dads if they weren’t thinking about sex.” Gus put the backpack on and they walked back to the ground.

“Gus, this was a great idea.  It might be one of my favorite days ever.” Aiden patted Gus’ shoulder.

“I won’t forget it either, bro. Are we sure we can trust this cart to take us down?”

“I sent the owner an email last night and this morning the response said he had just checked it over for summer use.” 

“Well then, let’s hop in. I am ready to see my girl.” Gus and Aiden rode down to the parking area and then strode to the car. “Are you doing Ok, Aiden? You don’t look so good.”

“Sure, I’m fine.” Aiden dropped into the passenger seat.  But they were barely on the road and Aiden was sound asleep.  When he got to a stop sign he texted Brian. “I don’t think Aiden is feeling well. We will be home in 20 minutes.”

Justin and Fiona were cooking dinner.  Justin had her stirring water in a bowl with a wooden spoon while he stirred a pot of chili on the stove. Softly Brian said, “Gus thinks Aiden isn’t feeling well. They will be home in about 15 minutes.”

“Keep an eye on the chili.  I am going to get his meds ready in case he needs any of it.” 

“Ganpa, try my soup.” Fi said from the table.

Brian smiled and turned toward her, putting his lips to the spoon she held out. “Very good, sweetie.”

“Daddy and Aidie home soon?”

“Yes, Fi, very soon.” Brian lifted her out of her seat and buzzed her neck making her giggle loudly. 

“Ganpa!”

“I love you, Fiona,” Brian said, kissing her cheek.

“Love you, Ganpa.”

Justin wanted to rush out but he held himself back. “Justin, let him come in by himself. We have to show him we have confidence in him.”

A minute later Gus walked in with Aiden right behind him. Aiden looked at Justin and laughed, “Dad, I’m fine.” Aiden walked to Justin and hugged him, seeing his worried look.  “I am fine. I should have known Gus would call you. I was a little lightheaded but I think that was because I had laid down watching the eagles and then took that cart down. Plus we ate so much for lunch.”

“Are you sure?” Justin made him sit and ran his hand through Aiden’s hair, so much like his own.  “If it makes you feel better I will drink one of those smoothie things.”

“Aidie sick?” Fiona wiggled and Brian set her down so she could walk over to her uncle.

“I am not sick, just a little tired.”

“I come up?” She reached upward and Aiden picked her up.  She snuggled against him.  She reached up and touched his forehead and then her own. “You Ok,” she proclaimed.

“You’re right, my little love.” Aiden took a bottle from Justin. 

“Papa, juice for me?” 

Justin kissed her head, “Sure.  I’ll get you some.”

Gus stood there with his hands on his hips, “Looks like there is no love for Daddy.”

“Sorry, Daddy.  Aidie sick.”  She touched his forehead again and everyone laughed.

Gus softly said to Brian, “Is she as perfect as I think she is?”

Brian draped his arm over Gus’ shoulder, “She is perfect.”

“Every day I see more of Marley in her,” for a moment his head dropped on Brian’s shoulder.  “I think I’m going to go shower. Then I get my girl back.”

Brian stirred Justin’s chili once more and then Justin walked over and kissed him.  “Thanks, Bri. Dinner in thirty minutes.”

Aiden kissed his niece. “You stay with your granddads while I shower.”

“Tell Daddy to hurry.”

“Ok, I’ll do that.” Aiden moved up the stairs.  Gus was just coming out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around him. “I have a message for you.”

“Message?”

“Tell Daddy to hurry.”

Gus smiled, “Damn, I love her.”


By the time they had eaten, Aiden had color back in his cheeks. Gus  spent the rest of her evening with Fi.  After he put her down for the night the men sipped wine and talked about the eagles. Aiden downloaded his pictures and started cropping and highlighting some of his shots and Gus and Aiden’s enjoyment of the day still bubbled up. 

When Brian and Justin went down the hall to their room the brothers still sat there talking. Justin was surprised when Brian grabbed him from behind, holding him tightly against him. “This has been one of my favorite vacations ever. The only thing that could have made it perfect was if Marley was here with us.”

Justin turned and put a hand on each of Brian’s cheeks.  “I couldn’t agree more but I have to admit, as much as I love our kids and that bundle of love, I want you to myself. I want to lay on a blanket under the stars and go back to our room and make love with you for hours. And then when we wake up we can make love again.”

“And when we go home we will miss our kids but they both need their independence.” Brian pulled Justin’s shirt off.

“Have I babied Aiden too much? I worry about that a bit.”

“Aiden needed it when he was young.  He was so frail for so long and although he still has health issues, he knows how to deal with it and he will be at a med school that specializes in blood diseases.” As Brian talked he continued to undress Justin and then Justin did the same for Brian before they both fell into bed.

“What does it say about us that after all that talk about love, I am exhausted. That’s why you have babies when you are young.” Justin stretched out against Brian.  “Do you mind if we don’t?”

