- Text Size +

Chapter 5


The next two weeks Cass healed physically and mentally.  She didn’t jump every time she heard a car go by or an animal walking in the woods. Gus remained relaxed and friendly but gave her a little space while he watched his daughter fall in love with her.  He talked to his dads daily.  He used the front that he wanted to know how Brian was but the truth was, Brian was doing well.  It was Carl he was calling about.  The prosecutor had seen the pictures of Cass when she was rushed to the hospital by a neighbor. Carl’s lawyer was trying to convince the district attorney that it was the stress of his job. Brian was on the phone with everyone he knew that had some pull  in the courthouse and Victor, as a board member of a family crisis center. Every day he told Cass Carl was being tracked with an ankle monitor on and she would sign with relief.

“What time will JR and his husband arrive?” Cass asked.

“They should be here by lunch,” Gus said as he poured Cass a glass of wine and bourbon for himself. He listened at the stairs for a moment but Fiona was quiet. “Fi is going to be so excited.  She loves those two.  We have had many ‘dates’ at their house.  Sometimes I would be part of it but sometimes it was my chance for a break.  Fi loves hanging at the bakery, too.”

“She is so special, Gus.  She has your heart and your inner joy.”

“Martha had that spirit.  I hate that she won’t remember her.”

“You’ll keep her alive for her.”

“I will try.” Gus emptied his glass again.

“Gus, are you alright? Is something wrong?”

“Nine years ago today, on Martha’s Vineyard, there had been a storm and the electricity went out.  Martha and I decided to take her dad’s boat out in the bay.  The water was completely still and the temperature was mild. We sat on the deck and let the boat drift naturally.” Gus walked to the window and looked out at the sky where the first stars were popping out. “That was the first time she told me she loved me and I felt my heart soar. I took her in my arms and… I told her..” he poured a third glass.  His voice was starting to slur, “I told her I loved her, too, and we made love for the first time. Mel was the only other girl I was with.”  He stopped talking.

Cass set her glass down and moved quietly toward him, making just enough noise that she didn’t surprise him. Just as she reached for his shoulder, Gus turned into her arms.  “I am sorry, Gus. I can’t imagine what it is like to lose someone you love so much.  I can’t imagine loving someone like that.” 

Gus turned and she put her arms around him. He clung to her.  He let the tears come.  “I will always miss her but I know she would want me to go on. Fi needs a mommy and I hate to admit it but I need someone in my life.”

“Gus, there is nothing wrong with giving your daughter a happy family.  Every child deserves that.” Cassandra ran her fingers across his forehead moving the hair out of his eyes. “Gus, I…”

Cass was silenced by Gus’ lips.  His arms went around her tightly but when his hand pressed the small of her back against him, she stiffened and froze. Her body began to tremble. 

“Shit, Cass, I’m sorry.  I didn’t mean to… Sleep upstairs with Fi.” As he talked he moved around the living room. “I’m drunk.  Not an excuse but Fi, please.” Gus grabbed the bottle of whiskey and a bottle of water. He picked up a walkie out of habit and said, “I’m sleeping in the bunkhouse.”

“Gus, you don’t have to.  You didn’t do anything. It wasn’t you.” And then she was talking to a closed door.  She rushed to the back window so she could make sure he got into the bunkhouse safely. She took one of the walkies with her as she went upstairs. She looked in on Fiona but couldn’t lay in the bed she knew Gus had been sleeping in.  She left the door open and went across the hall. She looked at the walkie and picked it up. “Gus, I’m sorry I reacted that way.  You didn’t do anything wrong.”  She let go of the button and listened.

Gus had finished the rest of the bottle and lay on the bottom bunk.  He jumped when he heard Cass’ voice. “You didn’t do anything.” His words were slurred.  “I’m an ass.  I was talking about the woman I loved more than life. I would have taken her place, you know.”

“Oh, Gus, your daughter loves you so much. And you love her enough for two parents.”

