- Text Size +

Chapter 7 


 The last couple days on the mountain went quickly.  Gus noticed Cass get more quiet as the time to leave approached. “Cassie, up please.” Cass picked Fi up. “You sad?” 

“Maybe a little, Fi.” But inside Cass said, I’m not sad. I’m scared to death.

“Baby doll, it is time for you to head to bed.  We have to get up very early to get on the plane.” Gus took Fiona out of Cass’ arms. 

Before Gus moved, Cass kissed Fi, “Goodnight, love.”  Fi waved as Gus carried her up the stairs.

When Gus returned twenty minutes later, Cass was out on the front porch. He walked out and leaned up against a pole. “What’s wrong, Cass? Are you having second thoughts about coming home with us?”

“Gus,” she followed his long, lean body from his bare feet until their eyes met. “I’m scared.  I’m petrified. I have nothing. I don’t even have clothes besides what I’ve been wearing while I was here.  I will never get back my things, not that I had much.  Carl made sure all my special things were destroyed but at least I could have some clothes.”

Gus closed the gap between them and wrapped his arms around her. “We will talk to the lawyer as soon as we get back.  He may be able to get you in or at least get some things you ask for. Cass, anything you need, I’ll get for you.  I want you to feel at home at our place. I want it to be your home.”

“Gus, it’s not just my stuff, it’s …. What if he doesn’t get sent to jail?” Cass began to tremble. 

“Cass, I don’t know what to say that will make you feel better, but always know I am here for you.” Gus kissed her so lightly she wasn’t sure their lips were really touching but when Gus intensified the kiss, Cass knew exactly what she was feeling.

“Gus, I know you will be there to protect me. Well, my heart knows it but my head is having a hard time getting around it.”

“It isn’t just me.  You have Trev and JR.  You have my dads and JR’s. You have a family now, whether you want it or not.”

Cass held on to him for a few more moments. “I need to finish packing a few things. Thanks, Gus.”

“For what?”

“For being my rock all these weeks.”

“Ah, Cass…” he stopped.  “Let’s get inside.”

At the bottom of the steps Cass moved to Gus and by the time they separated and went to their own rooms, Gus really hoped Victor had gotten Cass into the specialist he had talked to.  He wanted her so bad but he would never risk hurting her if she wasn’t ready. As he listened to Fiona’s breathing, he started getting excited about settling into their new place.  He could already picture her in Aiden’s old room and at least for now Cass would move into his old room. His thoughts moved to Marley. Martha, my heart still misses you every minute of every day but, my love, she is perfect for Fi and me. Please be happy for us. As Gus drifted off, the last thing he remembered was smelling Martha’s favorite perfume and a voice popped into his head, my love, I am happy.

Brian spent a couple days at Kinnetik and Company.  There was a Board Meeting and as the president of the Board, he was in charge. The biggest news was Ted Schmitt was retiring.  They had picked his replacement and they expected no issues.  Ted would be available for the next year to answer any questions.

While Brian was at the meeting, Justin was adding a few touches to the remodeled loft and he began to plan the route of their European trip.  They would go from Aiden’s in Bordeaux to Spain.  He found a couple spots on a bed and breakfast site that were not the typical tourist traps.  From Spain they would go to Morocco before going back to Aiden’s for a family weekend.  They would then go home before winter set in.  Aiden would be there a couple years for sure so they knew they would go back and see more countries later.

Justin was deep in thought when Brian arrived home.  With the remodel, they had put in a new elevator and it was so quiet that sometimes they didn’t even hear it.  Today was one of those times. Brian’s arm wrapped around Justin from behind and he kissed him below his ear. “You shouldn’t be here.  Brian will be home anytime.”

“Haha,” Brian said as Justin turned to accept a kiss.

“How’d the Board meeting go?”

“We agreed on a nice retirement package for Ted and they officially accepted the new COO. What are you up to?”

“I found places for us to stay in Spain and Morocco.”

As Brian’s hand traveled down Justin’s chest and into his lap, “With lots of privacy I hope.”

“They are all very remote with very few people nearby.”

“Perfect. When is Gus’ plane coming in?”

“About 2:00 tomorrow. I can’t wait to get Fiona in my arms. We will only be here for a few days before we leave again.” Justin stood and turned to Brian.

