- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks to everyone who has commented - it's much appreciated :) 

 

Chapter 11

 

The Friday after Thanksgiving had been a quiet day in the Kinney-Taylor household, as it usually was. The family tried to relax and move on from the food coma they had gotten themselves into the day before.

 

Everyone had slept in and after some fruit for breakfast, had moved to the living-room for some more rest and relaxation. They had watched a movie together, before Gus and Justin had disappeared to Justin's studio and Brian and Luke had gone out on a run, Brian claiming that he had to run off all the extra calories he had consumed the day before and Luke to stay in shape for his next soccer practice after the Thanksgiving break was over. Vicky had asked Jenny if she wanted to play with her and Jenny had agreed which was how the two of them had ended up in Vicky's room, playing a game on the floor.

 

When Vicky got thirsty, they stopped their game and moved into the kitchen. Jenny was surprised to find Gus and Justin there, having expected them to still be in the studio, but apparently their conversation about Gus' most recent work had moved into the kitchen where she could see several images lying on the table.

 

“Hey, you two. I was just preparing some leftovers from yesterday for lunch. Are you hungry?”

 

“Yes, Papa!” Vicky immediately nodded, walking over to look at what Justin was preparing.


“I could do with some lunch,” Jenny agreed as she made her way over as well.

 

“I was just preparing some turkey sandwiches. Hope that's okay. I think everyone's still too full to conquer the rest of Debbie's Lasagna,” Justin chuckled, looking at everyone in the kitchen.

 

“Don't even mention Lasagna or I'll puke,” Gus sighed, rolling his eyes. “I had way too much last night.”

 

“Sandwiches sound great,” Jenny said. “Is there anything I can do to help?”


Justin smiled at her, but shook his head. “Nah, don't worry. I was planning on preparing some extra ones anyway. Brian and Luke will probably be hungry when they come back from their run.”

 

She then moved over to the table and took a look at the images lying there while Justin continued getting sandwiches done for everyone.


“This looks really cool,” she said as she picked up an image of a black and white painting of two clasped hands holding onto each other tightly.

 

“Thanks,” Gus said, a small blush creeping up on his cheeks. “My professor wants to display it in the end of year show at the end of the semester.”

 

“You are really talented,” Jenny said seriously as she looked through the images on the table, taking in her brother's artwork.

 

“Thanks,” he accepted her praise shyly.


“Yes, thanks, Jenny! He never seems to believe me when I say that he is,” Justin said as he came over, putting two plates with sandwiches in front of them.

 

“You are my father. You're biased,” Gus gave back, rolling his eyes.

 

“And she's your sister,” Justin pointed out, shaking his head. “And you know I wouldn't say that your work was good if I didn't think so.”

 

Deep down Gus knew that Justin wouldn't lie to him. Justin had helped him with his art so much ever since he had been a young boy, had given him so much advice on how to improve his technique over the years and yes, there had been times when Justin had voiced that a certain piece wasn't really working for him, so deep down Gus knew that Justin wouldn't lie to him, but still... it was hard accepting praise from your father, especially if he was a world-renowned artist himself.

 

Before they could continue their conversation, they heard the door of the house opening, announcing the return of Brian and Luke.

 

A couple of seconds later, Luke came into the kitchen, making his way straight to the fridge to get a bottle of water.

 

“Where's your Dad?” Justin asked him when he couldn't see Brian coming into the kitchen with his son.


“Catching his breath,” Luke answered after he had taken a huge gulp of water.

 

“You didn't overdo it, did you?” Justin asked, his voice immediately sounding concerned.

 

“Stop fretting, Sunshine. I am fine,” he heard his husband's reply, who was clearly still trying to catch his breath as he came into the kitchen as well.

 

“Gee, Brian. Are you okay?” Justin immediately made his way over to his sweating and wheezing husband. He rested his hand on Brian's chest, frowning when he noticed the rapid rise and fall of his chest. “You know not to overdo it like this.”

 

After taking a sip of water and trying to control his breathing some more, Brian glared at Justin. “I didn't overdo it. We just went out for a run.”

 

“And you're not 20 anymore,” Justin glared right back at his husband. “You don't have to keep up with Luke.”

 

“Papa, he's fine,” Luke said calmly, looking at his fathers from where he stood. “We took it slow.”

 

Now Brian glared at his son for admitting that they had taken it slow.


“If this is you taking it slow, I don't want to know what you'll look like after a normal run,” Justin huffed as he moved back to the counter where he had been preparing the sandwiches. “You know you're not supposed to overdo it.”

 

He grabbed one of the plates with a sandwich and took it over to where Brian was standing, handing it to him. “Turkey on wholewheat without mayo. Enjoy your lunch!”


Without another word he then left the kitchen and stormed off.

 

“Justin,” Brian called after the younger man and sighed when he didn't stop or reply. He put the plate down on the table, then made to follow his angry husband.

