- Text Size +

Chapter 8

Gus woke up and reached for Cass.  He pulled her toward him as he moved closer to her.  Yes, they had slept together a few nights at the cabin but this house was their house. This was going to be their home. Her warm back against his chest made him come alive. She rolled over and pressed her body against him.  He loved the way she felt against him.  She had gained a little weight and he loved the way she looked and felt. “Good morning gorgeous,” she said as she brought her mouth to his.  He put his hand behind her head and crushed her mouth but as he did he felt her tense.  

Gus loosened his hold on her.  “I am so sorry, Cassie.  I didn’t mean to…”

“Gus, I’m alright.  You are so amazing. The second I tensed you realized it and let up.”

“I won’t do it again.” 

“Please, don’t say that.  There will be a day when I need that kind of love and I know you would never hurt me.  But if I have a reaction I can’t control, I know you realize it. Can we try this again?”

Gus nodded and with as much passion but a little less force he pulled her close and this time she melted against him. With one hand she groped backward and soon had a condom in her hand. Soon the package was thrown to the side and as Gus positioned himself above her she slipped the condom on and he sank into her.


“Papa, Aidie go to park?”

Justin woke to Fi leaning over him, a hand on each side of his face. “Oh, Fiona, I don’t think the sun is even up yet.”

Brian let out a grunt from the other side of the bed. “Ganpa, awake?” Fi crawled over to Brian and gave him a sloppy kiss on the mouth. 

“How does she do it?” Brian grumbled. 

Justin turned on his side and watched them together. “She’s two.”

“Fiona, why don’t you go see if Aiden is awake or better yet, see if his bed is comfortable.  You need to sleep for a while.  It is too early for you to be awake for the day.” Brian kissed her and set her on the floor.  Within seconds she was knocking on Aid’s door.

Justin slid across the bed and put his arms around Brian who rested his head on Justin’s shoulder. Neither of them said anything for several minutes. They just absorbed each other’s warmth as they first stroked each other’s bare skin and then they linked fingers. 

“What are you thinking about, Justin?”

“I am just wondering if this is the right time to go on a European vacation. Maybe we should just get Aiden settled and come back.”

Brian looked at him, “No.” he said with conviction. “Gus and Cass have things under control. Aiden will thrive.  You and I, we need time together.  We need to remember why we love each other. It has been a very long time since it has just been the two of us.”

“I remember what I love,” Justin’s hand moved down to Brian’s cock.

“I hope that isn’t all you love about me.”

Justin’s hands both moved to Brian’s face and looked deeply in his hazel brown eyes.  “Brian Kinney, it is your soul that touches me and that I have loved since I fell for you up in that mountain cabin. I love your body but it is just a shell without your heart.” Justin moved agonizingly slowly until their lips met and as their tongues reached out they danced to a tune only they could hear.

Brian slowly turned until Justin was now under him, “I love you, Justin Taylor. Your fucking amazing body pulled me in but once you stole my heart, I just want to be where you are.”


“Aidie, you wake?” Fi stood next to the bed, peaking over the mattress. “Up, please.”

Barely awake, Aiden reached down and scooped Fi up, dropping her next to him. “Fi, why are you already up?” He was a bit terse and her little face started to crumble. “Oh, Fifi, don’t cry.  I’m sorry, sweetie.  I am not always the fun uncle this early in the morning.”

Fiona looked at him and then snuggled under his blankets with him.  “You going bye bye soon?”

“I am, Fi. I am going to college.”

“I miss you so much.” She wrapped her arms around his neck.

“Oh, Fi, I will miss you, too.  We can talk on the phone.”

“I see you?”

“Sure! We will try to talk on video calls as often as we can.”

“We go to the park?”

“Can we sleep for a little while first?”

“Ok, I love you, Aidie.”

Aiden pulled her close. “I love you, too, Fi.”

Fi curled up in her uncle’s arm and fell asleep.


