- Text Size +

Chapter 12


‘JR, call me. I need to talk to you.”  Cass was trying again. This was the fourth message this morning.  It had been two weeks since Gus had left.  She had seen the therapist six times and she had seen her doctor. Now she needed to find Gus and she was sure JR would know where he was. 

“Trev, should I call her?” The men lay in bed with Tori lying on Trevor’s chest. JR kissed first Tori and then Trev.

Trev passed Tori to JR and picked up his own phone. “I’ll call her.  Since I don’t know where he is, I can get a feel for how she is doing and then let you talk if I think she is ready. I think I can understand some of what she has gone through.The main issue with recovery is admitting it happened and no matter what you were trapped.  I went through therapy and when I met you, I knew what life should be.”

Trevor moved away from the bed, not wanting to disturb the sleeping baby, and called Cass.

“Trevor, are you with JR? Do you know where Gus is? I need to go to them. I am figuring he is at the cabin but…”

“Cass, slow down a bit. First I don’t know where Gus is but I do know JR is and I know that Gus needed you to do a few things before he would come back.”

“Trevor, I know I was an idiot.  I have seen the therapist six times in the last two weeks.  I am on the schedule three times a week for the next two months. I know I am not fixed but I am starting to realize what I need to let go of and I’m learning how to do that but Trev, that isn’t the biggest thing.  I’m pregnant, Trev.  I’m three months pregnant.  I might have already been pregnant when we flew home from the mountain.  I need to tell him.  I need to see him and Fi and that crazy, adorable Gerald.”

“Cass, that is amazing!  Let me talk to JR and we will call you back.”

“Thank you for calling me, Trev.  I know I am not JR’s favorite person.”

“He is just protective of his best friend. Gus has gone through so much.”

“I know that and I can now see how wrong I was.”

Trevor walked back to the bed and JR spoke, “So, what did she have to say. What excuses did she give you this time.”

“JR, she has been to the therapist 6 times and she has been to her doctor.”

“And, what did she find out?”

“In six months Tori will have a new playmate.”

“She’s….she told Gus she couldn’t get pregnant.”

“Cass had told Gus the doctor said it was a slim chance she could get pregnant at least not at this time but he was wrong. JR, where is Gus?”

“I told him I wouldn’t tell her.”

“JR, she has done everything he asked and I believe Gus will want to know he is going to be a father. She really does sound in a much better state of mind.”

“But Trev…”

“JR Strong, you will tell me where Gus is or you will call Cass and tell her but this woman needs to know where her husband is!”

“Ok, you’re right but if that woman hurts Gus…”

“I don’t think she will but if she does, we’ll be there to help him through it.” Trevor kissed JR.  “You are the most amazing and loyal man I have ever known.”

“They’re on Martha’s Vineyard with George. Give me your phone and I will put in his address for her.”  JR put George’s address into the phone.  “Should I let Gus know I just betrayed him?”

“JR, you didn’t betray him.”

Cass got the message and immediately texted back ‘thank you’ before she booked the next flight out.


By the time Cass landed in Boston she rented a car and drove to Providence, the last ferry had left for the night. She thought of the cost of the flight and the car and now a hotel. What if Gus got angry...No, that was Carl, not Gus.  Gus was nothing but generous and good and...she hoped she wasn’t too late. She found a room and once she had checked in she reserved a place on the first boat of the morning. She ordered up a sandwich and texted Gus.  ‘Gus, I need to talk to you. I’ve seen the therapist and my doctor.’                       

Gus was holding a weeping Fiona in his arms when he heard his phone.  “I want Cass,” she said through her tears. She had been fussy all evening, which usually meant she was coming down with something. 

“We will try to talk to Cass tomorrow, ok, baby doll?” He felt her forehead and was fairly sure she had a slight fever. “Let’s get you something cold to drink and some medicine.” 

Before he could stand he heard footsteps and a soft knock before George looked in.   “I made a slush in the blast chiller. It is just apple juice but she looked a little flushed. Come here sweetheart.” George handed her the sippy cup and lifted his granddaughter.

“Thanks, Dad.  I think I packed some medicine.  I’ll be right back.” Gus left and then remembered the message that had come in earlier.  He looked at his phone and saw Cass’ message.  Maybe it was about time to talk to her. They couldn’t stay here forever.

Gus grabbed the medicine and walked back to the bedroom Fi and George were in. He gave her the fever reducer and offered to take her back.  “Let me, Gus.  You look like you could use some sleep.”

