- Text Size +

Chapter 4


“Daddy, wake up.” Gus opened his eyes and saw Fiona’s big smile. “Soggy.”

Gus had to laugh.  That’s what his dad, Brian, always said when she was wet. When she sat down on the center of his back he instantly felt the dampness. “Get off me, baby doll and we will get you cleaned up.  Want to take a shower with Daddy?”

“No soap in my eyes?” she said as she climbed down to the floor with Gus’ help.

“I will be very careful.”  Gus stretched and sat up. He grabbed his robe and together they walked to the bath down the hall. He took off Fi’s wet pajamas and diaper before stripping himself and stepping into the warm water.  As she giggled and he washed her hair, he wondered how long this would be considered appropriate. He loved hearing her squeals as the water ran over her toes. He picked her up and carefully rinsed the soap out of her hair.  He put his lips on her neck and blew, making a funny noise. She giggled and his heart stumbled.  His love for his little girl was almost overwhelming and he thought of everything Marley missed out on.  He just hoped she was watching down on them. 

Gus wrapped a big towel around Fi and then quickly dried off himself and slipped into his robe.  After helping Fi dress in her favorite outfit he stopped to pick up a load of wash and Fi sat on the top step and started going down one at a time. As he got to the top stairs with the basket of clothes he heard Fi say, “Papa, Ganpa you hear?” He heard Fi run down the hall toward the master bedroom.

Fi knew his dads had left.  What was she thinking? At the bottom of the stairs he turned toward the bedroom, dropping the basket of clothes in the door of the laundry. As he moved closer to the room he heard water running.  “Fi, did you turn the water on?”

Fi  stood in the door of the bathroom eyes wide open staring at a naked woman stepping out of the shower. “You not Papa or Ganpa,” putting her hands on her hips.  The woman screamed. Gus was in shock.  The woman had green and purple bruises all over her body and as she turned and looked directly at him in unison she said, Gus. while he said, Cass!

“What the hell are you doing here?”  All the yelling scared Fi and she turned and ran to her daddy, holding onto his leg until he picked her up. Then softly Gus said, “Did HE do that to you?”

“Gus, do you mind if I get dressed? Then I will move on.” By now she had wrapped a towel around herself.  “I never gave it a thought that someone would be here.  When Aiden gave me the key I never planned to come here.”

“Daddy?” Fi had put her arm around Gus’ neck and laid her head on his shoulder.

“Fi, this is Cass.  She’s a friend of Uncle Aidie … and of mine.”

Fi cautiously lifted her head and looked at Cass. “Daddy, Cass has booboos.”

“Yes, she does, baby doll.  Let’s go make Cass breakfast and she can join us when she is ready.” He started moving to the door but stopped and looked at Cass again. “Are you sure you don’t need a doctor?”

“I’m sure.  I will be out in about 15 minutes.”


By the time Cass walked into the kitchen, Fi was eating pieces of waffles.  “I hope you still like waffles.”

“Of course and from what I have heard, anything you make is amazing.” Cass sat down across from Fiona. “Hey, sweetie.  I’m sorry if I scared you.”

Fi held out her empty cup to Cass, “More please.”

“Sure.”

She started to take the cup but Gus interrupted.  He handed Cass a cup of coffee and took Fi’s cup from her. “Thank you, Daddy.” Fi said as she took the filled cup from.

“You didn’t forget how I drank it,” Cass said softly as Gus set a plate of waffles in front of her and a plate of bacon.  He loaded his own plate and grabbed the pot of coffee so both of them could have more.

“How could I forget that?” He took a large bite of waffles smothered in real maple syrup. He naturally gave more bites to Fiona. 

“She’s beautiful, Gus, and so sweet natured.”

“Fiona takes after her mother. Martha was an amazing mother and wife.” Gus grew silent, busying himself with giving Fi some fruit pieces.

“I’m so sorry.” When Cass reached over and touched Gus’ arm, Gus felt a current run up his arm and reflexively jerked away.

“Daddy, out please.”

“What would you like to play with?”

“My dollies.”

 “I will be right back, Cass.” Gus walked into the living room and moments later was back and filled both of their cups once more. “Want to talk about it?”  Gus moved so he could see Fi playing.