Cass came downstairs ready for her lawyer.  Gus had made a coffee cake and a pot of coffee. She walked over and kissed his cheek.  “This smells so good.”

“This is something we plan to start selling at the bakery.  Cass, I would like to sit with you and the lawyer.  I won’t say anything but I want to hear what he has to say about Carl and your divorce.”

Cass got quiet as she poured herself a cup of coffee.  Gus turned toward her and put his arms around her from behind. “What are you thinking, Cassie?”

“The lawyer knows some things that you might not.  I am not trying to hide anything.  I just don’t want you to feel like I was keeping something from you. I’m just afraid you might…” she took a deep breath, “You might be grossed out by some of the things we did.”

“Cass, I love you.  Nothing he made you do is your fault.”

Cass set her cup down and turned to face him. “Would you be disgusted if I told you I liked some of the things we did? I’m not talking about when he hurt me but sometimes we did things that were kind of gross but I enjoyed it.  Carl is telling people I liked stuff he did to me and he’s right. He just didn’t know when to quit. He wanted to hurt me, not just pleasure me.”

“Well, love, I have no idea what could be so gross and if you got pleasure from it, I want to know what it was so I can make you feel that way.” The doorbell rang.  “I’ll bring him in here.  Why don’t you cut the cake and get a couple more cups.”  Gus kissed her cheek and headed toward the door.

“Mr. Phillips, thank you so much for helping Cass with this.”

“Your mom helped me out of enough tight situations. It sounds like she is doing well.”

“Ya, I don’t see her often living on the opposite coast but we try to do a video call so she can see my daughter at least once a month.  We have coffee and a snack in the kitchen.  I hope you don’t mind being casual.”

“Sounds good. I really think we are going to do all this without going to court,” Mr. Phillips said and then took a deep breath.  “I forgot you ran a bakery for a minute.  It smells amazing here.”

“Mr. Phillips, this is Cass. She had the unfortunate experience of being married to that vile man.”

Cass extended her hand and he shook it. “Thank you for taking my case.” Cass was very timid around this man she didn’t know.

“Cass, I have seen all the messages he sent and I have seen your medical records. What he did to you was unforgivable. We expect him to take the plea deal.  It would put him away for eight to ten years, getting out in about five.”

“That doesn’t sound like a lot of time.  Is that the best to expect?” Gus questioned.

Mr. Phillips turned to Cass, “If you really want to go through the whole trial, he might get another year or so but I can’t believe you want to relive all that in public.”

“I don’t.  No one would hear any of it?”

“Only the judge will see it.  He will review the file and then sentence him.”

“Would I have to face Carl?”

“You would have to be there and answer a few questions but it would be a closed courtroom.” Mr. Phillips said, watching Gus put his arm around Cass.

“That is fine with me.  I know it will make the news because Carl is with the police but I don’t want everything to be public.”

“Mr. Phillips, do we know when this will occur?” Gus asked.

“I don’t have an exact date but it might be within the next two weeks. The judge had another big case get settled so he is hoping Carl agrees to the plea deal and he can wrap this up.”

“Is he still out on bail?”

“He is but he has an ankle monitor on and as far as I know they have know idea you are back in town. Does he know about your connection?”

“Not really.  He thinks the Taylor Kinney’s are in my past.”

“But now they are definitely your future.” Gus kissed her.

“It is good to see you so happy.  Your mom has worried about you.”

They continued to talk for a few more minutes as they each had a little more coffee cake and a little more coffee. And then Mr. Phillips got up to go back to work. “I will let you know as soon as the judge locks down a date.”

They walked him to the door and then they were alone waiting for her doctor’s appointment that afternoon.


Aiden and Fiona played at the park for a couple hours before returning to the loft.  He had promised Fi after she woke up from a nap, he would take her for ice cream so she had eaten lunch and gone down for a nap. Aiden helped put away the lunch stuff with Justin.  “So Aid, do you have your boxes packed to ship ahead?”

“I do.  Are they picking it up in the morning?”