“I am tired.  If she gets worse, come get me.”

“I will but she will sleep soon.”

“Thanks, George… for everything.”

“I am sorry she doesn’t feel well, but I cherish every minute I can hold her.”  

“Love Grandpa,” Fi said and adjusted so her arms were around his neck.

“Gus, thanks for sharing her.” 

Gus walked over and kissed both their heads and then walked out of the room.Gerald followed him to the room. He got ready for bed and to his surprise, he fell asleep quickly. The next thing he remember was his favorite little voice.

“Daddy, you awake?” Fiona was nearly eye to eye with him when his eyes fluttered open.

“Hey, baby doll, how are you feeling?” He pulled her up onto his bed and she slipped under the blankets with him. 

“I all better,” she said as she snuggled into his arms. “Daddy, ok?”

“I am.  I think I’m missing Cass just like you are.  We will call her later.”

Fiona kissed his cheek. “Yeah!”

“Fi where did you get Gerald’s name from? Did you meet someone named Gerald somewhere?”

“No, the pretty lady told me about her cat, Gerald.”

“What pretty lady, Fi?”

“You know. The one on the fireplace.” For a minute Gus was picturing their fireplace but then he realized she meant the fireplace here. Martha’s picture.                   

“Do you see the pretty lady often?”

“No, when I sleep sometimes.” Fi snuggled closer.  “Daddy, love you.”

“Oh, I love you, too. Are you getting hungry?”  She nodded.

“You go get your slippers on while I put on some clothes and we will go make breakfast together.”


Cass stretched in the big, empty bed.   She rested her hand on her stomach. “Well, little one, today we will meet your daddy and sister. I promise I will do everything I can to fix what I messed up. They are going to love you more than you could imagine.” Her stomach rumbled.  “I guess we better get some breakfast. We are both hungry.” Cass showered and dressed.  She packed her bag and walked down to the lobby.  She ordered breakfast in the restaurant and then sipped a couple of herbal tea until it was time to go.  The server asked if she needed anything else. “Can you tell me how early I should be at the ferry to cross to Martha’s Vineyard.”

“If you have a reservation, 45 minutes to an hour before departure.  So if you are scheduled for the 10:00, just leave here at 9:00.  I’ll bring you more hot water and tea bags.”

“I will take one more but then I have to stop.” She placed her hands on the small bump on her stomach.

“Oh, congratulations.  What are you doing here alone?” The server placed her hands over her mouth. “I am so sorry.  Sometimes I ask too much.”

“It’s ok, Jan,” Cassandra said after looking at the younger woman. She looked around and noticed she was the only one in this section. “Can you sit  and have a cup of coffee?”

“I’ll be right back with refills.” Moments later Cass was making tea and Jan sat across from her with a cup of coffee.  “Most of the guests are here for the same convention and they started at 7:30 so I was super busy earlier.  It feels great to sit down.”

“I am sure. You asked what I was doing alone.  I am on my way to tell my husband he’s going to be a daddy again.”

“You have another child?”

“Well, Gus does.  His first wife, Marley…”

“Marley? Gus and Marley Kinney?”

Cass was silent for a moment, “You know Gus.”

“Well, I can’t say I really know him. But everyone around here knows George and when Marley was killed, we all heard about it. Gus is just gorgeous.”        

“Yes, and he is as kind and sweet as he is handsome.” She pulled her phone out and showed her their wedding picture. 

“Wow, you look so happy!  I don’t want to assume but I get the feeling there is a little discord going on.”

“I am on my way to make that go away, I hope.”                   

“Well, I’ll send good vibes and you probably should get going.”

“Thanks, Jan, I needed to just talk to someone.” She put $40 on the table  when she left.  That covered her $15 meal and she hoped it would brighten Jan’s day a little.


By the time Gus got to the kitchen Fi was sitting on the counter licking something off a spatula with her little robe and slippers on while her grandfather was pulling pans out of the oven. “I don’t know what you pulled out of there but it smells amazing.” Gus reached down and pet the puppy.

“I usually don’t do baked goods for you since that is your specialty but I haven’t made this coffee cake for years.  It just sounded good.  It should be cool enough in about 10 minutes.”

“And what do you have, Fi.”

“Frosting!”

“Shhh, you weren’t supposed to tell your daddy I am feeding you sugar before breakfast.”

“How about I make some scrambled eggs to go with the coffee cake and if I’m not mistaken that is bacon that is finishing up in the oven.” 