“I was so stupid.  He nearly killed me this time. Don’t ask...I don’t know why I stayed.  All I know if it wasn’t for Aiden, I would probably be dead now.  I was in the hospital for about a week.  The social worker managed to get him put in jail for 72 hours and had it coincide with the day I got out.  I had a three day head start. I expect he will get out today at noon.”

Fi walked in carrying a doll and said, “Daddy, help please.”

Cass impulsively reached out, “May I help, Fiona?”

Fi looked at her and nodded slowly and laid the doll in her hands. Cass  tied the small buttons on the doll's top and handed it back to her.  “Hug?” Fiona opened her arms and Cass wrapped her arms around the adorable little girl. And just as quickly as she came she ran back to her doll bed.

“Cassandra, you are welcome to stay as long as you want. No one will be here for over two weeks.  By then you should know what is going on with him.” He reached out and touched a fading bruise on her cheek.  “Dad has people that can look into that. So does Uncle Vic.  He is on several boards and one of them has to do with abuse so he has connections with the police and shelters.”

“I’m not going to do anything but get lost.  He has his ways.  The only way I can stay out of his grasp is to change my name and become someone totally different.  We will be here about five more weeks although JR and his husband are coming for the last two weeks but they would never endanger you.  In five weeks you should be healed and by then we can come up with a plan for you.”

“Gus, you don’t know how I appreciate it. I haven’t been able to relax for months.”

“Well, I don’t know if a two year old is relaxing but go lay on the sofa or Fi would love to take a walk and show you all her favorite things, just don’t stray too far from the cabin. Later we can take a ride and go a little further out.”  Gus noticed the stunned look on her face. “Cass is something wrong?”

A tear slipped down her cheek. “It has been so long since a man spoke to me as an equal, I hardly know what to do.” She dropped a light kiss on Gus’ cheek and walked toward Fiona where chatter began immediately.

Gus walked to the sink with the dirty dishes, set them on the counter, and just leaned against it looking out the window.  As he stood there washing the dishes his mind wandered to the voices in the living room. Fi was asking all kinds of questions in her two year old language and Cass was responding with answers that made Fi happy. What more could he ask for. When he had washed the dishes he pulled out his phone and texted Brian to tell him about Cass.


Brian groaned and still in a haze mumbled Justin’s name. “I’m here, Brian.” He stood and kissed Brian’s cheek. “Everything went well.  You should be…”

“Don’t say good as new, please.” Brian reached up and pulled Justin down for a proper kiss. 

“Your lips are definitely still working,” Justin said but when he looked down, he saw Brian was sleeping again.  When they had rushed Brian into the hospital yesterday, Victor and the leading orthopedic surgeon said surgery was their best option. Brian had been having trouble with that knee for a long time and this time they were fairly sure it wouldn’t heal and if it did, he would still have frequent pain.  At least the joint itself was not damaged, just the ligaments around it.  So here they were the next morning and surgery was done.  Victor knew if Brian couldn’t get the surgery right away, he would just let it heal but he would have issues with it the rest of his life and he and Justin were too young and active to be tied down by this.  The surgeon made it work and now he could start recovering.  Justin smiled a little knowing Brian would be a horrible patient the next couple weeks.

“Dad?” Aiden had slipped into the room. “Did everything go well?”

“Yes, everything went perfectly according to Vic.  He woke up briefly but fell back to sleep. Since you are here, if you don’t mind, I am going to go find some coffee and let your brother know what happened, now that we know the end result.”

“Take your time.  I am sure you didn’t eat breakfast before you left at 5:00 this morning.” 

Justin hugged Aiden, “Text if he wakes up, otherwise I will be back in half an hour.” He strode out and went down to the cafeteria.  He picked up some breakfast and then sat at a small table in the corner and pulled out his phone. He decided he wanted to hear Gus’ voice so called him.  It rang and then Gus answered.

Gus walked outside as he picked up the call. “Hey, Dad! Did Dad show you my message?”

“No, he didn’t.  Is something wrong?”

“Dad didn’t see my message?”

“Gus, everything is good but Brian had surgery this morning.”  

Gus sat down on the porch, now concerned. “What happened?”

“You know that knee that bothers him off and on?”

“Ya, it finally gave out?”