“Yes.  That way it will be there by the time you get there.”

Aiden slipped his arms around his dad’s waist. “I am going to miss you and Dad so much.” Justin tightened his arms around his son. 

“We are going to miss you, too.” He kissed his cheek.  “You aren’t having any second thoughts are you?”

“No, I’m really not.  I am excited to go there but you and dad and Fi, she is going to change so much.”

“She will probably make Gus call you a couple times a week.”

“Yes, and I will miss the love blooming. I am so glad they found each other again.”

Justin kissed him again, “So am I.  She is a perfect fit for both Gus and Fi.”


The next two weeks flew.  Aiden and Victor were flying out the next morning and Brian and Justin would follow in a few days.  They were able to adjust their tickets so they could be here for the hearing with the judge and then leave the next day and they would still be with Aiden a week before his classes started.

The night before the hearing, Fiona went to Great Grandma Jenn’s house.  Gus wanted to be able to go to the courthouse and not worry about her. Jenn and Joe would take great care of her. And it gave Gus and Cass some alone time.  Cass spent most nights in her room.  She knew it was silly but until Carl was locked away and the divorce was final, she didn’t want to have to lie if she was asked about the sleeping arrangements but it was getting harder and harder to sleep alone. 

Now that the hearing was tomorrow, Cass wanted to be with Gus.  She had had a weird feeling all day.  When they had come home from Jenn and Joe’s she had felt like someone had been at the house while they were gone.  She didn’t know why.  The house looked fine and the security system hadn’t been activated and nothing showed on the cameras.  Well, there had been a guy on the street but it was a public road where people always walked. She didn’t mention it to Gus. She was just jumpy.

Gus had forgotten his wallet at the bakery so he left to go pick it up and he was going to bring back some bread or rolls for them to eat for dinner along with the creamy chicken soup she had made.  She had set the table and as she lit a couple candles, she heard something and waited to hear the garage door going up but it didn’t happen.  She was freaking herself out.  She moved to the front door and looked out just as Gus drove up.  As the garage door went up, Cass moved to the door between the garage and the house and ran out to meet him.  

“Well, I didn’t expect this kind of greeting.  I’ve been gone less than an hour.” Gus wrapped his arms around her.  He could feel her shiver.  “What is it, Cassie? What happened?”

“I don’t think anything happened but I have freaked myself out. I was sure I heard a noise about three minutes ago but the alarm didn’t go off so it just had to be my imagination.” She kissed him. “Did you get your wallet?”

“And they had some of your favorite cream cheese danish. I thought you’d enjoy that in the morning.”

“I love you, Gus Kinney.” She kissed him as she walked to the stove and stirred the pot.  Are you ready to eat?”

“I am.  That smells amazing.”

“It is one of my favorites but I wasn’t allowed to make it.  It’s my grandmother’s recipe.”

“I promise I will never tell you not to make it.” Gus picked up the pot and carried it to the table.  They talked while they ate and after cleaning up, Gus poured them each a glass of wine and they sat on the sofa.  “It won’t be long and it will be cool enough to start the fireplace.”

“Gus, do you think by then I will be divorced?”

“I am hoping you will be free before then.”

“Well it has to be at least another three weeks. That will be ninety days.”

“Well, I have no idea why we shouldn’t continue getting to know each other better.” Gus slipped his hand under the bottom of her shirt and up her back and within seconds her bra was off. For the next hour they alternated between kissing, touching, and watching the movie that was on.

“Gus,  I think it is time for us to go to bed.  We have to be out of here on time in the morning.”

“Sure, come to bed with me?”

“No, Gus, not tonight.  I need to…” 

Gus pulled her into his arms, “You can’t blame a guy for trying.” She put her arms around his neck.  The kiss was slow and sweet. They walked up the steps hand in hand.  After one more kiss outside of Gus’ room he said, “I can’t change your mind?”

