- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks to everyone who has commented - I really appreciate it :) 

 

Chapter 24

“Your dads were amazing, you know? You should have seen the way they replied to her questions. So calm, but so full of anger, showing her in the way they replied what they thought of her,” Jenny said for what felt like the tenth time to Luke.

 

“Look, can we please not talk about my fathers?” He grumbled, taking a slice of the pizza they had ordered earlier.

 

“Luke,” Jenny started, looking at him intently. “Don't you think that you're being too harsh on them?”

 

“Too harsh?” Luke snorted. “They lied to me, they betrayed me and my dad cost me five years with my Papa... I don't think being angry at them and not wanting to constantly hear about how great they are is too harsh.”

 

“It's just that your dads are really great and it's obvious how much they love you,” Jenny said quietly.

 

“Yeah, so great. Just like everyone else in this family. They're all liars, the bunch of them. Welcome to our lying, backstabbing family. You must be so happy to have found us,” Luke snapped, dropping the piece of pizza back in the box, his appetite suddenly gone.

 

“I am happy,” Jenny said quietly. “I have never had a family before and I have one now...”

 

“You should have hoped for a better one,” Luke muttered.

 

“Damn, Luke! Everyone is out having a celebratory dinner together to celebrate that I can stay here and I cancelled that to spend time with you and all you can do is shit on my happiness.”

 

“Well, you're the one that's going on and on about how great all of them are,” Luke snapped, looking at Jenny angrily.

 

“Because I think they are. No, I don't know them as well as you do, but so far everyone has been nothing but nice and supportive of me. Especially your dads. They paid for our lawyer, they let me stay at your place those first few days, they paid for Gus to fly in last weekend and today... all for me.”

 

“So what, they spent a lot of money. Go them!” Luke rolled his eyes, but refused to meet Jenny's gaze.

 

“Why are you so angry with them?” Jenny asked quietly, looking at Luke closely.

 

“Because they lied. All of them... my parents, my grandparents, my uncles, everyone...”

 

“And you have never lied in your life?” Jenny raised an eyebrow dubiously.

 

“Not about something this big that impacted other peoples lives.”

 

“Fair enough,” Jenny muttered, not quite ready yet to let go. “So they lied. About something that happened 15 years ago when you were a baby and ended ten years ago when you were five. Why make such a big deal about it now?”

 

“What? Excuse me?” Luke shook his head in disbelief. “My dad cost me and my papa five years together and I don't have a right to be angry about that? I don't have a right to be angry that my papa just forgave dad without a single care in the world for how that would make me feel?”

 

“That was between them, Luke. And they worked it out. And from what Gus told me, he didn't just forgive your dad. Gus mentioned that it took months for them to get back together and even longer for them to really move on. He said they went to therapy together to work through what had happened.”

 

“So that makes it all okay?” Luke asked in disbelief.

 

“I just don't get why you are making such a big deal about it now...,” Jenny said quietly. “It's obvious that both your fathers love you so much and from everything I have heard of them and seen of them, I would say they always did... You had a happy childhood, didn't you?”

 

“Yes, but...,” Luke admitted grudgingly, but never got any further to make the point he was about to make.

 

“But you have no idea how lucky you are that you had two parents that love you more than anything, that you have two parents that were always there for you when you needed them, that you had two parents who always made you and your siblings their priority... you have no idea how lucky you have been!” Jenny's voice had risen and it was easy to hear how agitated she was. “Take it from someone who never had that: You were damn lucky! So, instead of complaining about something you can hardly even remember, why don't you thank your lucky stars for having given you these amazing parents?”

 

“And I should just forget that my papa never got to feed me when I was a baby, never got to hold me or sing me to sleep, never got to change my diapers... wasn't there when I was born... I should just forget about all of that?” Luke was fuming now and icy blue eyes glared at Jenny.

 

“What difference does it make to your life?” Jenny just asked, shaking her head.

 

“Excuse me?”