“It did.  Fortunately, the joint itself is fine.  They repaired a torn ligament and whatever else surgeons do.”

“Glad to hear it all went well.” Gus paused and took a breath. “Dad, Cass is here.”

“What?” Justin was shocked.  She showed up overnight.  We found her this morning, in your shower.  Dad, she had been beaten to a pulp.  Do you know anyone that can check if the asshole is in jail and maybe …. I don’t know, keep an eye on him? She doesn’t think he has any idea where she would go but I don’t want any surprises up here.”

“I will get someone on it and let you know.  Is she ok?”

“She is covered with bruises but was released from the hospital and just needs to rest.”

“Gus, is she going to stay up there?”

“For now, until we hear from you and whether or not it is safe for her to go somewhere else.”

“Let us know if you need anything. How is my Fiona?”

“From the laughter I hear she is enjoying having a visitor.”

“And she is probably good medicine for Cass, too, considering how much she enjoys children.”

“I was surprised when Aiden told me she didn’t have any of her own.”

“Aiden didn’t tell you at the time but she had a miscarriage when she stayed after Fi’s birthday and I am not sure if that was the first.” 

“Bastard!” Gus said louder than he expected.

“Did you say something, Gus?” Cass said from inside the house.

“Dad, I better go.  Tell Dad I love him and let me know if you get any information about... “

“Give that sweetheart a kiss for me and say hello to Cass.” Justin hesitated and then took a breath, “Gus, remember what she has just gone through.”

“I will, Dad.  Cass has been a friend far longer than what she had when I was SO young.”

“Gus, I know you are not going to take advantage however in her state…”

“I know, Dad.  Talk to you soon.”

“Daddy, come have tea with me and Cassy.” Fi toddled out to Gus with Cass smiling in the doorway.

Gus picked up Fi and kissed her.  “If Cass is up to it, maybe we can take some snacks and the tea party up to the meadow.”

“Yeah! Cass have tea party?”

“We’ll take the four wheeler.  It is too far for Fi to walk.”

“Didn’t we just eat breakfast?” Cass smiled.

Gus smiled, “We tend to go find a place to hang for a couple hours and eat a light lunch wherever we are and before taking a nap under a tree. Dinner is fairly early with a two year old.”

“That sounds wonderful.” 

Thirty minutes later Gus had put a basket together with food and found a couple blankets.  As they walked out to the four wheeler, Cass’ instantly reacted to being outside, “Oh, my car.  I need to hide my car. Is there a building I can put it in?”

Gus laid his hand on her shoulder and felt her tense but didn’t withdraw it.  “If he just gets out today, there is no way he could get here and besides, that is just rental, isn’t it?”

“Yes, but Gus, you don’t know my husband, Carl.  He is a cop.  He can get answers normal people can’t.”

“Shit, I didn’t know that.”

“Shit, Daddy, can we go.” Gus tried not to laugh but coming out of his precious little girl he had to fight back laughter.        

“Fi, Daddy shouldn’t have said that.  Let’s try not to remember that word.”

“Ok, can we go?” Fi started bouncing up and down.

Gus picked up Fiona and put her in the car seat he had rigged up for her and directed Cass to get in and then, slowly he followed the path to the meadow. Cass looked around as he drove.  “This place is magical. Now I know why you always wanted to come here and why they took you here after they learned about us.”

“Cass it wasn’t your fault. I was being stupid.”

“You were just a kid. I should have never...we’ll talk later.” She glanced behind her at Fi. When she looked forward she gasped at the view.  “Is this where you called me from?” 

“Right over by that stone. Of course, Uncle Ted and Uncle Vic’s cabin wasn’t there.” He stopped on the edge of the meadow near the rock where he set out the picnic table and the two blankets. They spread one out and they sat on it using the rock to lean against.  

Fiona had her own little basket for the tea party and served everybody ‘tea’ and ‘cookies’.  After a few minutes she laid down in between Gus and Cass and was soon sleeping.

“You know when you were a kid, I should have been the mature adult but I didn’t know anything about that.  My family had no boundaries.  That’s why I had broke off all contact with them.  But like the old stories go, I was drawn to the same type of man. I wanted to find someone that treated me right.  Well, how could I resist the sweetness you always had.  But it was stupid. You were a child. But then we got straightened out and I met Carl. Instead of my father hitting me and my mom, he did. Of course,  he always apologized and crawled back explaining what I had done and what I shouldn’t do next time.”