“I do.  I love my baby doll.” Gus was silent for a few moments and Cass thought he might be crying.

“Gus, some very lucky woman will win your heart and you will have love again.” 

Now a very sleepy voice came on one last time, “Is her name Cass?”

She knew he was sleeping. It would be so easy to love Gus and she already loved Fi but she knew she had to do a lot of healing before she would be ready to trust again, but she couldn’t be sure Gus would wait that long and he shouldn’t.


“Cassie, what you doin’ here? Where my daddy.”

Cass reached out for the girl and Fi scrambled up next to her and kissed her cheek.  “Your daddy felt like sleeping out in the bunkhouse but,” she stopped talking and listened, hearing him come in. “I do believe your daddy is here.”

“I soggy.” 

Cass laughed, “Well how about we get you dressed and I can braid your hair.”

“Yeah!  I wuv you, Cassie.”

“Oh Fi, that makes me so happy.  I love you, too.”


Twenty minutes later the girls went downstairs. “Daddy, I pretty for Uncles?”

Gus turned and saw his little girl.  Cass had French braided Fiona’s hair and got her dressed in an adorable sundress with ruffles in multiple colors. “Oh, Fi, you are so pretty,” he said as she spun in a circle. “Thank you, and last night, I’m…”

“Gus, there is nothing to say.  How are you feeling?”

“I’m good.  Coffee has taken care of my head. I do need to say it.  If you hadn’t been here, she would have been unsupervised,” he whispered.

The pain in his eyes made her reach out and touch his cheek, “You would never put her in danger.  If I hadn’t been here you wouldn’t have left the house.”

“Daddy, I hungry. Can I have breakfast?”

“Sure, baby doll.” He placed her on her booster seat and then brought her a cut up waffle and some banana slices. “Do you want eggs?”

“No, thank you.”  

Gus set a small bowl of homemade blueberry syrup in front of her and she immediately started dipping a bite of waffle in the dish and ate it.  He looked at Cass, “Would you like eggs? If it makes a difference, I am having poached eggs for my waffle.”

Cass smiled at him, “That sounds great. I am getting spoiled.”

“You deserve a little love and care. I would say it is well overdue.” Cass choked back the tears.  It had been so long to be treated with kindness daily.    She opened her mouth to say something but he stopped her, “Don’t try to convince me any different.  Fiona and I are going to take care of you as long as we are here.”

“Thank you, Gus.” Cass smiled at Gus and he was glad his body was facing the stove. His heart moved as did his dick.

“Gus, JR knows I’m here, right?”

“No, I didn’t.  I know he doesn’t know anyone in your life but I thought the fewer people the better. I did tell him there would be a surprise for him.”

“Uncle JR here soon?”

“Before lunch time.”

“Too long.” Fi pouted.

“I was thinking maybe the house could be freshened up a bit.  You said the house has been closed up for a while.  Let’s go open it up for them.  I am sure it could use some fresh air.  Fiona, would you like to pick some flowers for your uncles?”

“Can we, Daddy?”

“That is a brilliant idea. When we finish eating we will go over.”

Fi rushed the adults through their meal and Cass cleaned up while Gus put together a few cleaning supplies, along with some of the cookies he had baked earlier in the week. 

“I know they are stopping for groceries but they probably won’t have time to bake today. By the way, did I tell you we are planning on creating some new treats for the bakery so every day we will probably have experimental desserts and breads.”

“Oh god, I will weigh 200 pounds by the time we go home.”

“Not likely but you could use a few pounds.  You are too skinny.”

“Stress will do that to you.”  

They locked eyes for a moment but then Gus broke it and said, “Are you ready baby doll?”

“Yes!” Fi ran to the door and they all walked out together.

They took the four wheeler to the meadow and up to the house. Gus and Fi picked flowers while Cass went inside and started opening windows. She had just started dusting the floors when Gus came in with a crying Fi in his arms.

“What happened?” Cass rushed over to them. 

“She was stung by a bee. Shit, I don’t know what to do.” The worry was written all over his face.

