- Text Size +

Chapter 9


Brian sighed as he leaned back in the first class seat. “Are you rethinking this trip?”  Justin asked as he brought Brian’s hand to his lips.

Brian touched Justin’s cheek, “No, not really.  Cass is clear of her ex and will be free to marry Gus soon.  You and I will soon be in France roaming the countryside.”

“You know they will be married before we get back, right?”

“Do you really think they will get married without us?”

“Brian, my love, I have no doubt about it. Our son will marry her within a week of her divorce.”

Brian looked at Justin and slowly smiled, “You’re right because when it is real love…” He pulled Justin close and kissed him. “I still hate that I wasted three years away from you. I should have never let you go.”

“You didn’t.  I left. I didn’t ask your permission.”

“No, but it was my fault you left.”

“Neither of us were very good at the marriage thing but I think we have both learned from our mistakes.” Justin kissed him again. “I suggest we sleep awhile.  If we are rested, we will be ready for our day in Paris before going on to Bordeaux.” Justin pulled a blanket over both of them and they fell asleep.


JR had arrived at the bakery early.  Ray was supposed to stop by when he got off work about 3:00 am. He usually didn’t come in until 4:00 but Ray had been avoiding him every time he had tried to get together so when Ray asked him to be there at 3:00, he jumped at the chance.   He was taking out his first tray of caramel cinnamon rolls when he heard a knock on the back door.  He walked over and looked out the window.  He opened the door, “Hey, bro, how are you doing?” JR went in to give Ray a quick hug but Ray held on tight. JR wrapped his arms around his little brother tightly. “Raymond, I’m here. What is it? What can I do to help you?”

Ray was silent for a full minute before he took a step back. “I am sorry, JR.  I don’t know what the hell I was thinking.”

“Take a deep breath.  Do you want coffee with your cinnamon roll or would you prefer a glass of milk since you are going home to sleep after this.”

“Coffee, please. It won’t keep me awake.” JR brought him a mug of coffee and a roll on a plate. “Damn, this looks amazing.”

“You know you can always stop by.  Anything you want is on the house. You’re family.”

“I don’t deserve that.  I haven’t been a brother to you. You have always been here for me and I treat you like shit.”

“Ray, your life hasn’t been easy.”

“And your was? And all I did was make it worse.” Ray pulled a piece of the cinnamon roll off and took a bite.

“Being gay isn’t the worst thing in the world.  With dads like Ted and Victor, I had more than I could have hoped for.” JR followed suit with his roll.

“Ya, I just felt more comfortable at Mom’s as I got older.”

“I do understand that. You were a young, straight male in a house of gay men. I guess that’s why I don’t understand…” JR stopped.

“How I couldn’t see that you were the only option for my baby?”

“Ray, it is your decision.  You and Charita need to be comfortable with what is right for you.”

“JR, we want you and Trevor to have her.”

“Her? It’s a girl?” JR’s heart already started melting.

“Ya.  I know I should have talked to you earlier.  I didn’t give you much time.  I hope we can get the paperwork in place.  Vic hopes to be home in time for the delivery but his partner will deliver her if she comes early.”

“How much time is left?” JR wished Trevor was there.  He just wanted to kiss him.

“A month.”  He took another big bite of the roll. “I know that is so soon.”

“We will be ready, Raymond.  You are giving us the most amazing gift ever.”

“Can you take care of the lawyer stuff?”

“Of course! We have met with a lawyer to get an idea of what all has to be done and he has already started with the basic paperwork.”

“JR, I have to go.  I am getting tired and I am guessing someone else will be here soon.”

JR got up and boxed up a half dozen of the rolls and a couple dozen cookies. “Here, take these. I’ll call you when the paperwork is ready to sign and  please let us know how everything is going.”

“I will, JR, we good?” Ray had the boxes of treats in his hands.

“Oh, Ray, we were always good but now I can never thank you  enough.”

“Talk to you soon,” he said as he walked out the door.