“No, I mean, if you think about it... what difference would it have made if your papa would have been there to do all those things. You were a baby, you wouldn't have remembered anyway and... your dad did all those things. From everything I have heard, he always took great care of you, didn't he?”

 

“So that makes it okay?”

 

“No, but... maybe it would put some things into perspective. You had a father that loved you, that pretty much changed his life for you and Gus and took care of you both in an amazing way... you have never been abandoned by a parent... you have never been left to your own devices, to take care of yourself... you have never been blamed for costing too much money, for taking up too much time... Do you have any idea how lucky you are?”

 

“Oh, so now I should just forgive my dad for being a colossal asshole because he didn't abandon me like your mom did with you? Did with Gus?”

 

Jenny got up, angrily slamming her hands on the table. “You know what? Forget it! You have no idea how lucky you have been. You have no idea what it feels like to ask yourself why your parents don't love you and don't care about you... instead you are here bitching and moaning about the fact that your fathers did all they could to give you a happy childhood. What would you have had your papa do? Hate your dad for the rest of his life? Yeah... I am sure you would have had an equally great childhood then with them both fighting all the time about how to raise you and who gets to see you when and for how long... You wouldn't have your sister then... did you ever think about that? You love Vicky, but if your father hadn't forgiven your dad... I doubt they would have ever had her, would they? You go on and on about things you can't even remember because you were just a baby when really... have you ever asked yourself how your father feels about not having been there when you were born? Have you ever asked yourself what it feels like to him to know that he never changed your diapers, that he never saw your first steps or heard your first word? Can you imagine how that must have hurt him? And still he was able to forgive your dad because he loved him and ... I would bet because he also loved you and wanted you to grow up happily. All you do is complain, but have you ever thought how much it has cost your father to forgive your dad? How much it must have cost your dad to know that he caused so much pain and hurt to the people he loved most... And yet they worked through all of that and grew into a strong family, giving you and Gus a happy home and childhood. You need to get some perspective, Luke,” Jenny ended, before she turned away from the table and headed for the door.

 

“Jenny,” Luke called after her. “Where are you going?”

 

She stopped for a second and turned around to glare at him. “Where I should have been to begin with. To celebrate with my family. A family that loves me and cares about me... a family that also loves you and cares about you. If only you could get your head out of your own ass long enough to see it.”

 

She went to open the door, then turned around one more time for one final parting shot. “I lost my mother today... She left without even saying a single word to me and I have no illusions about her getting in contact anytime soon... But you... you have two fathers that love you more than anything, even now. You should have seen the way your Dad defended you moving out to the lawyer... the way both your dads told me to cancel the dinner with the whole family to go and spend time with you... They love you so much if only you could see it.”

 

“The lawyer?” Luke frowned. “What does the lawyer have to do with anything?”

 

Jenny sighed. “Your fathers told the lawyer that you had moved out in case my mom had found out somehow and planned to use it against them, against us... The lawyer asked them if there was any chance that you could move back into their house for the hearing, just to avoid giving her any ammunition against our case and your Dad told him that he would not ask you to move back in. That you were angry, had a right to be angry and that they respected your feelings and would not force you to do anything you weren't ready to do. Everyone could hear the pain in his voice as he said it, but I know that he meant every word. Even now your dad loves you so much and respects you and your feelings so much... You have no idea how lucky you are!”

 

With that Jenny turned around and left Emmett's house for good, leaving a wide-eyed Luke behind.

 

 

***

 

“Jenny! You came!” Vicky exclaimed when she saw Jenny make her way over to their table. They had just finished their main courses and were ready to order dessert.

 

“Hey Vicky,” Jenny said, forcing herself to smile at the happy girl that was greeting her with open arms. She happily went into those arms and hugged the girl back.

 

“I am so happy you can stay with us,” Vicky said seriously as she pulled back and looked at Jenny.

 

“So am I,” Jenny nodded, then shyly waved at everyone at the table. “Hi, everyone.”