“Come here, sweetheart.  Gus, give me one of your credit cards.” Cass kissed Fi’s tearstained cheek.

“A credit card?” As he pulled out his wallet he wondered why he had it with him.

“Yes, and then see if you can find some vinegar, apple cider vinegar if they have it.”

Gus handed her a credit card and then walked to the pantry.  

“Ok, Fi, can you sit here so I can look at your booboo?” Cass set her down on the counter and Fi bravely held out her arm.  Cass could see the stinger was still in her small hand. 

Gus rushed back with a bottle of vinegar and wrapped his arm tightly around his daughter.  “Fi, this is going to hurt for just a minute.  I promise I will do it fast.” Cass quickly scraped the card across her hand and the stinger popped out.  “Gus, get me some tissues or paper towels.”

Cass kissed Fi again as Gus gave her some paper towels. She wiped away the stinger and then, holding the small hand over the  sink she poured the vinegar over the small spot of blood that was swelling.  “Gus, find something for an ice pack. Fi, can you take a deep breath?” Cass took a deep breath and Fi followed suit with a shutter.

“Is she Ok?” Gus asked as he wrapped a towel around Fiona’s hand and then placed the bag of ice on it. Gus picked her up and carried her to the rocking chair that overlooked the valley and he held his girl and rocked. 

Cass gave him a little space and cleaned up the kitchen.  As she was putting away the vinegar she noticed a first aid kit.  She opened it and found what she was hoping for.  There was a single dose package of children’s acetaminophen and a bandage.  She put the kit away and got a glass of water before walking back to the rocking chair and the people she loved too much.  “Gus, does she have any medical allergies.”

“Not that I know of. Why?”

“Sweetie, can you chew this up for me?” Fi let Cass put the chewable tablet in her mouth and she chewed it up and then took a sip of the water. “Does it still hurt?”

Fi nodded her head but then softly said, “Daddy kissed it,” she said with a brave look on her face.  

“Well, how about I put the fresh flowers you picked in a vase and your daddy can put this band aid on for you and then we go home and get ready for company.”

Five minutes later Gus walked in with Fi’s arms wrapped tightly around his neck.  “The flowers look beautiful.”  

Fi slowly turned her head. “Pretty.” She reached out and Cass reached for her.

“You were so brave.” Cass carried her out of the house and Gus drove them all back to the cabin. Cass crooned to her all the way back and when they arrived she carried her in and sat down with her letting her sleep.  

“You were amazing!” Gus whispered.  “How did you know all that?”

“I started taking courses on first aid so I could take care of my own wounds. He was going to make me stop but then he decided it would be a good idea.”

“Cass, I…  I hear a car!” Gus said louder than he planned.  

“Daddy,” Fi lifted her head, “Is Uncle JR here?”

“Almost.”

“Fi, let’s go wash your face.  We don’t want JR to think you are crying about him.”

“You fix braids?”

“Of course, love.” Cass looked at Gus who mouthed the words Thank You.

Gus walked out the door and saw the car coming around the curve in the driveway. JR was driving and Trevor stood up and put his head through the sunroof and waved. There were hugs all around once JR parked the car.

“Where is my girlfriend?” JR asked, looking toward the house. 

“Uncle Trev, Uncle JR! You’re here!”  Fi was like a whirlwind as she ran to meet them. As JR swooped her up she said, “Bad bee bit me.”  She held out her hand and showed Trevor her band aid. Trevor pulled her into his arms and kissed her cheek.

JR looked over Gus’ shoulder and then blinked. “Cass? Gus, Cass?”

Gus hugged JR and whispered, “I’ll explain later.  Go give her a hug.”

“Cass, how great it is to see you!  What’s it been, ten years?” JR gave her a big bear hug. “Girl, you got skinny! Not that you were ever heavy but you are nothing but bones.”

Gus, Trev, and Fi walked up. Gus draped his arm around JR and kissed his cheek, “I told her we would fatten her up in the next two weeks.”