“Sorry, Gus, I love you and can’t wait to be yours but right now, I just…”

“Cassie, I understand. You are worth the wait.” Gus kissed her once more and then went into his room.

Cass looking in the nursery out of habit.  She knew the little girl was gone but she could smell her in here.  She missed Fiona.  She wasn’t her mother but you couldn’t tell her heart that. She silently closed the door and went down to her room.  As she opened the door she glanced back at Gus’ room but she entered her room. As she shut the door a hand clamped over her mouth. Cass went into full panic mode but she was unable to make any noise. She swung her legs around and one foot finally made contact with the floor.

Gus heard something and opened the door to listen but he didn’t hear anything more.  Cass must have just bumped the dresser or dropped her shoe. He closed the door and got in bed.

Carl brought his mouth to Cass’ ear. “I just want to talk.  Please, Cass, don’t scream.” He slowly loosened his grip on her mouth.

Cass managed to get out of his grip and put a little distance between them.  “What are you doing here? How did you know where I was?”

“Not everyone believes your fantasies. A friend is ‘ignoring’ the fact I am off my property.”

“Carl, you agreed to the plea agreement.”

“I had no choice.  The only way I could get out of it is if you withdraw your statement. That’s why I am here, baby. Damn, you are still so beautiful.  Looks like you put on a few pounds but you could lose them again,” As he spoke he slowly moved toward Cass while Cass moved backward. “I didn’t expect you would sleep here.  I thought you would be sharing a bed with that pretty boy.  Maybe he’s a fairy like his daddies. Maybe he has you here just to replace the mama of that little girl? Where is she tonight, with the fags?”

Cass had slowly made her way closer to the door. “Gus is not gay.  He just respects me and as long as we aren’t married he…”

Carl moved to her quickly and grabbed her chin, pinching it tightly, causing pain, “You think you are so smart. You move in with your rich friends and take over for everything that was missing.  Your timing is impeccable.  Where the hell did you connect with him? Was that the plan all along? But really, haven’t you missed me, Babe?” Carl gruffly grabbed her crotch and then began to move her dress up. 

The sudden pain he caused made her cry out. He slapped her, “Shut up, bitch!  I should have known you were still the whining loser you always were.”

Gus wasn’t sure what woke him up but he got out of bed and looked down the hall to Cass’ room. A light still showed from under her door and he could tell someone was moving on the other side of it.  He moved down the hall and tapped on the door as he turned the knob. He pushed on it but there was something on the other side blocking it. “Cass, are you Ok?”

“Gus, run, Carl’s here.”

Gus threw his entire weight against the door and with Cass pulling at him from the other side, Carl lost his footing and crashed to the floor. “Go, Cass. Call the police.” Gus shouted as Carl regained his footing.  Cass looked at Gus and Carl and then ran out of the room. Carl tried to run to the door but Gus blocked him.             

“You are going to regret that, pretty boy!” Carl’s fist caught Gus’ jaw. To Carl’s surprise, Gus swung and caught Carl’s nose, feeling it crack under his fist.  “You are going to regret that!” Carl grabbed the table lamp that was sitting there.  He swung it and caught Gus above the left eye and Gus crumbled onto the floor. Carl rushed out of the room and as he rushed out the front door, all the alarms went off.

“Gus? Oh, god, Gus! What did he do to you?” She checked his pulse and it was strong and steady. She grabbed a towel and put pressure on the wound on his head. With her free hand she called Brian’s cell.”

“Cass, is something wrong? Do I hear a siren?”

“Carl got in.  Gus was hit.”

“We are on our way.” As Brian hung up Cass heard Brian telling Justin to get up.


Twenty minutes later, Gus was sitting up in a chair in Cass’ room. Brian and Justin had arrived and Justin had an arm around Cass while Brian stood behind Gus as the paramedic checked him over. “Gus, you should go to the hospital.  You need stitches.”

“I’m not going to the hospital. Dad, do you think Uncle Victor could…”

“Uncle Victor can do the stitches.” Victor and Ted walked in. Victor turned to the paramedic and pulled out his hospital ID.   “Did you find anything serious?”