 

“What are you doing here? I thought you would be with Luke?” Gus asked with a frown as he looked at his sister. It was Justin who put a hand on his arm and shook his head, indicating that Gus shouldn't ask any more questions.

 

It had been obvious to Justin that something was wrong. He had seen the tension in Jenny the moment she had arrived at their table and he wasn't sure, but it almost looked as if she had been crying not too long ago.

 

Gus took the hint and immediately went on, before Jenny could answer. “Well, it's good you are here now. We were just about to order dessert.”

 

“Dessert sounds perfect,” Jenny said quietly as she sat down in a chair next to her brother that Brian had just organised for her. She looked at him gratefully. “Thanks.”

 

“You're welcome,” he said, eying her curiously, before he went back to his own seat between Justin and Vicky.

 

He shared a look with Justin and they both nodded slightly. Something had happened, they just weren't sure what and now was not the time to find out what exactly had happened.

 

Most other people around the table didn't seem to have noticed that something was wrong and the happy atmosphere soon engulfed Jenny as well. Within minutes she was laughing as well and was glad that she had decided to join her new family for this dinner after all.

 

Once everyone was done with dessert and ready to start going home, Brian discreetly left the table to go and pay for everything.

 

He was surprised when Jenny joined him a minute later.

 

“I am sorry for just showing up like that. I should have called first to see if it was alright,” she said quietly, hanging her head.


“Don't be ridiculous,” Brian waved away her concerns, looking at her curiously. “This dinner was in your honour, so you had every right to be here.”

 

“Yeah, but I said I wouldn't and then...”

 

“You changed your mind,” Brian shrugged. “It happens. All we needed was another chair. No harm done.”

 

“Thanks,” Jenny said quietly, still not looking at him.

 

“Jenny, is everything okay?” He asked, his voice full of concern. “When you came here... you looked like you'd been crying...did something happen? With Luke?”

 

She shrugged. “We had a fight...”

 

“Oh,” Brian said, not quite sure how to react to that.

When Jenny finally looked up and met his gaze, he understood what they had been fighting about.

 

“Oooh,” he said, this time running a hand over his face. “Jenny, I am sorry you got pulled into our mess...”

 

“It's my own fault,” she said. “I shouldn't have said anything, but... I just couldn't keep my mouth shut.”

 

“If you need to talk about it,” Brian started unsurely, but then didn't quite know how to continue. He really didn't feel comfortable talking to Jenny about her fight with Luke which had clearly been about him. He was so out of his league. Where was Justin when he needed him? He would know what to say to her.

 

“I just want you to know that I think you and Justin are amazing fathers and Luke is a fool not to see that...”

 

“Jenny,” Brian started, looking at her sadly. “Luke is angry with us for a good reason...”

 

“He has two fathers who love him and he has no idea how lucky that makes him... who cares what happened ten, fifteen years ago?” She said, her eyes once again blazing with anger.

 

“It's not that easy,” Brian said slowly, giving her shoulder a gentle squeeze. “He's hurt because we lied to him...”

 

“Yeah, but... he's so angry with Justin for forgiving you and I don't think he ever thought about what the alternative would have been. I mean... what if you guys hadn't worked through it and... what would his childhood have been like then? He acts like he has no idea how lucky he is...”

 

“Jenny,” Brian looked at her from sad eyes. “He doesn't know...He was so young when everything happened and afterwards... Luke has always had two parents around that loved him and took care of him. He doesn't know what it's like not to be loved,” he said quietly, meeting her gaze head-on. “We can't blame him for that.”

 

“But...,” Jenny started, only to be stopped by Brian, who looked at her sadly.

 

“I know why it makes you angry. Especially in light of what happened today. I get it, Jenny, I do, but... Luke is lucky enough to never have been in your situation... in Gus' situation... in my situation... in Justin's situation. He has no idea what it feels like to be rejected by a parent and we can't blame him for that.”

 

“It's just... he made me so angry when he would go on and on about how bad this family is when he knows that they're the only family I have...,” she whispered, tears now running down her cheeks.