“Cassie kissed my booboo. She made it better,” Fi leaned toward Cass and she took the girl.

“We girls have to stick together with all these boys around.”

“Girl Power,” Fiona said and smiled at Cass.

“Why don’t you two go to your place and unload and be back in 45 minutes? I’ll get lunch ready.”


As soon as JR and Trev shut the car doors Trev said loudly, “That’s Cass? THE Cass?”

“Ya, I can’t wait to hear this one.  He didn’t know she would be here when he came up here.  I wonder if...did you notice a faint bruise on her cheekbone?” JR said as he pulled up to the house.

“I didn’t get as close to her. You aren’t saying Gus…”

“Hell, no!  Trevor, Gus would never! I’m saying her ex did this to her.”

They met at the back of the car and Trevor pulled JR to him.  “You know I love Gus. Does he ever talk about her when it is just the two of you?”  Before JR could answer, Trev kissed him.

“Forty minutes.  I have a lonely, very lonely hole that would love to feel that amazingly, huge cock of yours.” 

JR grabbed all the groceries and said, “Leave the luggage.  Grab the carry-on so we can freshen up before going over for lunch.” Trevor grabbed both their bags and they went into the house.

As JR put away the groceries as quickly as he could, Trevor picked up the vase of flowers. “Look how sweet.  This must be the reason Fi got stung.  They are beautiful.”

“I will make her some of her favorite ice cream this evening for dinner to thank her for them. And now, I think I have a stinger you will enjoy.” Together they ran up the steps with their bags.

Thirty minutes later they walked hand in hand over to the log cabin. “Sorry, I hurt you.”

“Damn, JR, you can hurt me like that as often as you want but it is a good thing I am walking it off a bit.” JR stopped and pulled in close, kissing him. “I love you, Trevor. How did I get so lucky? You could have had anyone and…”

“And I chose the kindest, most loving man I have ever met in my life.” As the men kissed they heard small footsteps.

“Uncle JR, daddy says come. I’m hungry!” Fi grabbed both their legs and then JR lifted her and put her on his shoulders as they walked the rest of the way to the cabin. 

“Daddy, here.” Fi called, and as Gus stepped out Fiona broke out in giggles as Trevor plucked her off of JR’s shoulders and swung her around. Cass stood at the window feeling a little nervous. Being with one guy was one thing but being with three was making her a little jumpy and she really didn’t know two of them. Gus turned and saw the look on her face. He held up a hand to JR who turned and distracted Fri for a moment.

“Cass, are you alright?”

“Just jumped into panic mode for some reason.  I know you would never have anyone around Fiona that wasn’t a good person.” 

Gus walked over to her and took her hand, “You’re right. If it wasn’t for those two I don’t know if I would have survived.  There were nights Trev would play with Fi while JR and I baked.  She loves them and she is an amazing judge of character.  She fell in love with you right away.” Gus brought her hand to his mouth and kissed it.  “They won’t stay long after eating.”

“After dinner, you guys go out and play.  I will stay and nap with Fi,” Cass said.

“That would be great. We have some catching up to do.” Gus walked to the door and called, “Lunch is ready.”

The food and the company was great but Cass was fairly quiet and as soon as Fiona started whining a bit, she snapped her up and they went to lay down on her bed.

The moment he heard the bedroom door shut, JR said, “So give us the dirt!”

Gus got up and said, “Let me put this away and we can take a walk.” All three of the men quickly took care of the mess and then strode out of the house.  And before we get into the conversation you want to have, how badly did you pound this man when you got here.”

“Well, my man begged me to bugger him so I did.”

“And, damn, I loved it but we didn’t have time to limber up, if you know what I mean,” Trev said as he ran his hand over JR’s fly.

“Oh, trust me, my dad walked that way most of my life, not that my dad has the mass JR has.” Gus put an arm around Trev’s shoulders.