An hour later they had all eaten and after cleanup, Gus took Fi to her room and helped her put on a sweater and jeans.  It was definitely cooler here on the island than it was on the mainland. Gus decided to make some bread while George played with Fiona.  

When the doorbell rang, Gus said, “I got it.” and went to open the door.  He swung the door open expecting to see one of George’s fisherman friends but instead it was Cass. Gus froze for a second. “Cass, how...what.. What are you doing here?”

“We need to talk.”

“Cassie!” Fi came flying toward the front door.  Gerald ran up behind her. Gus stepped out of the way as Cass stepped in, dropping to her knees to hug Fiona. She also reached out and held on to the pup.

Gus shut the door and stepped around his wife who was hugging his daughter. George came up and put an arm around Gus. Cass stood with Fiona in her arms, “George, I’d like to introduce you to Cass.  Cass, this is my father in law, George.”

“It is really nice to meet you, Cass.”

“I hope you don’t mind that I dropped in without calling.”   Turning she looked at Gus, “I wasn’t sure I would be welcome.”  Fi kept kissing Cass’ cheek.  “I missed you so much, Fiona.”

“Oh, Mommy, I missed you, too.” Cass’ heart melted.  Since their marriage, Fi called her both Cassie and Mommy but that word had a new meaning now. She was going to be a mommy to two.”

“Fi, I am sure your mommy will be here for a while.   Why don’t you come and help me make some fresh coffee.”

“Ok, Grandpa.” Fi reached out  and George took her from her.  

Gus took Cass’ elbow, “We need to talk.” Gus led her to George’s den. He led her to one of the overstuffed chairs and he sat down in the other one.   He really wanted to take her in his arms and kiss her and ask her how she was feeling but he had to remember, if she didn’t get help, Fi wasn’t safe with her. “You could have told me you were coming.”

“Gus, your responses have been few and far between.”

“So when you messaged yesterday you were…”

“I was in Providence.  Gus, I have something to tell you.”

Gus looked at her.  She really did seem more calm and focused.  “You look good, Cass and you look, well, healthier. Are you feeling better? Did you see a doctor?”

Cass took a deep breath, “Yes,Gus, to all your questions.  First, I need to apologize.  I was not mentally healthy.  Gus, if anything would have happened to Fiona, I would never forgive myself.” A tear rolled down her cheek.  “I have missed her so very much but,” she dropped to her knees in front of him and looked into his eyes, “but, I have missed you so much.  I woke in the middle of the night and literally ached to feel your skin.”

“Cass I missed you, too but … I just can’t think that way until I know you followed through with…”

Cass dug into her person behind her and handed him a sealed envelope. It was a letter from his therapist’s office. It said, ‘Gus, I have met with Cass 6 times in the last two weeks and when she returns we will continue with 3 times a week for now.  Gus, she has a ways to go but she has already made great progress.  She has come to terms with needing to deal with her past life to enjoy her future. She loves you, Gus, and I think she will be perfect for you and your family.’

Gus folded the letter and laid it down on the table.  “You already saw him six times?” He took her hands and brought them to his mouth kissing the knuckles.  She nodded. He tilted her head back gently and brought his lips to hers. Her arms wrapped around and to get more comfortable they both stood up. 

“Gus, I have to tell you something,” she managed to say, separating slightly, but Gus wasn’t in the mood for separation. He brought his mouth to hers again. The kiss was gentle but longing.

After several moments “I have missed you, Cass.  It is obvious you have been working on your health.  Is your stomach better?”

“Oh, Gus, I’ve been trying to tell you, but,” Gus’ mouth skimmed her neck, “you keep distracting me.”  Her breath shuttered as his mouth kept travelling  over her skin. Finally she blurted, “We are going to have a baby.”

Gus froze a second and then he lifted his head and looked into her eyes. “You’re …. You, the baby, are you alright? This isn’t dangerous for you, is it?”

Cass put a hand on his cheek.  She saw the love and concern in his eyes. “We are fine, Gus.  The doctor was a little concerned with my history and my age so he ran some extra tests and I am healthy.  I need to have more scans than the average mother but everything looks good.”

“How far along?”

“Over three months. He or she will be here around Valentine’s day.  I must have gotten pregnant either just before we got home or the week we got back. Are you happy, Gus? You want another baby don’t you?”

“As long as it isn’t dangerous for you, I couldn’t be happier!” He picked her up and twirled her around. “Oh, Cass, I am SO happy!”