The paramedic smiled at Victor, “No, he has no sign of a concussion and other than a black eye and a headache, he should be fine as long as he gets that gash closed.”

Victor shook hands with the paramedic. “Thank you.  I will take care of it from here.”

The police officer, who had been waiting out of the way, looked at Cass.  “Miss, can I have a word with you? I need to get a report on what happened here tonight.”

Gus smiled at Cass.  “Uncle Vic will fix this.” He pointed to his head. “I’ll be fine.  Now, go talk to the police so I don’t have to.”

While Cass talked to the officer, Justin downloaded the security footage for him.  There were no images of Carl entering the house but when he left he had forgotten the cameras and there were a couple good shots of his face. One of the cameras caught the damage Gus had done to his nose.  There was no way that wouldn’t show up at the hearing tomorrow. Justin handed the thumb drive to the officer and sat next to Cass.

“Cass, I am so sorry this happened.  I know Carl and at first I didn’t believe he could actually do anything that bad but over the last couple months I saw him covering up more things.  I will definitely find out who ignored his ankle monitor and he will be charged.” He looked at Justin, “Thanks for this.  I will be at the hearing today in case they have any questions about tonight.”

“Thank you for everything.  This hasn’t been easy for anyone.  By the hearing, Carl will have another count against him.” Justin pulled Cass close.  “This all ends tomorrow, no it ends today.” They said goodbye to the police officer and he left the house.  

Justin and Cass went back upstairs and Cass’ heart sank looking at Gus.  His eye was completely swollen shut and he had a bandage over the newly stitched wound. And ten minutes later Cass had Gus tucked into his bed and she lay next to him.  She didn’t sleep.  She jumped at every little noise even though Brian and Justin were sleeping on the sofa downstairs. If anything had happened to Gus, it would have killed her.”

Cass was up as soon as the sun appeared. She went and showered in her room and put on a robe before going downstairs and making breakfast for everyone.  She needed to keep busy.  Brian must have texted Mr. Phillips in the middle of the night because she received a text from him saying he had already contacted the police department and although the new charges would not be part of the deal, the judge knew what happened last night and he would consider it when he was setting the sentence. Because of last night he could choose to add more time. 

Cass had been looking at her cup of coffee when she heard someone walk into the kitchen.  She glanced up and saw Brian standing there.  He walked up and kissed the top of her head. “How are you, Cass, and don’t  bullshit me with ‘I’m fine’.”

“It was horrible!” Cass turned and felt Brian’s arms wrap around him.  “I don’t know how he got in and now, how can I put Gus and Fi….what if Fi was home? I don’t know what he would have done!”

Brian put a finger under her chin and tilted her head up. “Fiona wasn’t here.  By tonight the asshole, and I hate using that term for him because I am very fond of one of those.  But he will be in prison and after his stunt, Gus will file a restraining order so what he did is on file and when he gets out anything he does will get him thrown back in.” He kissed her lightly on the lips.  “Gus will be fine.” His eyes moved up and he smiled seeing Gus standing there.

“Dad, are you moving in on my girl? If you were straight I’d worry about that.” Gus walked over and dropped a kiss on Brian’s cheek before turning to Cass, “Dad, do you mind?” Brian stepped away and gave Cass a kiss. It was short and fairly benign.  “Sorry, that’s the best I can do this morning.” 

Cass looked closely at Gus’ swollen face and very gently kissed his cheek and then the band aid covering his stitches. “I have coffee made and I have the pastries in the warming drawer. Do you want eggs? I can…”

“Cass, relax.  Pastry is fine.” Brian opened the drawer and pulled out the pastries. Brought them and the coffee pot to the table just as Justin walked wearing one of Gus’ T-shirts and shorts. 

“I needed a shower.  Brian we should get home so we can change before court.” He poured coffee into travel mugs for the two of them and then grabbed a danish. “Why don’t we pick you up.  It is really on the way and that way, Gus, you won’t have to drive with your distorted vision.”