JR stood there in shock.  Did that really happen? He and Trev were going to have a little girl. Oh my, a friend for Fi.  He had just picked up his phone to call Trevor when he heard the key in the backdoor.  “Hey, partner,” Gus stopped, “you look like a kid who just got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.” He laughed at his own joke. “Bakery? Cookie jar? Get it?”

“Oh, Gus!” JR flung himself into his arms.

“Hey, what is it? Is something wrong?”

“Ray just left.  Trev and I are going to have a baby girl in just a month!”  He grabbed Gus’ face and kissed him.

“Oh, JR, That is the best news!”  

“I need to go home! I need to tell Trev!”

“JR, you trust me?”

“Of course, I trust you.”

“Text him and tell him you need to have him stop by on his way to work. Tell him you forgot something or that we need him to drop off something at the bank on his way. And then leave it to me.” 

“Would it be wrong for me to call Dad? I need to tell someone else and with Vic out of town…”

“Why don’t you tell him to come at 8:00 or so.  I will call Trev's office and let them know he might be a little late.”

JR kissed Gus once more, “Now you better not be doing that when he arrives in an hour or so. I better get moving.  I have a gender reveal to put together.”

An hour later, JR had managed to get a couple batches of cupcakes in the ovens while Gus made something special.  He took some of the bread dough and filled them with a strawberry cream cheese.  He made them into pockets and was pulling them out of the oven ten minutes before Trevor was supposed to arrive.  He drizzled them with a little bit of  cream cheese frosting over the top.

Gus lit a candle on a back table while JR ran to the flower shop next door and came back with a small bouquet of pink baby roses. A few customers had wandered in, along with the two morning employees.  Gus just stayed near the front so he could see Trevor when he arrived.  JR saw the vehicle coming down the road and Gus went and made a couple Americanas  so as Trevor walked in the door, Gus was setting the coffee on the table.

“Hey, gorgeous!” Trevor kissed JR.  “You have a bank bag…” JR led him to their table. “What is all this?”

“Gus wants us to try this new recipe he tried today.”

“JR, they look good but what are these for?” Trev pointed to the flowers.

“I just thought they were pretty so when I got flowers for the tables today… I just wanted to...Trevor, you know Ray was coming this morning.”

“Is everything alright?”

“Oh, Trev, of course.” They sat facing each other. “Let’s eat these.” They broke them apart and the pink filling ran out.

“It looks like we have a pink theme going on.” Trev popped some of the treat into his mouth and then picked up the coffee and took a sip.  “I really need to get going to work. This was really sweet.”

“Damn, Trev, I have something to tell you.”

“What is it, JR?”

“Raymond had some news. He wanted to tell me something.”

“What is it, babe?”

“Look at this table, Trev. There is a reason for all of this. Tell me what you see.  Think about it.”

“Well, this strawberry cream cheese thing should be on the menu.  The baby roses are just beautiful.” Behind Trev Gus was writing on the daily specials board. ‘It’s a girl!’  “JR, I really should…”

“Trev,” Gus called. 

Trevor turned around and looked at Gus who had his hands up, pointing at the board. “It’s a girl.” Trevor read it outloud and then turned toward JR.  “It’s a girl,” he repeated.

“Trev, Ray was here.   It’s a girl.  It’s our girl.”

“JR, I don’t …” Trevor looked at JR’s face. “A baby girl? And she’s going to be ours?”

“Yes, love, we will have a baby girl in about a month.” JR walked around the table and Trevor threw his arms around JR as the tears flowed and their mouths met.

The small group of customers cheered as the employees, including Gus, passed out free cookies to everyone.

Ted walked into the bakery at 8:00 and immediately saw the daily special board. “Does that mean what I think it means?” Trev and JR hugged Ted. “We are adopting their baby.  It’s a little girl and in a month….”

Trevor interrupted him, “How the hell are we going to be ready for a baby in a month?”

“Well, I guess you are lucky you know a newly retired grandfather who can’t wait to get his arms around his first grandchild.”