“Why didn’t you leave him, right away? My dads would have helped.”            

“I don’t know how to explain it but I loved him, or thought I did. My parents ‘loved’ each other and they fought all the time. I thought that was what should happen.  Your dads were the only couple I knew that had real love.”  

“But after the first time, why did you…”

“Gus, I know it makes no sense. I know it took me far too long to realize it.  The first time I miscarried because of him should have woke me up but I took this last beating to…”           

“How many miscarriages have you had?”

“Three. After the last one, that is when I came to your dads, I can’t have kids or likely will never get pregnant again.  He hit me so hard  I had damage that caused scarring.”

“Damn, Cass, I’m so sorry.” He reached over and squeezed her hand. He then put his hand on Fiona, “I just can’t imagine life without her.”

“Gus, tell me about her.  Aiden loved her a lot.”

Gus smiled, “I knew he had a crush on her but he also does on you.  Marley and I just had a lot in common. We started out as friends and then it became obvious it was more. Once we realized it, we moved in together and as soon as we were out of school we started the bakery and then a couple years after that, we got married and then Fiona was on the way. We were so happy.”

Fiona turned over and got on her hands and knees and then she crawled onto Gus’ lap and laid against him. “Daddy, I saw a wolf.”

“You did, huh? Was it in a dream? You don’t need to be scared of a dream.”

“Not scary, Daddy.”            

“I am so glad it didn’t scare you.” He kissed her and then laid her down and started to tickle her.  Her giggles echoed off the trees and open air. 

Cass stood and busied herself with the basket of food. She was so confused. She knew she would never have a child to love like this one. And she knew she didn’t deserve a husband like Gus.  And she could not think of a future until she heard what happened to Carl. She would never do anything that threatened friends.  If she needed to disappear, she would. She would never again subject herself to that life.  Since she couldn’t have kids of her own, maybe she would become a nanny at an isolated estate.

“Cassie, up please.” Gus saw Cass cringe as she lifted his daughter and set her on the stone.

“Are you hungry? Do you want to help me get the food out?”

“Daddy, do we have cookies?” Gus walked over and put an arm around Fi.

“You are my little cookie monster.”

“I love cookies!” She looked up at Cass and smiled. 

Cass was drawn to Fi and kissed her cheek. “Cookies are my favorite snack, too.”              

“Well, you are both very lucky. I happen to know how to make about 100 varieties.”                 

“Baby doll, can you help Cass spread the blanket out and I will get the food together since I know what is what in here.”

Moments later they were sitting on the blanket, now in the shade and ate the finger food.  There were small buns that Gus had made earlier in the week filled with chicken salad. There were cheese chunks and fruit cut into bite size pieces.  Soon they were all laughing as Fi kept feeding first her daddy and then she would bring a bite of something to Cass. They finished with cookies.

“Gus, these cookies are amazing!” She took another bite and  the freeze dried strawberry popped in her mouth.

“Stawberries is nummy.” Fi smiled at Cass and Cass had to pull her close and kiss her. Fi kissed her back. “Daddy, I wuv Cass.”

“Oh, Fi, I love you, too.”

Gus felt awkward for some reason.  He got up and started putting food away. “Baby doll, what time is it?”

“Naptime,” she said hesitantly. “I don’t want to sleep.”

“Sweetie, what if I lay down with you. I could use a nap myself.”

“In Papa and Ganpa’s bed?”

“Yes, in their bed is fine,” Gus stated. Gus wasn’t sure he wanted to picture Cass sleeping in the bed he slept in.     

Twenty minutes later, Gus was working in the kitchen while the girls napped.  After he had put their picnic away, Gus couldn’t resist. He went down the hall and peeked in at Fi and Cass. Fi had curled up against Cass and Cass’ arm held her protectively. He pulled the door shut and as he moved back down the hall he heard his phone ring. It was Brian.

“Hey, Dad, how are you feeling?”

“I’m feeling great!” Brian said. 

“Let me guess, wonderful painkillers.”