“That sounds great. Be here at about 9:00.”

“We’ll be here.” Justin walked over and kissed his son and Cass,  “I love you both.” And with that Brian and Justin left.


“Did you get any sleep?” Gus asked Cass as she drank her coffee.

“Not much. I kept watching you and then wondering where Carl was.  I didn’t expect him to come back but when I dozed he came back in my sleep.” She finished her danish and emptied her cup. “Do you need help getting ready?”

“Is that an offer to shower together?”

“I have already showered but if you wanted to take a bath I could help wash your hair.”

“I probably need to take you up on that or I will look like a homeless guy. Are you sure you have time?”

“It won’t take me long to dress but we can’t waste much time.”

“I’m ready.  Let’s go wash those beautiful curls of yours.”


Two hours later Gus, Cass, Brian and Justin walked into the courthouse. As soon as Mr. Phillips arrived, he escorted them into the hearing room and waited for the rest to arrive. “I spoke to the judge just a few minutes ago and with last night’s incidents he plans on giving Carl 25 years and requiring him to complete a minimum of ten years.  He said it is best to put last night on his record so they can always make more charges later.”

“As long as he accepts the plea agreement, I am Ok with it,” Cass said, squeezing Gus’ hand tightly. “I just don’t want to have him touch me ever again.”

Just as Gus was going to respond, Carl was led in.  Both his eyes were black and he had been to the doctor to set his nose.  Cass tensed at the sight of him but leaning into Gus, she looked away from Carl and refused to look at him again. 

The judge made quick work of the hearing.  The only thing he let Carl say was that he accepted the plea deal and he did admit to last night’s break in, not realizing that was now going to be public record. When it dawned on him he started sputtering but the judge assured him it was too late now.  Carl was put in five point shackles and then led out by two guards.  That was the first time Carl realized this was going to happen.  As they led him out he was calling Cassandra’s name begging for another chance.

Gus wrapped his arms around Cass, “What do you say we go get our little girl.”

“Gus, she isn’t mine yet.”

“It is just a matter of time. I love you.  You love me. Fiona loves both of us.” Gus dropped a kiss on her forehead.

“Cass, you have been family for a long time.” Justin said softly.  “I can’t imagine Fi calling anyone else mommy. You know none of us will let her forget Marley but you are the perfect addition to the family.”  

Everyone thanked Mr. Phillips and they walked out together. To their surprise the public defender who had been at Carl’s table was waiting for them. “Excuse me, Cassandra, may I have a word?”

Gus tightened his grip on her waist protectively. “Yes,” she said with a tentative tone.  “I’m not going to talk to him.” 

“Oh, no, nothing like that.” He offered her a stack of papers. She took them from him.  She glanced at them.  “Those are your divorce papers.  I had him sign those before he was sent away.  It will be final on the date listed but at least you won’t have to try and get them signed later. I wish you a happy life, Cassandra.”

“Oh, thank you! I….” but he had already turned and walked away.  “Gus, did you hear that? I was so worried I would have to fight for that signature.”

“You have no more worries but if you don’t mind, I need to go home. My head is killing me.”

The SUV was filled with chatter all the way home and Brian and Justin made sure Gus was comfortable.  “We will pick up Fiona from Mom’s and bring her back later this afternoon. You both need a good nap before you have to deal with her.” Justin smiled at Gus and Cass. “And you take it easy,” he directed the comment to Gus.  

“I promise not to do anything more today so I am ready for work tomorrow.”

Brian and Justin both looked at their son and Cass kissed both men and then took his arm, “I promise I will keep an eye on him and if I need to I will make JR yell at him.”

“I love you, Cass.” Brian said as he took Justin’s hand.  “I think the two of us will go home and celebrate your success and then we will go pick up Fi.”

“I don’t have to ask you how you plan to celebrate.” Gus saw Brian’s hand already grazing Justin’s ass.