 

“You know he's just worried, Dad,” Gus said quietly, looking at his father from understanding eyes.

 

“He's overreacting,” his father just gave back, as he was about to leave the room. “It was just a run.”

 

“Can you blame him? After everything?” Gus asked with a frown. “He'll always worry.”

 

Brian met his son's eyes and nodded. “I know...” He then turned towards Luke and Vicky. “You guys have lunch, okay? If you need anything, Gus will take care of it.”

 

“Thanks, Dad!” Gus called after his father with a shake of his head as he left the kitchen.

 

Luke grabbed the plate with his sandwich and walked over to the table, plopping down into a chair next to his siblings. “We really took it slow. He didn't overdo it. I was careful that he wouldn't.”

 

“I know,” Gus sighed, before he took a bite out of his sandwich. “You know how Papa worries.”

 

“They will kiss and make up,” Vicky announced, once she had finished her sandwich. “They always do.”

 

“Exactly,” Gus nodded, putting on a smile and agreeing with his little sister. They always did. This wasn't the first time that Justin had worried about Brian overdoing it and Brian had gotten angry with him. It was actually one of the most common reasons they would argue and all three Kinney-Taylor children knew better than to worry about what they had just witnessed. Before long, their fathers would make up and would be as in love as they had ever been.

 

Once everyone had finished lunch, Luke went up to take a shower and Vicky asked Gus if she would be allowed to watch some TV which Gus allowed her to do. That left him and Jenny in the kitchen to clean up after lunch.

 

“I am sorry you had to see that,” Gus said as he picked up his father's sandwich and put some plastic wrap over it to keep it fresh. “Papa is always worried about Dad overdoing it when he exercises.”

 

“Your dad looks pretty fit and in good shape,” Jenny replied, not quite sure she understood why a simple run would cause this argument between the couple that had seemed so in love and in sync the whole time she had been staying with them.

 

“He is,” Gus agreed. “He had lung cancer though. A couple of years ago when he was pregnant with Vicky. They had to remove a big tumour and some part of his lung and ever since Papa is worrying about him every time he is out of breath.”

 

“Oh,” Jenny just said, not quite sure what to make of that information.

 

“He was in pretty bad shape and could have died and... his pulmonary function has never been a full 100% afterwards. He's supposed to take it easy and not overdo it, but... my Dad is stubborn and likes to pretend that everything is alright and he can just do whatever he wants as he used to before. And Papa worries about him, scared that he will overdo it... My Dad used to be on oxygen for a long time after they removed the tumour and... I guess Papa never really forgot what that was like,” Gus shrugged.

 

“That must have been scary,” Jenny said quietly, looking at her brother from understanding eyes.

 

“It was. At the time both my Dad and Vicky could have died and... it was pretty scary. But they both made it and they're both alright. It's all that matters.”

 

“I can't blame your father for being worried though, not after making it through that,” Jenny said quietly.

 

“I know,” Gus agreed, then sighed. “My Dad just doesn't like people worrying about him. And he's not really angry at Papa, he's mostly angry at himself because he knows that he worried him and shouldn't have. They will be fine. Just give them an hour and they will be back to normal.”

 

“Are you sure? Justin seemed pretty angry,” Jenny worried.

 

“They will be fine,” Gus assured her with a nod. “They always are.”

 

Jenny nodded, trusting Gus to know better than her. After all Gus said this had happened before and he knew his fathers better than she did.

 

They then decided to join Vicky in the living-room, watching some TV with her. Luke joined them a bit later as well and they all decided to watch a comedy that would be age appropriate for Vicky as well.

 

***

 

“Sunshine,” Brian sighed as he entered the master bedroom, not surprised to find Justin sitting on their bed, his head in his hands.

 

“Leave me alone,” the younger man muttered angrily, not even looking up at Brian when he spoke.

 

“You're overreacting. I am fine. It was just a run,” Brian said quietly as he made his way into the room.

 

Now Justin looked up and angrily glared at his husband. “I am overreacting? Fuck you, Brian! You were wheezing, barely able to catch your breath...”

 

“Because I was out on a run,” Brian gave back in exasperation. “What did you expect?”

 

“Maybe that you would take it slow and be careful because you know that you're missing part of your lung and that you're not 20 anymore,” Justin angrily gave back.

 

“We took it slow,” Brian said as he moved over to the bed and sat down next to Justin. “You've trained Luke so well, he wouldn't even dare to go on a run with me at the pace he'd usually go.”

 

When Justin just continued to glare at him, Brian shook his head in frustration.

 

“Give me some credit, Sunshine. Don't you think I know how fast I can go and when my body will stop cooperating? Don't you think I know how to read my body and when to take it slow?”

 

When Justin didn't reply, Brian moved a bit closer, bumping his shoulder against the younger man's.