“As long as you are beside me.”

“I want you in me.”

“My pleasure.” Brian felt the familiar tensing of Justin’s sphincter and then the sigh as Brian entered until his pelvis was against Justin’s ass and they drifted off.


“How is it time for you to go already?” Gus asked as he made breakfast for his family.

“It is time for us to give you some space.” Brian  commented as he bent and kissed Fiona’s curls. He then walked over and got the pot of coffee that had just finished. He poured Justin a cup and then one for himself. “Do you want me to pour your coffee or do you want it when you’re done cooking.”

“Go ahead and pour it.  I am just finishing.” He pulled a pan of caramel cinnamon rolls out of the oven and set the pan in the middle of the table.  “Wait for a couple minutes before digging in.  They will be a mess if you dig in and it might burn…”

“Shit!” Brian’s voice came from behind. Gus chuckled.

“I tried to warn you.” Gus turned around with a bowl of eggs and a platter of sausage. “I figured you could take some of those on the plane with you.”

“Yum,” Aiden bit into the first roll that Brian took out. “Good thing I’m going to live in France.  I know I’ll get good pastry.” 

Justin had broken up some of the roll for Fi and gave her some eggs. Then he sank his teeth into his own roll and as he did he locked eyes with Brian. He shivered remembering the light bite mark he noticed on his ass this morning. Last night they had taken a walk over to Victor and Ted’s and laid some of the chair cushions on the deck and watched the sun go down and then had crazy sex.  They hadn’t made love outside for a long time and they made up for lost time. Both of them had a few aches and pains this morning but every move made them think about the night before.

“I have to admit, I’m a little nervous.  I have never been alone with Fi for more than 24 hours and even that has only happened a couple times. What if…”

Justin took Gus’ hand.  “Son, you will be fine.  You have nothing else to focus on but your baby doll and yourself.” 

“I your baby doll, baby doll.” Fi said, smiling at her daddy.

“You definitely are, my love.” Gus smiled at his doll on the other side of Justin.

When breakfast finished, Brian, Justin and Aiden all went to get their suitcases and brought them to the backdoor. Then each of them had to say goodbye to Gus and Fiona.  Aiden took Gus a few steps away. “Bro, you are the best father and brother in the world. I am going to miss you both when I am in France.”

Gus hugged his little brother. “We will be back a few weeks before you move but, Aid, if you ever need to talk we are only a call away.”

“Thanks, Gus. I will definitely remember that.”  They hugged just as Fiona grabbed Aiden’s leg.

“Aidie, love you.”

“Oh, Fi, I love you, too, you little charmer.”  Aiden picked her up and kissed her and then she kissed his cheek just as they heard a car coming up the drive.

Ten minutes later, Fiona was in Gus’ arms crying. “Papa gone. Ganpa gone. Aidie gone. I sad Daddy.”

“We will see them soon and Uncle JR and Uncle Trev will be here to play in a few weeks.”

Fi sniffled a couple times. “Daddy, you no go?”

“Oh no, baby doll.  I will never leave you.”  

Gus and Fi spent the day playing outside and she even napped on a blanket under a tree with Gus sitting next to her with a notepad in his hand. He was never very good at drawing unless it was drawing desserts or rolls he wanted to make.  And when he got tired of drawing he found himself writing poetry.  

Martha Lee

You were loved

You are missed

My heart aches

My soul mourns 


She’s you and me

Made with our love

She lights my life

She restores my soul


Gus closed his eyes and let himself cry.  He still missed her so much and yet, though his heart still missed her, the pain had lessened and then he realized the tears had turned to the joy he felt being with Fi in this amazing country.

“Daddy, you ok?”

Gus must have drifted off for a few moments and then it terrified him.  He had fallen asleep. For a moment he thought about the day Aiden had disappeared. He wrapped his arms around Fi. “I’m sorry, doll.  I shouldn’t have slept.”

“Daddy nap, too.”

“Fi, remember the woods are too big for Fi without Daddy.  Don’t ever go to the woods without me.”

“No, Daddy, scary bears.”

“Yes, my love.  There are scary bears. Shall we go get a snack and you can play while I start dinner?”

“Yeah!  Cookies?”

“How about one cookie and apple?”

“Yes, please.”


Brian and Justin started planning for a move.  They had not mentioned any of their plans to Gus but they were fairly sure Gus would like the idea. By the end of the week, they had bought the entire building the loft was in and started planning the expansion of their place. The remainder of the floor would be two more apartments on the same level that would be accessed by a separate elevator and the main floor was already leased out to a business. By the time the loft was remodeled it would have two more bathrooms and two more bedrooms. One was for Aiden when he was home and the other was a guest room with a hope that Fiona would sleep over from time to time.

They roamed through the loft after the contractor left. “Brian, this place is going to be amazing.  I love the color scheme. I’m glad we are going to pick out furniture when we are on our European vacation.  I am sure we will get most of the furniture in Italy but I am sure we will be able to pick up things along the way.  It is going to be so amazing.”