“Well, we were up most of the night with you.” Justin turned to Brian and kissed him.

“Please get out of here before you forget I have your old bedroom.”

They all hugged and Brian and Justin got in the SUV and drove away.  “And now young man, it is time for you to take a nap.”

“I promise I will right after I eat some lunch.  I only had the pastry this morning and I am hungry.”

“What would you like? I can heat up some soup or make you a sandwich or…”

“Soup is good. Tonight I’ll make Fi’s favorite, homemade mac and cheese and chicken nuggets.”

“I wondered if I should freeze the chicken.” 

“No, I know how much Fiona likes those so I left it in the fridge. I should ask if you have something special you want.  It is a night to celebrate.  Having Fi’s favorites sounds amazing.” She stirred the thick soup and poured it into two bowls.  She set the bowls on the table and sat across from Gus. 

Gus looked at each bowl.  “Cassie, you hardly have any soup in there.  Are you feeling alright?”

“Ya, I just, well, I have been gaining weight and I know that if I do, I’ll just have to lose it later.  Last night he…”

“What did he say?” 

“He just said I had put on weight and he is right.  I…”

“I don’t give a fuck what he thinks, Cass.  You are one of the most beautiful people I have ever met, inside and out. He on the other hand, is a sick fuck that only feels powerful when he makes others feel weak.” He stood and got the pan off the stove, and added another large ladle of soup to her bowl.  And they ate the meal in near silence.  By the time they had finished, Gus really needed to lie down. 

Cass softly said, “Go take a nap, Gus.  I will be here if your dads bring Fiona home.”

“Come tuck me in?”

“I need to clean up here.” Gus walked around the table and offered his hand, “just for a little while?” Cass stood and together they walked up the stairs. 

“I’ll be right back,” Cass said.  I need to get out of these. While she went to her room, Gus stripped out of his ‘court’ clothes and pulled on shorts and a T-shirt. 

When Cass came back she was in nearly the same outfit.  She slipped into bed next to Gus and although they started kissing it was only moments before they were both sound asleep. An hour later, Cass slipped out of bed and went back down to clean up the kitchen.  Once she had that picked up, she started to dust but realized the house was clean.  She hated when she had nothing to do, nothing to think about.  As she roamed around she realized something, she wasn’t nervous.  There had been a couple times in the mountains she had forgotten everything but since they arrived here she had been nervous at every movement, every sound, but not today.  She felt like for the first time in years she could just be herself.  Gus wouldn’t make her change. Cass dropped on the sofa and dropped her head in her hands and did the only thing she could.  She wept.

Cass wasn’t sure how long she sat there before she realized two little arms were wrapped around her knees.  “Cassie, you sad?” Cass looked up into little brown eyes. 

Justin sat down next to her as she lifted Fiona onto her lap. “Something I can do?” Justin asked her while Fi wrapped her arms around her neck.”

“I’m not sad, Fiona. I am actually very happy.” She kissed the little girl and then turned to smile at Justin through tear filled eyes. “I was sitting here and realized for the first time in years, I wasn’t scared. Not one part of me was nervous or tense.” She looked at Fi and smiled at her.  For the first time she knew, really knew she belonged.

Justin smiled and got up.  “You are loved, Cass.  I am going to go take a look at Gus.”

“Play outside?” Fi asked.  

“That sounds like a wonderful idea.” Cass stood with Fi in her arms. “Justin, let him know we are in the yard.” As Cass watched Fi play in the jungle gym she again drifted off in her thoughts.  She remembered playing out here with Aiden.  Aiden, the loving little boy who had left for med school. And then she looked at the dog house that had been moved into the back corner of the yard.  Fi needed a dog. She remembered how Aiden loved GC.  It didn’t have to be a husky.  Maybe a smaller breed, whatever she wanted.

For the second time in an hour Cass was surprised by arms going around her. She turned and kissed Gus.  “I love you, Gus Kinney.  I am so lucky to have found you.” They kissed again.