“I guess she will just have to spend that time with us.  Aiden will want that time too and it might be good for Gus and Cass to start adjusting.”

Justin kissed him, “I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little worried.”

“About?”

“How Cass is adjusting? She went through a lot. And what will happen to her husband? Will it be safe for Fi and Gus if he doesn’t get locked up?”

“I’ve already talked to the lawyer and with the security company.  The lawyer said there is very little chance he will get off.  After hearing all those messages on her phone, he will probably take a plea deal. He feels he will go away at least a few years but if he somehow gets off, we will have them guarded until he is forced to leave.”

“Bri,” he stopped, “don’t you think that is a little simplified? If he gets off we can’t have protection for them all the time for the rest of their lives.”

“Justin, if he gets out it would only be a matter of time before he tries something and the officer in charge, who knows Carl well, said he would not be able to resist trying something soon.”

“Is that supposed to make me feel better?”

“It just means it won’t take long for him to fuck up.”

“Not helping here, Brian.”

“If they need to get away, they can come here.  This place would be easier to control.” Brian looked at Justin’s face and kissed him, as his hands moved to rest on Justin’s ass. “Can I distract you?” He slipped a hand into the waistband.

“You just might be able to.”


Trevor and JR followed Gus, Cass, and Fiona down the mountain.  They turned in the rentals and checked in for their flight.  As they waited for the flight, Fiona talked non stop about seeing her grandpas and Aiden.  Gus knew once she saw them she would want to go home with them.  She didn’t totally understand what was going on with the living situation but she knew Brian, Justin, and Aiden were living somewhere else.  Gus had already said if it came to that, she could go home with them.  Ted would be there for JR and Trevor.  Victor was with Raymond and his girlfriend.

Ray, along with Aiden for moral support, had talked to Ted and Victor and as soon as they heard Ray’s news, Victor got Charita into his schedule so today, while Victor checked to see how far along she was, Ted would pick up JR and Trev and they all should end up back at the house about the same time. Ted planned to let JR know what was going on with his brother.  Ray was so confused but, even though they weren’t as close anymore, he respected his brother’s advice.

After hugs all around Gus and his family left with Brian and Justin while Ted helped load his car and with JR in the passenger seat, the three pulled out.  After a little catching up, JR said, “So are you going to tell me what you’re not telling me?”  JR reached over and put a hand on Ted’s shoulder.  “Do I need to prepare myself? No one is sick are they?”

“No, nothing like that.  Ray came and stayed overnight with Aiden this week and the next morning, Ray told us Charita is pregnant.”

“Oh, damn, Ray’s not ready for a family.”

“No, and he knows it. Victor is checking her over right now and I think the three of them will be here for dinner. It is possible Charita won’t be here but Ray and your dad will be there.  We are hoping you can come for dinner. Either I can drop you off and you can drive over or you can come home with me now and I’ll drive you home later.”

JR looked back at Trev. Trev responded,  “Let’s go home and unpack. Do you have dinner planned?”

Ted kept his eye on the road and said, “I was just going to order something.”

“We will be at your place at about 6:00 with dinner.  I know I have some meals made in the freezer and I think one of them is the chicken Raymond likes so much.  Has he told our mom?”

“Not yet. He will soon.  It might help if you are there to support him.”

“We’ll figure it out,” JR said as they pulled up in front of Trevor and JR’s house.  “By the way, Dad, congratulations on your retirement.  You deserve this.”

“Thanks, now we just have to convince Vic to close up shop.”

Trev smiled at Ted, “Do you think he will ever do that?”

“I think he will slow down.  He said he isn’t taking anymore patients but he does want to go into research.  He wants to keep on working for a cure for Aiden’s disease, even if at this point it may not be as helpful to Aid.”

“I can see Dad doing that.” JR pulled the last of the luggage out of the back. “We’ll see you in a couple hours.”

Ted said goodbye and waved as he drove away.  As soon as the men carried the luggage into the house Trevor took ahold of JR’s hand. “JR, are you thinking what I’m thinking?”

“That my little brother has a big problem?”

“Well, maybe your brother might have a solution for us?”

“Damn, I hadn’t even thought that part through.”