“Ya, Justin said Cass showed up overnight.” He didn’t sound so out of it now. “Is she hurting?”

“She is doing Ok.  She lifted Fi and I could tell that didn’t feel good. Did Dad find anything out?”

“I will pass the phone to him.  Love you, son.  Hug Fi for me.”

“Love you, Dad.  Hope you recover quickly.” There was silence for a minute.

“Hey, Gus. Carl was released around noon today but he has been ordered to stay in the city and at the moment he is on desk duty.”

“Thanks, Dad.  How did you find that out?”

“I called your mom for a name and she gave me a couple guys she used to work with. The police department isn’t happy with him.  They had ignored the previous reports but the fact he put her in the hospital for a week and he has a new, female supervisor, rumor has it, if it goes to court, and he is found guilty he will obviously go to jail but if he gets convicted of a lesser charge he will still probably get left go.”

“Can you find a good lawyer to look over the case?”

“Your mom’s old partner is looking into it already for us. How is Cass doing?”

“She is napping with Fiona. Dad, Fiona loves her.”

“She is easy to love,” Justin said with a note of understanding.  

“Dad, I can’t go there.  I have to admit, seeing her with Fi made me see what Fi is missing but I know she has a lot to work through.”                        

“I know you will handle it anyway it goes.  We love you all and don’t be afraid to call if you need to talk.”

“Fi is asking about both of you.  We love you. Talk to you soon.”


“Have they screwed yet?” Brian said in the haze of his painkiller.

“Bri,” Justin laughed, knowing Brian probably wouldn’t remember that tomorrow. “I love you,” he kissed Brian who tried to pull him into bed. “I am going home to spend a little time with Aiden.  I will be back in the morning to take you home.”

Brian seemed to sober up again.  “Is everything alright up on the mountain?  

“Gus and Fi are good and Cass is healing.  Goodnight, love.” After one more kiss, Justin left. He drove home and found Aiden sitting in front of the TV. “Hey, Aiden, did you get some dinner?”

“Ya, I ate the last of the premade dinners Gus had in the freezer.  I am going to miss his food.”

“You are going to live in France.  I don’t think you are going to have any issues finding good food there.” Justin sat down next to his son and put an arm around him. He felt sentimental all of the sudden.  Just thinking about Aiden moving to Europe and knowing things are a little up in the air with Gus.

“Dad, you are quiet tonight. Is something wrong?”

“No, Aid.  I am just thinking about your father coming home tomorrow.  I think we will stay in the guest room down here for a few days.  And we both know what a bad patient he is.”

“Ya. Did you talk to Gus? How is Cass?”

“She is doing well and Fi is thrilled to have a girl there.”

“That dude needs to be locked up for life. How can a guy do that to the person he is supposed to love?”

Justin kissed Aiden’s head, “I’m glad my boys both know how to treat those he loves.”


When Cass and Fiona walked into the kitchen they found Gus on his computer. “Daddy, working.”

“Come give Daddy a kiss,” Gus said and Fiona ran over to him. “Did you have a nice nap?” His gaze went from Fi to look up at Cass.

“I did.  Cass let me nuggle her.”

“Any time, Fi.  I love nuggling with you.”

“Daddy, Uncle JR coming?”

“In a couple weeks.”

“Miss him and Trev.”

“I will tell him that. He misses you, too.” He closed his computer. “Did you want to help with dinner?” He lifted Fi off the floor and twirled her around.

Still giggling, “We having chicken?”

Gus smiled and looked at Cass, “Chicken is her favorite.”

“We have nuggs?”     

“Why don’t you ask Cass if she likes nuggs.”

“Cassie, like nuggs?”

“I love nuggs.” Cass walked to the back window. “Is there a garage I could put my car in?”

“Oh, ya, our vehicle is in the barn but there is room for two in there.”

“Good that you thought about it now.  We don’t wander too far from the cabin. If you want to look around a little bit go ahead.  The loft in the barn has a play area and the bunk house is near there.”

“Ok, I could use a little stretch.”

“Cass, grab one of the walkies by the door.  It is just a rule we have.  If you leave the house you grab one in case you turn an ankle or something.”

“Makes sense.” Fi ran to the window and waved at Cass’ back.