“Daddy, catch me!” Fi said as she stood at the top of the slide.  She sat down and slid to the bottom where Gus caught her and swung her in the air. “Daddy what we eating?”

“How does mac and cheese and nuggets sound?”

“Yummy!  I help?”

“Of course you can. Maybe Cass would like to help, too?”

“There is nothing I would rather do.” Gus slipped one arm around Cass as the three of them walked to the house.  

Fi sat on one of the stools and helped make the nuggets by patting them in the bread crumbs.  Cass was next to them finishing the cheese sauce and then adding in the macaroni.  Once she had poured the mixture in a pan she topped it with buttered bread crumbs and put it in the oven. She stood back and watched Gus and his daughter work together and it made her heart sing.


After an amazing meal, and some snuggle time on the sofa, Fiona fell asleep in Cass’ arms. “I’ll carry her upstairs.” She said standing up.  

Gus kissed her nose, “I’ll be up in a few minutes.” Cass left the kitchen and Gus pulled out some champagne flutes and pulled out a bottle from the fridge.  He quickly washed a few strawberries and then put all of it and carried it up the stairs.

Cass was no longer in Fiona’s room.  He kissed his daughter and went into his own room. He hoped he hadn’t misread Cass’ emotions. He set the tray on the table and as he turned around she walked in.  His heart skipped several beats.  She stood in the doorway, backlit by the soft light from the hall. She wore a rose ombre negligee.  It was the softest rose and by the time it got to the floor it was the deepest red with almost a tinge of black at the bottom.  When he found his voice back he said, “Cass, you are so….you are breathtaking.”

She let the gauzy top layer fall to the floor and stood in the matching nightgown.  It was the pale rose and consisted of lace straps and bodice and was cut nearly to the waist. “Gus, I am hoping you are planning on me sleeping here tonight.”

He walked across the room, pulling his shirt off as he moved.  “Try and get away!” For a split second a look crossed her face and he froze.  Damn, he said the wrong thing again.

“It’s alright, Gus.  I don’t ever want to get away from you.  I’m not fixed, but I have come a long way.”  She closed the small gap between them and as she lay her hands on his chest she looked deeply in his eyes and as she held the gaze he began to trail kissed across her clavicle and  as he ran his tongue along the bone he slowly moved the lace strap down and the material fell away from her breast Gus dropped his mouth and took in the taunt nipple.  It wasn’t long before the gown was in the middle of the floor and they stood naked in the middle of the room.  Gus lifted her off her feet and carried her to the bed. Once they were comfortable, Gus moved into position.

As he slipped into her, he swore under his breath, “I forgot a condom.” He continued to slide in and out and from Cass’ grip she wasn’t going to let him go. 

Cass cried out as an orgasm ran through her and when she realized Gus was about to back out she wrapped her legs around him. “No, Gus.  I can’t get pregnant anyway.  Please don’t stop now.”  And then it was too late.  Gus felt himself cum deep inside of her. 

A few minutes later they half laid, half sat and sipped champagne and shared the strawberries Gus had brought up. “Cass, will you marry me? I know you have a couple weeks before we can do that but I don’t want to wait.  We can do the ‘right’ ceremony when my dads come back.”

“Oh, yes, Gus.  I love that idea.  I want to be Cass Kinney.  I want Fi to call me…” She stopped.

“We will tell her you are her mommy.  We will tell her about Marley when she is old enough to remember but you are the one she will remember.”

“I will be the best mom I can be. I promise.”

“I have no doubt that you are just what we both need.” Gus set the tray on the floor.  “And now, Cass, I think we should try that once more to make sure we did it right the first time.”

 

“Gus, that makes no sense.” Cass laughed as she rolled onto him, “but I am sure we can figure out another way to try.” She bent down and raised her pelvis above his cock. As she sat up she lowered herself onto his erection and as she began to move up and down Gus signed and thrust upward to meet her.