“We’re just here and you are moving in on my man when it appears you have got your own…”

“No, JR,” Gus said more sharply than he meant to.” He took a breath. “Sorry.  It was bad, and I mean BAD.” The guys ended up on the edge of the forest where there was an area made up for a bonfire and they sat down on the log stumps made into seats. “My dads are keeping in contact and according to the information your dad found, she is lucky to be alive. Her body was completely covered with bruises of different ages.”

“It had to be a shock to find out you had someone sleeping in the house.”

“And Aiden gave her everything she needed to get away. He gave her the key and a way to pay for her. That boy is so brilliant.”s

“And he is going to school in France.  I can’t believe that.”

“Ya, I am  going to miss him and Fi is going to be heartbroken but we can do video calls.  And maybe we will have to take a trip there sometime.  How is Ray doing? Is he still living with your mom?”

“He goes back and forth.  I wish he would find something he loved. At this point, at least he said he would give community college a chance.”

“Ya, he needed Vic and Ted when he went there but he never was as comfortable as you were with them.”

“We both needed them but for very different reasons and now that Mom is married and happy to a great guy, there is a place for him there.  I will never fit in completely there.  I know I’m loved but they just can’t treat me,” he looked at Trevor and kissed him, “can't treat us as just a normal couple.”

Trevor moved closer to him, “We have plenty of love.”

“Yes we do,” they kissed again.

“You two remind me more of my dads than any other couple I know. You just belong together…” Gus’ voice trailed off.

JR kissed Trevor’s temple and walked over to Gus, “Now, tell me what you are really thinking about Cass?”

Gus wrapped his arms around his oldest friend. He didn’t say anything but JR felt the pure emotion in his embrace. After several moments, Gus moved back a bit.

“Gus, I’ll just go to…” Trevor stood to leave but Gus stopped him.

“Trevor, stay.  You don’t have to ever feel you have to leave when JR and I are talking.  I value your friendship as much as his.  Without you he wouldn’t be as strong for me as he is.” Trevor walked over and sat next to Gus. “I have to admit, I am falling for her. She is so damaged but I see her with Fi and my heart breaks and soars at the same time.  I am going to ask if she wants to be my nanny.  It is time we find our own life.”

JR looked over at Trevor and Trev nodded. “Gus, your dads are having the loft renovated and they plan to give you the house.”

Gus looked at JR. “They are what?”

“They bought the whole building the loft is in. They enlarged the loft so there are two more bedrooms and two more baths.  My dads said they are going to be doing a lot of traveling and with the garden apartment you could hire someone to help with Fi. I hope I didn’t ruin a big surprise.”

“Of course you didn’t. That is perfect.  I love that house.  The kitchen is great and, yes, I can offer Cassandra the job.”

“And she will live in the apartment?” Trevor asked.

“She will until she is ready but no matter what, she will be close and I can watch out for her.”

“Time can mend a broken heart.  It just takes longer than a broken body.” JR said, kissing Gus.

“You are still a good kisser.”

“Gus, I know you are not into our scene but it is still hot when I see you two kiss, probably because I know you are no threat,” Trev purred.

“I know one thing, I miss a good makeout session.”

“So are you telling me you haven’t kissed her yet? I mean a real kiss?” JR questioned.

“One, but she scared herself, I didn’t mean to push her but I think I did.  All I know is Fi will be heartbroken if they are separated.”

“Gus, we are here for you and will do anything you want us to do to help this along.”  The look on JR’s face made Gus a little nervous.

“JR, I trust you but even if she looks strong now, she is still a woman who has been beaten both physically and mentally.  I can’t do anything that would frighten her.”

This time JR kissed Gus long and sensually, “Damn!” Trevor sighed.  “I think it is time to go unpack.”

“I think the only thing you’re going to unback are your dicks. How about we come over about 4:30 and we can make dinner together. You two can unpack your dicks until then.”

Trevor moved over to JR and slid his hand into JR’s pants and between his ass cheeks, “Ah, shit, Gus, I think I have everything we need but I’ll text if I forgot some… JRs lips fixed on Trev’s and Gus slipped away.