 

Brian took her hand and pulled her closer, wiping away the tears from her face. “Well, those are the Taylor genes in him... He got that from Justin... They can both be quite infuriating at times,” Brian joked, trying to lighten the mood a bit. “It's just a very complicated situation for him and everyone involved and I am sorry it ruined your day, today of all days...”

 

Jenny nodded, surprising Brian when she hugged him.

 

“Thank you! For everything you've done for me. I am very grateful and... I am grateful for the family I've found here,” she whispered into the embrace.

 

Brian hugged her back, not quite sure what else to do.

 

“And we are glad you're here with us and here to stay with us... Just give Luke a bit of time...”

 

She nodded, then pulled back from the embrace and wiped her tears from her face. “Sorry for laying this on you when... I know that it must be hard for you as well...”

 

“Hey, no apologies needed. That's the good thing about family. They can't run from you when you feel bad... they have to stay and listen to you, no matter what.” He winked to show her that he had mostly been joking.

 

Thankfully she seemed to have gotten that and smiled in return. “Thanks!”

 

She then excused herself to go to the restroom to clean up and Brian returned to the table where Justin was already waiting for him with a questioning gaze when he returned to his seat.


“She had a fight with Luke...,” was all he said quietly and while Justin looked concerned, he only nodded, knowing that this was not the time and place to discuss that fight between Jenny and their son.

 

Jenny returned a minute later and everyone got ready to leave the restaurant.

 

Outside in the parking lot, everyone hugged some more and said goodbye, agreeing to meet again on Sunday for their weekly family dinner which would take place at Britin this week.

Gus and Jenny made plans for the following day and much to Vicky's delight included her and promised her that she could come along when they met for lunch and maybe a movie afterwards.

 

While everyone else was talking and saying goodbye, Brian quietly drew Emmett to the side. “Jenny and Luke had a fight earlier. That's why she came here after all,” he said quietly, not surprised when Emmett immeditaly looked concerned.

 

“Oh my, are they both okay?”

 

Brian shrugged. “Jenny was hurt by Luke's comments about the family which of course are our fault because he's angry with us and... well, apparently they fought about us as well...”

 

“They seemed to get on so well,” Emmett said quietly. “She came by a couple of times last week and Luke always seemed happier afterwards.”

 

“Would you mind checking that he's okay when you get home? I just... I don't feel comfortable knowing that he's all alone while everyone else was at dinner together and... I know that Sunhine worries...”

 

“Of course,” Emmett immediately nodded. “I'll make sure he's okay the minute I get home.”

 

“Thanks, Honeycutt!” Brian said, his voice serious, conveying that he was really thankful for Emmett's help. “Thanks for everything.”

 

“Don't call me, Honeycutt,” Emmett replied automatically, before looking at Brian closely. “And you don't have to thank me. You know I love him and want him to be okay.”

 

Brian nodded, knowing that indeed. Emmett loved all their children and had always been a great uncle to all of them, not just Vicky who was his goddaughter.

 

“If you could just give us a call later on? I know it would calm Justin down,” Brian said and Emmett nodded, not replying anything else, but knowing full well that it wouldn't only calm Justin down, but Brian as well.

 

It was obvious how much Brian cared about his son and his well-being and how much it hurt him that he couldn't check on Luke himself right now. Emmett could see it on the older man's face as clear as day. Brian was hurting from the whole situation but was trying to hide it as well as he could.

 

Brian clapped his shoulder in thanks, then moved away and returned back to the group where everyone was finally getting cold and ready to get into their cars to head to their warm homes.

 

“Emmett will call us later,” was all he said to Justin before he got into the car where Gus and Vicky were already waiting.

 

Justin met Brian's gaze with a concerned one of his own, clearly having seen that Brian had been talking to Emmett and knowing what they had talked about. He nodded back at Brian, then got into the car himself.

 

Two minutes later they were on their way home to Britin.