An hour later, things had gotten back to normal.  Trevor was at work and every minute he could manage it he was looking at baby furniture.  Ted had called Victor in Bordeaux and told him the amazing news.  He said he would tell Brian and Justin when they arrived in a couple days.


When Gus got home, Cass met him at the door. She put a hand on his cheek and kissed him. She brought her mouth to his ear, “Fi just fell asleep.  That should give us an hour to do anything you can think of.”

“Anything leaves it open to…”

“Anything!”

“Well, if you insist!” Gus unzipped his pants and he reached under her skirt only to find out she had nothing on under it. “Fuck, woman…” he backed her up so she was pressed against the wall.  “Is this alright? Not too much?”

“No, not too much! I want more.” 

He pulled out his cock, now hard and throbbing.  He lifted her up and using the wall to help support her, he lowered her. As he thrust into her, her body moved up the wall making a soft thud with each thrust. As they both came to the edge, Cass wrapped her arms around his neck and as their lips met they climaxed.  Neither of them remembered slipping to the floor but they sat in each other's arms as they leaned against the wall.

 “That is the best welcome home I have had in a long time. I have to admit I hate that I missed putting Fi down.”

“Are JR and Trev as excited as I think they are?”

“It was so cool to watch.  First seeing it sink in for Trev as JR gave him hints and when Ted arrived...I wish our dads could have seen it. By the way, they didn’t contact you at all today, did they?”

“I think they are still in the air but they should be landing in Paris soon. Aiden did facetime with Fi for a few minutes this morning.  She was so excited.” She stood up and offered her hand to Gus and he took it and stood up. He pulled up his pants and fastened them. “Gus, I know I have only been living here about a month but I think Fiona needs a pet. She will probably always be an only child and I remember GC and Aiden.”

“That is a great idea. She is old enough to understand how to be gentle and a puppy growing up with his girl… I love it.” He pulled her against him, “And I love you.”

“I love you, too.” She took a deep breath. “I heard from the lawyer today and my divorce will be final on Friday and he reminded me, I need to empty out the place I lived with Carl.  I don’t want most of it.  I just want to donate it. There are a few things I’d like.”

“Why don’t we see if Trev or Ted would like Fiona for a couple hours this weekend and we can go over there and take what you want and then I will call one of the shelters to pick up the rest of the stuff. JR has to work, unless we go later in the day.”

“I forgot but I have a whole nursery set up.  I had so much hope.  I thought he wanted the baby as much as I…” Cass dropped her head on his chest.  

“Do you want to keep the furniture in case…”

“NO,” she snapped and then she looked up at him and kissed him.  “I’m sorry. I want to give it all away.  No one else will know the negative incidents that happened.  Someone will be able to have happy memories with it.”

“That sounds perfect. And if we do have a baby, I still have Fi’s crib, if you don’t mind using that.”

“Gus, you know that isn’t…”

Gus stopped her words with a kiss.  “We can have a baby like JR and Trevor.  There are lots of kids that need a good home.”

“Really? You would do that?”

“Of course! Why not?  Martha and I even talked about it.  She loved being pregnant but after we watched a movie about a child who was abandoned, while she was pregnant, she said she wanted to adopt our next baby.”

“I wish I had met her. I think we would have been friends.”

“I do too.” They both looked up the staircase when they heard a door squeak.

“Daddy, you home?”

“I am, baby doll.”

She held onto the railing and started down the curved steps and Gus moved up to meet her.  When they were close Gus picked up his daughter and breathed in deeply. If there was such a thing as the scent of sleep, Fiona smelled like sleep but when he inhaled a second time, he realized there was another scent coming off of her.  It was Cass’ perfume.”

“Hey, babydoll, did you have a fun day with Cass.”

“I did. Cassie played with me.  I wove her.”

“I love her, too, Fi.  Did you talk to Uncle Aidie today?’

“I did! He talked funny to me.”

“Funny?” Gus looked at Cass.