“JR, this might be exactly what we were hoping for and it will cut down on the cost. I know you were already worrying about the cost of a surrogate. I would pay anything for a baby with you but …”

“Sweetheart,” JR put his arms around Trevor, “Please don’t get your hopes up.  I love my brother but he can be a little erratic and you know he isn’t a fan of me being gay.  I am not sure he would let his child be raised by us.”

“He loves you, JR.”

“I know he does and he loves Ted and Victor.  He just is uncomfortable with it. Ray just always felt more at home with Mom once her life was straightened out.” JR kissed him, “Let’s get dinner in the oven and then unpack the suitcases and…”

“Then you’ll pack me?”

JR pinched his crotch hard enough to make Trevor squirm and then grow so hard his cock throbbed. “You know I love it when you get rough.”

“Well, you get a load of laundry and then strip.  Put a big butt plug in there and we will see what we can do about this.” He gave Trevor’s cock one more squeeze before heading to the kitchen. Fifteen minutes later JR walked into the bedroom to find Trevor had handcuffed himself bent over to the foot end of the bed totally naked with his ass in the air.  JR had to smile.  Trevor liked to play rough from time to time.

“Trev, I thought I said a big plug.” He started pulling the long thin one in and out as he pulled on Trevor’s balls. Trevor shivered and JR pulled out the plug that was in there before he positioned himself behind his husband and then plunged his massive dick in until his pelvis was pushing against Trevor’s ass. Trevor cried out from the pain and yet he nearly lost his load. JR grabbed the foot end of the bed on either side of Trevor and, with all the force he could manage he thrust into Trevor, who cried out loudly. JR bit his neck lightly and, then, he softly said, “With a child in the house you would have to be quiet.”

“Oh, god,”  Trev said as JR continued to move in and out, “guess you will just have to use a ball gag.” 

“Shit,” JR lost his load deep in his husband. “Just the thought of the gag was more than I could deal with. He reached around Trevor and roughly grabbed his cock. Just the feel of JR’s hand on his cock Trev shot cum onto the floor between his feet. “Good thing we have hardwood,” JR laughed as he wiped up the puddle and then went and found the key to the cuffs and let Trev loose.

Trev turned and kissed JR. “That was amazing but, damn, I thought I was going to split open. You know your dads will know what we were doing. I’m not going to walk normally for three days.”

“My dads will just know we love each other.” JR took Trevor in his arms and ran his mouth over his  jawline and, when their lips met, their tongues began to dance. After several minutes they were both groping again. “Damn, we don’t have time for another round. How about a quick shower and then I need to check on dinner.” Trevor responded by taking a step away and then wiggled his ass, JR following with a wolf whistle.


Justin sat next to Fiona in the back seat. “Papa, I miss you SO much.  Hug!”

“Sorry, Fi, but we can’t hug you when you are in the car seat.  I can hold your hands and nibble on them.” He brought her hand to his mouth and kissed each finger and Fi giggled.

“Did you miss me?” Brian asked from the driver’s seat.

“I miss you too, Ganpa.”

“Would you like to go home with your grandpas for the night?”

“Home?”

“Remember they live somewhere new?”

Fi sat with a puzzled look.  

Cass took Fiona’s other hand and said, “Sweetie, if you don’t like their new house your dad and I will pick you up but I am sure you will love their place because you love them.” She smiled over Fi at Justin who winked back.

“Of course, you’ll love it, baby doll.”

Since the loft was closer than the house, Brian dropped Justin off with a sleepy Fiona and then headed toward the house. “Brian, can you tell me what is going on with my case?”

“Well, I can’t tell you a lot more than you have already heard.  I can tell you that he is coming here tomorrow at 10:00 if that works for you.  He will tell you what is going on.”

“And he is coming here?”

Brian nodded. “He thought it would be better if he came here.  Your ex…”

“He isn’t my ex yet.” Cass said with a little nervousness.

“He will be soon.  Remember you signed a paper about starting a divorce? Well, he didn’t waste any time starting the procedure and since the case is as strong as it is, and the judge in charge of your divorce used to work with Mel, it should be completely processed in a couple months.  90 days is required but when Carl gets sent to prison, the papers will be signed and it will just be a matter of time.”