“Daddy, Mommy, come,” Fiona said outside the door.

“Let’s go tell Fi and George the good news.  They will both be so excited.”

“Do you really think so? George won’t be the baby’s grandfather.”

“He will be if you let him.”

“Really? But he…”

“He is family and always will be.”

“DADDY!”

“We are coming, baby doll.” Gus opened the door and scooped his daughter up. “We have an amazing surprise to tell you and your grandpa.”

“A surprise?” Fiona’s whole face lit up.

“I have missed that beautiful face.” Cass leaned over and took her from Gus.

“Is that safe?” he worried out loud.

“It is fine, Gus.” 

George had set the table.  “I know I said I would make coffee but I realized it is lunchtime so Fi helped me warm up some fish chowder and sliced some of your bread.”

“Surprise, Daddy. Gerald helped, too,” Fi said as she kissed and hugged Cass.  “I missed you, Mommy.”

Cass looked at George’s face.  She could only imagine it was painful to hear his granddaughter call someone else mommy. 

Gus slipped an arm around Cass. “Let’s all sit.” Once they were sitting Gus  took Cass’ hand and had an arm wrapped around Fi, “Fi, remember how much you love Tori Grace?”

“Oh, she is so cute.  I her big sister.”

“You are but you know Uncle JR and Uncle Trevor are her daddies.” Fi nodded. “How would you like a baby in our house?”

“Oh, a baby? Where?”

“Well, sweetheart, it will be a little while but somewhere around Valentine’s Day you will have a baby brother or sister.” Gus’ eyes met with George and he smiled and nodded.

“Congratulations,” he said smiling. “That is wonderful news.”

“Where’s baby?”

“Sweetie, she is in my tummy.”

Fi put her hands out, palms up, “Where?” she looked down at Cass’ tummy.

“You will be able to see later.  Now let’s eat your grandpa’s amazing smelling chowder.”

The four ate and chatted.  George asked Cass questions to get to know her better.  He didn’t make her feel uncomfortable. And when they had all eaten a piece of coffee cake for dessert, Gus lifted a nearly sleeping Fi and carried her to a bedroom.

George stood and started clearing off the table and Cass moved to the sink and started filling it. “Cassandra, you don’t need to do that.  You’re my guest.”

“George, I am an uninvited guest that you have been very kind to welcome in.”

“I can see how much my son and granddaughter love you and how much you love them.”

“I do, with all my heart.  I am so sorry, I drove them away.  It was my fault but I probably needed them to leave to show me what I really needed to do.  I am getting help now and with so much love I am sure I will get better soon.”

“Gus didn’t spill your details but I know enough that I know you were mistreated. No one deserves that. He said children might be out of the question so this is very exciting.” The two continued to clean as they chatted.

“George, I know it isn’t easy to see me where your daughter belongs but I promise, I love her as much as any mother can.”

“You are right, Cass, I do wish my Martha was here but, well, she isn’t, and that beautiful family deserves to be complete.”

Instinctively, Cass hugged the older man, “George, I want you to know you are always going to be welcome at my home and, I would love to have you be part of our family.  I don’t have any family of my own and the Kinneys have shown me how important family is.” George hugged Cass tightly.

“George, are you moving in on my woman?”

“No, I’m hugging my new daughter.”

“Awe, shit, I didn’t want to cry.” Cass moved from George into Gus’ arms.


Later in the afternoon, George had taken Fi to the bay.  They were going to watch the ferry load and leave and Gus knew there would be some ice cream and hot chocolate involved.  Cass and Gus lay in bed under a thick quilt. Gus laid his hand protectively on Cass’ bare stomach. Cass reached for Gus’ phone.  “Don’t you think we should call your dads?” She handed it to him.

“Yes, we should but I should warn you, Dad already suspected. I didn’t think he could be right but I should have known.  His instincts are always right.”

Gus called Brian’s phone, “Hey, Gus, how’s it going? Are you still at the Vineyard?”

“We are, Dad.  Is Dad around?”

“I’m right here, Gus.” Justin’s voice came through the phone.

“Hi Justin. Hi Brian.” Cass said.

“Hey, Cass, you are all together,” Brian commented.

“I hope you can both forgive me.  I didn’t realize how badly I needed help, but I know it now and I have been going to therapy.”

“I am so glad to hear that, Cass.  We were both worried about you,” Justin responded with real warmth in his voice.

“Dad, we just wanted to let you know you were right.  You are going to have another grandchild around Valentine’s Day.” They could hear the cheers in the background.”