“He spoke in French,” Cass smiled.

“Oh,” Gus laughed.  “Fiona, do you want to help daddy cook?”

“What we eat?”

“Gus, you have been working in the kitchen all day.  I can make dinner.”

“At work, I don’t have two beautiful assistants.” Gus kissed both of them and then walked into the kitchen. “What do you want for dinner, Fi?”

“FRIES!”

Cass and Gus laughed.  Well I am afraid fries are not a whole meal. How about fried fish and fries.  Do you want broccoli or zucchini with it?”

“Cchini please.”

Half an hour later their dinner was all in the air fryer. Gus sat down with Fi and started reading a book. “Daddy, you talk to me?”

“I am reading you a story, sweetie.”

“But, I want to talk to you.”

“Ok, Fi.  What do you want to talk about.”

“I wove you.”

“Oh, Fi.” Gus was so choked up, he couldn’t say anything else. He held onto her tightly.  Fi was starting to squirm when Gus’ phone rang. He pulled it out of his pocket and looked at the screen. “Hey, Uncle Ted, thanks for calling back.  Would you like a little Fi duty tomorrow? Cass needs to clean out her old place and Trev offered to help while JR is at work so Fi needs a babysitter for a couple hours.”

“I would love that.  I miss Vic and your dads. By the way, I talked to Vic and your dads flight should be landing in Paris shortly.”

“Thanks, Ted.  Would you like us to bring her there?”

“No, I’ll come over.  All her things are there.”

“Does 9:00 work for you?”

“That would be great.”

Fi reached for the phone, “Uncle Ted, come play?”

“Yes, love, I’ll be there tomorrow.”

“Ok. Bye bye.” She pressed the button and turned off the phone.


The three of them sat down and ate French fries and zucchini fries and fish with Gus’ special tartar sauce. After they ate and Fi had a long bath with both Gus and Cass assisting, Gus watched Cass help Fi dress in her favorite nightgown and at 8:00 Gus and Cass walked into their bedroom.  Gus walked to the small fridge and pulled out two beers. None for me, Gus. My stomach is a little off.”

“Are you getting sick?” Gus sat down next to her in the oversized chair and wrapped an arm around her.

“I think it is going back to the old place.  A lot of things happened there and…” she stopped talking and dropped her head on his shoulder.

“I am so sorry.” He kissed the top of her head.  “I should have realized that.”

“Gus, you can’t read my mind.”

“I wish I could.”

“Gus, you are always here for me. I just can’t believe I spent so many years with someone like Carl.  I am a little scared of what I will find there.”

“Anything you don’t want to deal with, let me know and Trev and I will take care of it. You can sit in the car if need be.”

“You are so good to me.  I don’t deserve all of this.”

“You deserve the world, my love.”  Gus proceeded to make her forget all her worries. His lips were cold and he tasted of beer. She purred as his hand moved over her curves. “Damn, I don’t think I will ever get enough of you.” Remembering she never had put underwear on his hand nudged her legs apart slightly and he began to stroke her gently. Soon she was unable to sit still and she forgot everything except her new life and true love.


Brian and Justin leaned against each other as they waited for their luggage. “Damn I am getting old. I am wiped out.”

“Bri, we have been flying for 14 hours, I think. I have kind of lost time.” They loaded their bags onto a cart and soon a driver was loading the luggage into a car and Brian and Justin collapsed into the back of the car. Justin pulled out his phone and texted Aiden letting him know that they were in France.  Brian texted Gus, knowing he would be asleep, and just said they had arrived safely. 

When Brian and Justin had checked in they stripped and stood in the shower for a long time, letting the shower work out some kinks. They slowly lathered each other up with the lavender soap in the shower and when they both felt better they kissed for several minutes.

“Babe, we better stop.  I am too tired to take this further than we already have.”

“Me too, but it feels good having your body against mine.”

“It always feels good when you are naked,” Brian swatted his bare ass.  “But, it is definitely time to go to bed and sleep for a few hours.”