Gus wandered back toward the cabin.  He stopped and watched his closest friends stop and kiss once more before they separated and ran hand in hand to their place.  He was so happy JR was so happy.  Trevor loved JR the way Martha had loved him and vice versa.  He turned and walked the remainder of the way, stepped up on the porch and sat down on the swing. This was Martha’s favorite spot on the mountain.  He felt so unfaithful having feelings for Cass.  He knew he shouldn’t.  They had talked about it, when they found out they were expecting Fiona. All they wanted was the best for their child and what was best was a family.  A mother and father was what she needed and Gus could only see them with Cass. 

Gus jumped when he heard the door open and Cass walked out.  “May I join you?”

“Of course! Fi still sleeping?”

“Yes, she was tired after the bee sting.”

“Thank you, again.  You were so good with her today.  Thank you.” 

Cass sat down next to him.  “I have to admit, I didn’t know it would happen but my nerves went haywire when I saw them.  I know JR, and Trevor is very nice but I couldn’t catch my breath and my stomach was in knots.”

“We don’t have to go over for dinner. We can stay here.”

Cass looked at him. “Gus, are you and me we? Fi and you are we.”

Gus looked at her, “What are you going to do when we go back to Pittsburgh?”

Cass stiffened, “I don’t know?”  Fear flooded her face.  I don’t have any money, except what I have from Aiden.  To fly here cost quite a bit and I am sure I could get an apartment but I am just…”  

Gus saw fear flood her face. “Cass, we haven’t talked about your job.”

“I don’t have one.  I had to quit because, well, you know.  He said I didn’t make enough to make it worth the risk.”

Gus’ temper rose, “He really said that?” 

“Well, actually my job was eliminated so he told me I couldn’t find a professional job again. He wanted me to find a cashier job but he kept hitting me and I couldn’t go out in public. I have no idea what I will do when I leave here.”

“Cass, would you be willing to think about moving back into the garden apartment and being Fi’s nanny? My dads are moving back to the loft and plan to travel to Europe.  I can’t do this alone.”

Cass looked at him, “Gus,  are you sure you want that?”

“I am very sure.  If you prefer, you could sleep in my old room.  I do leave really early in the morning so it might be easier for you to sleep in the house.”

“Gus, I … I don’t know what to say.”

“Yes.  Just say yes.”

She took a deep breath and sighed.  “Gus, what if I have a bad day? What if I remember something and panic?”

“Trev and JR would always be willing to help out and Grandma Jenn and Joe can fill in sometimes too.  Fiona loves you so much.  She has lost enough. She loves you. I ...I need you as a nanny.”

“Gus, I love her so much but...is Fi …”

Gus reached out and touched her cheek, “Cas, I won’t lie.  I hope you and I… But I am not pushing..  And if that isn’t what you want I promise, I..”

“Gus, I think ...I can’t trust what I think yet.”

Gus slowly pulled her toward him, giving her time to stop him. Very gently, Gus brought his lips to hers and he put his heart into it. Totally in control, he backed off and let her take over. They barely touched other than their lips but by the time they heard Fi’s little voice they both were in need of so much more.

“We are on the porch, baby doll. Come out the screen door.” Gus saw his daughter push the door open and then she ran into his arms.

As soon as he had her in his arms he noticed her flushed face. At the same time Cass saw her swollen hand. “Oh, sweetie,” she said and touched her forehead. “I think that bee sting is having a side effect. I’ll be right back.” She looked at Gus’ face, “This isn’t totally unusual.” She reached out and touched Gus’ cheek and went into the house.

When she came back to the porch, Gus had Fi curled up on his lap and was talking to her softly. It would be so easy to fall into this family but she knew she had to get healthy first.  “Here, sweetie, let's take more of this medicine and put some more ice on that hand.” The three sat on the swing talking softly for about twenty minutes just keeping an eye on her.

“Daddy, snack time?”