Cass walked slowly across the property.  She loved it here. It was the first time she had felt content, maybe ever.  After moving the vehicle, she went up to the loft.  She started getting the picture Gus and Aiden had painted for her.  From the barn loft you couldn’t see another building but she knew Gus was nearby and he would always watch out for her, well, for any of his friends. She closed her eyes and pictured Gus and JR up here and Aiden popping in and out with JR’s brother.  She couldn’t think of his name. 

Next, she walked to the bunkhouse. Gus had given her the lock code and she walked in. When she first moved in to help with Aiden, she would have said this was Justin’s touch but when she really got to know them, Justin and Brian always worked as a team and this definitely had Brian’s touch. It was highly functional but the extra touches made it welcoming. She looked at the wall of pictures.  Gus and JR were there as was Aiden and Molly and her family. This was where they went to find contentment.  She finally knew what contentment was although she still feared Carl would be back.

“Hey, Cass!”

Cass jumped when the walkie sounded. “Shit!” she said and then answered the call. “Hey, Gus.”

“You may not  have noticed but there is a storm moving in.  When they hit up here they hit hard.”

She turned off the lights and walked out the door of the bunkhouse.  “I’m on my way.  See you in two minutes.”

“Fiona is watching for you.”

Cass started moving toward the house and before she got to the drive she saw the small figure in the window.  She walked faster and waved at the enchanting little girl.

“Cassie!” Fi ran into her arms. 

“Hello, sweet heart. Was I gone that long?”

“I misseded you.”

“I think you arrived just in time. She is tired of me.” Gus smiled over at her.

“Well, I am just thankful you didn’t send me packing. This place is magical.  I have never felt more content in my life.” Gus looked at her.  “The only other time I felt like this was when I lived in your garden apartment. Must be something about the Kinney’s.”

“Cassie, read me a story?” Just as Fi finished her question, thunder shook the cabin and Fi started crying.  Cass dropped to a knee and pulled the little girl into an embrace.

“Fi, I would love to tell you a story.  Can I do that?” The tearful child nodded and Cass led her to the sofa. 

As Gus started dinner he listened to Cass.  She was telling Fi a story about thunder and how Mr. Thunder wasn’t angry. He was there because Mr. Lightning scared people and Mr. Thunder was just trying to scare him off.  Gus could tell she was making it up as she went but she had Fiona so enthralled she didn’t even notice the thunder anymore.

They sat down for dinner about 6:00. It continued to rain but the thunder still rumbled but there hadn’t been any more loud crashes. It was just raining gently now. Cass couldn’t stop talking about how good the meal was. “I wanted to stop by your bakery but Carl told me in no uncertain terms that if I did…” She drifted off for a moment. “I wish I knew where he was.”

“We’ll talk later,” Gus turned to Fi, “What would you like for dessert?” 

“You know something and didn’t…” Cass started.

“Ice cream?”

“Sorry, Fi, we will get more tomorrow.  Would you like me to make some pudding?”

“Yummy!”

“What flavor?”

Fi looked at Cass, “What you like?” 

“I am sure anything your daddy makes will be good.”

“Scutterbotch?” Fi asked and Cass looked confused.

“Butterscotch,” Gus smiled.

“K, Cassie?”

“Butterscotch sounds great.” 

Gus moved to the stove to start the pudding. Cass stood and walked up behind him.  “You know something and didn’t tell me?” she said through gritted teeth as she went down the hall to the bathroom. Gus watched her go.

Cass came back as Gus finished the creamy custard. He gave them each a dish and all of them ate silently. When they had finished, Gus took Fi up to give her a bath. 

While Gus was upstairs with Fiona, Cass cleared the table and, after putting the food away, she washed up the pans and put them away.  She knew she had over reacted.  That wasn’t a conversation to have around a toddler and Fi is always around. Gus was doing such a good job with her. Aiden had said something to her about Brian and Justin traveling.  Could Gus really keep this up alone? Well, obviously he couldn’t.  

When she had finished cleaning she moved to her room.  She had a feeling, after her reaction, he wouldn’t want to talk to her anyway.  She started getting nervous.  What if Gus made her leave? He didn’t owe her anything? What was she going to do if Gus made her leave? Carl was right! She couldn’t control her mouth.  Maybe she did deserve to be hit. She heard Gus coming downstairs and rushed to her room.