They dried off and got into bed.  Resting in each other’s warmth, they fell asleep. Justin wasn’t sure how long he had been asleep but he woke up when he felt a hand sliding down his body. “You weren’t asleep, were you?” Brian purred in his ear.

“I was but if what I think is going to happen, it is well worth it.” Brian’s hand wrapped around his cock and Justin just relaxed as Brian’s mouth found his as his hand continued to move on his stiffening dick. As Brian’s mouth glided downward Justin’s body automatically reacted to what it expected next.  As he felt Brian’s warm mouth come down around him, Justin’s back arched. Moment’s later, Justin shuttered and Brian accepted his offering.  Brian moved back up and kissed him. 

Brian gently nudged Justin and he rolled to his side so Brian had access. He moved against Justin and Justin relaxed allowing Brian easier access. He moved in and out slowly.  He was in no rush.  “I love you, Justin. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else with anyone else.”

Justin turned his head until Brian’s mouth could reach his. “You are stuck with me,” he said with his lips still brushing Brian’s. “Our family is my life.” Justin sighed as Brian came, feeling every movement. Brian didn’t move.  He pulled Justin tightly against him and together they dozed off again.


Ted arrived at Gus and Cass’ right on time. “Teddy!” Fi ran into his arms as he walked in the door.

“Hello, princess. Do you have some things planned for us?”

She nodded with dramatic flair. “Bye, Daddy, bye Cassie.” Fi started leading Ted to the back room. 

“Wait one minute, baby doll.  We have to talk to Uncle Ted for a minute and then we need kisses.” Fi ran to Gus and he picked her up. After Cass showed him a few snacks were and where a change of clothes was just in case she had an accident but she had been doing very well with potty training. “We should be home about noon.”

“Don’t rush. I think I can still make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or some mac and cheese.” Ted smiled over at Fi.  “This is good practice for JR and Trevor’s baby on the way.”

“We are so excited for them,” Cass replied.

“We are, too.” Ted smiled at Gus.  “I am guessing you talked to your dads.”

“Well, they sent a text. Sounds like they had a good trip.”

“Tomorrow they will be with Victor and Aiden.”

“I am sure we will talk to them later.”

“Daddy, bye bye.” Fiona said with an exasperated tone.

“Alright, love.” Gus and Cass each hugged her.  “If you need anything you can text or call.”

“We will be fine.  I am sure Fi will take good care of me,” Ted smiled at the little girl as she nodded.


Twenty minutes later Cass and Gus sat outside of a small house.  “We had only lived here a few months.  We had to because the neighbors told Carl they would report him if they heard us again. Some guy on the force owned this place and we rented it.  Notice there are no neighbors near. I didn’t want to move here. I was sure that would be the end.”

Gus held her close.  “You should never have to see him again.”

“I know.  I am a little scared of what I might find in there.” As Gus kissed her, Trevor pulled up.

“Hey, you two.”

“Hey, Trev, thanks for coming to help.”

“No problem.  We are going to need your help frequently once the little one comes.”

“Trevor, I know JR’s dads will help but if you want to put me in as your daycare a day or two a week, I am sure Fi would love to have a baby around.”

“That would be great.   We are still so surprised about all of this we haven’t thought through the details yet.”

“You will figure it all out. Now, let’s go into this place and get what you want. Then we can go take care of your surprise.”

“Surprise? Gus, what surprise?”

“If he told you it wouldn’t be a surprise.” Trev wrapped an arm around Cass and kissed her cheek. “Let’s get this taken care of.” They grabbed all the boxes he had in the back of his vehicle.

Gus winked at Trev and pulled Cass back to his side. “Watch it, buddy. You’re a married man and this one only has eyes for me.” Gus dropped a kiss on the opposite cheek and together they walked to the house. As they opened the door Gus looked at Cass.  “You are in charge here.  If you want time to go through something, let us know.  If you want me to go through something let me know.”