“You know what else is amazing?” Brian asked.

“Your cock?”

“Well, I am fond of it.” He pulled Jusitn into his arms.

“Not as fond of it as I am.” Justin moved his foot between Brian’s and began to rub his thigh against Brian’s crotch. 

Brian pressed into Justin making him arch his back. “Damn,” Brian said as he flipped around so Justin was pressed against the sofa and then turned Justin around. Justin was already undoing his fly and Brian followed suit. He tugged Justin’s trousers down and pulled his cock out of his open fly.  “Fuck, I love the feel of you around me,” he said as he sank into Justin and draped his body around Justin.

“And I love the feel of you around me.”  Justin turned and Brian brought his mouth to Justin’s. Brian continued to move and Justin reached back and wrapped his arms around Brian’s head and then climaxed.

“FUCK,” Brian said as he came and then groened.  “Something popped.”

Justin moved carefully out from under Brian and quickly pulled up his pants as Brian supported himself on the sofa.  “What is it Bri? Your back, your knee?”

“Frig...my knee. I think I felt something tear.”

“Do you want me to call an ambulance?”

“Pull up my pants.”  Justin tugged them up and reached around him to tie his fly.  Justin accidentally bumped his leg.  “Shit! Careful!” he said through gritted teeth. He looked at Justin’s face. “Sorry, it just hurts like….and no I don’t need an ambulance. Help me to the door and lock up.  Then you can drive me to the emergency room.  I’m calling Victor.”

Justin didn’t speak but helped Brian across the loft.  Once he was balanced, Justin went back to turn off the lights and he locked the door. He helped him into and out of the lift and then to the car. Justin stayed silent until he had pulled out into traffic.  “Did you get a hold of Vic?”

“I’m sorry, Justin.  I didn’t mean to snap. But fuck, this doesn’t feel like it will heal without help.

“Victor?”

“His nurse.  She will talk to him and either he or a specialist will meet us there. Babe, please forgive me.”

He reached for Brian’s hand.  “I am not angry, Brian.  I am worried. Text Aiden and let him know what we are doing. He will want to meet us there.”  Justin brought Brian’s hand up to his lips.  “I love you.”

“Oh, I love you, too. Babe, I’ll be fine.”

“You will do what the doctor tells you, no matter what?”

“I will. I’m not a kid anymore.  Hell, I’m getting close to sixty.  I have a granddaughter to keep up with.”

As Justin pulled up to the emergency, Victor was walking out the door with a wheelchair.  “Well, Brian, if you wanted to visit me, you didn’t have to injure yourself.” And Brian disappeared into the emergency room as Justin went to park the car.


Gus sat on the sofa in front of a fire.  It always amazed him how chilly it could get at night. Fiona was getting lots of fresh air and fell to sleep as soon as he laid her down. He had noticed her fair skin was slowly turning a light caramel color and her dark hair was lightening. He sipped a glass of wine and closed his eyes, picturing her running in the meadow chasing butterflies today. He texted JR to find out how the business was going and to double check on the plans of their visit in three weeks. Trevor and JR were ready for a vacation on the mountain.

Gus got up and poured himself a drink.  Being alone on the mountain with Fi he limited himself to one drink an evening. He opened the front door and stepped out as the sun totally disappeared and the sky quickly went dark. As he stood in the chilled air he thought he heard a vehicle.  He knew the mountains and valleys played tricks on you up here.  He heard a wolf far in the distance. He stepped in and locked the door. He went to the other door and looked out.  He had put the SUV away in the barn.  They had threatened a storm a couple days ago so he put it there for safety. He decided to leave it there.  They weren’t going anywhere until the weekend when they were going to drive into town for a few groceries.

It was only a little after 10:00 but like Fi, the fresh air cleared his head and chasing a two year old tired him out.

Gus climbed the stairs and dropped into bed. Fi slept across the hall so Gus opened the window just to get a little fresh air. He listened to the wolves howl at the full moon outside.  They no longer scared him.  Somehow he found it comforting knowing they weren’t alone.  As he drifted off he again thought he heard a car but before he could really decide if it was coming this way, he was sound asleep.

 

Was that the drive, finally? The car turned into the drive and she drove it to the back of the property.  Tomorrow she would put it in a building but for now she felt safer than she had in months. Unlocking the door she stumbled into the house. She was so anxious to get in the house she had left her duffle in the car and it would just stay there until morning. She was hungry but too tired to dig through an unfamiliar pantry.  She opened the fridge door and was happy to see water in there.  She grabbed a bottle and walked down a hall she felt had to lead to a bedroom. She opened the door at the end of the hall and knew instantly this had to be Brian and Justin’s bedroom. She used the bathroom and undressed before pulling the blankets back and dropping into the soft bed.  She closed her eyes and slept soundly for the first time in weeks.