Gus walked into the kitchen and found everything cleaned up and put away. He had been ready to apologize but he really hadn’t had time to tell her. He understood her frustration.  He should have realized she would be on edge.  He was inconsiderate. He realized that now.

He poured them each a glass of wine and walked down the hallway. He tapped on the door lightly. “Cass, can I come in?”  There was no response so he opened the door, thinking she may have fallen asleep but when he opened the door just a crack. She wasn’t there.  He stepped in and walked to the bathroom door. It was open. “Cass?”  Gus moved into the room and looked into the alcove where the bath was and Cass sat with her knees pulled tightly to her chest and rocked.  Gus set the glasses on the vanity and moved over to Cass. “Cass, what can I do to help you?” He reached out to brush her hair off her cheek but she shrank from him.

“I’m sorry.  I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said anything. Please, don’t throw me out.  I don’t know where I would go.” She buried her head to her chest and covered it with her arms and hands.

Gus felt like he had taken a blow. He would never raise his hand to a woman.  He would never raise a hand to anyone unless it was for protection. How could she…  No, it wasn’t her.  It was all Carl’s fault.

“Cass,” Gus said softly. He gently reached out and took her hand. For a moment she panicked. “Cass, look at me. It’s me Gus.  I would never hurt you. Cass,” she slowly lifted her head and looked at him eye to eye.

“Gus?” She reached out and put her arms around his neck.  

Gus reached in and slowly lifted her out of the tub and carried her to the bed, setting her down.  He went back and grabbed the glasses and carried them back to her. He handed her a glass. “Take a drink.” She sipped it and he set it back on the table. He sat on the edge of the bed and took both her hands. “Did I do something? I don’t want to trigger anything. I should have told you I talked to Dad.”

“No, Gus. It wasn’t you at all. Of course you couldn’t tell me with Fi around. I somehow got sucked into my own brain and I thought you would treat me like him.” She picked up the glass and took another sip. “I know you would never touch me, in fact I never felt safer than when I was with your family.”

“Cass, I would never make you leave.  You are welcome here.  Aiden is smarter than the rest of us. He gave you something you really could use. Cassandra, you are always safe with me. I…”

Cass sat up straight and, putting her hand behind Gus’ head she kissed him. Gus’ body responded to her instantly. He put his arms around her and took the kiss deeper. Cass moved, pulling him down onto the bed with her. She moved her hand to his crotch and as he responded to her hand, his mind kicked back in.  He carefully retracted from her.

“Cass, this isn’t right.”

“I’m sorry, Gus.  I know. I’m a slut.  I just am not good.  My dad told me that.  Carl told me that.  You can find someone so much better than me.”

“Oh, Cass, none of that is true.  You have been hurt.  Your body is still bruised and battered from that asshole.  An asshole that, by the way, has been told he cannot leave Pittsburgh and, although he is on desk duty at the moment, it is expected that he will lose his job, even if he doesn’t go to prison, but it is likely he will spend some time in jail.”

During his speech, Cass had calmed down and now he took her into his arms and she laid her head on his chest. “Gus, I promise, I’m not crazy.  I think I just need a little…”

“You need time to physically heal and when we get back, I think it would be a good idea to talk to someone.”

“I know you’re right. Thank you, Gus. Thank you for everything.”


Justin helped Brian into bed. “Why the hell can’t I go upstairs? This bed is for shit and there is obviously not enough room for us to screw.”

“Brian, when you are well enough to make love, you will be well enough to make it up the steps.” Justin laid down next to him. “And if I remember correctly, we have made love in much smaller areas than this.”

“Justin,” Brian kissed him and pulled him closer.  “Is  everything OK in Montana?”

“Yes.  Gus says Cass is getting stronger.”

“You know, I loved Marley as I would a daughter, but we both know that as much as Gus loved her, Cass was his first love. And now that she is back, well, maybe she is what Gus and Fi need, once she recovers.”

“I just hope Gus can wait that long.” Justin kissed Brian and as he did, his hand moved down Brian’s body and into his briefs. “We may not be able to actually make love but that doesn’t mean I can’t have a little extra protein  before bed.”

 

“Damn, I love the way you think."