“Cass, I’ll go through cupboards and toss out what is outdated and if it is still good I will box it up for a food bank.”

“That’s perfect, Trevor. And if I need you to help put something in the vehicles I’ll let you know.” Gus and Cass moved into the bedroom while Trev moved to the kitchen. Gus stayed in the room with Cass but gave her a bit of space.  As she went through the drawers of her clothes she took some jeans and a few shirts but most of it went in bags for a shelter.  Gus went in the bathroom and threw all the half used products away and packed the towels and linens away for charity.  

“Gus,” Cass said softly, “there is a box on the top shelf.  Can you put that in the car?”

“Sure.  You don’t want to go through it?”

“Not now. It is about the only thing I have from my family.  I have moved it with me since I met you but I have never opened it.” 

“You don’t know what is in it at all?”

“Not a clue. My dad dropped it off after my mother died. That is the last time I saw him. I…” Gus squeezed her hand. “I’ll go put this in the back.  It has waited this long.  It can wait a little longer.”

Gus walked into the living room and was surprised how much Trev had gotten through. “Wow, you’re fast.”

“Well, JR has said that a time or two but, truth is, the kitchen was almost completely empty.  He must not have done any cooking. I have a box full of questionable items.  Cass can look through it and see if she wants any of it.” 

“Great, I’ll be right back.” Gus walked out with the box.

Trev looked into the bedroom and found Cass sitting on the very edge of the bed. She was holding something to her chest. “Cassandra, what is it?” Trev sat next to her and wrapped a protective arm around her. Her head fell onto his shoulder. 

“I...I couldn’t stand up anymore but I can’t stand touching his bed.” Trevor slipped an arm under her legs and put her on his lap. 

“Now, you aren’t sitting on the mattress.  What is it, sweetheart?”  she moved her hands down and laying in her hands was a sonogram.  

“We went to this appointment and that night he drank too much and…”

Trevor couldn’t speak.  He was so angry. If that man wasn’t in jail he might take care of himself. 

Cass stood, “Please, don’t tell Gus. I have put him through enough.”

“Cass?” Gus walked into the room and saw how shook up she was.

“Gus,” she walked into his arms, “I guess it all just got to me.”

“Well, if we are done, we can head out.” Gus guided her out of the room.  They all picked up a box and carried them out of the house.  “This coming week the shelter will send a team over and they will finish cleaning it out.  By the end of the month it will be ready to rent again.”

“Thanks, both of you.  I would not have had a clue how to get all this done.”

“Well, you didn’t have to.” They said goodbye to Trevor who was going to stop by the bakery and then meet Gus and Cass back at the house. Once in the car, Gus pulled out and then said, “You know you can tell me anything.”

“And you know I just can’t.”

“We have talked about therapy. Maybe it’s time.”

“I think once this is all settled, I’ll feel better.”

Gus knew that she needed to talk to someone but it could wait.  He had two stops to make.  The first was at the courthouse. “I hope I’m not being presumptuous but I thought we could file for a wedding license.  We don’t have to use it right this moment but …”

“Gus, I want to marry you today.  Do you think we can?”

“No, love, but how about Thursday? That is my next day off.”

“Oh, yes!  Yes!” Cass kissed Gus’ hand. “Now, where are we going?”

“I thought we would go look for a puppy. I think we could all use a fur ball in the house.”

“That sounds perfect.  This day can’t get any better.”

“Well, I’m hoping tonight, in bed, it might get even better.”

“I won’t say no to that.” Cass was so excited.  

Gus had set up an appointment so the license didn’t take long.  Then they went to the dog shelter. They walked down the rows of cages.  Cass stopped by every one but Gus felt a pull down the row.  There was a yip and he had to see who made it.  When Gus got to the middle of the row, he knew he had found what he was looking for.  In the cage was a dog.  He had to be part husky.  He was trying to figure out what the other part was.

“This little guy is the last of his litter,” a voice said from beside him. “He had a reaction to the anesthesia when he was fixed so he wasn’t quite ready when his litter mates were but now he is 100% and looking for a family,” the older gentleman next to him said.