Gus glanced in the back seat and saw Cass’ face going into fear and as soon as Brian pulled into the drive and stopped, Gus got out of the SUV and opened Cass’ door, taking her into his arms. Brian pulled out the bags and, after they were near the door he walked over to Gus and Cass.  “Got one of those for me?” he asked Cass and she turned and let Brian wrap his arms around her.

“Thank you for doing all you’ve done,” Cass said as Gus started moving bags into the house.

“Cass, Justin and I both can tell that you are just what Gus needs and it is obvious how much you love Fi.”

“She is so perfect. How could you not love her?”

“You don’t have to convince me. I love that little, sassy girl.  But, now I need to show Gus the new security and then, speaking of that little girl, I need to get lots of kisses and hugs from her. I’m a couple months behind.” He put a hand on the small of her back and guided her toward the door.

Ten minutes later, Gus and Cass were alone in the house. Cass wandered into the kitchen area and saw a new paint color. “I love the new look.  It is so peaceful.”

“I really like it, too.  It is a great place to cook.  When they did the upgrades they let me pick the stove but I had no idea they were going to give me the place.” He walked over and pulled the refrigerator door open. “I will get groceries tomorrow.  I’m glad JR and I decided to wait to reopen until after the weekend.  It gives us all a chance to get back into a groove.”

“Gus, if you help me get the bags upstairs, I will start the wash.  I know we did most of it at the cabin but there is one bag of clothes that still needs to be done.” 

“Cass, you don’t need to do that.”

“I want to and remember I am working for you.”

Gus pulled her close, “I like to think that it is more than a job,” he kissed her gently.  They each grabbed a couple bags and carried them upstairs. Gus stopped at the master bedroom and opened the doors. “Wow,” was all he could say.  Brian and Justin had gotten a painter to come in and had the room redone.  It had a deep teal green on the wall behind the bed and then the walls  got lighter until the walk opposite was a taupe.  The bedding was a sapphire blue with a couple pillows on the bed that were the same taupe as the opposite wall.  There was an oversized chair by the fireplace and a small table by the balcony door. “They really outdid themselves.”

“You hadn’t seen this?” Cass said, loving the feel of his arm draped over her shoulders.

“No, I bet this is barely dried. I wonder what they did to Fi’s room.”  Together they walked next door. There was a whimsical treehouse along with a cabin in the mountains.  “He had to have been working on this since they got home.”

“Fiona is going to love this room.  She enjoyed the mountain so much.” Cass said, hugging Gus tightly.

“If they did this much I wonder what they did in your room?”  Gus guided her down the hall and they opened the room Gus used the last time Cass was around. 

As the door was opened Cass’ eyes welled up.  “It is so beautiful.” The soft rose walls were inviting and felt so peaceful.  Two walls were the soft rose while one was the color of a chardonnay while the last one was a very soft pink.  The bedding was a watercolor floral and there was an overstuffed chair in front of the TV that was perfect to curl up and read a book in. “Are you sure you wouldn’t rather I stay in the apartment?”

“I kind of wish my dads didn’t make this room so inviting. I would rather you share my room.”

“Gus, I…”

“I’m sorry, Cassie.  I am not pushing you.  I just know that,” he ran his hand through her hair, “I love you and want you but you can take as much time as you need.”

“Gus, do you mind if I take a little time to settle in?”

Gus kissed her. “Take as much time as you need.  I will put something together for dinner.”

Gus had barely left the room when Cass pulled out her phone and called her doctor’s office.  After talking to a nurse, as she unpacked, her phone rang. She saw it was from her doctor’s office and answered, “Dr. Franz, thank you so much for calling me back.”

“How are you, Cassandra ? I was worried about you.”

“Dr. Franz, is there any reason I shouldn’t have sex,” she blurted.

“Oh, dear, you are not going back to Carl, are you? He nearly killed you last time.”

“No, doctor, I found a place to relax and heal and in the meantime, ran into someone I cared about long ago and…”

“Your body will let you know if it is ready.  Take it slow and you should be just fine but I would like to see you soon.  I am sure you want to know if you have healed well enough to have a child.”

“I will call the office tomorrow and make an appointment.  Do you think I can get in this week?”

Dr. Franz was silent for a moment and then said, “Call in the morning but I will leave a message for them to get you in before the end of the week.  I should have something.”

“Thank you, Dr. Franz.”