After a little more talking about the baby, Gus asked, “So is Ibiza as great as you thought it would be?”

“It is amazing.  We have a week left,” Justin commented.

“And as much as we have enjoyed our trip, I have to admit I am ready to come home. I miss my Fifi.” Brian wrapped his arms around Justin.  They were standing on the patio overlooking the ocean. 

“Fiona misses you, too.  She will be so happy to see you.” 


After the goodbyes Brian and Justin walked into the pool.  They couldn’t remember the last time they had actually dressed.  They had been in shorts but that was about all they had worn in the last month.  They had done a little shopping a couple of times but tonight was the last night at the villa and the next two nights they would be near the beach where they planned to do a little more shopping for friends and family and enjoy a little night life before heading back to Pittsburgh.

They both floated on the water holding hands, “Are you really ready to go home?” Brian said as he pulled Justin a little closer.

“As much as I have loved every second of this trip, I miss our friends and the rest of the family.  We can see Aiden is just blossoming in France.  Knowing he is loving it so much, makes it much easier to be apart from him. Can you believe Fi will be a big sister?”

“I have to admit I have a little concern. What if Cass isn’t well enough…”

“We will be home to help as much as we can and we know Cass is strong. Now that she is getting help she can do this.”

“We are family and family can do anything together. Justin, have I told you lately how much I love you?”

“Oh, if I am not mistaken you showed me more than once yesterday.”

Brian drifted toward the steps pulling Justin with him.  As they reclined at the edge they stroked each other’s sun warmed skin. “I know we have always gotten hard just looking at each other but when I look over the last eighteen years, I wouldn’t have changed a thing.”

“Oh, Bri, I can’t even imagine where I would be without you.”

“You would be a very successful man in advertising that would have an extremely attractive husband.”

“You are the only successful, attractive man I could ever imagine. Let’s go in. It looks like we might see a storm tonight. We can use that amazing shower and then settle down for the last dinner here and watch the front move through.”

They strode out of the pool and moved into the house just as they saw lightning far out to sea.

After dinner, they sat in front of the fireplace.  Fall had been creeping in as their extended vacation had gone on which also made the urge to be home stronger. As the storm raged outside, Brian and Justin sipped whiskey and talked about all that had happened during this trip.  

“Aiden, is being careful, isn’t he?” Justin asked Brian, feeling no pain as he took another sip of the amber liquid.

“Aiden has never done a stupid thing in his life. I am sure he is careful and I am so glad he is experiencing life.  I have a feeling we may have lost him to France but we can visit often.  That bathtub in the garden, along with the bed out there.  I have to say I am fond of the country, too.”

The lights flickered and then went out. Justin kissed Brian.  “You know, all this time together the last two months and we haven’t got sick of each other, yet.” He giggled a little as Brian’s hand gently grazed Justin’s cock.  “That tickles.  Let’s…” the sky exploded.  The villa shook and Brian and Justin grabbed for each other as they felt the cliff the house was perched on, shift.      


Cass and Gus lay in bed together.  They had made love but now as they laid there Gus had a weird feeling in the pit of his stomach. This was the bed he made love with Martha for the first time but he knew she understood and now, somehow, he felt peace. She couldn’t be with him anymore but he found someone who loved him and Fiona as much as Martha had. 

“Gus, it is alright that you think of her.” Cass snuggled into him. “I love her and I never met her.  She gave us Fiona and Gus, now we have made a brother or sister for Fi for us. I think Marley would be happy.”    

Gus kissed her, “Have I told you how proud of you I am? In the last two weeks you have come so far.  I hope you will be patient with me. You are right that Martha would be happy I wasn’t alone and I know I have nothing to feel guilty about but I do.”

“Well, we will both work on life together.” Cass pulled the blankets around them. “I love you.”

“I love you, too, Cassandra. Now, we both know Fiona will be up early.  We better get some sleep.”


Gus, Cass, and Fi spent one more day with George and then took the ferry along with Gerald, back to the mainland and then on to the airport. Before leaving they made George promise to come to their place for the holidays, even stay from Thanksgiving to New Year’s. He promised to be in touch.  George had a friend with a private plane that was heading to Pittsburgh with fresh seafood so, although it wasn’t a luxury plane, it was comfortable enough for the short flight and they made it back to their house.  

As they walked in, they smelled an enticing aroma. “Hello?” Gus called out. 