 

“I know that you're worried, but you don't have to be. Do you really think I would overdo it? While I am out on a run with Luke? Do you think I'd put him into that situation? Do you really think I'd risk collapsing while out on a run with him?”

 

After the longest silence between them, Justin finally shook his head. “No.” And he knew that it was the truth. Brian would never put Luke into that situation. He would never put any of his family in that situation.

 

“I know that you worry, but you have to trust me, Sunshine. I am not overdoing it. It was just a simple run. I am fine.”

 

Justin hung his head. “I know.” After the longest time he turned to look at Brian. “You have no idea what hearing you wheeze like that, gasping for breath, does to me...I get so scared that...”

 

When Justin didn't continue, Brian wrapped his arms around the younger man and pulled him closer. “Hey, you're only driving yourself crazy. I am fine, Sunshine. You know that I am.”

 

And it was true, Brian was healthy and all his tests ever since he had beaten the cancer had come back negative, but that didn't mean that the cancer couldn't come back one day. They both knew better than to believe that.

 

“I know,” Justin sighed, resting his head on Brian's shoulder. “I know that it's irrational, but I can't help it. Hearing you catching your breath just worries me.”

 

“Just know that I would never overdo it. I've learned my lesson. I know what I can and can't do. And I would never put Luke into a position like that. Never!”

 

“I am sorry,” Justin whispered, giving Brian's thigh a squeeze. “I caused quite a scene, huh?”

 

“They all know that you're only worried. In fact Gus reminded me of that before I went up here,” Brian chuckled. “They know us so well.”

 

“I didn't mean to make you angry. I overreacted and …”

 

“And I overreacted to you overreacting. We make quite a pair,” Brian chuckled as he gave Justin's shoulder a squeeze.

 

“That we do,” Justin agreed with a smile on his face.

 

“I know that you worry, Sunshine,” Brian continued after a couple of minutes of comfortable silence between them. “And I know that you'll never stop, because I never stop worrying about you and the kids either. It's just who we are...Just try to trust me, okay?”

 

“I do,” Justin said sincerely, before he leaned back from Brian's embrace. “I do... It's just that sometimes I am not perfect and overreact anyway.”

 

“Then it's good that I love you, imperfections and all.”

 

As Justin was about to respond, Brian leaned in for a gentle kiss. “And you're allowed to worry. Actually, it warms my heart to know that you care so much...,” he admitted once their kiss ended.

 

“As if you're any better,” Justin snorted, then held out his hand. Brian immediately took it and started massaging it, almost automatically. “See? I didn't even paint anything today and here you are massaging it.”

 

“It's second nature by now to worry about your hand,” Brian admitted, never stopping his gentle massage. “I can't help it.”

“Even though you know that I wouldn't overdo it and know when to stop before it gets too much,” Justin pointed out.

 

“Yes, even despite that,” Brian sighed. “And I've had 19 years to get used to that worry, you only had 6.”

 

Justin snorted, looking at his hand in Brian's. “I don't think I ever will...”

 

“Neither have I,” Brian admitted, then let go of Justin's hand. “I'll always worry and just like I know I will, I know that you will as well. I'll just need to get used to the fact that you're just worrying and not overreacting.”

 

“We really make quite a pair... It's a good thing we ended up with each other. I don't think anyone else would have had the patience,” Justin whispered, before he leaned in for another kiss.

 

“And I thank God every day that we made it work,” Brian replied, pulling Justin close.


“So do I,” the younger man agreed into the kiss.

 

Once the kiss ended, Brian pulled back. “You really must love me. Kissing me like this... I must stink,” he made a face as he looked down his sweaty shirt.

 

“As if there was any doubt after all these years,” Justin laughed, before he helped Brian get out of his sweaty shirt. He ran a hand over the scar on Brian's chest, gently caressing it. “How about you show me how much you love me while I join you for your shower?”

 

“I can definitely do that,” Brian said huskily, then got up and pulled Justin up with him and towards their ensuite bathroom.

 

Half an hour later, they came out of the bathroom again, got dressed and made their way downstairs again to check how the kids were doing.


They both grabbed their plates with their sandwiches, then joined the kids in the living-room. They didn't notice how Gus nudged Jenny once they had settled in each other's embrace on the sofa, eating their sandwiches, while their bodies were as connected as they could be in front of the kids.

 

“See?” he said as he nodded towards his fathers. “I told you they would be fine.”

 

Jenny nodded, watching with a smile as the two men leaned in for a kiss once they had finished their sandwiches. Everything seemed back to normal between them and she was glad for it. Even though they weren't her fathers, she liked them and wanted them to be happy, not fighting. And it made her glad for her brother to know that he had been right about his fathers and knew them well enough to know that even a fight like that wouldn't be anything that wouldn't be forgotten within an hour.