“I’m just sorry I didn’t get you out of there before…”

“You tried.  I was just stupid.” They ended the call and Cass walked down the hall to Gus’ room and opened the night stand by the bed.  She was hoping Brian and Justin might have stocked the drawer with condoms but to her surprise there was a box of them but with a note from Aiden.  “Bro, you loved Marley with all your heart but somewhere in there your first love had some space.  Now, Marley would want you to turn that around.  She will always have a place in your heart but she would want you and Fi to love Cass. Love her, bro.”

Cass felt like she just overstepped but she had to smile, too.  Aiden was always so wise beyond his years.  She had a hard time believing he was off to med school in France. She loved this family so much and yes, she was in love with Gus and tonight, she wanted to make love with him. 

“Cass, dinner is ready.”

“Coming, Gus.” She walked out the doors and pulled them shut. She paused at the top of the steps and then walked down.


“Hey, Ray, good to see you!  I am so glad you could be here tonight.” JR hugged his brother and felt Ray hold onto him. “Did you want to talk?”

Ray looked at him. “You know?”

“I do. I am just going to throw the meal in the oven.  It needs another 30 minutes. Why don’t you get Ted and Victor and we can talk before we eat?”

“Sure,” Ray followed JR into the kitchen and Trevor followed.

“I am happy to say Charita is very healthy and doing well.”

“She is telling her mom right now.  She and I aren’t together anymore but I won’t desert her. Thanks for looking at her, Victor.”

“Son, I will take care of her, you know that.  Because she is as far along as she is, we don’t have a lot of options.”

“I don’t think she would ever have an abortion anyway but we know we can’t raise a baby.  We plan to go to the agency Victor told us about. I hope she can tomorrow.”

The timer went off and JR and Trevor went into the kitchen. 

After they walked out of the room, Ted chuckled, “Looks like they had some fun between arriving home and coming here.  He looks like he is in pain.”

“Well, at least he appears to have had fun.” Victor started to pull Ted close but stopped.  He knew Ray was watching them closely.

“Sorry.  I know you are still uncomfortable around our kind of love.” Victor at times pushed him  a bit. “You know we love each other. JR and Trevor are one of the most loving stable couples I have met.”

“I know and I am glad Justin introduced them. I know it is stupid but I just… I try, I really do.”


They spoke softly. “She’s further along than I thought.”

“Yes, are we still going to do this?” Trev asked.

“Darling, are you sure you are ready for this?”

“Oh,yes,” Trevor kissed JR.  JR forgot about the food for a moment until the sauce on the stove bubbled and spit hot gravy on his arm.

“Shit!” JR quickly wiped off his arm.  He added a little of the juice off of the meat and finished the glossy mixture, and poured it into a small pitcher.  “Ok, guys, dinner is ready.”  As his brother and dads walked in he said, “Did we miss anything?”

“Just about you pounding the hell out of Trevor,” Raymond said.

“Well, do you blame me when he has an ass like that?” JR asked as he handed a couple plates to Trev and grabbed the last items and put all the food on the table to be served family style.

The men all filled their plates and began to eat the succulent meat along with the grave drizzled over it and the mounds of creamy mashed potatoes.  “JR, this is so delicious.  If you ever have extra time we would love a few meals for the freezer again,” Ted said as he ate a roasted brussel sprout. 

“Well, I was planning to do a bunch tomorrow before going back to work next week. I’ll just double it.”

“That would be great,” Victor said. “Ted will be here alone for about a month so it will be nice to know he will eat well.”

“Ted, why don’t you go to France, too?” Ray asked.

“Because I am still working part time and now with a baby on the way, I will be here to support you in any way I can.”

Ray sat silently for a minute, “You don’t have to do that.  My mom and Rita’s mom are around.”

“But Raymond, you are one of my sons.  I need to be here.” Ted reached over and squeezed his hand.

“And I hope to be back before the day but if not my colleague will be there for you.”

“You guys, really, I haven’t deserved all this.  I mean, I have left here so many times.”

“But, bro, you know they will always be here for you and Trev and I have a question for you.”  Ray looked at his brother as JR took Trevor’s hand.  “We would love to adopt your baby.  We talked about it while we were away and had decided to start looking into the best way to receive a child and we got home and… I know you can’t make the decision but will you talk to Charita about it?”