“Hey, welcome home!” Trevor came walking from the kitchen with Tori Grace in his arms. “We thought you would be tired and could use a home cooked meal so JR is cooking.” Trev walked over and kissed Cass, “Congratulations.”

Cass reached for the baby, “May I?”

“Sure,” Trev handed Tori to Cass and they all walked into the kitchen.

“Hey, bro, about time you got home.  We have some stuff to talk about.” JR gave Gus a side hug when Gus came to see what was cooking.

“What’s going on? Something wrong at the bakery?”

“Just the opposite.  You know those cupcakes you made for Fi.  The strawberry ones with ‘fur’?”

“I do.  They turned out really good.”

“Well, you left the recipe and we have been making them ever since.  Everyone loves them.  We even had someone want us to ship them across the country. I also heard from the culinary school.  I would love to have more students working here.”

“Wow, you’ve had a lot going on.”

“I am just starting.  When I told Dad about all of these offers he thought of something. We both have talked about regular hours.  Dad had a great idea.  What if we kept ownership of the bakery but let the school totally run it.  Then you and I could start a commercial bakery.  We could work normal hours and hire delivery people to bring our fresh breads and pastries to stores and restaurants. We could be home in the evenings with our families and still do what we love, Bake!”

“That sounds really interesting.  Tomorrow you and I can go over details.” Gus turned to his friend, “And JR, thanks for telling Cass where we were.”

“I hoped you wouldn’t be mad. She seems to have pulled herself together and the fact that there is another baby on the way…”

“She is doing much better and she knows she has more to do but she is going to make the best mommy.” Gus looked over to the couch where she was helping Fi support Tori’s head.

“How did it go with Cass and George?”

“He’s coming for Thanksgiving and may stay until New Year’s. It makes me so happy.  He will be grandpa to both my kids.”

“I’m so happy for all of you.  And your dads are coming home this week, right?”

“They are, why?”

“My dads can’t wait.  They have missed them so much.”

“The last couple times I talked to my dads, although they have loved their trip, they are ready to come home. I just realized I haven’t heard anything from them the last couple days.”

“Knowing your dads, they are probably just in bed,” JR smiled.

“Lucky them!” Trev rested his hands on JR's ass.

“From the look on both your faces, you are lacking in a little sleep but now in love.”

“You are so right.” JR turned and kissed Trevor.  “My dads have been great at helping.  I think moving in with them was the best idea we’ve had in a long time.”

Trevor made a bottle and Cass fed it to Tori.  

“Daddy, I hungry, too.” Fi said in a whiny voice she only used when she was very tired.    

JR picked her up, “Well, let's get you some dinner, too.” 

Gus got her a plate of food and before she could eat all of it, she was falling asleep. They laid both girls on a soft rug with blankets near the fireplace and the adults sat around the table just enjoying each other’s company and the great meal.  

After Trevor and JR went home with Tori, Gus carried Fi up to bed and after Gerald went potty he ran up the stairs and jumped into Fi’s bed settling down next to the sleeping little girl. After Cass and Gus were in bed he said, “I think we will need to paint the room I decorated for you so Fiona can move down there after the baby is born. That should give us until next spring.  We will keep the new one in the room with us for a couple months.” Gus saw Cass stiffen a little bit. “Cass, is something wrong?” 

“Gus, I have a couple things in that room that my therapist says I need to deal with.”

“We can find a place to store that stuff or we can redo the spare room…”

“No, Gus, I don’t mean just finding a place for it.  They are part of my past and they have a hold on me.  I’m working through it with him and I promise I will face it sometime.” Cass’s voice was soft and shaky.

Gus pulled her closer.  “Cassandra, when you are ready, I will do whatever you want me to do. If you want me there, I’ll be there. If you need to be alone, you can be alone. I’m here for you if you just need it stuck in the old apartment, we’ll do that.”

She snuggled against him, “I love you. I never thought I would have a life like this.  I never thought I deserved it.”

“You deserve the world, love.  We deserve the world!”


Brian could see the pool was no longer where it had been.    “Damn, that was close.: Brian looked around.  A couple of the large windows were broken and rain was coming in.  Shit!  Justin, the pool is gone. Lightning must have struck the patio. It must have been what made the windows break.”  He reached next to him and found Justin’s warm hand. “Hey, Justin… babe?”

 

That’s when Brian felt the dampness of Justin’s hand.  At first he thought it was just the rain coming in the windows but when he held his hand up in the fire light he saw it wasn’t water on his hand. “Fuck, Justin, sweetheart..."