“Sure, baby doll.  Are you feeling better?”  Gus stood with Fi and moved toward the door.  Cass got ahead of them and opened the door.

Fi nodded and said, “Hurts a wittle.”  Cass kissed her cheek as Gus walked past with her.  “Cass, you coming.”

“I am definitely coming.  I know your dad’s snacks are good.” 

All Gus could think about was how much he would like to snack on her.  He needed to distract himself or he would have a big problem staying away from her. Gus grabbed some cookies and a little fruit.  Cass watched Fiona and could tell she was feeling better and she ate her treat and then drank some water. “Miss Fi, you look much better.”

Fi slipped off her chair and moved around to Cass, “Tank you. I feel better.” Cass scooped her up and Fi kissed her.  “Why don’t we go wash your face and I think we are going to JR and Trevor’s house.  Do you want to take some toys along?”

“Yes, please.” Fiona moved to the living room and Cass got up to follow.  

Gus stopped her, “Cass, thank you.  I think you …” Gus stopped himself. He had almost said she was a born mother but she was and she was the only mother he wanted for Fi. He brought her hand to his mouth and kissed it. There was an intimacy in that which had Cass shiver as she followed Fi.


An hour later, Gus was elbow deep in flour and JR was chopping up vegetables.  Fi was out on the back patio with Cass and Trevor.  They were sitting at a table while Fi colored.  Cass also had a coloring book. Trevor, who worked with Justin, was an extremely talented artist, had taken a sketchbook out with him. He started drawing the woman and girl at the table with him.

“So how long have you and JR been married?” Cass asked him when Fi quit chatting.

“Almost three years but we have been together for over six. Justin set us up at a party and I have been thanking him ever since.”

“It is obvious how much you love each other.”

“How could you not love that man?”  Trevor said, smiling at her. “I know I am a total stranger and if you don’t want to talk about it that is fine but my first serious relationship,” he glanced at Fiona, “let’s just say, I left California and have never gone back. It wasn’t nearly as bad as what you went through but…”

Cass looked up at him, “It is bad for anyone in that situation but being here has helped so much.  I don’t know if I would feel safe anywhere else.”

“I remember that feeling.  I went to Pitt because a college friend knew someone who needed a roommate here and if I had gone to anyone my partner had met, he would have tracked me down.”

“That’s what worries me.  If Carl ends up free he will find me.”

“I can promise you, all of us will do anything we can to keep you safe.” Trever’s voice was so sincere, Cass relaxed again.

“I am glad JR found someone so special.”

“I’m the lucky one.”

“Can I see what you are drawing?”

Trev turned the pad around and Cass took in a deep breath, “You are so talented.  You captured Fi so perfectly and you were very kind to me.”

“Cassandra, everytime you look at Fiona, you glow and if I am not mistaken the same is true when you look at Gus.”

“I can’t give him what he needs, not right now.”

Trev reached over and took her hand, “He will wait. He loved Marley but he still has so much love to give.”

“Cassie, look at us!” Fi pointed at Trev’s picture.  “Uncle Trevor always draws pretty pictures.”

“It is very easy when I have beautiful subjects.” Trevor said as he winked at her. Fi giggled.


“JR, we kissed on the front porch swing.  I can tell she is interested but we both know she isn’t ready. God, I don’t know how long… I don’t want to do anything that will create more damage but, I want to hold her and let her know I want her so badly I hurt.”

“She will let you know when she is ready.  Trev did and now that we have everything in the oven, let's open a bottle of wine and bring everyone a drink.  I have a few juice boxes in the fridge.”

“Of course you do.”

“Well, we are going to have at least one sleepover while we are here. Maybe that can be a sleepover for you, too.”

“Of course I would love the sex but right now I just want her to be happy and to feel safe.”

“And it will be worth the wait,” said as he opened a bottle of wine and filled four glasses.

“Damn right it will.” Gus picked up two of the glasses while JR, juice box tucked in his pocket, picked up the other two and together they went out to enjoy the mountain view.