Ray went completely stiff. He looked at JR. “I … I don’t think Rita will go for that. I think…”

“Ray,” JR tensed and stood. He looked down at Trevor extending his hand. “Dads, I’m sorry.  I am not feeling very well all of the sudden. I will talk to you tomorrow.” He then turned and looked at his brother, “Obviously letting a stranger adopt your child is better than letting your brother and his husband adopt your child.” Spinning around JR and Trevor left the room. 

Victor stood but Ted was a step ahead. “I’ll go.” He nodded his head toward Ray and Victor nodded back. Ted rushed out the front door where JR paced while Trevor tried to calm him down.

“Baby, we have to give him time.  This is all new to him and he…” Ted touched Trevor’s shoulder and walked over to JR.  Ted reached out and wrapped his arms around JR. JR began to throw his arms off but when his eyes locked with Ted’s he held onto him tightly and let the anger drain out of his body.


Victor and Ray stood in the dining room. “Vic, I didn’t mean to trigger him.  He took me by surprise.  How did I know they were thinking about getting a kid?”

“Ray, I am not trying to pressure you.  Of course this is all a surprise and the pregnancy is unplanned.  Are you against them raising your child? Any child?”

“Victor, this is… I don’t…. I can’t think.” Ray was going to back away but Victor put an arm around Ray's shoulder. “I didn’t mean to upset him. I really didn’t. I don’t know how I feel.” Ray dropped into a chair. “I am supposed to be all excited about starting college and now all I can think about is knowing I got Charita knocked up and neither of us want to be a parent.”

“Ray, this has to be your choice, you and Charita need to talk it through but someday you may wish you could see your child and you know your brother would be an amazing father.”

“But my mom, she is so great.  I don’t know what I would do without her.”

“Well, Ray, your mom is great but how hard was it for her to have different men in and out.  I know she is now in a great marriage but two parents that love each other is the best thing a child could have. JR will come around and realize you need time but I think the fact they want a child and together they aren’t able to create their own. Just think about it.  Process it and talk to Charita.”

“I will, Vic. I really will.”


“JR,” Ted said once the younger man calmed down. “Give your brother time to think everything through.  Ray has always needed time to think everything through completely.  All of this has taken him for a loop.”

‘I know, Dad, but we are trying to help.”

“I know you are and I know how much you want a child to love. Ray needs to process all of this and has to adjust to everything.  You know your brother has a big heart but he has always needed time to think out everything. And just know, if it doesn’t work out, your dad and I will be here every step of the way. We can’t wait to be granddads.”

“Thanks, Dad. Can you apologize to Ray for me? Tell him to call if he needs anything.”

“I will.  We love you, JR.  We love both of you so much.” Ted kissed JR and then hugged and kissed Trevor.  “Whatever child or children you end up with, will be perfect for you and they will be so blessed.”

As JR and Trevor drove away, Ted entered the house to talk to his other son.  He found him along with Vic cleaning up the kitchen.  He walked up behind them and put his arms around both Victor and Ray. He put his head on Ray’s shoulder, “Ray, JR is sorry that went the way it did.  He didn’t mean to pressure you.”

“I know that.  I just can’t make any decisions today.  First of all, I can’t make this choice but, damn it, I don’t know why I feel like this. You two were great and Brian and Justin, well of course they were good parents but…”  Victor and Ted didn’t say anything for a moment. “Fuck! Say something.”

“Ray,” Victor said calmly, “You are now a man and you will need to make your own decisions. Whatever Charita and you decide, we are here for you just like we are here for your brother.  You have to be comfortable with your choice.”

“But what if JR and Trevor…”

“They will accept your choice but think about the child.  What will be best for the baby?”

Ray turned into Ted’s arms and Victor held onto both of them. “I’m scared.  I was so stupid.  I feel sorry for Charita. She has to go through all the real shit. I know we don’t love each other but I’ll do whatever she needs.  Vic, I will pay you back for whatever it costs.  I…”

“My boy, don’t worry about that.  We will take care of her together. You are a mature man knowing you aren’t ready. You and Charita will figure this out.” Victor kissed the boy’s cheek.

“I know you have a mom and a great stepfather now but never doubt, you have a home here and we love you so much.” Ted kissed his other cheek.  “Why don’t you call your mom and just stay here tonight?”