“He’s part husky isn’t he?”

“He is.  The mix is probably an Australian shepherd or something similar.” Cass walked up and dropped down to talk to the pup.  He immediately came to the gate and let her scratch his nose.

“Gus, he is perfect.  He reminds me of GC.”

“GC?” the man questioned.

“I had a couple huskies when I was a boy. They were great dogs for boys.  I...we have an almost three year old and she needs a best friend.”

“Well, I think she just found one.”

An hour later they were completing the paperwork and had purchased everything a home with a new puppy could need.  “Let’s go home.  I can’t wait for Fi to meet this little guy.” Gus kissed Cass and they both walked out with their hands full.


Brian and Justin eventually made it out of the hotel.  A mix of jet lag and passion had kept them in bed for almost 24 hours.  After a short tour of the city of lights, they rented a car and began the trip to Bordeaux.  “We didn’t see much of the city.” Justin said as the wind blew threw his hair in the sporty convertible they had rented.

“Well, at the end of our trip it should be a little less busy and then we can take as much time as we want.  Our tickets have a flexible end date.”

“You know, Aiden has only been away for two weeks and I already miss him like crazy.”

Brian smiled, “I know. Me too.” 

“I bet Ted is ready to have Victor home, too. He has been gone two weeks and will still be one more week before he gets home.”

“But at least he should be home in time for their granddaughter to be born.” 

The three hours went quickly as they curved through the countryside. “It is so beautiful,” Justin sighed.

“In a week we will be at a cottage, just the two of us.”

“Yes, time in the French and Spanish countryside is going to be perfect.”

As they arrived they followed the directions to Victor’s family home.  As they pulled up in front of the lavish house, the door opened.  Aiden and another man stepped out.  Aiden kissed the man on both cheeks and then he left. 

“Do you think Aiden…” Justin started to say.

“Dads!” Aiden came running. After all the hugs and greetings he said, “Come see la maison de l'oncle Victor,” Aiden said in fluent French, as they walked toward the house. “Victor will be home in about half an hour.” 

As the men entered the house a young woman walked through the foyer. “M. Aidan, sont-ce vos pères?”

“Yes, Dads this is Monica.” He turned to her, “Oui, Monica, ce sont mes pères, Brian et Justin.” She rattled off a stream of French and then left the room. “She said she was happy you were here and asked me to take you to your room. She is busy making dinner for us.  She is almost as good a chef as Gus.” Aiden led his dads down the hall to their bedroom.

Aiden sat in the middle of the bed as they unpacked.  Aiden told them all about school and some new friends he had already made.

“The guy that was leaving when we arrived?”

“Oh, Leo? He is in med school with me.”

“That’s great! How is it going?”

“Everyone treats me like I am normal. I’m not looked at like a weird kid.  Oh, and Uncle Vic took me to a friend of his that can help me if I have issues.”

“I did,” Victor’s voice came from the door. “It is good to see you, my friends.” And the reunion continued.


Cass texted Trev to let him know they were just around the corner.  When they pulled up they saw JR was there, too. Cass had the squirming puppy on her lap and held onto him tight as she got out of the SUV.  They left Cass’ boxes in the car for now and Gus grabbed the bag with the most important things for the new puppy. 

The door opened as they approached.  JR stood there with Fiona in his arms. “A puppy!” Fi squealed.  “My puppy?”

“Yes, baby doll.  The puppy is yours.  Let’s shut the door so he can’t run away and then Cass can set him down.”

“It’s a boy?”

“Yes, Fi.” Gus said as he shut the door and Cass bent down and put the squirming fuzzball onto the floor.”

“His name?”

Cass put an arm around Fiona, “You can pick a name for him.  Do you have any ideas?”

“Gerald.  His name is Gerald.”

All the adults looked at each other. “Well, Gerald it is?” Ted said as Gerald created a puddle on the entry floor.