“Thanks, I think I will.” He looked from one to the other and then softly said, “I know I haven’t always shown it but, I love you guys.”

“We know you do.” Ted smiled at him. “Let’s finish this clean up and then watch a movie while we eat more of JR’s dessert!”


“Aidie, Ganpa, Papa, we done playing?”

“You, my love, need to go to bed.” Brian said. They were exhausted. She never stopped. 

“I not tired.” She fought back a yawn.

“Fi, don’t you like your new room here?”

“I not know it.” She shrugged, putting her palms up.

Brian pulled her onto his lap, “Do you think you would be able to sleep in papa and my room?”  She nodded.  “Alright, love.  I usually don’t sleep with beautiful girls but as long as your papa can sleep there, too, I think I will make an exception this time.”

“Well, if you don’t mind, I think I will sleep in my own room.” Aiden lifted Fiona off of his dad’s lap and kissed her.“Tomorrow morning you and I have a date.  First we will go to the park and then  get some ice cream.” 

Fi hugged Aiden’s neck.  “FUN!” Aiden handed Fi to Justin and kissed first Justin and then Brian before disappearing into his new room. 

Brian slipped his arm around Justin’s waist and kissed his temple, “Let’s get to bed.  I’m tired.”


Gus and Cass ate a simple stew he had thrown together and cleaned up the kitchen together.  “Gus, did you and Marley cook together?” Cass asked as she put the dishes back in the cupboard.

Gus smiled at a memory, “We didn’t very often at the house.  We were great together at the bakery but  at home it was usually one or the other. At home we didn’t seem to agree.” He laughed, “So we took turns here.  The only time we cooked together at home was for a family dinner.  Then we worked as one. I remember the year she was expecting Fiona,” his voice drifted off.  “We kept bumping into each other because of her big belly. She was so beautiful.” He snapped out of it, “I’m sorry, Cass, you didn’t need to hear that?”

“I didn't need to but I’m glad I did.  You aren’t going to forget her and you shouldn’t.  She is Fi’s mom.  I am not jealous of a woman who lost her life.” She turned to him and put her arms around his neck. Bringing her mouth to his ear she softly said, “I love you, Gus.  Please make love to me. I want to make love, long and hard. Make me scream for all the best reasons in the world and none of the bad.”

“Cass, remember we were going to be careful until…”

“I thought we were going to take it easy until…”

“I talked to my doctor and he told me as long as there isn’t pain, I am healed enough for any sex you can throw my way.” She grinned at him.

“Oh, that is a challenge if I have ever heard one.”  He threw her over his shoulder and carried her upstairs. The next two hours they made love. Rolling around in the sheets and tangling their legs. He had started by slowly undressing her and then he made sure he kissed every inch of the scars on her body.  When he had finished, Cass explored his body.  She had felt safe in the mountains but here, in this house, she felt something different.  This one of the few places in her life she felt at home.

By the time Cass was done exploring every inch of Gus’ body, Gus and Cass were both frantic to feel more.  Cass grabbed a condom and slipped it on Gus.  As Gus positioned himself and then thrust into her, she screamed and Gus froze, “Oh, Cass, did I hurt you?”

“No, Gus, you freed me. I love you.  You are what true love has always meant to me.” With that Gus began to move, strong and fast and as began to shudder uncontrollably, Gus thrust a couple more times before it was his turn to cry out.

Ten minutes later they lay together.  “So I didn’t hurt you?”

“Oh, darling, no! Damn, I owe Marley a lot.  She must have had skills that…”

Gus tightened his arms around her, “Do you mind if we don’t talk about her right now.  I am so glad you are willing to but right now, I only want to think about you and what a happy family we are going to be.  As soon as your divorce is final, will you marry me?”

“Oh, yes, Gus.  Do you think the judge in Carl’s case will marry us right after  he sends him to prison?”

“I love the way you think, Cass.”  With that Gus began to skim a hand down her body and when he found her hot, wet core he began to gently stroke her and brought her to peak after peak until she begged him to stop as she let herself ride the wave back to normal breathing.

They both settled into their pillows and as they both fell asleep, Gus knew this was the beginning of the rest of his life and Fiona’s. As he slipped off to sleep, a gentle breeze moved over his shoulder and he pulled the sheet over Cass’ shoulder.